Disney has built last park in Central Florida

Bullredchaser

I believe MgM and DAK need some work but at the same time they are losing money by not opening a 5th park.For instance when my mom came last month for a Disney vacation we went to the 4 Disney Parks as well as Islands of Adventure,Universal Studios,and Busch Gardens.We didnt go to Sea World because theres one in San Antonio already.My mother doesnt feel too comfortable at water parks since she is somewhat handicapped which is why we didnt take her to Blizzard Beach,TLagoon,and Sea Worlds Discovery Cove. She will however ride the heck out of rollercoasters,mission space,and whatever else you can throw at her.But I guarantee that if there was a 5th Disney Park she would of gone as well.At the present the wife and I have a year pass to every park but Cypress Gardens.If I had to pay 60.00 more for another park I would gladly pay.As far as can people afford to stay that long.Most vacations to Orlando last 2 weeks already so for the most part they are just revisiting the parks over and over again.

MiklCraw4d

Bullredchaser said:
<snip>
If I had to pay 60.00 more for another park I would gladly pay.As far as can people afford to stay that long.Most vacations to Orlando last 2 weeks already so for the most part they are just revisiting the parks over and over again.

Wow, I want their job! And here I think I'm lucky if I can manage a four day trip...

Real_Epcot_Fan

speck76 said:
Well, The Orlando Slantinel is very good at reporting opinions, and not fact, and most of these "special reports" always have some type of hidden agenda by the newspaper (read the Orange County Convention Center piece of crap they published a few weeks ago...which was basically the newspaper's complaining for a new arena for the Orlando Tragic)

And they are right to do it!!! Is better a new Arena than a super bigger Convention Center, the Orlando Sentinel was right and every person who lives in Orlando and care about THE MAGIC not the Stupid Tragic (i bet the team you follow is eliminated too) should complain and ask for one, and you act as you know it all and are kinda like God or the Disney CEO, or soem wall street guy expert in finances. yeah sure, keep living in speckland

GO MAGIC GET THE NEW ARENA!!! And when it turns like the Heat did (2 years ago ended last in the conference) then we will see who you call Tragic! :fork:

GO ORLANDOOOO MAGIC!!

MiklCraw4d

Real_Epcot_Fan said:
And they are right to do it!!! Is better a new Arena than a super bigger Convention Center, the Orlando Sentinel was right and every person who lives in Orlando and care about THE MAGIC not the Stupid Tragic (i bet the team you follow is eliminated too) should complain and ask for one, and you act as you know it all and are kinda like God or the Disney CEO, or soem wall street guy expert in finances. yeah sure, keep living in speckland

I hate to say it (and go off topic), but I would think a Convention Center would be a lot more beneficial to Orlando than shelling out big bucks to build the Magic a new arena. I didn't know they were asking for one, but I shouldn't be surprised as it seems every NBA franchise is constantly whining for one. I'd tell them to build their own darn arena, or at least win a few games first. Maybe Disney'll let them turn the Wonders of Life dome into a stadium? :)

Real_Epcot_Fan said:
GO MAGIC GET THE NEW ARENA!!! And when it turns like the Heat did (2 years ago ended last in the conference)

Shaq is transferring to Orlando? :)

speck76

Original Poster
Real_Epcot_Fan said:

GO MAGIC GET THE NEW ARENA!!! And when it turns like the Heat did (2 years ago ended last in the conference) then we will see who you call Tragic! :fork:

GO ORLANDOOOO MAGIC!!

And exactly how is a new arena better for Orlando?

The Convention Center brings amny people to the city, fills hotels rooms and restaurants, and keeps many people employed.

The Magic....they do not bring people to Orlando, they do not fill hotel rooms or restaurants, and they do not contribute much to the local economy.

On top of this.....the Billionaire owner of the Magic wants the taxpayers to pay for the new arena. Why should we pay for it? Why, because it is not a good investment, otherwise he would pay for it. Orange County recently listed a new arena for the Magic as #50 on a survey of the top 50 items that they wanted tax money spent on.

The Slantinel's solution.....have the TOURISTS pays for it. Yes, that is right, the next time you visit Orlando, you will pay more in hotel taxes, so a Billionaire from Michigan (the co-founder of Amway) can make millions more on his basketball team.

I believe that most of us agree that a 5th park in the near future isn't a good idea. But my problem is with the "clones" and "prudent" original attractions. I hope that this doesn't mean that we are heading back into the time where the parks aren't being well maintained again and safety and cleanliness are lost again. If it means that new original attractions like EE are added and expansions of the currrent parks occur, then I'll be happy. If it means no expansions and regurgitated attractions :hurl: that will cause WDW to lose its uniqueness and originality, then I will be very disappointed and will adjust my visits accordingly. For now, I will remain optimistic and hope for the best. Only time will tell.

Bullredchaser

I agree speck,I have friends from all over America that come to Orlando for Conventions but have not heard of one single person or business associate that flew from out of town to see a basketball game.

Real_Epcot_Fan

Well almost every arena of a pro team is paid by the city, so that means is paid by the fans and from the local economics profits including tourism, and i am a huuuge Orlando Magic fan, and love to follow their games thru ESPN latin america when they broadcast one, b NBA radio on the internet and check the scores and highlights. Other cities also paid for their teams and their teams arent World Champions, like the Bengals fan did with for the new stadium a few years ago. And even the AA Arena when it was inaugurated, the Heat wasnt a very good team, so things can quickly turn, and is better that than the franchise moving to KC or any other place, sports is very important and exciting.

And ok De Vos is millionaire, so what? every owner of pro sports are millionaires and they all get their arenas constructed by the cities, so Go Magic!!!

speck76

Original Poster
MiklCraw4d said:
I hate to say it (and go off topic), but I would think a Convention Center would be a lot more beneficial to Orlando than shelling out big bucks to build the Magic a new arena. I didn't know they were asking for one, but I shouldn't be surprised as it seems every NBA franchise is constantly whining for one. I'd tell them to build their own darn arena, or at least win a few games first. Maybe Disney'll let them turn the Wonders of Life dome into a stadium? :)

The fact is that the majority of the taxes raised by the hotels in the city is done so by hotels in the I-Drive and LBV areas. The managers at the larger hotels in these two areas also hold important positions with the CVB and CFHLA boards, and they have a lot of influence in this.

I-Drive and LBV hotels want 2 things......more conventions, and more tourism development.

As for the Sentinel....they were running articles a few years back on how the hotel bed tax should be used to fund our schools in Orange county. (why should tourists pay for our kids to get educated :confused: ) They ran some articles that basically said "Tourists are the root to all of Orlando's problems". It is quite funny how when Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt all refused to allow the Sentinel to deliver at their hotels (which pads circulation numbers) because of these articles, the articles stopped.

speck76

Original Poster
Real_Epcot_Fan said:
Well almost every arena of a pro team is paid by the city, so that means is paid by the fans and from the local economics profits including tourism, and i am a huuuge Orlando Magic fan, and love to follow their games thru ESPN latin america when they broadcast one, b NBA radio on the internet and check the scores and highlights. Other cities also paid for their teams and their teams arent World Champions, like the Bengals fan did with for the new stadium a few years ago. And even the AA Arena when it was inaugurated, the Heat wasnt a very good team, so things can quickly turn, and is better that than the franchise moving to KC or any other place, sports is very important and exciting.

And ok De Vos is millionaire, so what? every owner of pro sports are millionaires and they all get their arenas constructed by the cities, so Go Magic!!!

Orlando is a smaller city than most that have pro sports teams. Myself, I am a Pistons fan, and the owner of the Pistons built an arena on his own dime. He could have probably had the city pay for it, Metro Detroit has over 5million people....but he didn't.

Just because other cities do pay for it, does not make it right.

If you lived in Orlando, I might actually care for what you have to say about this, but you do not. The city passed a 1/2 cent sales tax increase to fund schools......on like the 3rd try, it finally passed. The city has MAJOR traffic issues, but could not pass a 1/2 cent sales tax increase (I voted YES) to fund road contruction. The city has a crime problem. The trauma center at the major hospital was almost closed last year due to lack of funding.

Taxpayers do not want to pays for the essentials....roads, schools, healthcare, but above all, they do not want to pad the wallet of a Billionaire.....one who can not keep his good players, and can not put a good team on the court.

PhotoDave219

speck76 said:
As for the Sentinel....they were running articles a few years back on how the hotel bed tax should be used to fund our schools in Orange county. (why should tourists pay for our kids to get educated :confused: ) /QUOTE]

Maybe then we'd get better educated kids.... :lol: ... but seriously, i still hold tight to my belief that the only effective government in Florida is the Ready Creek Imrovement District..... maybe they could get a school system going that wouldnt rank in the bottom 1/2 of the nation.....

speck76

Original Poster
PhotoDave219 said:
speck76 said:
As for the Sentinel....they were running articles a few years back on how the hotel bed tax should be used to fund our schools in Orange county. (why should tourists pay for our kids to get educated :confused: ) /QUOTE]

Maybe then we'd get better educated kids.... :lol: ... but seriously, i still hold tight to my belief that the only effective government in Florida is the Ready Creek Imrovement District..... maybe they could get a school system going that wouldnt rank in the bottom 1/2 of the nation.....

bottom half....you are being too generous.....I think FloriDUH is around #46

but hey....we beat Mississippi! :sohappy: :lookaroun

speck76

Original Poster
Bullredchaser said:
I agree speck,I have friends from all over America that come to Orlando for Conventions but have not heard of one single person or business associate that flew from out of town to see a basketball game.

The biggest issue is the options that these conventions have. The International Home Builders Convention that was here for 4 days in January brought almost $200million to the area........

$200million in 4 days

I read that The Orlando Magic bring about $6million a year to the area.

$6million over a year, or $200million in 4 days.......hmmmmm

If we raise our taxes, the conventions would be forced to spend more money.....but they don't....instead, they go to Las Vegas.

Real_Epcot_Fan

speck76 said:
Orlando is a smaller city than most that have pro sports teams. Myself, I am a Pistons fan, and the owner of the Pistons built an arena on his own dime. He could have probably had the city pay for it, Metro Detroit has over 5million people....but he didn't.

Just because other cities do pay for it, does not make it right.

If you lived in Orlando, I might actually care for what you have to say about this, but you do not. The city passed a 1/2 cent sales tax increase to fund schools......on like the 3rd try, it finally passed. The city has MAJOR traffic issues, but could not pass a 1/2 cent sales tax increase (I voted YES) to fund road contruction. The city has a crime problem. The trauma center at the major hospital was almost closed last year due to lack of funding.

Taxpayers do not want to pays for the essentials....roads, schools, healthcare, but above all, they do not want to pad the wallet of a Billionaire.....one who can not keep his good players, and can not put a good team on the court.

Yes i dont live in Orlando, but i love Orlando to death, i adore the city, and thats precisely why i am an Orlando Magic fan and not a Pistons fan or any other team fan, because of the love i have for the city, as i am a Huge Predators fan too. And i hope to move to Orlando someday and hope theres an NBA team and would be more than happy to vote in favor of Orlandos team and other Orlando necesities, and well is not a bad idea at all to construct part of the arena out the tourism profits, wouldnt minde to put my graint of salt to keep the Magic in Orlando. And ok Orlando might be smaller but is important and deserves an NBA team and even more pro franchises. I hope the Magic get soem good players on the offseason and get to the Playoffs next year. After all the Pistons werent that much in some 13 years, and last year they won the Championship, so things happen. Maybe they will win another one in 13 or 15 years, and the Magic can have 2 or 3 by that time.

PhotoDave219

From what ive heard, we've lost enough business due to hurricane fears as it is.... No need to raise taxes and drive more people off.

But arent these the same morons who elected Buddy Dwyer again?

speck76

Original Poster
PhotoDave219 said:
From what ive heard, we've lost enough business due to hurricane fears as it is.... No need to raise taxes and drive more people off.

But arent these the same morons who elected Buddy Dwyer again?

You have no idea how rough this August and September are going to be for the Central Florida hotel industry.....

Even with 2005 being a great year, everyone is sitting wide open over these months. No high-dollar conventions want to book, because they do not want the problems that come with a meeting being canceled die to a hurricane. The best we can do is crappy government business....and that does not pay the bills (or pad my bonus)

DisneyFreak529

I think that four parks is great, five would be over done. I also think that they should keep adding rides to the four parks. I live in New York state so when I go to Florida I spend 7 days at least. That is just for Disney World. If there were five parks I don't think we could get everything in. We do one day in AK, one day in MGM, one 1/2 days in Epcot and 1/2 days in MK. That is a full five days!

I think Disney is thinking of the out of town guest. Come one how am I spost to find room for five parks In 7 days. I need at least one rest day and one day in Universal studio or shopping or sight seeing. What they should do is find a way to build some were eles in America. Do another Disney World, maybe not as big but some were in the middle of FLordia and California, they are on oppsite sides.

donald23

I think that even if another "theme park" is not built, WDW will have plenty of other attractions to add to "the world". Disney has always done things first-class, so any new plans for WDW will be good no matter what.

dxwwf3

Ok I'll have to put my 2 cents in. I don't care who pays for it, heck put a tourist tax and I'll pay for it, but the Magic HAVE to stay in Orlando. That's all the freaking town has. And yes I am 100% biased because I'm a Magic fan.

And no Shaq isn't coming back to Orlando, but we do have a guy by the name of Dwight Howard that is getting ready to dominate the NBA. Weisbroad make the pick of the year by taking him over Okafor. And having a major sports franchise can define a city. Anyone remember back in the mid 90's when we made it all the way to the NBA Finals? They put Horace Grant goggles on the Earful Tower at MGM.....and Grant wasn't even the star of the team. It brought the city together that year. And it could happen again if we can get a good coach.

And speck, it's not our fault that our "good" players in the past have left us. Shaq wanted to keep making horrible movies, so LA was the best choice for him. And we got rid of Me-Mac because he was a selfish cancer to the team that quit on us. And now he's one game away from getting knocked out of the playoffs (Go Mavs!). And don't forget that DeVos pulled in Grant Hill and McGrady in one offseason and as I mentioned before Dwight Howard is going to be superstar in this league.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom