Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
It’s really not, so long as you get EE and rope drop you don’t need it.
There are lots of things I don't need, but I don't live in communist Russia, so I don't live my life by what I need. If I save an hour in line - which I have every day I used it other than the day I only got 1 G+ before having to leave to catch a plane - $15 for me/$45 for my family has paid for itself in spades. And saving time in line is something I am both willing and able to pay for.

You know, you can escape, you have the key... Don't go.
Not going since 2017...

Oh well, I have a trip in March with a buddy for the Starcruiser and a family trip in December. Despite their best efforts, they have not yet driven me away.

But look, I'm also a Longhorn fan, so self-loathing masochism is something I'm intimately familiar with.

Touchdown

There are lots of things I don't need, but I don't live in communist Russia, so I don't live my life by what I need. If I save an hour in line - which I have every day I used it other than the day I only got 1 G+ before having to leave to catch a plane - $15 for me/$45 for my family has paid for itself in spades. And saving time in line is something I am both willing and able to pay for.

Oh well, I have a trip in March with a buddy for the Starcruiser and a family trip in December. Despite their best efforts, they have not yet driven me away.

But look, I'm also a Longhorn fan, so self-loathing masochism is something I'm intimately familiar with.
The only time I waited more then an hour was for Rise (due to breakdown.) I waited 30-60 min about 1-2 times a day, and I didn’t have to stress at 7am on my phone (which I hated with BG) if it was more beneficial I would do it, but the hassle to benefit ratio is just not there for me.

Also, yes, I would pay more for a better version of the product.

Purduevian

My favorite way to visit the parks has always been to go in the late afternoon and early evening when crowds used to start dying down. In the days of Fastpass+ I could usually still at least reserve an attraction or two I wanted to ride. Now I can't do that.
There is at least 1 "trick" that might help you. Assuming you have a park hopper or annual pass.
Say you want to go to MK in the afternoon. Make a park reservation for EPCOT and buy G+. Then at whatever time in the morning you are willing to wake up, book a G+ reservation at MK. All of your times will be after 2pm as that's the time you are allowed into MK. Once you are ready to go to the park simply switch your reservation to MK.

G00fyDad

There is at least 1 "trick" that might help you. Assuming you have a park hopper or annual pass.
Say you want to go to MK in the afternoon. Make a park reservation for EPCOT and buy G+. Then at whatever time in the morning you are willing to wake up, book a G+ reservation at MK. All of your times will be after 2pm as that's the time you are allowed into MK. Once you are ready to go to the park simply switch your reservation to MK.
If there are any open spots the "day of".

Jeff4272

Chapek said that demand is so high that they are able to reduce expenses by removing offerings while raising prices. I think he said something to the effect of 'demand is so high that we have pricing power so we can raise prices while lowering offerings and make more money than ever'

Exactly why we sold our DVC....they dont care about the customers, only the shareholders (i used to be both, now only a shareholder)...........great stock, terrible experience

He didnt even try to sugar coat this eps report..........Just came out and said "people are suckers so we will take advantage of them"

CJR

great stock

The truth is that the stock isn't that great. It's at a high right now, but that's only great if you bought it at a low point. If you're in it to make money, I wouldn't buy it today when compared to other options. The long term is what is concerning for me. Right now, it's a lot of betting on the streaming wars, but that's very short term. What happens after Disney wins?

With Chapek, I'm not betting on his creativity to get the company beyond Disney+. A decline in theme park satisfaction - paired with a slow down of investment (not much excitement after Tron and Guardians in FL for example), potential churn from Disney+ (inevitable with its easy cancelation policy and future price increases that we all know are coming), loss of theatrical revenue, could all lead the company down a different path if they're not careful. With the right person in charge, they can handle these things. That's the problem, for me.

Minnesota disney fan

I just read some of Chapek's annual report on another thread on here. In it he said (I might not be verbatim but I try to get the point across), that he was gearing towards a certain kind of guest who wants a bespoke experience, an expensive experience, etc. There was more of this garbage, but that's the gist of it. Then he says what sounded like on one Tuesday a month they could lower the prices because of the high end customers so the rest of us non rich guests could visit.
I felt very sad after reading this. It explains exactly that he only wants high spending, rich guests, so they can finance his losses on the one day a month for the rest of us lower class. What a jerk. It is obvious that he is leaning this way, but to have it spelled out like that is just cruel to all the dedicated disney fans who love it and aren't rich.
Someone had better tell this guy that he is ruining the brand name and he better do something about it. But that is wishful thinking on my part. Once the brand name is ruined there is no turning back IMO.

Jeff4272

Chapek said that demand is so high that they are able to reduce expenses by removing offerings while raising prices. I think he said something to the effect of 'demand is so high that we have pricing power so we can raise prices while lowering offerings and make more money than ever'

Exactly why we sold our DVC....they dont care about the customers, only the shareholders (i used to be both, now only a shareholder)...........great stock, terrible experience

He didnt even try to sugar coat this eps report..........Just came out and said "people are suckers so we will take advantage of them"

I just read some of Chapek's annual report on another thread on here. In it he said (I might not be verbatim but I try to get the point across), that he was gearing towards a certain kind of guest who wants a bespoke experience, an expensive experience, etc. There was more of this garbage, but that's the gist of it. Then he says what sounded like on one Tuesday a month they could lower the prices because of the high end customers so the rest of us non rich guests could visit.
I felt very sad after reading this. It explains exactly that he only wants high spending, rich guests, so they can finance his losses on the one day a month for the rest of us lower class. What a jerk. It is obvious that he is leaning this way, but to have it spelled out like that is just cruel to all the dedicated disney fans who love it and aren't rich.
Someone had better tell this guy that he is ruining the brand name and he better do something about it. But that is wishful thinking on my part. Once the brand name is ruined there is no turning back IMO.
Couldn't agree more.........It is a disgrace..........analysts asked him about the negative feedback they were receiving online and he just said:

"demand has never been better.......spending has never been higher...........costs are lower and profits are soaring"

he just doesnt care

Purduevian

Thinking about interesting ways to use G+ to it's full potential. One thought I had was once all the "good" rides have wait times way out or none available was to try booking for a less desirable attraction with poor up time. From what I understand, if a ride breaks down during your return time you get a multiple experiences pass AND can book another LL immediately. Is there anywhere online that tracks ride uptime/downtime averages?

For instance right Winnie the Pooh has been down a fair amount this week and is currently down with a 1:20pm return time.
1644687506720.png

SingleRider

Premium Member
Thinking about interesting ways to use G+ to it's full potential. One thought I had was once all the "good" rides have wait times way out or none available was to try booking for a less desirable attraction with poor up time. From what I understand, if a ride breaks down during your return time you get a multiple experiences pass AND can book another LL immediately. Is there anywhere online that tracks ride uptime/downtime averages?

For instance right Winnie the Pooh has been down a fair amount this week and is currently down with a 1:20pm return time.
View attachment 620643
Better yet I booked Mad Tea Party for a return time less than an hour out and it turned into a multi experience for any park the next day.

yensid1967

Up to 50 percent of Walt Disney World park guests are upgrading to Disney Genie+ according to Bob Chapek​

-Yeah, of course he is going to say something like that, so it looks good to the shareholders! The same shareholders that want him out!
I think when Disney started to charge resort guests to park their cars for their stays, costing $200+, I think that was the beginning of the end of Disney. And look at where we are today!

SteveAZee

Up to 50 percent of Walt Disney World park guests are upgrading to Disney Genie+ according to Bob Chapek​

-Yeah, of course he is going to say something like that, so it looks good to the shareholders! The same shareholders that want him out!
I think when Disney started to charge resort guests to park their cars for their stays, costing $200+, I think that was the beginning of the end of Disney. And look at where we are today!
It could certainly be (from what I read) that if a guest made a purchase of G+ once and/or a purchase of ILL once during their stay, that would count in the 33% to 50% stats. I guess the opposite would be that 50% to 67% of all guests, during their entire stay, never purchased either.

I would guess that it would be tempting to pay the fee at least once to try it.

drizgirl

It could certainly be (from what I read) that if a guest made a purchase of G+ once and/or a purchase of ILL once during their stay, that would count in the 33% to 50% stats. I guess the opposite would be that 50% to 67% of all guests, during their entire stay, never purchased either.

I would guess that it would be tempting to pay the fee at least once to try it.
I read it that way too. And I think a lot of people are buying it right now to try it.

We had 4 park days on our last trip and bought G+ for one day. I doubt we'll buy it next time we go.

Magenta Panther

I just watched the online vlogger The Carpetbagger - one of the better vlogsters out there - recording his trip to WDW. Today, he went to DHS, and tried to use Genie+ and Lightning Lane....and wound up paying $60 to go to Toy Story Midway Mania. Holy crap. He's a pretty easy-going fellow, but he was NOT happy (duh) and said that Genie and LL were not worth it. Incidentally, he stood in line - without using Genie and LL - for MMRR, and did not wait as long as his app predicted the wait would be. He saw the preshow for the first time, and gave us a good view of how bizarre and hideous the Mickey and Minnie heads look in the sports car scene.

Yeah, WDW can stuff it. I'd rather spend the money to go to Tokyo Disney, or Phantasialand or Europa Park (GORGEOUS place) in Germany, or Efteling (amazing place) in the Netherlands. OR just visit some of the wonderful, magical art environments created by Meow Wolf and others. There's a new environment in St. Petersburg, FL right now called The Fairgrounds, and it looks awesome! More style and imagination there than WDW's "Imagineers" have created in years.

JMcMahonEsq

I just watched the online vlogger The Carpetbagger - one of the better vlogsters out there - recording his trip to WDW. Today, he went to DHS, and tried to use Genie+ and Lightning Lane....and wound up paying $60 to go to Toy Story Midway Mania. Holy crap. He's a pretty easy-going fellow, but he was NOT happy (duh) and said that Genie and LL were not worth it. Incidentally, he stood in line - without using Genie and LL - for MMRR, and did not wait as long as his app predicted the wait would be. He saw the preshow for the first time, and gave us a good view of how bizarre and hideous the Mickey and Minnie heads look in the sports car scene.

Yeah, WDW can stuff it. I'd rather spend the money to go to Tokyo Disney, or Phantasialand or Europa Park (GORGEOUS place) in Germany, or Efteling (amazing place) in the Netherlands. OR just visit some of the wonderful, magical art environments created by Meow Wolf and others. There's a new environment in St. Petersburg, FL right now called The Fairgrounds, and it looks awesome! More style and imagination there than WDW's "Imagineers" have created in years.
Don’t let the door hit your on the way out. Less people at the park when we are there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom