Disney gets on board with fast-train proposal

disfan411

Original Poster
here is an article from orlando sentinel. I thought I read on here one day about a rumor that a train might be built from the airport that could go to Disney resorts. Well it looks like Disney is still trying to be a part of that by offering up some land.

Here is the article
Florida has received a last-minute boost from Walt Disney World in its bid for $2.5 billion of federal money to build a high-speed train linking Orlando and Tampa.

Disney says it will support a stop at the Orange County Convention Center, as well as provide up to 50acres of free land for a station. For years, Disney wanted any train that might be built to take a straight shot from Orlando International Airport to its parks, with no other stations.

"While many details are still yet to be worked out, we think this project makes sense for our community," Walt Disney World President Meg Crofton wrote in a letter to the state earlier this week.

Disney's backing is important because it could provide millions of riders to the system, helping to underwrite operation costs for the entire 90-mile route.

There will be intense and widespread competition for the $8 billion set aside by the Obama administration and Congress for creating mass-transit systems featuring trains capable of going at least 110 mph. Today, Florida is electronically transmitting its final application to Washington. Nearly 280 pre-applications, from Los Angeles to Boston and many places in between, were submitted earlier this summer, for a total of $102billion in proposals.

No timetable has been set for announcing the winners, but it's clear that most of the requests will not be filled.

'Very good' odds

Florida proponents, however, are upbeat about the state's chances.

Ed Turanchik, a developer and former Hillsborough County commissioner, called Florida's odds "very good." He runs ConnectUs, a nonprofit formed three months ago with $50,000 donated by a variety of businesses and individuals to promote Florida's high-speed-rail bid.

He maintains the state's decades-long pursuit of a fast train should place Florida at or near the top of the list for those making the decisions at the federal Department of Transportation.

Thanks largely to the work of a defunct high-speed-rail authority, the state has chosen an alignment and completed an environmental-impact study that recently was updated. Florida could start construction within 14 months, with operations beginning late in 2014. Few, if any, of Florida's rivals can make that claim.

"I really think we have the best project in the country. We have all the ingredients," said Nazih Haddad, who oversees the state's proposal for the Florida Department of Transportation.

C.C. "Doc" Dockery, the retired Lakeland insurance magnate who has long worked to bring a fast train to Florida, said Disney's decision to get on board is "big. It really is."

Disney's marketing abilities, he said, "will showcase the first high-speed rail in the U.S. in a way it could never be anywhere else.... What a marvelous opportunity for the Obama administration."

Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez said Disney backs the current plan because it could complement the planned SunRail commuter train that would run from DeLand to Poinciana.

"Our primary concern," Suarez said in an e mail to the Orlando Sentinel, "has always been ensuring that high-speed rail does not prevent our community from building an effective commuter rail system in the future. The proposed route for SunRail would not be impacted by the high-speed rail route that has been selected."

Suarez said Disney would continue offering its Magical Express bus service that takes visitors directly from the airport to hotels on its property. The train, she said, would provide another option.

Crofton's letter did not specify where the station would be located, only that it would be "at or near" the resort. Crofton valued the land at $25 million.

Haddad said the state already owns more than 90 percent of the land needed for the tracks. The property — a 44-foot-wide swath largely down the middle of Interstate 4 — is worth $1 billion, he said.

The terrain, Haddad points out, is flat, which lends itself to speed. And I-4 hosts hundreds of thousands of motorists who daily traipse among Orlando, Lakeland and Tampa — and many of those travelers could be potential passengers.

Stops are planned for Orlando International Airport, the Orange County Convention Center, Walt Disney World near Celebration, Lakeland and the old Morgan Street Jail in downtown Tampa.

Hour's ride each way

One-way fares could be $20, according to ConnectUs. Travel time, including stops, would be about an hour.

Ten corridors were approved in 1991 by the government as eligible for high-speed funding, though there was no money at the time. The Orlando-Tampa route is among that group. Other areas seeking money include Los Angeles to San Francisco, a Midwest hub with Chicago at the center and Washington to New York City.

U.S. DOT spokesman Rob Kulat said agency officials realize there is not enough money to go around, nor enough to fully fund any single venture. This is the beginning, he said, of what could be a 30-year undertaking to enhance rail transit throughout the country.

Florida also is awaiting word on applications it made in August for $270 million to buy the tracks for the planned SunRail commuter train and $30 million to study a high-speed route between Orlando and Miami.

"We're at the point," Kulat said, "of having to sort carefully and going through it."

xsupaxmanxsfnex

This would be very interesting. I would love to see them make it very Disney like. I like DME with the video and everything just gets you so excited to finally arrive. Plus DME is free where this would be $20. I would like to see some future plans for this though it sounds great.

yankspy

They have been trying to build this for years. I voted for it in 2000 when I lived in Florida and it got passed but nothing has come of it yet. I believe that originally it was supposed to go to Jacksonville and Miami as well.

bgraham34

This would be very interesting. I would love to see them make it very Disney like. I like DME with the video and everything just gets you so excited to finally arrive. Plus DME is free where this would be $20. I would like to see some future plans for this though it sounds great.

Yeah but I believe that is $ for the full trip from orlando to tampa.

David

It seems like there would still be a need for some type of bus system to get you to your resort after arrival. Obviously the train is not going to each resort, so looks like you would take the train the WDW, then you would need some method to get to the different hotels. Can you imagine what it would be like if you went to a central location to check in and get tickets and then have your luggage sent to your hotel? I would think that would take up more time than DME does now.

jt04

We had a major thread on this about a year ago. I remember some people said Disney would never cooperate in building such a system. Other people said it was in their interest to do so. It would be interesting to read that thread. Wish I had time to look it up.

Lesson here....... Never say never. :lol:

Mr.EPCOT

Good news! They're really a lot farther along with things than I thought! Hopefully they'll choose Monorail. :king:

And if we're lucky, maybe this could be the start of a new entrance parking complex and transportation overhaul for Walt Disney World. :D

dreamfinder

DME isn't free though. Disney has built the costs into your hotel room charges. I bet the rail costs would be similar to what they pay MEARS. They could do the same exact thing they do with DME. Grab your luggage, and truck it over, you check in at a desk, get handed a train ticket. At the WDW station they have resort buses. Show up at your resort, and your luggage arrives within 3 hrs. Its possible.
As long as Disney is the only Orlando stop, I can see they helping with it. The gist of the article seems to infer that is the case. Their issue is if it stops at Universal et al, then its not beneficial then it helps people leave WDW to other venues, and that is contrary to all their move of the last few years. (With the possible exceptions of closing PI)

magic2me

I am glad Disney is seeing the light. I would love this and would definitely use it. It would be great to take the train to BG, a bus would be needed.

Exprcoofto

Is the 50 acres for a station, that would be a Walt Disney World Resort Station right? I think this would be an excellent idea. Fast and simple way to get from of the Airport to the Theme Parks. (as well as continuing to Tampa) No more Magical Express buses! :sohappy:

It seems like there would still be a need for some type of bus system to get you to your resort after arrival. Obviously the train is not going to each resort, so looks like you would take the train the WDW, then you would need some method to get to the different hotels. Can you imagine what it would be like if you went to a central location to check in and get tickets and then have your luggage sent to your hotel? I would think that would take up more time than DME does now.

A Station on the Walt Disney World property would just be another stop for the Disney Transportation Buses. Think of it like a theme park; at the Train Station they would have buses running to the different hotels. I still think that would be a lot faster then Magical Express. Many times we wait nearly 40 minutes in the bus waiting to leave.

jt04

My guess is they would create a hub that uses a myriad of transportation alternatives depending on the circumstances.

So resorts located closer to the train hub could use a people mover system. A monorail extension might also be possible to tie the train hub to one of the monorail lines. I would guess busses would still be used to places like Fort Wilderness.

This is amazing news. :)

EPCOT Explorer

Good news! They're really a lot farther along with things than I thought! Hopefully they'll choose Monorail. :king:

And if we're lucky, maybe this could be the start of a new entrance parking complex and transportation overhaul for Walt Disney World. :D

YES.

A BIGGER Mono, and YES, a real Welcome Center, like what was planned. :D

jt04

YES.

A BIGGER Mono, and YES, a real Welcome Center, like what was planned. :D

There is no way this will be a monorail system. The already have the right of way for a rail system and that is what this will be. But I could see them building a monorail extension to the on property train station. That would be a possibility.

The question is, will Universal build a monorail to the convention center train station? I'm positive Sea World would. So then you could take a train from WDW to the Conv Center and hop on a monorail to Sea World or Universal.

Win Win.

Exprcoofto

With a stop at the Convention Center, there will be no reason why Disney couldn't do a D23 Expo there someday. :lol::D:lookaroun

EPCOT Explorer

There is no way this will be a monorail system. The already have the right of way for a rail system and that is what this will be. But I could see them building a monorail extension to the on property train station. That would be a possibility.

The question is, will Universal build a monorail to the convention center train station? I'm positive Sea World would. So then you could take a train from WDW to the Conv Center and hop on a monorail to Sea World or Universal.

Win Win.
Hey, whatever works. :lol:
With a stop at the Convention Center, there will be no reason why Disney couldn't do a D23 Expo there someday. :lol::D:lookaroun

Oh, and THERE's something nice...:drevil:

Mr.EPCOT

On the other hand, if they do it right, it could really streamline things.

Imagine you've already had your train tickets sent to you in the mail. You arrive at the airport, and just hop on the train without having to wait in a long line for checking in for a Magical Express bus. Meanwhile, your luggage is loaded into a set aside section of the cargo area of the train. You arrive at Vacation Kingdom Central (or whatever) toodle on downstairs to the Resort check-in desk, which acts as a big front desk for all of Walt Disney World, get your Key to the World cards, and jump on the new personal rapid transit system to wherever you want to go first, and that's it. Your luggage would arrive at Central, and be loaded into cargo PRTs to be sent to your Resort and then on to your room. Each Resort would still have their Front Desks, but the load would be lifted some for them. And having a central Front Desk would have the advantage of making Resort changes much easier, if a Resort is overbooked or something.

EPCOT Explorer

On the other hand, if they do it right, it could really streamline things.

Imagine you've already had your train tickets sent to you in the mail. You arrive at the airport, and just hop on the train without having to wait in a long line for checking in for a Magical Express bus. Meanwhile, your luggage is loaded into a set aside section of the cargo area of the train. You arrive at Vacation Kingdom Central (or whatever) toodle on downstairs to the Resort check-in desk, which acts as a big front desk for all of Walt Disney World, get your Key to the World cards, and jump on the new personal rapid transit system to wherever you want to go first, and that's it. Your luggage would arrive at Central, and be loaded into cargo PRTs to be sent to your Resort and then on to your room. Each Resort would still have their Front Desks, but the load would be lifted some for them. And having a central Front Desk would have the advantage of making Resort changes much easier, if a Resort is overbooked or something.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. Do most or all of the check ins THERE. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom