News Disney Explores Amazon Prime-Like Membership Program to Offer Discounts and Perks

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe membership gets Genie included, among other benefits.

IDK. We are a family that have owned DVC, tried Disney Mobile (remember that?), miss Tables in Wonderland, and signed up for D+ for the three year initial membership. Guess we have pixie dust on our collective noses. Probably will give it a try if I dont have to sell the other kidney to do it.

Indy_UK

Like others have said, I think the biggest issue to an idea like this is actually brining it in company wide across all divisions and countries.

I would love a pass that gave me 10-20% off food/merch that also worked in Disneyland Paris as well as WDW, but TWDC aren’t willing to spend the money to actually make it work.

Phicinfan

I am going to have Disney+ anyway so if things brings some other discounts or benefits including at the park (access to member lounge, etc) then cool

Obviously the devil is in the details
Hasn't this been sort of shown already with the Disney + day for park perks that either just happened or is coming?
If you think about it, they are ready to be Amazon Prime with video and movie content in Disney +, and with shop Disney digital as well. Now add in some perks for ordering park passes earlier than others, or getting merch sent free and you will have folks falling over themselves to join this. Heck, I could live with it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is zero chance this is anything like Amazon prime or Costco or even Door Dash.
I see no way any large number of people save money here. Maybe someone who buys thousands at Disneystore.com? Disney+ is already a loss leader- they're not going to take a deeper bath, so you aren't saving there. Maybe you'll save 10% on D23 membership?

Honestly, I can't see this being anything other than a door to door Disney coupon book where one or two things sound appealing and the rest... doesn't.

But hey... you'll get the opportunity to take a member exclusive cruise on the galactic star cruiser.
I don’t know why anyone is suggesting “discount” at all.

It would most likely be a way to simply buy more/saturate…more than discounts or incentives.

Have we not watched what the bobs have done systematically for 15 years?
Hell…they don’t even bother to hide it anymore. They say the “quiet part outloud”…and that being if you question the cost, they don’t value you. Disney declared war on the middle class long ago.

1662036134404.jpeg

Maybe membership gets Genie included, among other benefits.

IDK. We are a family that have owned DVC, tried Disney Mobile (remember that?), miss Tables in Wonderland, and signed up for D+ for the three year initial membership. Guess we have pixie dust on our collective noses. Probably will give it a try if I dont have to sell the other kidney to do it.
I don’t like paying for G+ but the reality is that Disney doesn’t have the ride capacities to fulfill what they were able to sell. They need additional capacity, a higher fee, or both. I can’t see any subscription that includes it. It’s leaving money on the table because people would probably buy a subscription without G+ and then still buy G+.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hasn't this been sort of shown already with the Disney + day for park perks that either just happened or is coming?
If you think about it, they are ready to be Amazon Prime with video and movie content in Disney +, and with shop Disney digital as well. Now add in some perks for ordering park passes earlier than others, or getting merch sent free and you will have folks falling over themselves to join this. Heck, I could live with it.
Amazon sells more product than anyone else on earth now…

Can we stop for a second and realize that what Disney has is no where near as utilitarian?

What are you really buying from the Disney store that would require a monthly fee?

…let’s all move over into the right lane until our brains catch up.

Indy_UK

I don’t like paying for G+ but the reality is that Disney doesn’t have the ride capacities to fulfill what they were able to sell. They need additional capacity, a higher fee, or both. I can’t see any subscription that includes it. It’s leaving money on the table because people would probably buy a subscription without G+ and then still buy G+.

I think that once there’s a good money spinner in place, they aren’t going to start making it free.

I though that the $millions that Genie+ is bringing in that they would use that money to pump into the parks but alas, nope.

Phicinfan

Can we stop for a second and realize that what Disney has is no where near as utilitarian?

What are you really buying from the Disney store that would require a monthly fee?

So where did I say this gave the consumer an advantage?
I will add, Amazon Prime NOW is not what Amazon Prime WAS.
This has been coming once Disney got Disney + going. The key will be moving all Disney merch ONLY to this site, and no longer offering materials to Amazon at least for a period of time to drive memberships.

IF they can also throw in some park benefits - like earlier pass ordering or park reservations, or access to some Resort discounts that others can't get, it will succeed and do very well.

Just have to wait and see what it really is.

I also assume Disney could move movie releases from theaters to Disney + to the "Prime" members first, to give even more edge.

bhg469

I'm sure there is a hard core demographic that would get this but there cannot be enough to support this...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So where did I say this gave the consumer an advantage?
I will add, Amazon Prime NOW is not what Amazon Prime WAS.
This has been coming once Disney got Disney + going. The key will be moving all Disney merch ONLY to this site, and no longer offering materials to Amazon at least for a period of time to drive memberships.

IF they can also throw in some park benefits - like earlier pass ordering or park reservations, or access to some Resort discounts that others can't get, it will succeed and do very well.

Just have to wait and see what it really is.

I also assume Disney could move movie releases from theaters to Disney + to the "Prime" members first, to give even more edge.
You never said it gives consumers an advantage…

But upthread the “If it’s a discount…” chatter started…
…and there is ZERO indication that they’d even consider giving discounts in the slightest sense.

The customers aren’t acting as though they should receive one AT ALL.

Nothing people do these days makes any damn sense.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

You never said it gives consumers an advantage…

But upthread the “If it’s a discount…” chatter started…
…and there is ZERO indication that they’d even consider giving discounts in the slightest sense.

The customers are acting as though they should receive one AT ALL.

Nothing people do these days makes any damn sense.
Well for one we have no idea what it will or won't be, so no sin in guessing
Secondly, we already have Disney + day at park that had advantages others didn't get(granted limited), so model has started
Thirdly, Disney would draw huge if this was the only way out of parks or stores to get Disney merch.
Fourthly, If you get early viewings of recently released movies, win, win there.

Yes, to assume you will get some discount is strictly pie in the sky.
But you can easily see where Disney could do this, add benefits that would drive memberships and be a win for Disney(please NOTE who wins with this...)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well for one we have no idea what it will or won't be, so no sin in guessing
Secondly, we already have Disney + day at park that had advantages others didn't get(granted limited), so model has started
Thirdly, Disney would draw huge if this was the only way out of parks or stores to get Disney merch.
Fourthly, If you get early viewings of recently released movies, win, win there.

Yes, to assume you will get some discount is strictly pie in the sky.
But you can easily see where Disney could do this, add benefits that would drive memberships and be a win for Disney(please NOTE who wins with this...)
See…I think that’s what we’ve been trained to think a company like Disney will do…1980s/1990s mentality focused around growth.

But it’s in contradiction to their sales tactics for the last decade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom