Disney Dollars going away?

Yeah, thanks for reminding me guys, I bought all the princess ones last year, and got 2 sets of maps to do a anniversary present for my wife for our 1st anniversary, (Since I proposed at CRT Feb 14, 2007) and I had forgotten all about them. I need to find them again and get cracking on that project before time runs out. :eek::lookaroun:shrug:. They are an awesome thing to get and frame. When I took them to a frame store to get a quote the lady helping me called all the others over to look at them and to tell them how sweet I was to do this for my wife LOL. I LOVE DISNEY.... AND MY WIFE.:ROFLOL:

slappy magoo

Although we haven't done it this year (not yet anyway), the past few trips my wife and I planned, we'd go to the Disney Store at our local mall each week and buy some Disney dollars. Mentally, it was comparable to people starting a Christmas Club account. Sure, we would've been better off putting it in our regular account, draw some interest, maybe even put it in a CD or something 9 months before the trip. But because it was just 10-20 dollars a week, in dribs and drabs, it never felt like much of a pinch. But when trip time came, it was like all this found money, and we had to use precious little "real" money during the trip.

JrBernal83

I went to the Disney Store on September 9th and picked up this Disney dollar....
dd1.jpg

lilcrazyone6911

(For those who print this....you wont beable to redeem it....it has holograms)

Also, the CM that sold it to me said they JUST received new ones...Maybe they aren't going away...

pidge9101

I too was at my local Disney Store tonight asking for Disney Dollars for my upcoming trip and was told the exact same thing. The CM told me that they are no longer selling them because it's Disney's way of "going green". She said that I could purchase a gift card, although they were out of those too. She said she had no idea if I would be able to purchase them in the park. I will really be upset if they do away with the DD. It's a tradition of ours to purchase some for our trips.

ToTBellHop

I gather sales of Disney Dollars are not very high if there are CMs who never see them. It's just easier for Disney to make the gift cards and there is no risk of counterfeiting (which I gather is why they don't reuse Disney Dollars). It's sad because it's one of those special things that kids, especially, appreciate, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Disney Dollars leave.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I gather sales of Disney Dollars are not very high if there are CMs who never see them. It's just easier for Disney to make the gift cards and there is no risk of counterfeiting (which I gather is why they don't reuse Disney Dollars). It's sad because it's one of those special things that kids, especially, appreciate, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Disney Dollars leave.

I agree completely, but you know what, everybody today especially the younger ones use the plastic and like using it. Everyone uses the gift cards, disposable ATM cards. It was probably a net loss for Disney to continue to print their currency, therefore they stopped.

On a more serious note, now that the Disney dollar is being phased out, how will we solve the current financial crisis. What form of currency will we use to bail out the banks....?:rolleyes:

Captain Hank

Well, I've definitely had guests pay for things with Disney Dollars, both at the parks and at the Disney Store. It's not tremendously common, but it certainly does happen. I've seen gift cards far more frequently, though.

ToTBellHop

we've definitely become a very plastic-friendly culture. Especially due to debit cards, I probably pay with cash for less than 10% of my purchases. Might as well acclimate kids to the real world. At least their first "credit card" will have Mickey Mouse on it.

askmike1

Why would anyone want a Disney Dollar anyways?? I mean, if you don't use them, they are useless(No refunds, folks!)?? Why not just spend REAL money and be happy with that:shrug:??
Umm... that's not true at all. At least in the parks, they Disney Dollars are completely transferable to real money. Just bring your DDs into City Hall and you can exchange them for regular money. Just like when you use your DDs in the parks, you can get your change back in real money or DDs (if they have).

Figment25

I really hope they don't get rid of disney dollars, my family loves giving them for presents for birthdays and christmas, and I love receiving them cause I know I have to save them for WDW

Wendy517

I too was at my local Disney Store tonight asking for Disney Dollars for my upcoming trip and was told the exact same thing. The CM told me that they are no longer selling them because it's Disney's way of "going green". She said that I could purchase a gift card, although they were out of those too. She said she had no idea if I would be able to purchase them in the park. I will really be upset if they do away with the DD. It's a tradition of ours to purchase some for our trips.

The Disney Gift cards are readily available at just about every cash register in WDW, including at the resorts.

And here's and idea...even if Disney eliminates DDs (which I hope they don't), you could make your own, then buy a gift card or for that amount. If you add dollars to the gift card, just make the same number of 'DDs'. Give them to the kids so they think they have the money, and when it comes time to make a purchase, you take the 'DDs' and present the gift card to the cashier. Well, it would work with the younger ones anyway, I think... and just give the gift card to tweens and teens (believe me, they know how to use them!) :animwink:

pajammies

Not saying anybody is right or wrong here just wanted to mention I just called the Disney Outlet Store by me (in Gurnee, IL) and they have the Disney Dollars. I wanted to get them for my daughter for our January trip so I thought I'd check.

JimboJones123

If anybody else is like me, they have "purchased" plenty of Disney Dollars. On the flip side, we never remember to bring them with us. So we have never "spent" Disney Dollars. They can be found in random drawers and hinding places throughout our house. I'm sure we have at least 20-30 different bills around somewhere. We'll get a really nice meal out of it sometime.

Dwarful

We always buy DD for our trips. I am not a big fan of plastic. Yeah, I know I am old fashioned. It's really funny when we go shopping. If the girls have gift cards they don't hesitate to spend them. If they have cash, well, they really think about those purchases because they might want to spend that cash somewhere else.

disney stores dont re use the disney dollars but the parks do. i have seen "new packs" from cash control get opened & have several different years of the same value, $1, $5 etc, from various years.
Disney Dollars are never put back into circulation once they've been purchased and spent by a guest. That's why when someone spends a Disney Dollar they get their change back in regular cash. Disney doesn't want to hand out a crumpled or wrinkled Disney Dollar, anytime a guest is given a Disney Dollar it's a brand new one. It may be one from a previous year but it's never one that's already been used by another guest. At least that was the policy when I was trained for cash handeling procedures which was a couple of years ago and now I no longer work in a department that handles cash.

Crazy4WDW1

I was mistaken. You could order them by mail, but I don't think you can order them any longer.

I did call our local Disney Store and they are presently out of Disney Dollars, but expect more in next week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom