Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Chi84

Premium Member
Because value is subjective. Maximizing value/use looks different for everyone, and further is not always the goal for someone in every aspect of their day. Which is what I’ve been saying throughout lol, I think it’s pretty normal for a person to feel like they need to make the most out of a purchase. I do not find it “insane” nor do I think they should just budget more.
It's the difference between value and worth. Many here do not accept it.

Kamikaze

Because value is subjective. Maximizing value/use looks different for everyone, and further is not always the goal for someone in every aspect of their day. Which is what I’ve been saying throughout lol, I think it’s pretty normal for a person to feel like they need to make the most out of a purchase. I do not find it “insane” nor do I think they should just budget more.
So, lets play this out then. If you're worried about the $30 (times however many people) for LL MP, how is having to fight for every second of use somehow a better use of your time/money than saving potentially $500+ per night for dropping down a resort category? You realize it doesn't make sense, right?

I value convenience. So a closer room and easier time is worth more to me than just trying to steal every second of LL.

Purduevian

This system combines the WORST features of FP+ and the WORST features of Genie+ (except eliminating the 7am wake up which they could have done without tiers)

I do not see how this system benefits anyone, other than the 7am wake up (again, could have done it without the MAJOR overhaul)

It brings back the terrible aspects and memories of FP+ (which they wanted to get rid of BTW) except its WORSE because now you have to pay for it and there are fewer rides available because of ILL's

This is AWFUL
7am wake up isn't even eliminated if you want a VQ.

Disneydad1012

This system combines the WORST features of FP+ and the WORST features of Genie+ (except eliminating the 7am wake up which they could have done without tiers)

I do not see how this system benefits anyone, other than the 7am wake up (again, could have done it without the MAJOR overhaul)
Yup!! And now I'm concerned since our MK day is the 2nd day of our trip...if things like Tianas and other tier 1's are already gone at that point then I would not buy at all and just rope drop what we can.

osian

My guess is this system will be changed within 3 months.....Sales will decline with this since it really puts non resort guests and non rope droppers at a MAJOR disadvantage......
And international guests - they don't even get non-resort guests privilege. Unless of course they start their holiday in the USA 7 days before going to WDW, as we are reminded, so of course they're not disadvantaged in any way and shouldn't complain about it because people here don't like it.

Purduevian

So, lets play this out then. If you're worried about the $30 (times however many people) for LL MP, how is having to fight for every second of use somehow a better use of your time/money than saving potentially $500+ per night for dropping down a resort category? You realize it doesn't make sense, right?

I value convenience. So a closer room and easier time is worth more to me than just trying to steal every second of LL.
They didn't say they were worried about spending the x*$30, they just want to maximize the value of it. I think everyone also wants to maximize the "value" of their hotel, but people value different things at different rates.
How much is being at a monorail resort "worth"?
How much is a nicer hotel room "worth"?
How much is a nicer pool "worth"?

The answer is different for everyone.

How much is LLMP "worth"?
The answer is also different to everyone, but everyone pays the same. I don't think it's odd to want to maximize that "worth"

TheMaxRebo

And this is my MAJOR complaint with the new system.......Anyone that is not in the park yet or has not purchased it yet, why would you spend the $ to get just one Tier 1 ride at 8pm and none of the top Tier 2 rides? It's only 10:30 in the morning and if MK has 60k guests today, my guess is only about 10k have entered the park so that alienates the remaining guests and anyone who doesnt rope drop

This new system is terrible and not even CLOSE to worth the $

Good news is you can see this before buying it and if you do see these then just don't buy it

Way better than buying into something ahead of time with no idea what the availability will be

Kamikaze

They didn't say they were worried about spending the x*$30, they just want to maximize the value of it. I think everyone also wants to maximize the "value" of their hotel, but people value different things at different rates.
How much is being at a monorail resort "worth"?
How much is a nicer hotel room "worth"?
How much is a nicer pool "worth"?

The answer is different for everyone.

How much is LLMP "worth"?
The answer is also different to everyone, but everyone pays the same. I don't think it's odd to want to maximize that "worth"
It IS odd to do so to the level of obsession.

The point isn't trying to find out its 'worth'. The point is that obsessively trying to maximize every second of your day to the point where you find yourself 'stuck' in your phone is whats taking away from the perceived 'value'.

You can try to say 'people value things differently' all you want, but you're still spending the money on those things. If you're worried about maximizing the $30 LL but not the $500 hotel, that doesn't jive with each other. Get the cheaper hotel and not worry as much about needing to hit every single ride and filling every single minute.

TheMaxRebo

Do you only book the lowest level hotels or flights to 'maximize' value as well? Only eat the lowest price food items that are the biggest relative portions? How far do you take this?

I look at best value - so often yes, it is the lower level hotels and cheapest flights, but if the 2nd cheapest flight is significantly more convenient I will book that one as there is value there

Same thing with food, if the thing that looks the best to be is more expensive I will get it but if only a little bit better than something cheaper I will get the cheaper item

It is maximizing value - which isn't always the cheapest but cost does play a role for sure

JIMMYEDDIE

Good news is you can see this before buying it and if you do see these then just don't buy it

Way better than buying into something ahead of time with no idea what the availability will be
Genie+ had plenty of availability....I would always get all of the top rides in every park and that was not entering the parks until 2pm or later..........

Jrb1979

First I will say that no matter what they do to change this, there isn't enough capacity for this to work.

Second when it comes to value, we personally don't see value in this system going back to FP. A lot of it is how we tour parks. For my family paying to have short waits for 3-4 rides is not worth paying the cost. If I'm paying for shorter waits I want to be able to ride things multiple times and get as many rides as possible.

easyrowrdw

Yes, but you are doing that on your downtime. In line, exhausted at lunch, etc. I never found it to get in the way of my trip and we only go to each park for 1 day, and ride everything we can.
That’s time I would prefer to be visiting with my family. As the planner, there was always a push-pull between that time and the “need” to figure out what we’re doing next. With FP+ we had our plan ahead of time and it usually went fine. Only much later in the day did it become more of a free-for-all that required more regular attention.

Jrb1979

Correct - which is better than people buying, then not seeing it, and complaining to guests services

If this really hampers sales (total $) then they will either have to add capacity or increase the price
We know which they will most likely do. It may end up being a good thing if they raise the price to the point that those who do buy it get good value from it.

I would be ok paying $50 a person if it means there is availability all day long.

DCLcruiser

That’s time I would prefer to be visiting with my family. As the planner, there was always a push-pull between that time and the “need” to figure out what we’re doing next. With FP+ we had our plan ahead of time and it usually went fine. Only much later in the day did it become more of a free-for-all that required more regular attention.
I hear you. I am usually just with my wife. So, being cranky with each other in the heat usually made phone time ok. Haha.

Chip Chipperson

If the argument is 'I want to stretch every penny' out of the purchase, then yes, they are the same.

There's no decent argument that if you're just calling a hotel a hotel, that All Stars and Grand Flo are the same 'value'.
That's just a disingenuous argument. You're suggesting that there is no value - real or perceived by the guest - in the larger rooms, better transportation options, proximity to MK, better pools, and better on-site dining offered at a deluxe resort like GF compared to All-Star with its bus-only park transportation, smaller rooms, lower-quality pools, and QS-only food court. Getting value from a hotel room is subjective. Some only care about a cheap room with enough beds for their group. Others want the comfort features of a deluxe and will have a "pool day" to maximize the value, for example. That's why there are different resort (and room) levels with different prices. G+ didn't have tiers within an individual park. There was no "5 LLs for $X or 2 LLs for $Y" option. If you were in MK then you paid the cost of G+ for MK that day. "Maximizing value" then likely becomes getting as many rides (or as many "good" rides) as possible, which means more time on your phone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom