Disney guest chokes girl who was blocking view of fireworks, deputies say

draybook

I'm not saying that Disney is an inexpensive vacation, it isn't. But it is comparable to a lot of other vacation destinations once you add in all of the activities you would be doing elsewhere, even less than a lot of them. I don't know of many vacations that I can take where my days would be full of activities and entertainment and still average out to $58pp or less per day.. and where I won't need to pay for a rental car, transfers, or a taxi/Uber. Add that all together, and it's not really so bad once you compare.

And thanks for proving my point. Disney used to be beyond comparison, as they were the industry leader. Now we're down to people saying, "well, they're not that bad compared to others". That says it all.

21stamps

View attachment 199106

Seriously, are you kidding us? Disney didn't make us book ADRs 180 days in advance? They didn't make us plan FPs in advance? We expect too much? Have you ever SEEN a Disney World commercial? They conveniently leave out the long waits, high cost of food, crowds, meltdowns of children, broken modes of transportation, etc. What we expect of them are the high expectations that the company set the bar at. Just because they may or may not be living up to those standards holds no responsibility on the consumer. As to the planning, it sure as heck wasn't my idea to have to plan my meals 6 months in advance. Granted, I'm easy going, but my wife and daughter are picky. Planning their meals 6 months in advance is NOT my choice. That's ALL Disney. Anyways, good day to you folks, time for work.

They don't need to plan 6 months in advance. They choose to.

I've never seen a commercial for anywhere than shows any kind of downside. Have you? Any amusement park commercial "leaves out the long waits and high cost of food". I guess common sense would need to kick in at that point- "Hey, I'm going to a popular spot. It might just be crowded." Unless people live under a rock, I'm sure they realize that there will be lines and high food prices...whenever they go to any amusement/theme park.

And thanks for proving my point. Disney used to be beyond comparison, as they were the industry leader. Now we're down to people saying, "well, they're not that bad compared to others". That says it all.

Beyond comparison to what? I'm comparing prices of Disney vs a 7 day vacay with activities. Disney was never inexpensive, no matter how many people pretend that it was. Any comparable vacation- activity amount wise- will be the same price, if not more, than Disney. Even with 2017 prices- Atlantis, arguably the next most popular family vacation destination, has always been, and is still more than the average American's Disney vacation once you add in food, transportation, activities.

I don't consider Disney the end all be all in the travel industry, I never have. It's one destination. There are plenty of great places to see in this world.

Last edited:

Laketravis

Unless people live under a rock, I'm sure they realize that there will be lines and high food prices...whenever they go to any amusement/theme park......

I'm pretty sure most people don't plan a trip and go to WDW with the same expectations they have of Six Flags or Cedar Point. And given the high degree of planning months in advance by many that can be found on these boards and others, it doesn't surprise me at all that someone could snap about their view being blocked during a fireworks show. The fireworks show they planned ADR's and FP's around and spent several hours in forums like this asking about what area of the park to be in and when to be there for the best vantage point. Most people would probably say it's silly to plan for something like that weeks or months in advance only to be severely disappointed because their experience was "ruined" in some way large or small, but then we can point to countless examples in these forums alone where people spend hours planning and discussing little things just like that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure most people don't plan a trip and go to WDW with the same expectations they have of Six Flags or Cedar Point. And given the high degree of planning months in advance by many that can be found on these boards and others, it doesn't surprise me at all that someone could snap about their view being blocked during a fireworks show. The fireworks show they planned ADR's and FP's around and spent several hours in forums like this asking about what area of the park to be in and when to be there for the best vantage point. Most people would probably say it's silly to plan for something like that weeks or months in advance only to be severely disappointed because their experience was "ruined" in some way large or small, but then we can point to countless examples in these forums alone where people spend hours planning and discussing little things just like that.
Seriously??? Because someone had to plan in advance it's understandable that they would snap and choke someone? When did we get to this point in society where nobody owns their actions and there is always some excuse being made why it's not their fault? Just sad.

Whether you planned to see Wishes on a Wednesday night 180 days in advance or walked into the park the day of and decided to stay for the show you run the same chance that someone sitting in front of you would stand up. I don't see how planning in advance would make it any less annoying or frustrating.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
When did we get to this point in society where nobody owns their actions and there is always some excuse being made why it's not their fault? Just sad.
Well, it's still early in the process, and maybe her lawyer's right -- maybe nothing at all actually happened. Orange County deputy sheriffs probably have zero discretion on when to arrest someone.

I still can't believe there's no video on YouTube about this...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I just checked ticket prices right now- $74 per day for an adult 5 day. $58 per day for a 7 day.

You can stay at a nice moderate for less than $200 per night. With free transportation around the property and to/from the airport.
The food is not any more overpriced than most vacation spots, and actually lower priced compared to a few.

I'm not saying that Disney is an inexpensive vacation, it isn't. But it is comparable to a lot of other vacation destinations once you add in all of the activities you would be doing elsewhere, even less than a lot of them. I don't know of many vacations that I can take where my days would be full of activities and entertainment and still average out to $58pp or less per day.. and where I won't need to pay for a rental car, transfers, or a taxi/Uber. Add that all together, and it's not really so bad once you compare.
There are many vacations that are significantly cheaper than WDW and some that are more expensive. A lot of national parks offer free or very cheap admission. Nice museums like the Smithsonian in DC are free while others have admission fees that are still usually much cheaper than WDW. Lots of cities offer city passes or multi-venue tickets to do lots of activity for one discounted price. The beach in a lot of places is free or very cheap for a beach tag. Any of those places will still require lodging and meals as well, but the prices for those things would be in line with or cheaper than WDW on average. While the Smithsonian is free they get you with the cafe where food prices were about the same as WDW counter service and the food was about as appetizing. Cruises and resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico are generally good values due to the cheaper labor costs. On the flip side there are luxury resorts that are much more expensive than WDW. There are plenty of restaurants more expensive too.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, it's still early in the process, and maybe her lawyer's right -- maybe nothing at all actually happened. Orange County deputy sheriffs probably have zero discretion on when to arrest someone.

I still can't believe there's no video on YouTube about this...
Something definitely happened. They wouldn't arrest someone for no reason. There was at a minimum a verbal altercation. Even without a YouTube video there were literally hundreds of witnesses. I'm sure the CMs and later police asked witnesses for what happened and had enough evidence to arrest the woman. The police could have a video too if someone offered it up. I've never seen a group of high school kids without cell phones attached to their hands....unless their batteries all died by the nighttime;)

IMHO the girl should probably just drop the charges and move on with her life. The story says she was unharmed and she got a good story to go home with. She can tell her classmates about the crazy lady who choked her at Disney World. It seems like a drag to have to go back to Orlando for a court date or even have to give a deposition to submit for a trial. I would be happy to just have the woman out of my life for good.

Laketravis

Seriously??? Because someone had to plan in advance it's understandable that they would snap and choke someone? When did we get to this point in society where nobody owns their actions and there is always some excuse being made why it's not their fault? Just sad.

Seriously??? I said snap, not choke. When did we get to this point in society where somebody attributes words to someone else that were never said? Just sad.

ETA: I also did not say it was understandable.

Last edited:

21stamps

Whether you planned to see Wishes on a Wednesday night 180 days in advance or walked into the park the day of and decided to stay for the show you run the same chance that someone sitting in front of you would stand up. I don't see how planning in advance would make it any less annoying or frustrating.

Exactly. I posted that yesterday. Instead of blaming a person for their personal behavior.. people are looking to blame something else.

It's crazy.

There are many places where you will go in life that are crowded..,ball games...zoos...museums..a restaurant..the DMV.. you don't justify behavior because of crowds or disappointment.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Seriously??? I said snap, not choke. When did we get to this point in society where somebody attributes words to someone else that were never said? Just sad.
Did you read the story in the first post? The woman snapped and choked a teenage girl. That's what we are talking about.

Laketravis

There are many places where you will go in life that are crowded..,ball games...zoos...museums..a restaurant..the DMV.. you don't justify behavior because of crowds or disappointment.

It's so nice to see such a complacent, polyannish viewpoint. But "behavior" is a broad term. I'll bet if I admonished you for having your flash on while videoing Haunted Mansion with your cell phone after I've asked you nicely to stop, you'd criticize my "behavior". And if I stopped you when you and your six kids were cutting thru the line to join your significant other 20 minutes ahead, you'd be appalled at my "behavior".

There comes a time when others are so focused on themselves that they don't even realize how disrespectful they are to others around them, no matter where you might be.

daisyduckie

View attachment 199106

Seriously, are you kidding us? Disney didn't make us book ADRs 180 days in advance? They didn't make us plan FPs in advance? We expect too much? Have you ever SEEN a Disney World commercial? They conveniently leave out the long waits, high cost of food, crowds, meltdowns of children, broken modes of transportation, etc. What we expect of them are the high expectations that the company set the bar at. Just because they may or may not be living up to those standards holds no responsibility on the consumer. As to the planning, it sure as heck wasn't my idea to have to plan my meals 6 months in advance. Granted, I'm easy going, but my wife and daughter are picky. Planning their meals 6 months in advance is NOT my choice. That's ALL Disney. Anyways, good day to you folks, time for work.

Wow I'm not sure what park you were at, but that has not been my experience at Disney World. I expect the food to cost more than McDonalds, just like I would expect at any venue like WDW. Geese, when I go to a movie at home my pop and popcorn is easily double my ticket cost.

And no, you don't have to plan your meals 6 months in advance. You can if you choose to. No one is holding your arm to the keyboard or your ear to your phone. I've easily found meals the day of. And I have yet to go to a bus stop and been told that I had to wait because my bus was broken down on the side of the road.

The children melting down? Part of being a kid, and some of the blame, if not all, is on the parents for that. Certainly not on Disney.

Laketravis

Did you read the story in the first post? The woman snapped and choked a teenage girl. That's what we are talking about.

Did you read the article that I linked to where her attorney says she didn't choke the girl? That's what we are talking about.

"“There wasn’t a physical fight,” he said, adding that "there was a request for them to sit down or move, and things rolled on from there, but she never choked the alleged victim.""

In response to someone else's comments I stated that "it doesn't surprise me at all that someone could snap about their view being blocked during a fireworks show". You turned that into me saying I understood how someone could snap and choke someone. And that's just not what I said at all.

It surprises you that someone could have a verbal altercation at WDW over their view of the fireworks being blocked? After spending time on these and other forums, observing the level of detail some will go to for that "perfect" WDW vacation, it's not conceivable that someone might ask nicely, multiple times, to not block their precious view of the fireworks and when those requests are not granted they would escalate to verbal abuse?

Hell, I see verbal abuse in these WDW forums all the time simply because one doesn't agree with another's opinion, and we aren't even in the parks.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Did you read the article that I linked to where her attorney says she didn't choke the girl? That's what we are talking about.

"“There wasn’t a physical fight,” he said, adding that "there was a request for them to sit down or move, and things rolled on from there, but she never choked the alleged victim.""
It wasn't clear to me that you were talking about the lawyer's statement. You quoted a post from @21stamps that had nothing at all to do with that lawyer's statement. She was taking about how lines and high food prices exist at most theme parks.

Laketravis

It wasn't clear to me that you were talking about the lawyer's statement. You quoted a post from @21stamps that had nothing at all to do with that lawyer's statement. She was taking about how lines and high food prices exist at most theme parks.

And in an attempt to get back on topic I stated how it didn't surprise me that someone would snap about their view of fireworks being blocked.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And in an attempt to get back on topic I stated how it didn't surprise me that someone would snap about their view of fireworks being blocked.
And I stand by my statement that it's not acceptable to snap over views of fireworks being blocked. Advance planning and high costs are no excuse. Even if that snapping is a verbal shouting match and doesn't get physical it's not right.

21stamps

And I stand by my statement that it's not acceptable to snap over views of fireworks being blocked. Advance planning and high costs are no excuse. Even if that snapping is a verbal shouting match and doesn't get physical it's not right.

If high costs and crowds can make people understand how someone can do something.. even if they aren't "justifying" it, the problem is that they CAN EVEN understand.

Holy cow, what if you pay hundreds of dollars for a football game, and someone blocks your view, or your team loses.. and an altercation happens, Do we blame the venue? Or the individual?
Unless I missed a news story, it's typically the individual, not the ticket price or how long someone waited to actually be at that game-several years possibly.

But it happens at Disney- and people try to excuse it by blaming Disney planning and costs.

Laketravis

Not being surprised that something happened and whether or not it's acceptable are two different things. I said it didn't surprise me; you said you don't think it's acceptable. Your tolerance level is no doubt much higher than others I've seen at WDW who may ask someone nicely to stop doing whatever it is they are doing that is bothering others and get nothing but attitude back. Some actually did get physical. And like I've already said, it doesn't surprise me. Given the many factors involved it changes people's psyche and they will sometimes react in a manner that is not typical of their character when something they may have looked forward to for months is impacted by external forces they didn't anticipate.

Last edited:

Laketravis

If high costs and crowds can make people understand how someone can do something.. even if they aren't "justifying" it, the problem is that they CAN EVEN understand.

Holy cow, what if you pay hundreds of dollars for a football game, and someone blocks your view, or your team loses.. and an altercation happens, Do we blame the venue? Or the individual?
Unless I missed a news story, it's typically the individual, not the ticket price or how long someone waited to actually be at that game-several years possibly.

But it happens at Disney- and people try to excuse it by blaming Disney planning and costs.

I'll respond to this since I offered an example of why it doesn't surprise me and that has somehow been twisted into accepting it and understanding it as okay.

So let's get that clear: I said I wasn't surprised that someone would snap about their fireworks view being blocked.

And if you'll read my comments it had nothing to do with "cost" and everything to do with anticipation. If someone was looking forward to that football game for a year or more, going online every day posting questions and collecting answers on an internet forum about where to sit and the best view, and when the time finally came someone was blocking their view, no I would not be surprised if they got upset.

Like I said before, you only have to look at these online WDW forums to see how fanatic some people are about their upcoming WDW trip even if it's a year or more away, and the questions they ask about every little detail involved so that their trip is absolutely perfect.

I don't see why it's difficult to understand it's no surprise if they get angry at someone or something else for upsetting that perfection. Whether you think it's right or wrong, it's human nature.

And frankly, if you and your son had staked out the perfect spot to watch a parade at WDW on the only day you'd ever be in the Magic Kingdom on the once-in-a-lifetime dream vacation you'd been planning for a year and someone came along 30 seconds before it started and stood in front of your son blocking his view, I have a hard time believing you'd simply smile at them and find another spot.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom