Disney guest chokes girl who was blocking view of fireworks, deputies say

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The toddler meltdown thing is not intolerance it is people who use meltdown because their kid gets tired and starts acting like a spoiled brat. Tired is no excuse for bad behavior, when I was a kid there was no such thing as a meltdown, of course when I was kid parents made their kids mind sleepy or not.
I think the point @Unplugged was making isn't about the cause of a toddler meltdown, but the reaction other people have to it. Instead of just enjoying their vacation (and lives for that matter) some people are busy judging others and worrying about what the other people are doing or why the kid is having a melt down. My philosophy is "if it isn't my kid why should I care". If I see a toddler having a melt down I don't immediately jump to the conclusion that the kid is spoiled or the parents did a poor job parenting. The most I might think is "that sucks for them" and then move on with my day.

In reference to the choking situation it may have been easily resolved if both people had a little more respect for each other. Instead of yelling or insulting each other that then escalated into physical violence if the lady just asked the girl and her friends politely if they could sit down or if they could switch spots with them it probably would have blown over. On the flip side the school group could have been more aware that they were blocking people's view but they are teenagers who generally can be somewhat self absorbed and it was also fireworks which are up in the sky so people may be less likely to realize they are blocking someone. I'm a taller guy so I always try to not block people in a viewing area if I can. I have let kids in front of me at parades at WDW and I even took pictures once for a young girl standing next to me who wasn't tall enough to get a good shot over the crowd. Not saying everyone has to do that, but most people are greatly appreciative if you help them out or give them a break.

drizgirl

As you know, (or should, if you're commenting on the subject) Disney no longer breaks its attendance numbers out by park.

And yes, people not being able to stand that long was exactly the point of making that the rule. This would have avoided the problem since the argument started over the girl standing in front of sitting people.

Yes, I'm aware they don't break attendance out by park. Which is why nobody here can say that attendance in the MK is down. We have all heard it's down at WDW, but it's very possible that's because it's down in the other 3 parks more than it's up in the MK.

beertiki

I'm sorry but there are so gapping holes in this story, yes the woman was wrong for her behavior but my guess is young missy and her friends did not just walk away and say you can have our spot, pretty sure there was some smart remarks from the teens that provoked the whole thing, that the teens left out when they told their "story".

Maybe it just me, but I do not think anything said by a bunch of teens deserves physical violence at Disney. If you can't control your actions over some "smart" remarks, you are only showing the world your stupidity. Those who are easily provoked easily tend to over react and act irrationally.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, I'm aware they don't break attendance out by park. Which is why nobody here can say that attendance in the MK is down. We have all heard it's down at WDW, but it's very possible that's because it's down in the other 3 parks more than it's up in the MK.
This is true. We actually don't even know if it's down at WDW since they only officially give domestic attendance. Another thing to keep in mind is that the attendance decrease reported is just a year over year comparison to the same quarter last year. Due to the timing of holidays and number of weeks in the quarter it can actually be an apples to oranges comparison. Either way the parks are still very crowded, especially MK.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe it just me, but I do not think anything said by a bunch of teens deserves physical violence at Disney. If you can't control your actions over some "smart" remarks, you are only showing the world your stupidity. Those who are easily provoked easily tend to over react and act irrationally.
Take the high road. If someone says something really inappropriate report them to a CM and they will get kicked out of the park. There is no excuse for choking a kid.

Lets Respect

This is why the dessert parties are worth it to me.

I remember a while back I got in a fight with a woman in an ECV in the Rose Garden area that they were testing for FP+. Apparently I was supposed to sit down so she could sit on her ECV? But she wouldn't move in front. It was bizarre and I was scared.

Kman101

I'm a little late to the party, but the crowding isn't fun. The heat isn't fun. Tensions rise on vacation. It's not an excuse for this kind of behavior, though, but I can see how it escalates quickly. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often. It's actually pretty sad this person chokes someone over a spot for fireworks. Awful.

Unplugged

The toddler meltdown thing is not intolerance it is people who use meltdown because their kid gets tired and starts acting like a spoiled brat. Tired is no excuse for bad behavior, when I was a kid there was no such thing as a meltdown, of course when I was kid parents made their kids mind sleepy or not.

Obviously you missed my point, but thanks to @GoofGoof for getting it!

On to your points. Do you have any kids? Do you actually remember what it's like to be 2-4 years old, over stimulated by the non-stop excitement, in the heat of Florida, tired, and only wanting to nap? Safe to say none of us do. In fact, most kids that age don't meltdown at home or in familiar areas as it is far less stressful, or at least not very noticeable. Change the environment radically and guess what? It's simply too much for even the best behaved child. Children at that age are very reactionary on fundamentals. Why do you think that shortly after lunch time, especially in the Magic Kingdom, you see so many kids of the same age meltdown, then fall sound asleep in their strollers for a good hour, if not 2?!?

My son was very well behaved at that age and remains that way. When at WDW, we could see the signs as to when he was getting hot, tired, etc. and did our best effort to get him cooled off, out of the heat, hydrated, somewhere quite so he could crash, etc. But facts remain, it's not always possible in that environment to address the child's needs as soon as their switch starts to flip. Best efforts aside, he too had a few minor meltdowns until he fell asleep. He typically only did this at WDW and grew out of it by the age of 4.

Are there spoiled kids there? Sure. But I did not place restrictions on my meltdown reference as there are too many variables in that environment and personal issues with people in general. You're generalized response is ignorant in that you are grouping all children into a "spoiled category" when the vast majority of children the group I was intending are simply too tired to function rationally. You obviously lack the maturity and experience to be able to identify one situation verse another. If you could, you would realize the consistence and predictability of such happenings based solely on the environment.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
People with more money are generally more educated, and/or generally have learned how to behave in public and social situations.
This is because those qualities are generally required to get a good job, maintain that job, and climb the ladder.
Generally.
It's why you'll find better behavior in say Nordstrom than Wallmart.

Um, no just have the misfortune to be on Nantucket during the Figawi race weekend and you will see the full spectrum of bad human behavior displayed by the 0.25% far worse than any time at WDW.

You will hear the phrase 'do you know who i am' too many times...

Fortunately I was out in 'Sconset so i missed most of the insanity.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Doubtful. Lots of folks on these forums haven't had a good experience in the parks in many many years but profits continue to climb exponentially.

Profits have climbed because of the agressive cuts that have been made top line revenues have not risen much at all. This is not sustainable and will eventually go bust

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm a little late to the party, but the crowding isn't fun. The heat isn't fun. Tensions rise on vacation. It's not an excuse for this kind of behavior, though, but I can see how it escalates quickly. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often. It's actually pretty sad this person chokes someone over a spot for fireworks. Awful.

Just imagine the results if Disney adds alcohol to the ODV carts at MK,

I know they have sworn on a stack of Bibles that they have no intentions of doing that. Until they do of course and then it will be by 'Guest Demand'

Then it will be time to break out the popcorn and watch the fights in the hub.

MassScott84

I think people may have missed this portion of the story...
"...Mature was aggravated about not being able to see the display, so the girl and her friends decided to leave. As they were walking away, the victim told Mature, "You can take our spot."
People were reading it as the girl and her friends decided to give up their spot out of the blue. But it sounds as if the interaction started before that. Sounds like Mature was upset, was making it well known, and the group in front opted to leave the situation. Entirely possible that they made some remarks on their way by, but I don't think there's a whole lot we're missing from this story.

DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS ON ANYONE. Full stop.

drizgirl

I think people may have missed this portion of the story...
"...Mature was aggravated about not being able to see the display, so the girl and her friends decided to leave. As they were walking away, the victim told Mature, "You can take our spot."
People were reading it as the girl and her friends decided to give up their spot out of the blue. But it sounds as if the interaction started before that. Sounds like Mature was upset, was making it well known, and the group in front opted to leave the situation. Entirely possible that they made some remarks on their way by, but I don't think there's a whole lot we're missing from this story.

DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS ON ANYONE. Full stop.

I'm quite sure there was a lot more to it than that. A LOT.

That said though,I absolutely agree that does not justify ever putting hands on anyone.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm quite sure there was a lot more to it than that. A LOT.

That said though,I absolutely agree that does not justify ever putting hands on anyone.

Being that this was a high school group i imagine there is video of this incident and Disney may also have captured security video, Otherwise this would have been she said vs she said situation and would have gotten nowhere except both of them being trespassed by Disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom