Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

Tamandua

Disney has never been shy about seeking a substantial return on its theme park investments. But some people will undoubtedly see the new line-skipping options as a money grab. Others may view Genie+ as creating an uncomfortable class system.

Mr. D’Amaro said the new offerings were intended to emphasize choice and flexibility, which customers have told the company they want. “Change is change, so it will take a moment for the guest to understand what this is,” he said. “But we are very, very confident in this tool and its ability to improve the guest experience over all.”

Translation: "People are not going to like this, but we'll wear them down and make them like it."

Stevek

I read it as you can pay for up to two additional upcharges, but there’ll be more than two rides in each park that require them.
That's what they really haven't made clear. Is it just 2 attractions or can you pay in advance for 2 attractions and there are more available on this plan.

el_super

I’m sure they’ll change my mind as more details are released, but right now it doesn’t sound quite as bad as what they’re doing in Paris. Obviously nobody likes paying more money but it’s unrealistic to think they’d continue offering a free-ish service when every other amusement/theme park has been charging for it for years. I will always miss the fastpass days, but I’m moreso happy that it happened than sad that it’s over.

I know what you mean here, but looking back, Fastpass was never really a free service was it? The costs of Fastpass was always built into the higher-than-average admissions price for Disney parks. When it was rolled out, it was designed as a way to set Disney apart from the rest of the competition, but that competition quickly caught up, and moreso than Disney, monetized it. And unlike every other system that started with a paid option, Fastpass was open to all who entered the park and as such, worked to a lesser degree than the rest.

In the grand scheme of things, a $20 price increase is nothing. If they can guarantee fairly low (less than 10 minute) waits for every attraction that previously had Fastpass, it will be worth it. I have my doubts that they will be able to do that, and of course, if more people end up buying into the service than it can handle, they will be faced with the dilemma of either raising the price or just allowing the wait times for the lightning lane to balloon.

I think the only thing I am finding disappointing here, is just how complicated and complex the whole experience is getting. I understand how, creating tiers of pricing and services is generally a good way to keep interested the demographics that demand cheap access, but something is definitely getting lost in the experience.

el_super

If this $50 add on is true, I'm out. One ride should not cost 2X+ what the rest of Genie+ cost.

The price for the "Individual" Lightning Lane ticket will vary depending on capacity/attendance/day. So in theory, on New Years Eve, it could reach $50 due to demand. On a random Wednesday in January, it would probably be less.

Tamandua

What happens if you pay $50 for Rise and the ride breaks down in the middle and you're stuck on it for 15 minutes before getting walked out? It's happened to me. Hardly a $50 experience in my opinion.

Newtwo

What happens if you pay $50 for Rise and the ride breaks down in the middle and you're stuck on it for 15 minutes before getting walked out? It's happened to me. Hardly a $50 experience in my opinion.
I'm more curious what happens if smaller things like the ball not working in Indy happen.

You know most guests that pay $100 for their family of 4 to ride Indy that experience something like this are going to complain.

Will Disney tell them to kick rocks? Will they let them ride again? Will they give them all their money back? A partial refund?

Can't wait to see the fine print when you pay for fast lane. I'm sure it will include some clause about the rides not fully functioning.

el_super

Can't wait to see the fine print when you pay for fast lane. I'm sure it will include some clause about the rides not fully functioning.

You're paying for access... to skip the line. You're not paying to guarantee a perfect attraction experience.

DavidDL

As long this sort of change doesn't affect my ability to simply walk into the park and get in line for something like Mansion, I'm whatever about it. If people wanna waste money it, that's their prerogative.

But if the new system starts to create scenarios where virtual queue becomes the only option to experience attractions like Mansion, Pirates, etc. and those virtual queues fill up or are otherwise inconvenient to obtain, then I have a problem because it's pushing you to pay the extra to ride it when you want.

I would hate to walk into the park and be like, "I wanna ride Indiana Jones!" only to be told "Sorry, standby is full, pick a virtual time and if those are all taken or for a time that doesn't work for you, you'll just have to pay us extra to ride the attraction".

Stevek

As long this sort of change doesn't affect my ability to simply walk into the park and get in line for something like Mansion, I'm whatever about it. If people wanna waste money it, that's their prerogative.

But if the new system starts to create scenarios where virtual queue becomes the only option to experience attractions like Mansion, Pirates, etc. and those virtual queues fill up or are otherwise inconvenient to obtain, then I have a problem because it's pushing you to pay the extra to ride it when you want.

I would hate to walk into the park and be like, "I wanna ride Indiana Jones!" only to be told "Sorry, standby is full, pick a virtual time and if those are all taken or for a time that doesn't work for you, you'll just have to pay us extra to ride the attraction".
You should be fine, beyond the boarding pass rides (Rise & Spidey). They made it pretty clear that standby lines would be available for those that weren't interested in paying for Genie+

Tamandua

On April 30th we went straight to Haunted Mansion at 7:45 am to get in line and we were told that the line was full and that we'd have to come back later. That was when the lines were more spaced out for covid, but they have turned people away from standby before.

el_super

By tiering attractions, Disney is clearly putting more value on certain rides. Those rides should be in at least good shape without broken effects everywhere if guests are to pay a premium for them.

That isn't all that different from how it was in the past. People paid a premium, in time, to ride a popular attraction, broken effects and all. Now you can trade money for time.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
That isn't all that different from how it was in the past. People paid a premium, in time, to ride a popular attraction, broken effects and all. Now you can trade money for time.
No. For decades, guests paid one entry price and had full access to rides and attractions without having to pay more. Things are changing a bit now. Granted, Disney is not forcing people to pay extra to experience rides, but it’s the principle of the matter. If you’re asking me to pay more to experience a ride, it’s not far-fetched to have certain expectations for that ride. I would compare it to paying extra for a specific type of seat on a plane. If I’m paying extra money for a specific type of seat, I expect that seat to be in good shape and better than the other seats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom