Disney gets on board with fast-train proposal

flavious27

How about disney get on board with the existing rail in the area? Taking Amtrak down was fine until the train stopped in Orlando. It cost 2 of us $35 each way to take a van. We were going to try and use orlando's bus lines, but there was no direct bus stops or lines to the resorts.

Mick G.

I read an interesting article about the history of train travel [yes, I do lead a glamorous life], and they talked about the golden age of train travel. From the first part of the 20th century until the late 1950s, the only way to travel was by train, and all major freight railroads ran their own passenger service. For some reason, they didn't keep separate books for freight and passenger service, but historians have discovered that almost every passenger service lost money. The railroads didn't really notice, because the losses weren't major, and passenger service was a matter of pride, and a way to show off your railroad to potential freight customers.

In other words, passenger service was privately subsidized by money made from freight service, and publicly subsidized by the fees paid by the USPS for carrying and sorting mail on the trains.

OK, enough train history.

Despite my appreciate for all things that run on rails or beams, I still think that the Florida Hi-Speed system won't compare with the Magical Express. It will take longer to get you from MCO to your hotel, and will obviously take more money from your wallet then the free bus. For larger families like mine, the train will even be more expensive than a cab.

The most expensive transportation system is the one nobody uses.

Mick

ttalovebug

Actually if you go back and read my take on it again I think you will see it has not changed much. I want the HSR between Orlando to Tampa to happen as designed. I just think the federal government should fund it. (The state of Florida is providing the right of way). Before we fund piecemeal HSR projects around the country that only turn into "rails to nowhere" projects that only serve to lock states into what are essentially open ended government funded jobs programs, we need to know if HSR is viable in this country. The Florida project would prove or disprove HSR. And I have explained a few times why I think that. Personally I believe the HSR push has been nothing but a scheme to get votes and whether it is needed is low on the priority list of those pushing it. Florida citizens are too smart to fall for this stuff as the election proved. But if the federal government wanted to fund the project (as I think they should for the reasons I stated) then I doubt few Floridians would complain.

Also, about the DHS rumor I wanted to clarify a bit. Kevin Yee did not state they could close the gates to transform the park but rather Disney had plans in exceptionally poor economies to have park closings as a means to limit losses.

Yesterday's Miceage update had a DHS section where someone spelled out the problems at the park and suggested Disney close it and fix it. Since the election has only caused the believers in non-private sector economic solutions to dig in their heels it is obvious an economic recovery is at least two years away. They deliberately want a stagnate economy to create dependency and grow government. A showdown is coming. Economic recovery is not.

But in the meantime Disney could solve two problems by closing the Studios gates. They could slash overhead and protect profits. They could also fix the park and have it ready for the time in which the belivers in market economics regain power and jobs begin to be created again.

Obviously it would not close before at least the first phase of the FLE is complete. So I could never see them doing this before early 2012. But this is likely to be how it would look once it reopened....

The BAH would be long gone.
The current "main street" would be spruced up as would sunset. These sections would reflect Hollywood of the 30's and 40's respectively.
The Great Movie Ride would redone and be much more Disneyfied.
Little Mermaid would be gone.
American Idol will have seen its last show.
Indiana Jones will leave for new "Adventures" elsewhere.
The BLT will leave never to return.
The entire "working studio" backstory will only exist in "Yesterland"
Tower of Terror's Twilight Zone treatment will only exist in, well, people's imaginations.
Aerosmith will have played their last encore.
HISTK playground will be gone to a nearby resort.
LMA gone and then forgotten.
Sounds Dangerous silenced.

And what would be new?

My guess would be Carsland where the Indy show is or where the BLT is.
An expanded Pixar Place with monsters taking over a large section on New York street. Possibly including a relocated laugh floor and the rumored coaster in sound stage one.
All half done facades completed everywhere.
A muppets section including a muppet themed restaurant and possibly a dark ride in addition to the current show.
WoC added to the LMA stadium. If this area is not large enough then WoC could be added to the IJ stadium utilizing as much as the parking lot as necessary. Carsland could be added where the BLT is now.
Toontown added as an extension to the Animation Courtyard.
New Disney related themes for ToT and RnRC.
New Disneyland-esque Fantasmic.
New shows for the AI theater and Sounds Dangeous location.

Obviously closing the park for 18 to 24 months would be necessary but just think how much better it would be.

Hopefully this helps clarify things. I do think it is possible.

Now I really am leaving until the big big DTD announcement which was promised very soon! Very soon. Like this week maybe. :xmas:

Why would the GMR have to be Disneyfied? And new "Disney" related themes for Tower and RnRC? These might be the worst ideas I've ever heard, up there with Stitch Mountain. The entire Disney fan community yearns for new E-tickets that don't involve movie tie-ins like HM, Pirates, etc. According to you, adding Disney characters/movie references to three popular, original, and unique E-tickets would be a good change? Now I've heard everything.

flavious27

I read an interesting article about the history of train travel [yes, I do lead a glamorous life], and they talked about the golden age of train travel. From the first part of the 20th century until the late 1950s, the only way to travel was by train, and all major freight railroads ran their own passenger service. For some reason, they didn't keep separate books for freight and passenger service, but historians have discovered that almost every passenger service lost money. The railroads didn't really notice, because the losses weren't major, and passenger service was a matter of pride, and a way to show off your railroad to potential freight customers.

In other words, passenger service was privately subsidized by money made from freight service, and publicly subsidized by the fees paid by the USPS for carrying and sorting mail on the trains.

OK, enough train history.

Despite my appreciate for all things that run on rails or beams, I still think that the Florida Hi-Speed system won't compare with the Magical Express. It will take longer to get you from MCO to your hotel, and will obviously take more money from your wallet then the free bus. For larger families like mine, the train will even be more expensive than a cab.

The most expensive transportation system is the one nobody uses.

Mick

Passenger service wasn't profitable in loosely populated areas, long haul service was. The same is true with Amtrak and CSX today. Passenger service is only profitable where PRR service was; funding for highways makes any other long distance passenger rail unprofitable.

Krack

The notion that Disney would close DHS for an extended period of time (to remove the Twilight Zone theming from the ToT, no less) is one of the dopiest* ideas I've seen discussed on this board in a long time.

*pun intended

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The notion that Disney would close DHS for an extended period of time (to remove the Twilight Zone theming from the ToT, no less) is one of the dopiest* ideas I've seen discussed on this board in a long time.

*pun intended

Thankfully, it was more of a passing "plea" than anything substantial. But I agree; that's not going to happen any time soon...

jt04

We had a major thread on this about a year ago. I remember some people said Disney would never cooperate in building such a system. Other people said it was in their interest to do so. It would be interesting to read that thread. Wish I had time to look it up.

Lesson here....... Never say never. :lol:

This is as close to a "shovel ready" project as you will find. It will happen especially since Disney is on board.

There are few mass transit projects that can have a real impact on traffic etc and is as ready to go as this one. It will happen. And depending on how well it works, the South Florida leg could be added later. This project is a no-brainer if they are serious about all the "stimulus-carbon reduction-energy security" talk.

And the Orlando tourism industry will only grow. Bite the bullet and build some rails for the tourists. The distances are not overwhelming. This is an obvious win win situation and will prove or disprove the viability of such systems.

That was the old way. I think you would see Orlando as a great test bed and successful. Tourists won't need to carry their luggage because they will be checked through to their destination. The high speed rail would only stop at the Conv Center/Universal/Sea World hub, the WDW hub, Lakeland hub and Tampa airport. As an example, if staying at Universal you would just board the train at MCO (price included in your resort stay) depart at the Conv Center and access the Universal monorail or lightrail loop that brings you to your resort. Your baggage would be brought to your room and will arrive before you get there or shortly after. If flying into Tampa, same thing. That is how I envision it anyway.

Here is a bit more information.... http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HIGH_SPEED_RAIL_FLOL-?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

I just think the Florida project is one that there are enough funds to actually complete a project. I'd be suprised if all the money available went to one state.

Cali's system has to go that fast to compete with air travel. Tampa to Orlando is not competing but rather augmenting air travel. Just the number of tourists flying into central Florida make it seem like a potentially great investment that could have immediate and significant impact to the I-4 situation.

Actually if you go back and read my take on it again I think you will see it has not changed much. I want the HSR between Orlando to Tampa to happen as designed. I just think the federal government should fund it. (The state of Florida is providing the right of way). Before we fund piecemeal HSR projects around the country that only turn into "rails to nowhere" projects that only serve to lock states into what are essentially open ended government funded jobs programs, we need to know if HSR is viable in this country. The Florida project would prove or disprove HSR. And I have explained a few times why I think that. Personally I believe the HSR push has been nothing but a scheme to get votes and whether it is needed is low on the priority list of those pushing it. Florida citizens are too smart to fall for this stuff as the election proved. But if the federal government wanted to fund the project (as I think they should for the reasons I stated) then I doubt few Floridians would complain.

Much of this goes back over a year. Scarey isn't it? :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom