Disney has built last park in Central Florida

MickeyTigg

thedisneyfan said:
A new park does draw bigger crowds to all of WDW and makes a big splash for promoting the whole thing. An American park will draw more Americans to WDW, seeing that they are the biggest population of guests to begin with.

Where are you getting that from? AK did not bring more people to WDW, nor did it get people to stay longer...in fact it canabalized the attendence of the other parks.

BigKahuna

No more additional parks!

I agree with Disneyfan. Expansion to the existing parks would
be much better than builiding a new park. Look at the excitement
with Expedition Everest, or Mission Space? A new attraction brings
attendance levels up more than a new park, in my opinion. And
some new countries in Worldshowcase is a great idea. India would
be cool, but how about Brazil? They could offer a "Amazon river"
type cruise! Also, remember a few years ago, where they had
countries with small exhibts housed in the building over near Canada?
Why not make that a permanent exhibt?

NautOneFL

Uhhh - I beg to disagree....

TiggerRPh said:
Where are you getting that from? AK did not bring more people to WDW, nor did it get people to stay longer...in fact it canabalized the attendence of the other parks.

From what I saw on Sat. I beg to disagree - all the parks were slammed and attendance was up at all four parks. We could not get away from the crowds. Cannabalize - no. Add more space for more people - yes. Think of what happens when you add on to your house - you get more stuff. More room = more people. A 5th and possibly 6th park would only add to the space that they can fit people in.

As far as your observations on people staying longer, I think that it can go both ways. The average trip to WDW seems to be about 3-5 days for people across country and a weekend for people who can drive to WDW in one day. Personally, I go every weekend due to my pass and stay about once a month. And I can tell you that most visitors that I talk to go to all four parks and one of the competition while they are there. It is easier for them to float around and see everything than to plan one day, one park.

And don't get me started on the cruises.

Sorry for a scorching response, as I have not read the last 100 posts, but this statement needed clarification from someone on the frontlines.

-J

NautOneFL

BigKahuna said:
I agree with Disneyfan. Expansion to the existing parks would
be much better than builiding a new park. Look at the excitement
with Expedition Everest, or Mission Space? A new attraction brings
attendance levels up more than a new park, in my opinion. And
some new countries in Worldshowcase is a great idea. India would
be cool, but how about Brazil? They could offer a "Amazon river"
type cruise! Also, remember a few years ago, where they had
countries with small exhibts housed in the building over near Canada?
Why not make that a permanent exhibt?

I also agree - but there are two concepts that could be here - Florida Adventure and Disney Sea. Where I can see these integrated into existing parks, I also know that there is precious little room left around MK, Epcot, and MGM. I am a big fan of putting in a central parking facility and building a new park on MK parking lot and/ or Epcot's parking lot similar to what was done at Disneyland. From a planning standpoint, this makes the most sense to me - concentrate the parks together and keep some open wooded areas to keep the differentials.

Just my $0.02

/Flame on!

speck76

Original Poster
NautOneFL said:
From what I saw on Sat. I beg to disagree - all the parks were slammed and attendance was up at all four parks. We could not get away from the crowds. Cannabalize - no. Add more space for more people - yes. Think of what happens when you add on to your house - you get more stuff. More room = more people. A 5th and possibly 6th park would only add to the space that they can fit people in.

As far as your observations on people staying longer, I think that it can go both ways. The average trip to WDW seems to be about 3-5 days for people across country and a weekend for people who can drive to WDW in one day. Personally, I go every weekend due to my pass and stay about once a month. And I can tell you that most visitors that I talk to go to all four parks and one of the competition while they are there. It is easier for them to float around and see everything than to plan one day, one park.

Sorry for a scorching response, as I have not read the last 100 posts, but this statement needed clarification from someone on the frontlines.

-J
It took from 1998 until 2004 for WDW as a whole to grow total park attendance beyond what it was prior to DAK opening.....

DAK did not, until recently, have positive effects on total park attendance.

MGM and Epcot both had a few years of double-digit declines in attendance when DAK opened.

MickeyTigg

NautOneFL said:

-J

No need to apologize....you're just wrong. You're talking about the beginning of Spring Break for many schools so this is a "peak time". If you look at the news articles from when AK opened up.....total attendance for the WDW parks has not increased significantly from pre 9/11.

AK has not increased attendance...nor will another park.

speck76

Original Poster
NautOneFL said:
I also agree - but there are two concepts that could be here - Florida Adventure and Disney Sea. Where I can see these integrated into existing parks, I also know that there is precious little room left around MK, Epcot, and MGM. I am a big fan of putting in a central parking facility and building a new park on MK parking lot and/ or Epcot's parking lot similar to what was done at Disneyland. From a planning standpoint, this makes the most sense to me - concentrate the parks together and keep some open wooded areas to keep the differentials.

Just my $0.02

/Flame on!

Florida Adventure.....why?....*worst idea ever*

DisneySea.....

hmm....how about a "new idea"

Central parking = traffic nightmare.....un-needed expense. It was the only option in CA, where the park is surrounded by development......it is not the only option here.....probably not even on the drawing board.

Plenty of land still exists......if a new park is ever built....why put it so close to the MK......it would ruin the isolated feeling of being in the MK

NautOneFL

TiggerRPh said:
No need to apologize....you're just wrong. You're talking about the beginning of Spring Break for many schools so this is a "peak time". If you look at the news articles from when AK opened up.....total attendance for the WDW parks has not increased significantly from pre 9/11.

AK has not increased attendance...nor will another park.

Not going to be in a flame war with you, but from actually seeing the parks themselves - attendance is up to pre-9/11 and is growing. Tourism officials have been touting the growing number all over the place. Where as your numbers (from whatever source you have) may show the same attendance as pre-9/11, the fact is that the crowds are starting to come. Bookings are up and to tell you the truth - ALL parks were busy three weeks ago BEFORE spring break season.

I see that you are DVC - how often do you go?

-J

wannab@dis

speck76 said:
It took from 1998 until 2004 for WDW as a whole to grow total park attendance beyond what it was prior to DAK opening.....

DAK did not, until recently, have positive effects on total park attendance.

MGM and Epcot both had a few years of double-digit declines in attendance when DAK opened.
Did the increase of total park attendance have to do with DAK or was it more in line with the increase of tourism after 9/11 and more people travelling in general?

It's hard to say if 9/11 affected the capability of DAK increasing attendance or not. I'm not sure many people decided to go to WDW just because of the addition of DAK. However, it may be a catalyst for travelling sooner or for returning.

I tend to think new parks will only be needed to 'spread out' guests and MAYBE to increase length of stay. But I'm not really sure it will entice them to come in the first place. That's why I'm a proponent of changes/additions to existing parks to further balance out the existing offerings.

NautOneFL

speck76 said:
Florida Adventure.....why?....*worst idea ever*

DisneySea.....

hmm....how about a "new idea"

Central parking = traffic nightmare.....un-needed expense. It was the only option in CA, where the park is surrounded by development......it is not the only option here.....probably not even on the drawing board.

Plenty of land still exists......if a new park is ever built....why put it so close to the MK......it would ruin the isolated feeling of being in the MK

Two words: Urban Sprawl.

My suggestions could also be looked at as expansions. And from a planning aspect - central parking (cars at the edge of WDW as opposed to in the central part) allows you to create a more isolated experience - without tons of cars running around. The immagineers have proven time and time again that they know how to run traffic through the parks. All this is speculation at this point and people can get way overly passionate about thier opinions. My personal opinion is that they should bring the other parks up to speed before they do anything. Sat - there was paint peeling on the benches outside the hacienda across from POC and there were lots of maintenance issues arounnd.

MickeyTigg

NautOneFL said:
Not going to be in a flame war with you, but from actually seeing the parks themselves - attendance is up to pre-9/11 and is growing. Tourism officials have been touting the growing number all over the place. Where as your numbers (from whatever source you have) may show the same attendance as pre-9/11, the fact is that the crowds are starting to come. Bookings are up and to tell you the truth - ALL parks were busy three weeks ago BEFORE spring break season.

Why do you insist on making this discussion hostile?

:lookaroun

Disagreeing with your opinion is not a flame war.

I don't care what you've seen....the numbers will prove you wrong. AK has been open for over 5 years I believe and attendance figures have just approached pre 9/11 numbers with in the last year or so.

Yes...attendance increasing but not because of AK and it never has. If you look at the numbers MK, Studios, and Epcot numbers went down when AK opened.

Most experts will tell you that additional parks at any one location will not cause increased attendance...it will cause canibalization....look it up.

I'm done discussing this because it's just pointless to try.

MKCP 1985

NautOneFL said:
My personal opinion is that they should bring the other parks up to speed before they do anything. Sat - there was paint peeling on the benches outside the hacienda across from POC and there were lots of maintenance issues arounnd.
:brick: Oh, boy. If you want to see maintenance issues, try the competition.

I challenge anyone to find a better maintained, visually appealing public place than a Disney park.

I'll bet there is no bird p00p or chipped paint in heaven, but if you look hard enough, you'll find it EVERYWHERE else. :wave:

speck76

Original Poster
NautOneFL said:
Two words: Urban Sprawl.

My suggestions could also be looked at as expansions. And from a planning aspect - central parking (cars at the edge of WDW as opposed to in the central part) allows you to create a more isolated experience - without tons of cars running around. The immagineers have proven time and time again that they know how to run traffic through the parks. All this is speculation at this point and people can get way overly passionate about thier opinions. My personal opinion is that they should bring the other parks up to speed before they do anything. Sat - there was paint peeling on the benches outside the hacienda across from POC and there were lots of maintenance issues arounnd.

Urban Sprawl???? I fail to see how that has anything to do with WDW.

Considering people will still need to drive to the hotels, the current road system is still needed. To add auxillary transportation to another location to pick-up the remainder of the guests is a waste of money......you are talking about BILLIONS of dollars being spent to solve a problem that does not exist.

You guys realize this article is ancient pre-management change right? Disney will continue to invest in Disneyland and WDW just dont expect the addition of entire theme parks. A 5th. gate will happen just not in the next 5-10 years. I'm personally glad because now they can focus on building up existing parks and realizing there potential.

speck76

Original Poster
NautOneFL said:

I see that you are DVC - how often do you go?

-J

<----tourism official

Visitor counts are up....the tourism growth is down.

The second half of this year will be "challenging" to say the least.

The volitility of the tourist segment in Orlando is still high....which is why you see limited hotel construction.....and no park construction. Even SeaWorld's new waterpark was pushed back a year...maybe longer.

speck76 said:
<----tourism official

Visitor counts are up....the tourism growth is down.

The second half of this year will be "challenging" to say the least.

The volitility of the tourist segment in Orlando is still high....which is why you see limited hotel construction.....and no park construction. Even SeaWorld's new waterpark was pushed back a year...maybe longer.

You know when tourism growth is down thats when your supposed to build grand rides to entice people to come back.

speck76

Original Poster
Ghostbuster626 said:
You know when tourism growth is down thats when your supposed to build grand rides to entice people to come back.
not correct....many times building your way out of a bad economy is not going to work.

In addition, by the time the economy improves, the "new" attractions are now old.......so their impact is less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom