Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Indy_UK

Still can’t wait for Chapek to go but Genie+ was always going to bring in big $$$$

Doesn’t look like the crowds are reducing though with all the price hikes

CJR

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

flynnibus

Premium Member

Up to 50 percent of Walt Disney World park guests are upgrading to Disney Genie+ according to Bob Chapek​

"As we return to a more normalized environment we look forward to more fully capitalizing on the extraordinary demand for our parks along with realized benefits that took shape this quarter"

There's that YIELD again... how to squeeze more from each person. Like vampires.

Squishy

"As we return to a more normalized environment we look forward to more fully capitalizing on the extraordinary demand for our parks along with realized benefits that took shape this quarter"

There's that YIELD again... how to squeeze more from each person. Like vampires.
What's more sad is they don't even care to hide it anymore.

runnsally

Yep. Except it won't be $15 for long, when Disney decides that due to popular demand, and the purported need to keep the system viable, they need to raise prices to $30 or more.
I think it does make sense to keep raising the price until utilization is closer to 25-30% of guests. Otherwise, they’ll have to increase LL allocation and standby will become undoable.

MrPromey

What's more sad is they don't even care to hide it anymore.
Yep - they're basically making it known that now fully game on: them vs. the guests.

There was the lingering concern that with both Genie+ and ILL, Disney would be able to turn the problem with overcrowding into a financial opportunity and at the same time, disincentivize themselves from doing anything at all to fix this issue.

The question was, what was to prevent them from going that route now that they could make money off not having enough capacity?

Apparently, the answer to that question is nothing, nothing at all.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think it does make sense to keep raising the price until utilization is closer to 25-30% of guests. Otherwise, they’ll have to increase LL allocation and standby will become undoable.
Allocation is already heavily tilted towards LL vs. standby.

“Sir, guests are hating the new system. Should we try to fix it?”

“What?!?! NO! Raise the price and put out a PR fluff piece to make it seem popular. And you’re fired!”

Tom Morrow

I have largely ignored Genie+ since its inception. But I have long been an advocate on these forums for NO Fastpass system at all. Having said that, I now finally have spent a few days in the parks with Genie+ in place but not purchasing it since I am a local. Here's my 2 cents: I NEVER thought I would say this, but I would even take Fastpass+ back over this.

My favorite way to visit the parks has always been to go in the late afternoon and early evening when crowds used to start dying down. In the days of Fastpass+ I could usually still at least reserve an attraction or two I wanted to ride. Now I can't do that. In the Covid/no Fastpass days, I was able to ride stuff because the lines were moving faster. Can't do that now. In the days of paper Fastpass, there would usually still be some available, or people had mostly used all they could for the day by the evening so the impact on the standby lines was minimal.

Now, they have both successfully found a way to keep the queues filled all the way to park close AND require you to pay up to skip them. We had hoped that having a paywall behind the service would reduce the amount of people using the Fastpass, excuse me, Lightning Lane entrances, thereby reducing the demand and allotting for a more flowing standby line. But, this does not appear to be the case. Maybe on light days? But on a light day, you don't need it. The busier the park is > the more people buy Genie+ > the less they can actually use Genie+ > the more it prohibits the standby lines.

Here's how I would rank the park experience:

1. Legacy Fastpass (only if you knew how to game the system like me, for the average guest, number 2 is best)
2. NO Fastpass type system at all
3. Fastpass+
4. Genie+

pdude81

I have largely ignored Genie+ since its inception. But I have long been an advocate on these forums for NO Fastpass system at all. Having said that, I now finally have spent a few days in the parks with Genie+ in place but not purchasing it since I am a local. Here's my 2 cents: I NEVER thought I would say this, but I would even take Fastpass+ back over this.

My favorite way to visit the parks has always been to go in the late afternoon and early evening when crowds used to start dying down. In the days of Fastpass+ I could usually still at least reserve an attraction or two I wanted to ride. Now I can't do that. In the Covid/no Fastpass days, I was able to ride stuff because the lines were moving faster. Can't do that now. In the days of paper Fastpass, there would usually still be some available, or people had mostly used all they could for the day by the evening so the impact on the standby lines was minimal.

Now, they have both successfully found a way to keep the queues filled all the way to park close AND require you to pay up to skip them. We had hoped that having a paywall behind the service would reduce the amount of people using the Fastpass, excuse me, Lightning Lane entrances, thereby reducing the demand and allotting for a more flowing standby line. But, this does not appear to be the case. Maybe on light days? But on a light day, you don't need it. The busier the park is > the more people buy Genie+ > the less they can actually use Genie+ > the more it prohibits the standby lines.

Here's how I would rank the park experience:

1. Legacy Fastpass (only if you knew how to game the system like me, for the average guest, number 2 is best)
2. NO Fastpass type system at all
3. Fastpass+
4. Genie+
This service seems most specifically designed to get more money out of guests like you

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Yep - they're basically making it known that now fully game on: them vs. the guests.

There was the lingering concern that with both Genie+ and ILL, Disney would be able to turn the problem with overcrowding into a financial opportunity and at the same time, disincentivize themselves from doing anything at all to fix this issue.

The question was, what was to prevent them from going that route now that they could make money off not having enough capacity?

Apparently, the answer to that question is nothing, nothing at all.

G+ is a classic prisoner's dilemma, and Disney is clearly our jailor.

Nottamus

Until the next statement comes out about how “75% of people buy G+” so everyone else thinks
“Hmmmm, it must not be too bad, let’s buy it”

We have been to wdw 2 trips with G+ an option..guess I’m still in the “other” 50%

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom