Disney guest chokes girl who was blocking view of fireworks, deputies say

Touchdown

My blue sky fix to this is this: EMH now with exclusive bonus night shows. Every night WDW resort guests get an extra two hours in a park (Epcot x2, DHSx2, AKx2, MKx1) and get their own exclusive showings of the night shows. However, that is going to cost a lot of money, but from an operational stand point shouldn't be too difficult, send a wall of CMs out 1 hour after close to get the non resort guests out and everyone should be cleared prior to showtime. The only show that would have to start earlier is Fantasmic and that already has a wall of MB scanners to block day guests. It would also significantly lower the ride queues at close too.

However, while I know they can do it double the fireworks is likely way too expensive.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All the people eater rides in the world will not solve the problem of crowds gathering to watch the fireworks. Last I heard you cannot see the fireworks from most "people eater" rides.
I've seen them from the Peoplemover but just limited views from certain parts of the ride.

I think the idea isn't for people to watch fireworks from the ride but rather to skip the fireworks to ride the ride. I agree that it's not really going to solve the problem. People like fireworks and night shows. Adding fireworks and/or night shows to AK and DHS should help some. At least it could prevent some people from hopping from one of those parks to MK at night. I think this lady just lost it and it's more of a one off situation than the norm, but if it becomes a bigger problem they could just ban sitting on the ground for fireworks.

Goofyernmost

I've seen them from the Peoplemover but just limited views from certain parts of the ride.

I think the idea isn't for people to watch fireworks from the ride but rather to skip the fireworks to ride the ride. I agree that it's not really going to solve the problem. People like fireworks and night shows. Adding fireworks and/or night shows to AK and DHS should help some. At least it could prevent some people from hopping from one of those parks to MK at night. I think this lady just lost it and it's more of a one off situation than the norm, but if it becomes a bigger problem they could just ban sitting on the ground for fireworks.
Yes, I understand that... but, I don't believe that will happen anytime soon. The biggest single event at MK is the evening fireworks. A large percentage of the guest really want to see that. I am one of the few that really doesn't have any affection for the show. I do one of two things when they start, I either find my way to an otherwise hard to get on ride or I find my way out of the park before the rest of the crowd leaves. But, I am in a very tiny minority when it comes to that, and that was my point. If they want to see the fireworks that is where they are going to be no matter how many huge capacity rides they have.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, I understand that... but, I don't believe that will happen anytime soon. The biggest single event at MK is the evening fireworks. A large percentage of the guest really want to see that. I am one of the few that really doesn't have any affection for the show. I do one of two things when they start, I either find my way to an otherwise hard to get on ride or I find my way out of the park before the rest of the crowd leaves. But, I am in a very tiny minority when it comes to that, and that was my point. If they want to see the fireworks that is where they are going to be no matter how many huge capacity rides they have.
I agree. Adding a few rides at MK isn't going to help. If people are at MK they are likely to stop and watch the fireworks. Plus a lot of nights the park closes right after the fireworks.

One of the things that does add to the crowds though is people hopping to MK at the end of the night when the other parks close. I do think adding things like Pandora/RoL at AK will allow the park to stay open later so many AK guests will stay there at night instead of hopping to MK which was a very common practice. AK will be open later than MK on many nights at the start of the summer. Same goes for eventually having SW Land and other stuff at DHS. It will both provide evening entertainment and later park hours to keep people from hopping to MK. That's how adding rides can help ease crowds for fireworks at MK.

natatomic

Can't you just stand up? Why do people need to sit on the ground for fireworks? I can maybe understand wanting to sit while you wait if you are there for a while, but doesn't everyone stand anyway once the show starts? I've never seen people sitting during Wishes. Full disclosure...I haven't seen Wishes from inside MK in years now. I always go to Top of the World to watch. Maybe this sitting is a new thing.
I can. And I do, without any fuss, aside from a groan inside my head. But for me who's just a couple inches over 5' tall, I am below average height and I am almost always am stuck behind people taller than me. And if they put their kid on their shoulders, well, now i DEFINITELY can't see (seriously, people, hold your kid so that their eye level is equal to your eye level.) I pretty much end up watching the show through head gaps (again, remember, super tight spaces so a person that close could easily block out a good chunk of the view).
I find when everyone sits down, we're all a bit more evenly height-ed (totally a word). And plus side - we are sitting after a long day of walking! But if just one person stands up, it usually ends up with that darn domino effect and we all end up standing. (I don't argue, I would just rather be sitting and enjoying a better view).
Also, if everyone sits, my 3yo son can see just as well as everyone else. When everyone stands, I have to hold him (again, I am not that tall so his view isn't great either) and he is HEAVY for. So it's helpful for kids as well, and there tend to be a LOT of kids at Disney in my personal experience...)

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't understand how someone standing up blocks your view of fireworks when you have to look up.
Am I missing something?

Well yeah. FW are not directly over head. You don't throw your head back and look at the sky's zenith. FW are up at an angle. If the space is packed, the person in front of you is right in front of you, and when you look up 60 degrees you're looking at someone's rear end if they're standing.

dreamfinder912

Pro Tip: Everyone stands during the fireworks.

Exactly! On new years eve when I may very well have sat down for the 6something illuminations (so i could continue sitting there for midnight) CMs came by and told everyone to stand. Safety, space, ability to see without a railing in the way etc. If you want to sit for the fireworks at MK be at the train station and sit up there.

Side note, I was waiting for Illuminations once in Germany over by the boat dock, and with about ten minutes to go I stood up and got chewed out by a very irate mom who told me to sit down because her kids couldn't see. She even tried telling me I had to get out of the way if I wouldn't sit so her kid could see. Since then whenever I camp out for Illuminations I tell people as they come up behind me. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for telling them because -of course- people are going to stand during fireworks. Once bitten twice terrified of cranky guests.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I hear what you are saying and agree that Disney is an extremely expensive vacation these days, but I think the level of blame on the price increases for this type of behavior is a little overblown. It's a factor but not the key driver. People have always wanted to get every dime of value out of their vacations at WDW. There were hostilities 20+ years ago over things like saving spots at parades. It's nothing new...although choking a kid seems to be a new low. I bet some former and current CMs could tell you stories from the past and present of generally bad behavior. If you want to say that the parks being overcrowded (especially MK) is driving an increase in this kind of behavior I can buy that.

I also think they needed to do a better job with dispersing crowds to other places outside of MK at night. When they closed PI it added some stress on MK at night. People who may have been more than happy to leave a park and unwind at PI in the evening ended up hopping at MK which was typically open late. Illuminations is early at 9, AK before this summer was closing before 8PM most nights and DHS had sporadic, temporary nighttime entertainment recently (other than Fantasmic). I think maybe with RoL and Pandora at AK, eventually SWL and maybe some permanent night show at DHS and the build up of Disney Springs there's going to be a lot more options for later at night outside of MK and Wishes.

Agree with what you are saying and they are excellent points that said until VERY recently a vacation at WDW has not been at price of good used or new economy car levels and I think that adds to the stress of the experience.

Out of college in the early 80's 3 entry level computer programmers (GS 11's) who were all rabid Disney fans could afford two weeks at a treehouse without maxing out credit cards etc., That's no longer the case at Disney.

Otterhead

Aha. You meant "expensive."
No, I mean large, as in size, scope, and ambition. Adding multiple E-ticket rides, eateries, shopping, and extensive public areas to greatly expand two of the parks over the next few years. In what way is that not a massive expansion of those two parks?

Again, a lot of people really love being negative and critical for fun around here.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Again, a lot of people really love being negative and critical for fun around here.
I respectfully disagree -- I just think there are people who want to counterbalance some of the unicorn sprinkles and pixie poofles. They used to be enamored of Disney, but after having been disappointed at their decreasing Disney vacation ROI, they've become what some would call jaded.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agree with what you are saying and they are excellent points that said until VERY recently a vacation at WDW has not been at price of good used or new economy car levels and I think that adds to the stress of the experience.

Out of college in the early 80's 3 entry level computer programmers (GS 11's) who were all rabid Disney fans could afford two weeks at a treehouse without maxing out credit cards etc., That's no longer the case at Disney.
I agree that we have seen sharp price increases recently. I've seen @ParentsOf4 's charts;). What I disagree with is that somehow Disney is to blame for guest's bad behavior. If you can't afford a Disney vacation don't go. Don't max out credit cards or blow your life savings. If the cost of the vacation is so high for you that it causes enough stress for you to act out and choke people you obviously shouldn't be there, but even if the price is causing you enough anxiety that you feel stressed it may be time to rethink how you are vacationing. I know people hate to hear that Disney is a business, but it is. Like any business, it's not their responsibility to help customers to not spend beyond their means. If someone who really can't afford it leases a BMW for $1,200 a month and then proceeds to drive poorly is it really BMW's fault because they spent more than they could afford for the car?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom