Disney Does It Right

MarkandAmy

Original Poster
There is always a lot of chatter about all the "stuff" that Disney gets wrong. Whether it's the Avatar plans, the Yeti, a lack of attention to detail, CM's not being very pleasant... (I could go on and on)... it seems that many are always complaining about Disney getting it wrong.

I consider myself to be a critical as the next person when it comes to my favorite place on Earth, but is there anything that you think Disney always gets right?

For me, it's the fountain at EPCOT. I've found myself sitting there watching it for an hour, just getting lost in the music and water. I know it might sound kinda corny, but...:lol:

timoteo

Design, presentation, imagination, creativity, hospitality, customer appreciation, staff training, music, landscaping, furniture, fittings, accessories, food, storytelling, ambiance, fireworks, pest control, surprises and plusses, ride technology, technology integration. Just some off the top of my head not necessarily in that order

real mad hatter

Hmm.Let Me Tink!

Excellent question.One answer.Memories! No other vacation makes me more happier than my two precious weeks inside the magic bubble.I don't care if a lightbulbs not working,or there's a tour group of 200 singing their hearts out.So to answer your question.Everything.As a late departed friend of mine once said when he came back from his only once trip to the world."Memories are forever,they won't take that away from me":wave:

Timekeeper

I wouldn't necessarily say that Disney does it "right" and might be willing to lean more toward Disney does it "best." But even that is up to debate more recently than in previous years.

As others have pointed out in multiple discussion threads on this board, just about everything on your list has been going noticeably downhill. Everything from presentation, to staff training, to food, has been going downhill and the compromises aren't difficult to see.

To the contrary, Universal Orlando has been steadily improving. With Disney going down, and Universal going up, the gap isn't as obvious as it was 10 years ago.

So, Disney might be taking the highest grade in the class, depending on who you ask, but if the highest grade is a B+, then there's room for some much needed improvement.

PirateAngel

I think one major thing Disney does “right” / “best”, IMO, is allowing you to totally escape the reality of everyday life and truly have a good time. The other thing I think Disney does right is the way the parks are kept clean. Consider the amount of people that are there throughout the day, I’m amazed at how clean it is. Now in reality, working with professional business men and woman you would expect the same thing, but come take a look at the conference room after a luncheon. :eek:

Mickey_777

Ambiance. From the smells to the fantastic music loops in each land to the transitions in theming. Cleanliness and landscaping as well. I'm probably gonna be in the minority here but I also think merchandise. Besides the tired generic looking "2012 etc" stuff that they put out year after year, the resorts on both coasts ofter some really cool stuff for the fans if you're pockets are deep enough.

disneyowf

I think one major thing Disney does “right” / “best”, IMO, is allowing you to totally escape the reality of everyday life and truly have a good time. The other thing I think Disney does right is the way the parks are kept clean. Consider the amount of people that are there throughout the day, I’m amazed at how clean it is. Now in reality, working with professional business men and woman you would expect the same thing, but come take a look at the conference room after a luncheon. :eek:

100% in agreement on both counts. The first time I was on the grounds and every visit thereafter gives me the sense of being in an 'alternate reality' and escaping everyday life. And also agree on the cleanliness aspect. I believe Disney does a tremendous job in this regard as well.

cameronmouse

I can honestly say that it doesn't bother me if something is not functioning 100% while I'm down there or a CM may be a little rude at an attraction. That is the one place in the world that while I'm there makes me forget about what little things would bother me while I'm at home, and they hit it on the head with the memories that w build as a family while vacationing.

Rowdy

I wouldn't necessarily say that Disney does it "right" and might be willing to lean more toward Disney does it "best." But even that is up to debate more recently than in previous years.

As others have pointed out in multiple discussion threads on this board, just about everything on your list has been going noticeably downhill. Everything from presentation, to staff training, to food, has been going downhill and the compromises aren't difficult to see.

To the contrary, Universal Orlando has been steadily improving. With Disney going down, and Universal going up, the gap isn't as obvious as it was 10 years ago.

So, Disney might be taking the highest grade in the class, depending on who you ask, but if the highest grade is a B+, then there's room for some much needed improvement.

Really? That was your contribution to this thread? :rolleyes:

Disney may not do everything "right". But they certainly do nothing wrong. Because if that were the case, I wouldn't go.

Disney does a lot right, that is why they are the number one tourist destination in the world. My personal favorite thing about Disney World is how beautifully kept the grounds are. It makes just relaxing that much better.

TestTrack Dummy

Ive been to Universal many many times and i admit they've got alot better. Yet dispite how many times i go to Universal i never get the same feelings in Uni that i get in Disney. Theres just something about disney that Uni cant duplicate imo

pintraderpayee

Really? That was your contribution to this thread? :rolleyes:

Disney may not do everything "right". But they certainly do nothing wrong. Because if that were the case, I wouldn't go.

I thought the same thing- three posts and then WHAM it starts!

If you want to see what they do best ask first-timers what impressed them the most. Those of us who spend lots of time at WDW sometimes take for granted all the fantastic sights, services, sounds, smells, etc. My parents, ages 69 and 71, FINALLY consented to go after a decade of me pleading. I think they only agreed to go because DD is doing the college program, but nonetheless, DH and I vacationed with them at WDW earlier this month and they were BLOWN away by literally everything! My father, a college history professor, talks so much about their vacation that he has become an "unofficial" rep for Disney's CP at his university!

Proud parent of a Spring Advantage CPCM--Flame Tree BBQ and Pecos Bill's will never be the same:ROFLOL:

gwhb75

I'll go with the ability to help anyone escape the real world for a short period of time. When I'm there, it's like the "real" world doesn't exist. I don't think about work, deadlines, etc (which is unusual for me. I'm normally always mulling some work related issue through my head). One of the VPs at the company I work for just went in March and said the same thing (that you are so busy enjoying yourself that you don't think about work).

MVP Heather

One thing that enters my mind every time I am riding the Magical Express into Disney World is that this was orange groves and swamp land. Every single tree, shrub, building, road and structure was put in place with a specific purpose. Imagineering is something that I think is done right...LOVE IT!

bethymouse

My favorite place to be!

I would go nowhere else!
The only theme parks that come anywhere close to DISNEY in my opinion is Busch Gardens, mostly for the theming and the absolute cleanliness of the parks!:) Also, its reputation as a destination "food" park (c/o food network).:)
Other "parks " to me are just "amusement" parks and I always find graphiti on many of the "rides".
WDW has "attractions" and "entertainment". It immerses you into the stories and takes you and your children to "magical " places and makes "memories" that last a lifetime!
In my humble opinion:rolleyes:you just can't beat that!:animwink:

Goofnut1980

I took someone for their very first time last year. Myself, I have been a ba-zillion times. At 35 years old, he had the time of his life... Only fault he could muster up was... Dang this place is HUGE, and my feet hurt! He didn't care about lightbulbs, or how much a soda cost. He was there to enjoy the parks. Also, I turned him into a pin-head too! He filled 2 lanyards.

28 days till I visit Disneyland for the first time ever!!!! :sohappy: and then I have to wait till December for my next WDW trip!

Epcot-Rules

Ive been to Universal many many times and i admit they've got alot better. Yet dispite how many times i go to Universal i never get the same feelings in Uni that i get in Disney. Theres just something about disney that Uni cant duplicate imo

I agree 100% and It's because Disney has cast members and Uni has employees. I do think Uni has become much more competition in the last 5 years for Disney. I like their parks but nothing compares to WDW.

Busch Gardens in Tampa has became another park I like over the last 5 years. They keep new rides and great coasters. We are a coaster family. We live in Florida and go to all of the parks every year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom