Disney Dollars going away?

DisneyNutZ

Original Poster
I went into my local Disney Store tonight to start buying Disney Dollars for our trip in December only to be told by the CM that they received an email last week that "they were going green" and only going to have gift cards now? I haven't seen that posted anywhere and was wondering if anyone else heard about this.

Thank you!

IDreamOfDisney

I went into my local Disney Store tonight to start buying Disney Dollars for our trip in December only to be told by the CM that they received an email last week that "they were going green" and only going to have gift cards now? I haven't seen that posted anywhere and was wondering if anyone else heard about this.

Thank you!

Going green? Aren't gift cards made of plastic? :shrug:

JohnWeckwerth

Are you sure that Disney Store isn't on the chopping block? A Disney Store by me told me last spring that they weren't getting anymore Disney Dollars, Two weeks later a store closing sign went up.I hope they dont get rid of them. It has always been a great way of getting the kids to save up for WDW. Now what? Give out gift cards for doing chores? Teens may like it better but the little ones wont.

AutumnKlassic

Can you use the Disney Gift Card in the parks for purchases? I was going to ask for gift cards instead of Disney Dollars for christmas so I can use the remaining balance online.

disneypearl

I love getting Disney Dollars to save up for my trip when I go to the Disney Store. It's nice to have money that HAS to be saved for my WDW trips. I hope they will still sell them.

Tinkerbella16

My disney store didn't have them for months and I got a little worried because I always buy $150 before every trip to put towards my spending money. About a month or so ago, they got a whole bunch in FINALLY! They have a different look to them now...no more diff characters, its Mickeys from throughout the years. I would be so upset if they did away with Disney Dollars...its the easiest way for me to save up trip money!

I'm not liking the recent decisions made by disney lately...so something is telling me not to be too surprised if they stopped with Disney Dollars.

Captain Hank

I guess the "green" part is that the cards are reusable. However, wouldn't the paper Disney dollars be reusable though?
Disney Dollars are not put back into circulation after they've been used to make a purchase, at least according to the current guidelines. In fact, when I worked at The Disney Store, the standard proceedure after receiving a Disney Dollar was to punch a hole in the upper-left corner to "cancel" the DD.

disney9752

Disney Dollars are not put back into circulation after they've been used to make a purchase, at least according to the current guidelines. In fact, when I worked at The Disney Store, the standard proceedure after receiving a Disney Dollar was to punch a hole in the upper-left corner to "cancel" the DD.
disney stores dont re use the disney dollars but the parks do. i have seen "new packs" from cash control get opened & have several different years of the same value, $1, $5 etc, from various years.

hemloc

Why would anyone want a Disney Dollar anyways?? I mean, if you don't use them, they are useless(No refunds, folks!)?? Why not just spend REAL money and be happy with that:shrug:??

RogueHabit

Why would anyone want a Disney Dollar anyways?? I mean, if you don't use them, they are useless(No refunds, folks!)?? Why not just spend REAL money and be happy with that:shrug:??
Many parents use them as rewards for their kids prior to their trip.

If you give a kid a dollar, they can run down the road and spend it at the nearest candy store. Give them a Disney Dollar and it teaches them to save for their vacation to WDW...

I'm thinking you're not a parent? :animwink:

uklad79

I don't se ethem ever scraping them as a percentage of them are never spent as people collect them, meaning Disney makes a profit just on selling them.

WildLodgeFan

Can you use the Disney Gift Card in the parks for purchases? I was going to ask for gift cards instead of Disney Dollars for christmas so I can use the remaining balance online.

Yes you can use them in the park. I bought one for each of my kids yesterday for their soveniur money for our trip next week at the store where I double checked before purchasing. I like the novelty of the dollars, but I like the gift cards as well, makes it easier for them to carry around and if they don't use it all there, then they can use it at the store or even reload it in the future.

WDFAN1977

I think DD's are just one of the many things that make WDW and the other parks special(if the other parks except them:shrug:). I hope they don't do away with DD either. I used them at WDW for my first trip as a kid and I hope that my children will be able to do the same.

On a side note, back in 2000 I was at the parks using DD and was asked by two cast members, where I received the DD because they had never seen them before. I asked them how long they had been working for WDW and they said over a year. A year, and you had never seen or heard of DD being a CC:shrug:.

kcw

I think DD's are just one of the many things that make WDW and the other parks special(if the other parks except them:shrug:). I hope they don't do away with DD either. I used them at WDW for my first trip as a kid and I hope that my children will be able to do the same.

On a side note, back in 2000 I was at the parks using DD and was asked by two cast members, where I received the DD because they had never seen them before. I asked them how long they had been working for WDW and they said over a year. A year, and you had never seen or heard of DD being a CC:shrug:.

Honestly I've never seen them before either and I'm a CM- the only way I knew what they were was from reading about them here on the boards. Granted, I don't work in a department that would ever have to deal with DD's, so it's not that big of a deal. I'm guessing that those in merchandise and foods learn about them in their training, but others do not.

I just picked up a bunch of DD for my neices birthdays. They save them for vacation and it makes them feel special because it's DISNEY money. It adds to the excitement of going on a vacation and knowing that they have their OWN money to spend however they like.

burninup4nick

It would be really sad if Disney Dollars went away....I used Disney Dollars when I was little and it was so much fun to see my favorite characters on my money....of course then when we got home I wanted to know why money didnt have them on it...but it was a lot of fun for me and really magical. I loved them and I hope they dont take it away because its a good experience for kids (of all ages) lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom