News Disney Explores Amazon Prime-Like Membership Program to Offer Discounts and Perks

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The apex of their strategy over the past decade....
1662038044210.jpeg

TheMaxRebo

Gotta be a lot more than that to sell....

Guess I am not seeing this as some big huge thing - just some affinity benefits they add in to help make the cost increase for D+ more palatable

If it goes the other way, where it is more costly and D+ is just one small part of it, then it feels more like a Passholder plan

Rickcat96

Exactly. I'm chuckling at all the people saying they're definitely getting or not getting this, when we have no idea what it'll include or how much it'll cost.
Well-here is my take:

Was very excited on D+ launch- now not to impressed with it.

Nothing Disney does now is to strengthen the brand for its consumer's-it's very obvious the company's focus is short term cash grabs. Having said that, it's a no brainer to pass on it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Guess I am not seeing this as some big huge thing - just some affinity benefits they add in to help make the cost increase for D+ more palatable

If it goes the other way, where it is more costly and D+ is just one small part of it, then it feels more like a Passholder plan
I’m with you…this is a useless subscription idea on the surface…

UNLESS they make it some kind of “park membership” that replaces APs by some type of small discount bundling?

“They wouldn’t do that!!…”

…oh but they would want to. Oh yeah.

drizgirl

The WSJ has updated the article with more information-

“A membership program could help Disney learn more about its customers’ behavior by collecting data about which shows they watched, trips they took and merchandise they purchased. Ultimately, Disney’s goal is to harness that data to make recommendations based on customers’ preferences, some of the people said.

For example, a fan of Star Wars rides at its theme park would get recommended related programming on Disney+. That cross-company effort, which is ongoing, involves top leaders including Mike White, who leads Disney’s metaverse strategy.

In exploring the membership program, Disney has studied Amazon’s program as well as Apple One, which bundles cloud storage, AppleTV+ and Apple Arcade, among other services, for a starting price of $14.95 a month, some of the people familiar with the discussions said.

Disney has discussed adding perks to the membership program from third parties, such as discounts to tickets for Disney shows on Broadway, said one of the people familiar with the discussions.”
So Disney wants us to pay them for collecting our data?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
10 years ago, I’d have been interested, no matter what the program is. Those days are long gone.

Maybe membership gets Genie included, among other benefits.

IDK. We are a family that have owned DVC, tried Disney Mobile (remember that?), miss Tables in Wonderland, and signed up for D+ for the three year initial membership. Guess we have pixie dust on our collective noses. Probably will give it a try if I dont have to sell the other kidney to do it.

As it so happens, there is a new program being rolled out at the same time for just this scenario - Disney Donation+! You donate an organ to someone in need, and you get a year of whatever new membership program is being rolled out. YOU ARE THE MAGIC!!!

CaptainAmerica

So Disney wants us to pay them for collecting our data?
I love it when companies have my data. Without me asking, my phone tells me when there's an accident on my commute and I should take another route to save 20 minutes. BJ's sends me coupons for diapers when they know I'm running low. My TV suggests shows I might like based on shows it already knows I do like. My TV also knows not to show me mature content before 9pm because there are kids in my house. When I return from international travel, I get to skip the line at passport control because USCBP has my biometrics and they know I'm not a threat to national security. My thermostat adjusts itself to keep me comfortable year-round without me ever needing to touch it.

Location services? Enable. Cookies? Allow all. Ad preferences? Customize.

Hell yeah, track me harder daddy.

GimpYancIent

I’m with you…this is a useless subscription idea on the surface…

UNLESS they make it some kind of “park membership” that replaces APs by some type of small discount bundling?

“They wouldn’t do that!!…”

…oh but they would want to. Oh yeah.
"(Bloomberg) -- Walt Disney Co. is considering offering a broader membership plan, which could offer discounts, special experiences and other perks to its legions of super fans."

The propaganda continues.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I love it when companies have my data. Without me asking, my phone tells me when there's an accident on my commute and I should take another route to save 20 minutes. BJ's sends me coupons for diapers when they know I'm running low. My TV suggests shows I might like based on shows it already knows I do like. My TV also knows not to show me mature content before 9pm because there are kids in my house. When I return from international travel, I get to skip the line at passport control because USCBP has my biometrics and they know I'm not a threat to national security. My thermostat adjusts itself to keep me comfortable year-round without me ever needing to touch it.

Location services? Enable. Cookies? Allow all. Ad preferences? Customize.

Hell yeah, track me harder daddy.

100% agree. As a technology professional, I think the whole privacy/cookies/tracking thing is completely overblown. No human ever sees your data, and the benefits users derrive from it, in my opinion, make it worth it. Even Apple, who claims that they are the privacy company, track you far more than you think, because they have to to make their services work.

I think if people could see an Internet with no cookies for anyone and no location tracking, etc., they'd be surprised how much of the things we use and take for granted just wouldn't work without it. Even if you personally disable it, you still benefit from the millions who don't. And so I'm in the same camp - as long as I know the company - cookies on, location services on, etc.

GimpYancIent

100% agree. As a technology professional, I think the whole privacy/cookies/tracking thing is completely overblown. No human ever sees your data, and the benefits users derrive from it, in my opinion, make it worth it. Even Apple, who claims that they are the privacy company, track you far more than you think, because they have to to make their services work.

I think if people could see an Internet with no cookies for anyone and no location tracking, etc., they'd be surprised how much of the things we use and take for granted just wouldn't work without it. Even if you personally disable it, you still benefit from the millions who don't. And so I'm in the same camp - as long as I know the company - cookies on, location services on, etc.
1662042444032.png

Yeah, quite the visual.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Well…we know that Amazon and Facebook - in particular - had really made the world a better place with data mining 😐

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom