Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Kingoglow

My guess is this system will be changed within 3 months.....Sales will decline with this since it really puts non resort guests and non rope droppers at a MAJOR disadvantage......

And tis is on a slow day.......Who would pay for this right now if you were just entering MK and couldnt get any Tier 1 rides until 8pm and the top two Tier 2 rides were already long gone?

Failure and borderline disaster

is it a slow day? I bet every blogger and influencer has teams out in force, in several parks and on both coasts, to make content today.

Purduevian

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If tiers 1's are truly sold out this early then it's not worth it at all. We don't go till mid/end of August so at least we have time to see the trends.
FYI:
0 refreshes: SM 7:35PM
1 refresh: SM 8:10PM
2 refresh: Pirates 4:00pm, SM 7:55PM
3 refresh: SM 8:10PM
4 refresh: Pirates 3:30PM, SM 8:20PM
5 refresh: SM 8:35PM

Looks like the refresh game is alive and well...
It's not super surprising to me because everyone is basically in the process of booking there 3.5ish LL now (Everyone has at least 3, a good chunk probably have booked #4, and some are probably on #5). The same thing wouldn't happen on a normal day until like 4 hours after park opening.

Disneydad1012

Yes but it also penalizes resort guests........If you were entering MK right now with your 7 and 9 year old and couldn't get any Tier 1's (except Space at 8pm) and none of the top Tier 2 rides, why would you pay for this?
absolutely agree. And I'm sure most guests are unaware you can refresh and get different options.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Yes but it also penalizes resort guests........If you were entering MK right now with your 7 and 9 year old and couldn't get any Tier 1's (except Space at 8pm) and none of the top Tier 2 rides, why would you pay for this?

I agree with you that what we are seeing now is terrible. I have a trip starting next weekend as a resort guest and what I'm seeing is giving my pause. I hope that a lot of people what we are seeing today is from bugs and maybe set lower caps at every attraction in anticipation of bugs.

lightningtap347

But pay is a big thing. If I get a paper fastpass, use it, then can't get one for another attractions (or at least one that is longer than a 15 minute wait), who cares. But, if I had paid $25 and that is the case, you get real angry.
Now you won't even need to pay because everything will be sold out days in advance, so that's better for your wallet at least!

Kamikaze

I disagree that wanting to get your own perceived value out of a purchase implies the inability to afford something or a need to save more.

It’s like the DDP conversations where some people love to buy it to spend and forget, and some people only want it if it actually makes financial sense in their opinion. Neither are wrong.
If the idea of 'perceived value' is causing the user to obsessively 'maximize' their day by constantly checking wait times and changing return times on their phones - to the point where they feel its a detriment to their day - you're losing a portion of that 'perceived value' because their day (in their opinion) is worse off because of it.

In the case of DDP, they're probably both wrong. Its not a good purchase pretty much no matter what.

Kamikaze

You’re conflating most value with least expensive. They’re not always the same.
If the argument is 'I want to stretch every penny' out of the purchase, then yes, they are the same.

There's no decent argument that if you're just calling a hotel a hotel, that All Stars and Grand Flo are the same 'value'.

Purduevian

If the argument is 'I want to stretch every penny' out of the purchase, then yes, they are the same.
People value different things in different amounts and thats ok. I also like to maximize my G+/LLMP by refreshing my phone while in the parks.

However, I don't ever buy ILL/LLSP because I did it once and didn't feel as valuable. I could afford it, but it doesn't have enough value to me.

Last edited:

ConfettiCupcake

There's no decent argument that if you're just calling a hotel a hotel, that All Stars and Grand Flo are the same 'value'.

I still disagree. Value is subjective. It might even be based on intangibles in the case of the hotel comparison.

With the hotel comparisons, there are people who will never book Grand Flo or any Disney hotel for that matter despite being able to easily afford it because they don’t see the value in the purchase. Others do. Some only see the value if they can “maximize” their stay with taking advantage of the resort specific amenities (aka the I want more than just a place to sleep crowd). Likewise for the line skip systems. Wanting to get your own max value out of it if you choose to purchase doesn’t imply anything about one’s ability to afford the purchase.

I think we all have a certain level of experience we expect to get out of a purchase. I think it’s more than fair to say that someone who can afford LLMP with ease still may not find value in it if they are not able to book enough attractions to meet their standard. On the flip side, someone who has barely fit the purchase into their budget may be ecstatic with their 3 initial attractions.

ashleyk

I'm sorry if I've missed this, but do we know yet how the new system will work on party days (Halloween, Christmas, etc.)? If you have a party ticket (and not a "regular" park ticket) for a given day, will you be able to purchase LLMP and book attractions with return times starting at 4 p.m.? Not sure it would be worth it given the price, but just curious if having a party ticket would allow you to book times in the general 4 - 7 p.m. overlap window between party guests gaining entrance to the park and park closing time for non-party guests. Thank you!

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Quick question, since the new system has launched today does that mean that people have already book ahead foe today or that today is the first day when things can be booked ahead?

Kamikaze

I still disagree. Value is subjective. It might even be based on intangibles in the case of the hotel comparison.

With the hotel comparisons, there are people who will never book Grand Flo or any Disney hotel for that matter despite being able to easily afford it because they don’t see the value in the purchase. Others do. Some only see the value if they can “maximize” their stay with taking advantage of the resort specific amenities (aka the I want more than just a place to sleep crowd). Likewise for the line skip systems. Wanting to get your own max value out of it if you choose to purchase doesn’t imply anything about one’s ability to afford the purchase.

I think we all have a certain level of experience we expect to get out of a purchase. I think it’s more than fair to say that someone who can afford LLMP with ease still may not find value in it if they are not able to book enough attractions to meet their standard. On the flip side, someone who has barely fit the purchase into their budget may be ecstatic with their 3 initial attractions.
The bolded goes against 'maximizing' every cent of LL or your other examples. If its about needing to find maximum value, why does that only apply to LL?

ConfettiCupcake

The bolded goes against 'maximizing' every cent of LL or your other examples. If its about needing to find maximum value, why does that only apply to LL?

Because value is subjective. Maximizing value/use looks different for everyone, and further is not always the goal for someone in every aspect of their day. Which is what I’ve been saying throughout lol, I think it’s pretty normal for a person to feel like they need to make the most out of a purchase. I do not find it “insane” nor do I think they should just budget more.

JIMMYEDDIE

Just saw that other site post Tiana's is sold out for days in advance...Somone posted its sold out till the 28th...So that means off site is out of luck if they miss the VQ at 1pm
This system combines the WORST features of FP+ and the WORST features of Genie+ (except eliminating the 7am wake up which they could have done without tiers)

I do not see how this system benefits anyone, other than the 7am wake up (again, could have done it without the MAJOR overhaul)

It brings back the terrible aspects and memories of FP+ (which they wanted to get rid of BTW) except its WORSE because now you have to pay for it and there are fewer rides available because of ILL's

This is AWFUL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom