News 'Disney Dreams That Soar' Drone show coming to Walt Disney World this summer

EricsBiscuit

Strange. At IAAPA, the drone demonstration took place during high winds and heavy rain. They should have planned better.

As for the show, it was neat. The Star Wars portion being the highlight. It has surprisingly restricted viewing angles. I wonder if they’ll have 2 drone shows go off simultaneously in the future to accommodate all the guests better. Or, if their plan is just to increase foot traffic to the west end. And, wow, increase foot traffic it did. Massive crowds tonight! Although, I anecdotally saw few shopping bags. Hopefully the tenants do well from this. However, I have a feeling that the type of crowd this offering will bring to DS is not a big spending one. Also, they need to add security to the Grapefruit parking garage! How could they do it for Lime and Orange but not that one? Weird.

Squishy

Strange. At IAAPA, the drone demonstration took place during high winds and heavy rain. They should have planned better.

As for the show, it was neat. The Star Wars portion being the highlight. It has surprisingly restricted viewing angles. I wonder if they’ll have 2 drone shows go off simultaneously in the future to accommodate all the guests better. Or, if their plan is just to increase foot traffic to the west end. And, wow, increase foot traffic it did. Massive crowds tonight! Although, I anecdotally saw few shopping bags. Hopefully the tenants do well from this. However, I have a feeling that the type of crowd this offering will bring to DS is not a big spending one. Also, they need to add security to the Grapefruit parking garage! How could they do it for Lime and Orange but not that one? Weird.
I'm sure they don't want to risk it considering if a few fall into the water it will be a total loss. Also unlike IAAPA they need the drones twice nightly so who knows how big there backup stockpile is and how fast they can get new ones shipped in.

eddie104

I'm sure they don't want to risk it considering if a few fall into the water it will be a total loss. Also unlike IAAPA they need the drones twice nightly so who knows how big there backup stockpile is and how fast they can get new ones shipped in.
Yep guest safety should take precedence over everything. It sucks that the show was cancelled but they made the right choice.

DisneyFanatic12

They should add a system similar to the other garages, since Grapefruit will be filling up for the foreseeable future, but they do have security. There’s a trained K-9 unit, which is the same “system” as the bus stop I believe.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Quick question, was there anything stopping them from putting main line marvel stuff in this show? I believe the Universal deal only applies to theme parks and Disney Spring *checks notes* is not a theme park. Not saying I wanted any main marvel stuff but was anything stopping them here?

doctornick

Quick question, was there anything stopping them from putting main line marvel stuff in this show? I believe the Universal deal only applies to theme parks and Disney Spring *checks notes* is not a theme park. Not saying I wanted any main marvel stuff but was anything stopping them here?

It's a great question and I think you are likely correct. I've often wondered if they could put a Marvel M&G of otherwise unusable characters at DS as well for that reason.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We don't know the re-negotiated contract that Disney has with Comcast that made more specific the laughably ambiguous language of the first contract.

Disney has had a Marvel store at DS, and Marvel wraps on the MK loop of the monorail. What more they can do or not do, we don't know. Perhaps they don't know until Comcast challenges them on it.

The original contract shouldn't have kept them from a DS drone show featuring the forbidden Marvel characters according to the original contract which was only about theme park attractions. Maybe Disney didn't want to advertise Marvel characters that guests can only see at Uni.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
We don't know the re-negotiated contract that Disney has with Comcast that made more specific the laughably ambiguous language of the first contract.

Disney has had a Marvel store at DS, and Marvel wraps on the MK loop of the monorail. What more they can do or not do, we don't know. Perhaps they don't know until Comcast challenges them on it.

The original contract shouldn't have kept them from a DS drone show featuring the forbidden Marvel characters according to the original contract which was only about theme park attractions. Maybe Disney didn't want to advertise Marvel characters that guests can only see at Uni.
This may be off topic, but you got me thinking about the rights and the monorail. I read somewhere (can’t remember where, will update if I can find it) that there was a point where the monorail with the marvel wrap had to be restricted to the Resort and Express loop, because that wasn’t technically within a park, but that it couldn’t go on the EPCOT loop since it technically went through a park, which would be in violation of the MCA agreement. If that is the case, I would assume that the rules for non-park areas would apply to Disney Springs, and so Marvel would be allowed, and it was just a cool effect with the drones and Guardians that just seemed to fit with the designers of the show.

Squishy

1 drone down, 799 to go.

1716867763753.png

doctornick

Thinking about it, since you can conceivable kinda see a little of the drone show from inside Epcot, perhaps they didn't want to have that used against them as being something "in" a theme park.

Is there any reason to believe this is a test run of sorts for a new potential ANIMAL KINGDOM night time drone show? I would love to be able to experience this park in the late hours once again.

ToTBellHop

Is there any reason to believe this is a test run of sorts for a new potential ANIMAL KINGDOM night time drone show? I would love to be able to experience this park in the late hours once again.
One problem for DAK is the RoL viewing area has two seating areas at dramatically different viewing angles. As we see in this show, drones work best from a single viewing angle unless you repeatedly spin everything.

ToTBellHop

Why can't they do the drones here: View attachment 787994
It didn't seem like a problem for the water screen for ROL.
Those far left 3 sections don’t face that way. Are you suppose to crane your neck to watch the show? And do they make the perfect viewing angle face the one area of the viewing area without seats?

The amphitheater was not designed for a show with a single, optimal viewing angle. This would make drone usage at Epcot hard, too. It would work best over the Castle or Chinese Theatre.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Those far left 3 sections don’t face that way. Are you suppose to crane your neck to watch the show? And do they make the perfect viewing angle face the one area of the viewing area without seats?

The amphitheater was not designed for a show with a single, optimal viewing angle. This would make drone usage at Epcot hard, too. It would work best over the Castle or Chinese Theatre.
Wasn't it the same with the water screen?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom