Disney gets on board with fast-train proposal

Exprcoofto

On the other hand, if they do it right, it could really streamline things.

Imagine you've already had your train tickets sent to you in the mail. You arrive at the airport, and just hop on the train without having to wait in a long line for checking in for a Magical Express bus. Meanwhile, your luggage is loaded into a set aside section of the cargo area of the train. You arrive at Vacation Kingdom Central (or whatever) toodle on downstairs to the Resort check-in desk, which acts as a big front desk for all of Walt Disney World, get your Key to the World cards, and jump on the new personal rapid transit system to wherever you want to go first, and that's it. Your luggage would arrive at Central, and be loaded into cargo PRTs to be sent to your Resort and then on to your room. Each Resort would still have their Front Desks, but the load would be lifted some for them. And having a central Front Desk would have the advantage of making Resort changes much easier, if a Resort is overbooked or something.

Where are you getting the personal rapid transit system, or are you dreaming the future? I don't think Disney is going to go to that extent. I see a simple bus station and train station all as one. A bus would take you to your resort where you check in, and your luggage from the Airport would arrive later, similar to what they do now.

Though I love your idea, I just don't see it happening, but it would be awesome.

TURKEY

I would think near Wide World of Sports would be the best place for this in terms of land for a station and transportation hub?

Mr.EPCOT

There is no way this will be a monorail system. The already have the right of way for a rail system and that is what this will be. But I could see them building a monorail extension to the on property train station. That would be a possibility.

If it saves them money, and their smart enough to take that option, then.

fosse76

I think you people are getting carried away. This is a public transportation system, and is not owned by Disney. Disney would have a stop...potentially on its property, and that's it. The 50 acres probably includes the station as well as the amount of property the rails will encompass. While Disney would most likely offer resort/park service from the station, I wouldn't expect any exclusive luggage service.

Heavy Metal

As a Floridian I would absolutely love this! This project (high speed rail)was passed years ago by the voters in this state but the Governer shot it down. I would love to be able to drive to Tampa then hop the train to Disney World, I once read that the Tampa Bay area was one of the largest metro areas in the country that didn't have some kind of rail mass transit system (light rail, commuter rail) maybe this will be the start of it.
Also, I know that there are package deals where you can get a Seaworld/Busch Gardens admission, as of right now anyone that stays in Orlando who wants to go to Busch Gardens in Tampa has to drive or take a bus, it would be great to have an option to take a train...

Mr.EPCOT

Where are you getting the personal rapid transit system, or are you dreaming the future? I don't think Disney is going to go to that extent. I see a simple bus station and train station all as one. A bus would take you to your resort where you check in, and your luggage from the Airport would arrive later, similar to what they do now.

Though I love your idea, I just don't see it happening, but it would be awesome.

Just pure speculation as to what Disney could do for a streamlined, efficient process.

s8film40

I think you people are getting carried away. This is a public transportation system, and is not owned by Disney. Disney would have a stop...potentially on its property, and that's it. The 50 acres probably includes the station as well as the amount of property the rails will encompass. While Disney would most likely offer resort/park service from the station, I wouldn't expect any exclusive luggage service.

Disney already has the luggage service set up no changes would need to be made to it. If this system were built WDW would be the primary use of the system. There is very little public transit in Orlando and Tampa most people wouldn't be able to use the system for commuting even if they wanted too. It does open up the possibilities for improved public transit in the future but that would be a good ways off.

EpcotServo

Yay!

One step closer to REAL transportation that doesn't rely on evil car companies that subvert lives for profit!

:sohappy:

Why Florida has never done this is baffling, considering the whole place is flat and bears no technological or physical challenges that would impair a comprehensive train system.

MousDad

Why Florida has never done this is baffling, considering the whole place is flat and bears no technological or physical challenges that would impair a comprehensive train system.

But how could those trains navigate the treacherous Britton Hill, and all it's mind-bending 345 ft?

(highest point in Florida, btw)

hpyhnt 1000

Well, this will be interesting to see if this develops. This really does have the possibility to revolutionize the way people get to and from the WDW Resort. In the perfect grand scheme of things, the WDW stop would offer connections to the parks and resorts via a PRT system like Mr. EPCOT said, though I think Disney will probably just expand the bus system instead.

But who knows; by the time this is done, the economy will hopefully be on a long and steady upturn, and as a result, people will be booking vacations to WDW fast and furiously... Disney may start to see a long term transportation investment to be more viable. :shrug: Stranger things have happend. :)

Walt 1901

It would actually bring Walts idea for a transportation hub near I-4 to light. In the drawings of the Florida project it called for an airport to be built near that area. Guest would then board a monorail to take them to the theme park.

EpcotServo

But how could those trains navigate the treacherous Britton Hill, and all it's mind-bending 345 ft?

(highest point in Florida, btw)

Yes, lucky to live in the high hills of Central Florida...I hear others pass out from the lack of Sea-Level oxygen up here.

:lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Yay!

One step closer to REAL transportation that doesn't rely on evil car companies that subvert lives for profit!

:sohappy:

EXACTLY. :D
:lol::sohappy:

And, because Florida is stupid. Seriously.
:lookaroun:brick:

s8film40

It's that fact that has made it so easy for development to spread itself out so far and thin that would make a train system like this impractical. While I would like to see it built it would never get enough use to justify the cost.

Brian Noble

Disney says it will support a stop at the Orange County Convention Center, as well as provide up to 50acres of free land for a station. For years, Disney wanted any train that might be built to take a straight shot from Orlando International Airport to its parks, with no other stations.
Very interesting. I'm just about done with Married to the Mouse, which has a very nice discussion about how the first attempt in the late 80s got torpedoed. Essentially, a group consisting of Sea World, Universal, and I-Drive hotel owners got a clause inserted in the authorizing legislation to open up "unfettered public access" to the station on Disney land, and pressed for a stop on I-Drive. At the same time, Disney lobbied hard that the route should receive no public funding---meaning that Disney *had* to be involved in a real way, becuase without Disney tourists, the route could never break even. Disney had initially suggested a station very near Epcot. Once this "unfettered public access" clause was added, they instead offered land in what is now Celebration---effectively a million miles away form "WDW". This meant that most Disney guests would never bother to use it, and it killed the deal.

scpergj

They have been trying to build this for years. I voted for it in 2000 when I lived in Florida and it got passed but nothing has come of it yet. I believe that originally it was supposed to go to Jacksonville and Miami as well.

Nope. Miami, yes, Jacksonville, no. That is partly why north Florida pretty much voted no on it - it was south and central Florida, only...but I seem to remember Tallahassee having a line, too.

As a Floridian I would absolutely love this! This project (high speed rail)was passed years ago by the voters in this state but the Governer shot it down. I would love to be able to drive to Tampa then hop the train to Disney World, I once read that the Tampa Bay area was one of the largest metro areas in the country that didn't have some kind of rail mass transit system (light rail, commuter rail) maybe this will be the start of it.
Also, I know that there are package deals where you can get a Seaworld/Busch Gardens admission, as of right now anyone that stays in Orlando who wants to go to Busch Gardens in Tampa has to drive or take a bus, it would be great to have an option to take a train...

Also not quite right. The governor didn't like it and actively campaigned against it, but he could not overrule it - it was an ammendment to the Florida Constitution (I think it passed at the same time as the idiotic pregnant pig ammendment...). What happened is that four years later, another ammendment was placed on the ballot, SUPPORTED by the governor, basically cancelling the original Rail ammendment, and it passed.

Look, if something like this is to work, you cannot leave the largest city in the state out of it - which is again happening. We'll see how this one goes.......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom