Disney doesn't allow guns at work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOT.nut

No, I'm not interested in the phone number for that group. It's just another example of people thinking with their emotions and not with their brains.

I grew up in a conservative religious environment and I have spent all my life hearing similar demagogary against alcoholic beverages. Even though the Bible says nothing against the consumption of alcohol (only against overindulgence), for my entire life, I have had to listen to people in church talking about how evil alcohol is because of those idiots that choose to abuse it and get themselves and others killed and spout as god inspired doctrine that no one who is an obedient Christian should touch alcohol.

Both groups are making the same idiotic mistake...their not using their brains to think the issue through, but only reacting out of emotion. Because the actions of a few irresponsible people, they demonize the object (be it guns or alcohol) and try to take it away from everyone.

Foolish nonsense.

:sohappy: You rock (today) ! :lol:

this has gone on too long and has gotten out of control

all those who agree, please send a message to the original poster of the thread to remove it

please also send a message to the webmaster of this site, check the contact link in the top right

discussions such as this have no place on this website

QUIT reading this thread if it offends you! :ROFLOL:Go read a book, or watch TV, or plan your next Disney vacation! No one is forcing you to read this thread! You have the *freedom* to choose what you read! Use it!

PhotoDave219

I just really like my firearms. I love to shoot - it's challenging and fun - and I'd hate for that to ever be taken away from me. When I was a kid, a typical Saturday was to go down in the morning to my Uncle's gun shop, grab a soda, and listen to the grown-ups talk. I was raised that way here in the South, learning to shoot and have respect for firearms, and plinking, laughing, and enjoying the great outdoors. :)

I can understand that and i can respect that. I'm not suggesting by any notion that the government should take anyone's guns away (beyond convicted felons), I just think that the government has gone too far in trying to make this into the wild, wild west again.

I dont feel that there is any need for a gun to be locked in a car at a theme park, let alone any work place. (Airplane cockpit anyone? I've talked with pilots - they just lock the door and don't open it)
You're going to see cars broken into even more. I know for a fact that cops, tactical officer's cars are targeted by criminals for the easy gun. How much easier does this make it for someone to steal a gun, by getting it out of their house and into their car. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I don't think that anyone has respect for firearms anymore. Certainly not the criminals, but not the politicians who seem hellbent on making it so that everyone short of my cat and dog can have a gun and the gun manufacturers. They have to take a certain responsibility for the marketing of their product and have to start explaining how their products get on the streets and reach criminals so easily.

Its silly, silly laws like this one that gives responsible gun owners a bad rap, because if you have a CCP, you're already covered.

As for shooting, I'm better than some cops in the northern suburbs of Orlando. I went out when they re-qualified and i was offered to shoot and i took them up on it. I'm bad with a handgun but I'm better with the AR-15 then all but the instructor that day. Must be all that time spend in a 300mm lens holding still....

Montyboy

I, for one, am happy that we have members willing to take the authority to close threads that have gotten out of hand and gone on too long. If the “guns on property” thread stays open any longer, my mind will be polluted with other peoples thought and ideas. There will be no possible way I could stop reading.
Being an adult has made me weary - thank you… thank you for stepping in.

Sorry for the double post.

PhotoDave219

I, for one, am happy that we have members willing to take the authority to close threads that have gotten out of hand and gone on too long. If the “guns on property” thread stays open any longer, my mind will be polluted with other peoples thought and ideas. There will be no possible way I could stop reading.
Being an adult has made me weary - thank you… thank you for stepping in.

... So youre saying its a lot like watching Brett Myers pitch then. Cringe enducing.

EPCOT.nut

I can understand that and i can respect that. I'm not suggesting by any notion that the government should take anyone's guns away (beyond convicted felons), I just think that the government has gone too far in trying to make this into the wild, wild west again.

As for shooting, I'm better than some cops in the northern suburbs of Orlando. I went out when they re-qualified and i was offered to shoot and i took them up on it. I'm bad with a handgun but I'm better with the AR-15 then all but the instructor that day. Must be all that time spend in a 300mm lens holding still....

HEY!

1) Did you know in the Wild West carrying guns around the street was prohibited in most towns? There's a show on TV called Wild West Tech - you should watch it - it's really fascinating and dispels some common myths.

2) NOW you are speaking my language! I'm a really good shot at archery with a recurve, but really only good a close range with my personal protection piece. It's a S&W .38 revolver and it's an airweight which is really light alloy. For that reason it is really hard to target shoot - it's not made for that anyhoo. I do have a Colt Python revolver and the difference in how it shoots, and how well I shoot with it, is just amazing. Part of it is the mass of the gun, and the other part is that it is hand-made and the quality of workmanship is really high. Too bad they don't make them anymore but they cost a lot to make - they are perfect right from the factory.

And I do have some agreements with you - I just really like to talk firearms but don't like to debate them. Just like you, the only thing I think about shooting in WDW is my camera. And I'd be a lot better served discussing camera tactics with you anyhow. :lol:

EpcotServo

I just really like my firearms. I love to shoot - it's challenging and fun - and I'd hate for that to ever be taken away from me. When I was a kid, a typical Saturday was to go down in the morning to my Uncle's gun shop, grab a soda, and listen to the grown-ups talk. I was raised that way here in the South, learning to shoot and have respect for firearms, and plinking, laughing, and enjoying the great outdoors. :)

Wait...were you shootin' at some food?

Did up from the ground come a bubblin' crude?

It might have been black gold! TEXAS TEA! (Oil that is...)
:eek:

Anyways, things I have learned from this thread...

1: Guns don't belong in cars at WDW, they belong in rides & shops because that makes them like 1000 times cooler.

2: Don't tell Steve how to do his job.

3:
picture.php

GenerationX

Due to the Great Gun Debate, the fact that Disney still has a stranglehold on the Florida legislature has not received much attention. Well done, Disney lawyers/lobbyists!

I have a compromise solution that should make all parties (Disney, employees, guests, gun nuts, anti-gun nuts, moderators, posters, lurkers, Sox fans, Yankees fans, etc.) happy. As employees with guns pull into the parking lot to start the day, have the guard take their gun and give them a tag - like a coat check tag. Then, at the end of their shift, the employees could turn in their tag to get their gun back. To make sure the guns would be safe and outside of view, the guards could just keep them under the seats in the Country Bear Jamboree. Heck, just leave them on the seats; it might make for a more enjoyable show that way.

The only problem I see with my solution is if the guards are like the parking lot attendants in Ferris Bueller's Day Off ...

jmicro59

I think the standard counter to that would be a knife can cut a tomato, a window is there to give light...a gun has no other function besides to kill/injure someone.

You can't use one as a can opener, ya know. ;)

AEfx

What about a staters pistol or a nail gun. :ROFLOL:
And I've used my .45 to open a can of tomatoes before not the best way but hey, when life hands you lemons, shoot them. :ROFLOL:
Another interesting fact, here in Canada we have more guns per-capita than the U.S. and yet we manage to shoot our fellow countrymen a heck of a lot less than you NRA, Charlton Heston hugging gun crazy Americans do. Just cut that out will ya. :)

The Mom

Premium Member
I will again remind you to remain civil, and try (although I realize that it may be impossible) to keep from crossing the line separating a WDW discussion from a political debate.

BTW, I believe I have been doing an adequate job moderating this particular thread... so far. It is a very heated topic, and would not generally be allowed - except that it is a current news story involving WDW. But, I will lock or delete it if people get out of hand.

We are all adults who should be able to discuss this without resorting to insults, hyperbole, histrionics, and name calling. If the topic upsets you, you do not have to read it. I am sure there are many people who have just skimmed by it.

jmicro59

I could never ever understand the people that carry guns. Although I live in Canada where owning hand guns, or most guns is illegal. And I am so glad. I don't even know where you could get a gun here?? And yes we do have less violent crimes because of it!!

Huh???? Ever hear of the Canadian Firearms Act? Good me neither as most if not all of the provinces have opted out of the registry as was costing way to much money to maintain. We can carry a weapon as long as it's registered. We can even apply for a concealed weapons license. We also have more guns, per-capita than the U.S. . We just manage to shoot each other a whole lot less than Americans. Maybe we just huck loonies at each other. Man, those puppies hurt. :)

spaceghost

Due to the Great Gun Debate, the fact that Disney still has a stranglehold on the Florida legislature has not received much attention. Well done, Disney lawyers/lobbyists!

I have a compromise solution that should make all parties (Disney, employees, guests, gun nuts, anti-gun nuts, moderators, posters, lurkers, Sox fans, Yankees fans, etc.) happy. As employees with guns pull into the parking lot to start the day, have the guard take their gun and give them a tag - like a coat check tag. Then, at the end of their shift, the employees could turn in their tag to get their gun back. To make sure the guns would be safe and outside of view, the guards could just keep them under the seats in the Country Bear Jamboree. Heck, just leave them on the seats; it might make for a more enjoyable show that way.

The only problem I see with my solution is if the guards are like the parking lot attendants in Ferris Bueller's Day Off ...

Doh! I read through 16 pages of this thread, and on page 16 someone posts the solution I was going to offer. Why can't Disney just set up a system for employees to check in their firearms as they come onto the property for the day? Seems like that would make everyone happy. I wasn't going to post the CBJ part though, that's all you... :D

In general, this is a fascinating legal and moral debate. I can see both sides of the argument. Ultimately, I would agree with others who have said that Disney's rights as a property owner would trump the 2nd amendment rights, but its definitely an interesting debate.

As for the whole guns good/bad argument, I'm torn. I personally feel like our society in the US as a whole is too violent, and part of this is because of the gun culture that has been fostered over the years. But, I think its more than that too - there are so many socio-economic factors at play as well, that removing guns isn't going to fix things. In some ways, I liken this to the debate on welfare. Segments of our society have taken on a culture of welfare and abusing the system, because that's just how they've been brought up. But you can't just take it away, and there are people that the system really validly benefits. So, you're kind of danged if you do, danged if you don't.

I guess more than anything, the fact that people have to live in fear to the point of carrying a handgun to protect themselves is the saddest thing of all. Here in Maine, 99% of the state doesn't have to live that way. We just don't have that problem with violent crime. I can't imagine living that way, and its just another reason I'm glad that I live where I live. The winters can be brutal and the summers short, but at least I don't have to carry a gun to protect myself...:shrug:

jmicro59

I will again remind you to remain civil, and try (although I realize that it may be impossible) to keep from crossing the line separating a WDW discussion from a political debate.

BTW, I believe I have been doing an adequate job moderating this particular thread... so far. It is a very heated topic, and would not generally be allowed - except that it is a current news story involving WDW. But, I will lock or delete it if people get out of hand.

We are all adults who should be able to discuss this without resorting to insults, hyperbole, histrionics, and name calling. If the topic upsets you, you do not have to read it. I am sure there are many people who have just skimmed by it.

You're doing a great job here, Mom. I would argue with you on the "We're all adults here" part though.. :ROFLOL:

s8film40

Looks like this is going to get even more interesting now that there is an actual case to follow. It looks like this is a lose - lose situation for Disney as far as PR goes. On one hand if employees are allowed to have guns in their car the image that could come to mind for a lot of people are crazy Disney employees running around with guns in the park. As this thread has illustrated there are a lot of people out there who don't read into the story enough and jump to the conclusion these employees are carrying guns with them at work. On the other hand you have the states largest single site employer defying a state law through a loophole that is very obviously a drastic misinterpretation of the spirit of the law. And the very fitting timing only adds to this. I guess we'll see what happens next, this could end up in the courts for some time.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Huh???? Ever hear of the Canadian Firearms Act? Good me neither as most if not all of the provinces have opted out of the registry as was costing way to much money to maintain. We can carry a weapon as long as it's registered. We can even apply for a concealed weapons license. We also have more guns, per-capita than the U.S. . We just manage to shoot each other a whole lot less than Americans. Maybe we just huck loonies at each other. Man, those puppies hurt. :)
Sorry, but that isn't backed up by fact. According to 1998 statistics [the most recent available where the two countries can be compared], The U.S. has significantly more firearms per capita.

Canada: Pop - 30.2 m Total firearms - 7.4 m = per capita ~ 1 in 4 have firearms.
U.S.: Pop - 270 m Total firearms - 222 m = per capita 1 in 1.2 have firearms.

For reference: http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/Cda-US.htm

jmicro59

Looks like this is going to get even more interesting now that there is an actual case to follow. It looks like this is a lose - lose situation for Disney as far as PR goes. On one hand if employees are allowed to have guns in their car the image that could come to mind for a lot of people are crazy Disney employees running around with guns in the park. As this thread has illustrated there are a lot of people out there who don't read into the story enough and jump to the conclusion these employees are carrying guns with them at work. On the other hand you have the states largest single site employer defying a state law through a loophole that is very obviously a drastic misinterpretation of the spirit of the law. And the very fitting timing only adds to this. I guess we'll see what happens next, this could end up in the courts for some time.

I agree totally with you. I'm nether a gun supporter nor a no-gun supporter so I don't really don't care either way. It's not going to change my perception of CM's if they do carry a weapon. I have no idea who they are in "real" life and they get no more trust from me than anyone else I meet in my travels just because they've passed some employment background check or because of who they work for. We live in a world today where anyone can be someone to mis-trust or cause harm. They don't need a gun to do it. If people think they need to carry their guns to WDW while they are working, well maybe they need to get a diffrent job. I mean does Tigger really need to "pop a cap" in some rowdy kids butt?
I know in America you guys love your guns, well a good majority of you do, don't want to lump everyone in the same lump, and I know it's your right to bare arms but there are times when common sense is needed. Are there any CM's here that have had any incidents while working at WDW where they said "if I only had a gun" type situation arise? And I'm not talking about using it on your manager. :)

GrowingUpDisney

As a lawyer and former prosecutor in Florida, I recall that Floridian's needed a special license to carry a gun in the glove compartment of their car. It' s been over 10 years since I dealt with those issues so forgive me if i'm wrong. I don't recall exactly if having a license to carry a concealed firearm was sufficient enough so you could keep a gun in your car of if you required an additional license specific to your car. Anyway, I would suggest that if in your home state you haven't been issued a CCF license than you shouldn't bring your gun into the State of Florida. If you do have a license in GA, you really need to double check and make sure that license is recognized in FL. Honestly, i'm not too sure a CCF license would be recognized. Putting that all aside do you honestly think you need a gun to travel down I-75? You have a greater chance of having your car stolen and in turn your gun, than being in any situation where you would need to use a gun to protect yourself.

With respect to whether guests are allowed to have guns on property, I'll ask a relative I know who works in the Florida legislature, but I'm pretty sure the law applies to the cars of employees on the employer's property, not guests to the property.

Thanks for the advice. My DH has applied for his concealed weapon permit in GA and the permit is valid in Florida.

We do not travel down I-75, but rather I-95 (not that it really matters).

jmicro59

Sorry, but that isn't backed up by fact. According to 1998 statistics [the most recent available where the two countries can be compared], The U.S. has significantly more firearms per capita.

Canada: Pop - 30.2 m Total firearms - 7.4 m = per capita ~ 1 in 4 have firearms.
U.S.: Pop - 270 m Total firearms - 222 m = per capita 1 in 1.2 have firearms.

For reference: http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/Cda-US.htm

Man, you used a pro gun site for that?? :)
I stand corrected. Now I'll have to get my weapon and go shoot something. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom