News Disney Explores Amazon Prime-Like Membership Program to Offer Discounts and Perks

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am going to have Disney+ anyway so if things brings some other discounts or benefits including at the park (access to member lounge, etc) then cool

Obviously the devil is in the details
…like…a 10% discount on tickets? Maybe 10% off dining reservations before 5 or after 8?

Some sweet sugar like that?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If it's a premium club that gives access to more premium upsells: No.

If it's a discount club program that, after doing the calculus, saves me money on subscriptions and park tickets/food: Yes.

I and my company order enough from Amazon Prime, that 'belonging' saves money over all.​
A CostCo club membership saves money on stuff I was going to buy anyway.​
Even a Door Dash subscription saves money on the extra delivery fee for each order.​

Yes, it's the company locking me in to buying just from them... but it saves me money.

If Disney has such a program that saves me money... Okee dokey.

TheMaxRebo

…like…a 10% discount on tickets? Maybe 10% off dining reservations before 5 or after 8?

Some sweet sugar like that?

Probably somewhere in the middle ... A lounge, maybe discount on Genie+ or a bonus LL, photo op like they have for Chase visa card holders, things like that.

Maybe the occasional resort discount

Just some affinity benefits that reward people for supporting Disney across platforms/areas

mikejs78

Premium Member
Probably somewhere in the middle ... A lounge, maybe discount on Genie+ or a bonus LL, photo op like they have for Chase visa card holders, things like that.

Maybe the occasional resort discount

Just some affinity benefits that reward people for supporting Disney across platforms/areas
Gotta be a lot more than that to sell....

andysol

Wow. Didn't expect this one to leak so soon.

This has been public since February, people just didn't bother to connect the dots.

Pretty big 180 from you over 3hrs 😂

If it's a premium club that gives access to more premium upsells: No.

If it's a discount club program that, after doing the calculus, saves me money on subscriptions and park tickets/food: Yes.

I and my company order enough from Amazon Prime, that 'belonging' saves money over all.​
A CostCo club membership saves money on stuff I was going to buy anyway.​
Even a Door Dash subscription saves money on the extra delivery fee for each order.​

Yes, it's the company locking me in to buying just from them... but it saves me money.

If Disney has such a program that saves me money... Okee dokey.
There is zero chance this is anything like Amazon prime or Costco or even Door Dash.
I see no way any large number of people save money here. Maybe someone who buys thousands at Disneystore.com? Disney+ is already a loss leader- they're not going to take a deeper bath, so you aren't saving there. Maybe you'll save 10% on D23 membership?

Honestly, I can't see this being anything other than a door to door Disney coupon book where one or two things sound appealing and the rest... doesn't.

But hey... you'll get the opportunity to take a member exclusive cruise on the galactic star cruiser.

Last edited:

csmat99

They want rid of it…the tea leaves are clear

Whether they can do it/hold it? Another question entirely.
I don't see them getting rid of AP for people that have it and renew but they will keep raising prices and not sell new the numbers will keep dropping every year. I mean they already can control all AP holders now with park reservation system.

montyz81

Interesting. Perhaps free bus transportation and the ability to walk on to rides for free could be offered...... More money grabbing by Bob Cheapek. Looks good for the shareholders, but ultimately, it will cost more for his customers and potentially exclude those making less money.

FerretAfros

Setting aside whether this concept holds any interest for you (the above-average consumer) or whether you can find "value" in the service that it offers, does anybody think that it's actually going to function correctly?

Disney's customer-facing tech systems have been notoriously bad since before the Go.com days. It's been a decade since MyMagic+ launched in WDW, and somehow I still have to go to guest services or the hotel front desk multiple times on each and every trip to get seemingly-simple issues sorted out. It's been about 14 years since the OneDisney initiative was supposed to consolidate operations and back-of-house functionality across the Disney-owned theme parks, yet they had to quietly cancel the bi-coastal Premier AP because they just couldn't quite ever figure out how to get the WDW and DLR ticketing systems to cooperate with one another.

And those issues are all within relatively closely-related parts of a single division of the behemoth corporation. When you start trying to fold in disparate elements from Parks, Experiences & Products with Direct-to-Consumer, with General Entertainment, suddenly it gets even messier.

Are there ways that it could work? Sure, but it would require a massive company-wide overhaul of its tech systems, even bigger than the once-in-a-generation MyMagic+ project. Will that happen? No, no it will not.

If this membership program actually happens, I fully expect it to be quietly retired after a couple years, when they realize that the little customer interest in it doesn't justify the expense of linking all the disparate divisions together.

Especially since the launch of Disney+, TWDC likes to imagine itself as a tech company, and the investors seem happy to go along with the charade by inflating the stock price accordingly. This is yet another example of Chapek dropping buzzwords and chasing bigger trends, rather than blazing his own trail. Nothing about this is truly visionary, and it seems to reveal a fundamental misunderstanding of the company's product and why, when, and how people consume it.

To the consumer, it's clear that the emperor has no clothes and is just imitating the (incorrectly identified) "competition." Whether the business community will see through the stunt remains to be seen.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Knee-jerk reactionary perhaps but it looks like the market didn't take the news well. Stock's down to 111 after hours. It's not double digits though. (Yet)

Last edited:

dmw

In the Parks
No
if the discounts available for a specific trip are greater than the cost of a one-month subscription, I would probably sign up for one month, get the discounts and then cancel. Same as I do with Amazon Prime (although I usually get the free month trial and then cancel).

We don't go to a lot of movies, we don't have a D+ subscription, we don't buy any Disney merch other than souvenirs while on vacation, so paying for a continuing subscription would not make financial sense for us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom