Disney doesn't allow guns at work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKD

Original Poster
Appears Disney is going against the new law in Fla allowing employees to have guns at work. I think it is interesting that Universal and SeaWorld have their own takes on the law, including SeaWorld allowing guns on property.

Not saying one is right and one is wrong, just interesting.

Scott Powers and Jason Garcia | Sentinel Staff Writers
8:42 PM EDT, July 2, 2008
Walt Disney World employees won't be packing any heat in the company parking lots anytime soon.

The giant resort has declared that much of its sprawling property is exempt from a new state law that allows Floridians with concealed-weapons permits to keep firearms locked in their cars at work.

Disney, which has 60,000 employees and a long-standing policy against allowing guns on its land, cites an arcane -- and late-added -- loophole in the new law, which took effect Tuesday.

The company's position stunned backers of the new law, who said Wednesday that they never intended to exempt Florida's largest single-site employer. "You've got to be kidding me," said state Sen. Durell Peaden, a Panhandle Republican and one of the authors of the bill.

For three years, much of the big-business community in Florida -- including Disney, the Florida Chamber of Commerce and the Florida Retail Federation -- had vigorously opposed legislation intended to ensure that employees could store guns in their vehicles while at work. That opposition was offset by strong support from the National Rifle Association, however, and such a bill finally was approved this spring by the state Legislature.

But Disney now contends that it is largely unaffected by the measure.

In a memo circulated last week and obtained by the Orlando Sentinel, Disney World Vice President of Public Affairs Shannon McAleavey advised other company executives that, with a few exceptions, "this law does not apply to Walt Disney World Co. owned and leased properties." Consequently, Disney "continues to maintain a zero tolerance policy" for guns. If an employee brings one onto Disney World property without authorization, it could be grounds for termination, the memo states.

In an interview Wednesday, McAleavey said it is a matter of "protecting the safety of our cast and our guests."

Move outrages NRA

The NRA reacted quickly.

The organization issued an alert Wednesday to members under the heading, "Disney Thumbing Nose at the New Florida Gun Law," accusing Disney of being a "prime offender when it comes to firing employees for exercising Second Amendment rights."

Disney cites language within Florida's newly enacted "Preservation and Protection of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Motor Vehicles Act of 2008" that creates an exception for companies whose primary business is to manufacture, use, store or transport explosives regulated under federal law.

"I intended it to exempt places like defense plants, Air Force bases, things like that," said Peaden, who sponsored the bill in the Senate. "But not Disney. Not at all."

But on the same day that the House took its final vote on the gun bill, the exemption for explosives companies was revised so that it also includes "property owned or leased by an employer who has obtained a permit" under federal law for such explosives.

Disney has such a permit, for the extensive fireworks used in its theme parks.

State Rep. Stan Mayfield, a Vero Beach Republican also involved in crafting the final legislation, said lawmakers had agreed to insert that exception at the request of a small group of lawyers representing several businesses and business groups -- including Disney.

But Mayfield said nobody ever intended for the language to spare so much of the Disney resort, which covers about 30,000.acres.

"I don't think anybody that voted for that bill expected Disney to be exempt," Mayfield said.

Disney officials said they have carefully reviewed the language and determined that the law excludes most Disney World property. McAleavey's memo concluded that it exempts "all theme parks, resorts, theme-park and resort parking lots, Cast Member parking lots, administrative offices across the Walt Disney World Resort, Downtown Disney, Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex, hotels on Hotel Plaza Boulevard, Celebration and the Disney Reservation Centers" in Orlando and Tampa.

The language does not exempt Disney Vacation Club's Vero Beach Resort, Disney Cruise Line's crew-member parking lots and a couple of other Disney properties in Florida, according to the memo.

Law challenged in court

But McAleavey also noted that the Florida Chamber of Commerce and the Florida Retail Federation are challenging the law in court, and Disney would continue to support that effort. A Tampa judge could rule this month, "and we are hopeful it will be overturned," she wrote.

Other theme parks also might hold appropriate explosives permits because of their fireworks programs.

But Universal Orlando is claiming a different exemption: The resort houses a work-study program, the Universal Education Center, that is staffed by Orange County Public Schools.

"We are required to follow school-district policies," spokesman Tom Schroder said. "The Orange County Public School System is exempt from this law. We have so informed our team members."

SeaWorld Orlando takes an entirely different approach: That company supports the rights of its employees or visitors to transport legal firearms in their cars, "and we have for some time," spokeswoman Becca Bides said.

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441. Jason Garcia can be reached at jrgarcia@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5664.

PhotoDave219

Appears Disney is going against the new law in Fla allowing employees to have guns at work.

Well, if you actually read the article (Can gun nuts read? Well tell you at 11. :lookaroun), Disney is exempt from it because of a loophole in the law that basically says if you have a federal explosives permit, you are can be exempt from the law. Because of their fireworks productions, they happen to have said permit and are exempt from the law.

Personally, i don't want guns at Disney. Its the happiest place on earth; we don't need it looking like an armed camp in the Middle East.

The gun nuts can go up the street to Universal where.... oh wait, they're exempt too because of a relationship with the Orange County Public School system.

EPCOT.nut

Well, if you actually read the article (Can gun nuts read? Well tell you at 11. :lookaroun), Disney is exempt from it because of a loophole in the law that basically says if you have a federal explosives permit, you are can be exempt from the law. Because of their fireworks productions, they happen to have said permit and are exempt from the law.

Personally, i don't want guns at Disney. Its the happiest place on earth; we don't need it looking like an armed camp in the Middle East.

The gun nuts can go up the street to Universal where.... oh wait, they're exempt too because of a relationship with the Orange County Public School system.

Yes we can read, thanks for asking. :lookaroun

PKD

Original Poster
Well, if you actually read the article (Can gun nuts read? Well tell you at 11. :lookaroun),

I don't recall saying I was a gun nut or for/against the law. Please don't place me on one side or the other. I am just posting an article that effects guest, & CM's of WDW.

I said that they were going against the law, because as the article points out, the lawmakers didn't intend the loophole to allow Disney to be exempt. So, according to the lawmakers, Disney is going against the law. At the same time, the loophole does appear to allow WDW to remain gun free.

raven

Well I can understand though. It would be a little intimidating for guests to see Mickey packing heat on stage. :lol:

PhotoDave219

Yes we can read, thanks for asking. :lookaroun

This is just one of those subjects wherein you will have very passionate ideas and opinions from people.

I'm sticking with the side of "Nobody should have guns at Disney beyond the local Sheriff's office" and that's all there is to it.

I'm going to need a very compelling and fancy argument why someone should have a gun at Disney. I commend Disney's lawyers for craftily getting around this silly, silly law.

828tnt

ahhhhh! politics, politics.....

i have to agree with not wanting guns at disney though. sometimes i think the 2nd amendment gets stretched farther than some legal loopholes.:lol:

WDWFigment

This is just one of those subjects wherein you will have very passionate ideas and opinions from people.

I'm sticking with the side of "Nobody should have guns at Disney beyond the local Sheriff's office" and that's all there is to it.

I'm going to need a very compelling and fancy argument why someone should have a gun at Disney. I commend Disney's lawyers for craftily getting around this silly, silly law.

Duh... Mouse huntin'

:lookaroun

EPCOT.nut

Whatever you want to think, that's fine - everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not big on arguing.

I just really took exception to the "gun nuts" comment. I mean, if you want to debate or tell how you feel, great....but NRA members and gun owners can read. Whether you thought the OP could read, that's another issue entirely.

PKD

Original Poster
Sorry...

When first posted, I didn't think about the strong sides of the politics aspect. Photodave is correct that there will be those sides, but I'd hope that people would look at it as news and not a fight.

EPCOT.nut

When first posted, I didn't think about the strong sides of the politics aspect. Photodave is correct that there will be those sides, but I'd hope that people would look at it as news and not a fight.

Dunno! I can't imagine debating gun control on THIS website. :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

hpyhnt 1000

ahhhhh! politics, politics.....

i have to agree with not wanting guns at disney though. sometimes i think the 2nd amendment gets stretched farther than some legal loopholes.:lol:

No kidding. I have yet to understand why a regular citizen should be allowed to carry a gun on his/her body everywhere he/she goes. Thank goodness Disney is exempt from this law.

WDW Monorail

That's not entirely true.
I'm not saying that CMs should have guns or shouldn't. Just refferring to an exception to the bolded phrase.

Sam02

As much as I hate guns and stupid gun owners I try and be supportive of the 2nd amendment. So I think "Fine, have your guns, etc, just be safe about it." But I have to ask how is a gun, locked up in your car, supposed to protect you when you are not in your car? What are the number of incedences of CM's being carjacked in the WDW parking lots that justify the need to keep a gun in your car?

And only politicians who create a law exempting theme parks, resorts, etc from their new law would say that they didn't intend Disney to be exempt. Who did they intend to exempt then? :brick:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom