Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

nickys

Premium Member
So it seems like we've had enough time to drop attractions into tier lists. What does everyone think of this list?
ParkS tierA TierB tierC tierD tier
Magic KingdomJungle Cruise, Peter PanBig Thunder, Splash, Haunted MansionPiratesBuzz, Pooh, small world, MermaidDumbo, Meet and greet, Barnstormer, Tea Party, Aladdin, Monster Inc, Speedway
EPCOTTest TrackSoarinMission Space, Spaceship EarthLiving with the LandImagination, Nemo, Crush, Pixar
DHSSlinkySmugglers RunRnRC, ToTTSMM, AlienST, Olaf, BatB, Disney Jr. Frozen, Indy, Muppet
AKNavi, KilimanjaroDinosaurKaliBug, Animation, fotLKFeathered Friends in flight
Depends what it’s rating.
Difficulty to get one? Then Slinky has to in a tier of its own since it sells out PDQ. And BTMRR is available quite late into the day.
What you should prioritise in booking? I’d have JC on its own in MK since you can’t ride it during early entry whilst you can get to PPF
Saving time in queues? Touring Plans have data on this, showing what order it is best to book them in.

And now that some meet & greets are being included that could change things too.

DisneyDreamer08

I was in Disney all last week and used Genie+ and ILL several times. I typically travel with my husband and kids but this trip was my very first solo trip. Since I was alone, it was easier to justify the price. Obviously as a family of four, I may not have used it so much. Of course I am not happy to pay for this system but the most frustrating part was that it just doesn’t work good. A few examples-
One day in MK, I purchased G+. For my first LL, I chose Thunder Mountain at 9:30. After tapping in, I wanted Peter Pan next. The time was for 4pm. I had a dining reservation at 4pm. Why couldn’t Genie recognize this and offer an alternate time? I chose Haunted Mansion instead. After tapping into that, I tried for Pan again. Return was 8pm, during the fireworks. This was obviously no fault of the genie but I once again chose something else. A short time later, Pan was gone. I wish you were given a few time choice instead of one.
The day I went to DHS, I decided I would purchase ILL for M&M and Rise and use standby for everything else. I was ready to go at 6:50. 7am on the dot, I refreshed, picked a time for Rise and when it went to the next page, it just kept spinning and spinning. This was my first time purchasing an ILL so I assumed my time was set and I should just let it spin. After a solid three minutes, I finally gave up, closed out the app and went back in. Rise was sold out. So then I tried for M&M and the same thing happened. I would select a time and it would just spin and spin. Finally at 7:15, the system appeared to refresh and a bunch of new times popped up. I was then able to successfully secure times for both rides but not at the times I wanted. A very stressful start to my day.
On another day, I was going to Disney Springs in the morning and AK in the afternoon. Even though I was hoping to sleep in a bit, of course I still woke up at 7 to try and get an ILL for FoP. At 7 I chose a time, it went to the purchase page, it spun for a few seconds, then said your booking has been released. I clicked through the same series of pages for 33 minutes, every time, it said my booking was release. I was finally successful at 7:33. I took many screen grabs along the way so I could show the blue umbrella people. Now because I was alone, and not rope dropping that day, I was able to sit there for 33 minutes and attempt to get this ILL. But if my kids were there, and we were all getting ready and trying to get out the door, there’s no way I could have sat there for that long. I did talk to someone about it later in the day and she said there were system wide issues that morning 🤷🏻‍♀️
Overall, I found Genie to be very stressful. I did not enjoying waking up every morning and fighting with the system. If this is the system they insist on using, it should at least work properly.

Last edited:

drizgirl

I was in Disney all last week and used Genie+ and ILL several times. I typically travel with my husband and kids but this trip was my very first solo trip. Since I was alone, it was easier to justify the price. Obviously as a family of four, I may not have used it so much. Of course I am not happy to pay for this system but the most frustrating part was that it just doesn’t work good. A few examples-
One day in MK, I purchased G+. For my first LL, I chose Thunder Mountain at 9:30. After tapping in, I wanted Peter Pan next. The time was for 4pm. I had a dining reservation at 4pm. Why couldn’t Genie recognize this and offer an alternate time? I chose Haunted Mansion instead. After tapping into that, I tried for Pan again. Return was 8pm, during the fireworks. This was obviously no fault of the genie but I once again chose something else. A short time later, Pan was gone. I wish you were given a few time choice instead of one.
The day I went to DHS, I decided I would purchase ILL for M&M and Rise and use standby for everything else. I was ready to go at 6:50. 7am on the dot, I refreshed, picked a time for Rise and when it went to the next page, it just kept spinning and spinning. This was my first time purchasing an ILL so I assumed my time was set and I should just let it spin. After a solid three minutes, I finally gave up, closed out the app and went back in. Rise was sold out. So then I tried for M&M and the same thing happened. I would select a time and it would just spin and spin. Finally at 7:15, the system appeared to refresh and a bunch of new times popped up. I was then able to successfully secure times for both rides but not at the times I wanted. A very stressful start to my day.
On another day, I was going to Disney Springs in the morning and AK in the afternoon. Even though I was hoping to sleep in a bit, of course I still woke up at 7 to try and get an ILL for FoP. At 7 I chose a time, it went to the purchase page, it spun for a few seconds, then said your booking has been released. I clicked through the same series of pages for 33 minutes, every time, it said my booking was release. I was finally successful at 7:33. I took many screen grabs along the way so I could show the blue umbrella people. Now because I was alone, and not rope dropping that day, I was able to sit there for 33 minutes and attempt to get this ILL. But if my kids were there, and we were all getting ready and trying to get out the door, there’s no way I could have sat there for that long. I did talk to someone about it later in the day and she said there were system wide issues that morning 🤷🏻‍♀️
Overall, I found Genie to be very stressful. I did not enjoying waking up every morning and fighting with the system. If this is the system they insist on using, it should at least work properly.
The return window is an hour. You should have taken that 8 pm slot for PP.

gerarar

Premium Member
Just a tip, even though the window starts at 8pm, you have from 8-9:15pm to scan and enter the ride, which is very much doable after the fireworks.

Just an example that I did, I booked Pirates at 8pm, which coincides with DE fireworks. After the show, I headed straight there and scanned in around 8:35ish.

DisneyDreamer08

The return window is an hour. You should have taken that 8 pm slot for PP.

Just a tip, even though the window starts at 8pm, you have from 8-9:15pm to scan and enter the ride, which is very much doable after the fireworks.

Just an example that I did, I booked Pirates at 8pm, which coincides with DE fireworks. After the show, I headed straight there and scanned in around 8:35ish.
Yes I realize you can scan in 5 minutes early/late and I know it’s a one hour time slot. I just didn’t want to be fighting the crowds and swimming up stream after the fireworks 😉

Touchdown

I really needed G+ this morning:
-SDMT
-Pan
-Pirates
-BTMRR
-HM
-Mermaid
-Peoplemover
-Space
-Philharmagic
-CBJ
Out of the park and onto Epcot by 1:15pm. My day was really ruined by not purchasing G+ and ILL…

Chi84

Premium Member
I really needed G+ this morning:
-SDMT
-Pan
-Pirates
-BTMRR
-HM
-Mermaid
-Peoplemover
-Space
-Philharmagic
-CBJ
Out of the park and onto Epcot by 1:15pm. My day was really ruined by not purchasing G+ and ILL…
I don’t think it’s as necessary for people who are in the parks as soon as they open. It’s probably more necessary for those who get there later or maybe spend the morning at a water park and save the theme parks for afternoon or evening.

DisneyDreamer08

When I talked to the blue umbrella people about my issues, she said no one likes the system and be sure to answer the survey I receive after checking out. I checked out this past Saturday and still haven’t received a genie specific survey ☹️ I did receive one specifically for my dinner at Artist Point and another for my stay at Music. I’m really hoping I get the Genie survey!

gerarar

Premium Member
I got the same/similar survey a couple days before Christmas. Unfortunately I never saved the actual survey and its questions when I did it.
Screenshot_20220208-104953_Gmail.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom