Disney dumping McDonald's...great decision

tednvon

Original Poster
Just heard this AM that Disney is dropping partnership with McDonald's. I could not think of a wiser corportate move to keep the image of kid friendly. McDonald's and their ilk are almost singlehandedly responsible for the epidemic of childhood obesity and many of the early heart problems we are seeing in adults...harsh, I know, but hard to refute!!

Thank God, we won't have to see Mickey ever eating a Big Mac!!

Ted

AndyP

tednvon said:
Just heard this AM that Disney is dropping partnership with McDonald's. I could not think of a wiser corportate move to keep the image of kid friendly. McDonald's and their ilk are almost singlehandedly responsible for the epidemic of childhood obesity and many of the early heart problems we are seeing in adults...harsh, I know, but hard to refute!!

Thank God, we won't have to see Mickey ever eating a Big Mac!!

Ted

You can't blame McDonalds for obeisity for being successful, it's the people buying the burgers that are at fault (if not part of a well balanced diet).

kcnole

McDonalds is no more responsible for childhood obesity than schools cutting PE, parents not feeding correctly, television, video games, computers, etc... It's a parents responsiblity to tell their kid no to fatty foods, not the company who supplies it.

Rosso11

Actually its McDonalds who dumped Disney. Don't think Disney is some hero trying to save Children from getting fat. Mcdonalds got stuck with so many unsold Disney happy meals over the years.

lewisc

Michael72688 said:
How about we all take responsibility for what we eat. Not their fault, YOURS!

Responsibility can be shared.

It wasn't that many years ago that McDonalds was promoting their fish sandwiches and chicken sandwiches as a healthy alternative, even though they were fried with animal fat and nutritionally were about the same as burgers.

Employees are trained, and the pricing makes it easy, to up sell customers into supersizing their meals. Promotion and advertising implies that the customer is getting a good meal but that's not nutritionally correct. One of the fast food chains lists their nutritional information per item; they list the bun, burger, pickle etc all separately so the total impact of the nutritional value, or lack there of, of the meal isn't apparent.

Responsibility has to be shared.

hokielutz

You know... there is one sure fire way to make sure kids get the proper outdoor exercise they need to stay healthy - and they will be entertained at the same time...

Pack some clothes, a few bottles of water and force everyone to go to Disney World more often!!
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

bhg469

hokielutz said:
You know... there is one sure fire way to make sure kids get the proper outdoor exercise they need to stay healthy - and they will be entertained at the same time...

Pack some clothes, a few bottles of water and force everyone to go to Disney World more often!!
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

AMEN! I wish mcdonalds stands would be removed from the park though. With all the amazing food you can only get in WDW how do people still want french fries?

DisneyJill

lewisc said:

It wasn't that many years ago that McDonalds was promoting their fish sandwiches and chicken sandwiches as a healthy alternative, even though they were fried with animal fat and nutritionally were about the same as burgers.

Employees are trained, and the pricing makes it easy, to up sell customers into supersizing their meals. Promotion and advertising implies that the customer is getting a good meal but that's not nutritionally correct. One of the fast food chains lists their nutritional information per item; they list the bun, burger, pickle etc all separately so the total impact of the nutritional value, or lack there of, of the meal isn't apparent.

Right. But it also needs to be shared by the people who put the food in their mouths. Nutrition info is public-no one to blame but yourself if you choose to partake in this kind of food, especially with the fruit and vegetable alternatives that are available at the fast food places now.

jmvd20

lewisc said:

No it should not be shared in this case. we live in a society where no one is ever at fault. Everyone is always looking for someone esle to blame which is not the proper way to look at things. The fact of the matter is that we live in a free country. We are not forced to eat any kind of food period. We CHOOSE to eat what we eat. Therefore it is our responsibility and NO ONE else's for what we put in our mouths.

Who cares if they dump 1 gallon of animal fat into their salads, it is still a salad and they should have the freedom to make whatever the heck they want. If people eat it and get fat, guess what, the people's fault not McDonalds. I don't care what their commercials or advertising campaigns say, we are still not forced to buy or eat anything simply because of an advertising campaign. The bottom line is simple, it is our choice. How about we start taking responsibility for our own actions and not blame others for the stupid choices and decisions we make.

Rosso11

jmvd20 said:
No it should not be shared in this case. we live in a society where no one is ever at fault. Everyone is always looking for someone esle to blame which is not the proper way to look at things. The fact of the matter is that we live in a free country. We are not forced to eat any kind of food period. We CHOOSE to eat what we eat. Therefore it is our responsibility and NO ONE else's for what we put in our mouths.

Who cares if they dump 1 gallon of animal fat into their salads, it is still a salad and they should have the freedom to make whatever the heck they want. If people eat it and get fat, guess what, the people's fault not McDonalds. I don't care what their commercials or advertising campaigns say, we are still not forced to buy or eat anything simply because of an advertising campaign. The bottom line is simple, it is our choice. How about we start taking responsibility for our own actions and not blame others for the stupid choices and decisions we make.

Wow I couldn't have said it better myself. How can people blame anyone else but themselves for being fat? Thats just amazing.

his_girl96

bhg469 said:
AMEN! I wish mcdonalds stands would be removed from the park though. With all the amazing food you can only get in WDW how do people still want french fries?

I totally agree!! I really can't believe it during the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot. Here's a chance to sample food from around the world. Yet, there is a line at the McDonald's Fry Hut. A LINE!!

mhead

his_girl96 said:
I totally agree!! I really can't believe it during the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot. Here's a chance to sample food from around the world. Yet, there is a line at the McDonald's Fry Hut. A LINE!!

Yeah but I can ALWAYS eat me some McDonald's French Fries !!!!

Captain Chaos

I was over weight. I blamed no one BUT myself. I ate the foods we were always told not to.. So, can I fault McD's? Nope.. But, in today's world, everyone wants to blame everyone else and never take responsibility for their own actions... You know McD's is unhealthy, so you eat it at your own risk. Personally, I havent had McD's in years.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
mhead said:
Yeah but I can ALWAYS eat me some McDonald's French Fries !!!!

You would be suprised of all the stuff that is in those fries that can kill you. Trans fat, MSG, tons of sodium. I just started eating healthier myself so you get temptations from eating all that MSG. But I feel alot healthier from just a week of eating healthier food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom