Disney Does It Right

Annielkd

Disney does a lot right, that is why they are the number one tourist destination in the world. My personal favorite thing about Disney World is how beautifully kept the grounds are. It makes just relaxing that much better.

This is EXACTLY why I love Disney. The landscaping is out of this world. It's just so beautiful and makes you think anything is possible.

The Empress Lilly

I consider myself to be a critical as the next person when it comes to my favorite place on Earth, but is there anything that you think Disney always gets right?

For me, it's the fountain at EPCOT. I've found myself sitting there watching it for an hour, just getting lost in the music and water. I know it might sound kinda corny, but...:lol:
I can spend an eternity at that fountain, to marvel at EPCOT and contemplate the beauty of SSE.

Although my real magic spot is the fountain in front of SSE. Sadly, the prisms are missing. I'm visiting an amputee.

What do I think Disney always gets right?
Hmm...let's think. Some random things that come up:

CM's are great!
From an absolutly adorable Rapunzel I had a M&G with. To a cleaner at DAK who saw me 'study' details at Pizzafari then gave me quick private tour.

I shall never cease to be mesmerised, infatuated with the beauty of the castle and SSE. I can look at them forever, dwelling the hub in the MK or lingering around SSE.

WS and the front half of the Studios remain places of extraordinary beauty.

The monorail remains exciting. Even if two CMs had to kick and bang the door to keep it shut. There was tape on that door too (To keep it together?). Then we took off from the station, crowded wagon, sixty feet in the air...:lookaroun

Space Mountain has been my favourite since the 1970s, and nothing can convince me it is not still the greatest ride on the planet.

There's lots more!

yensid67

What does Disney get right? I think the other question should be, What does Disney ever get wrong?

I know there are a few answers to this question , but the good outweighs the bad in this case!

Timekeeper

If you read the feedback that people provide here, a lot of what they like about Disney is that "special feeling" that they get, and then they mention something relating to sentimental or reminiscent emotions based heavily on past experiences. That's the one thing that Disney has that no other theme park company will ever be able to compete with: a historical presence. Disney was essentially the first-to-market for "that" sort of theme park.

No new soda brand will ever be able to compare to Coke, even if the newer brand actually tastes better. Similarly, nothing at WDW even comes close to the quality of Forbidden Journey, but Disney fans will still opt for that "special feeling" they get on Peter Pan, or Haunted Mansion. It's not a matter of right or wrong, or better or worse; it's just personal preference.

JT3000

It's because Disney has cast members and Uni has employees.

Come again? "Cast member" is just Disney's cute, inconsequential terminology for their... wait for it... employees. The title doesn't magically make them better than another park's employees. In fact, Disney SHARES many of its employees with other area parks.

By the way, they're technically "team members" at Universal. ;)

Duckberg

There is always a lot of chatter about all the "stuff" that Disney gets wrong. Whether it's the Avatar plans, the Yeti, a lack of attention to detail, CM's not being very pleasant... (I could go on and on)... it seems that many are always complaining about Disney getting it wrong.

I consider myself to be a critical as the next person when it comes to my favorite place on Earth, but is there anything that you think Disney always gets right?

For me, it's the fountain at EPCOT. I've found myself sitting there watching it for an hour, just getting lost in the music and water. I know it might sound kinda corny, but...:lol:

Think POSITIVE :sohappy:

jlevis

As you walk under the train platform at MK and get your first glimse of Cinderella Castle - that feeling that you get is what Disney does better than anyone else. And, that is why when my wife asked what I wanted for my upcoming 70th birthday I told her, "to go to Disney World."

JayCricket

"Cast member" is just Disney's cute, inconsequential terminology for their... wait for it... employees.

No, it's not inconsequential and while CMs are employees, most consider themselves CMs because they actually feel that they are part of the show.
Disney reinforces the playing a role concept from day one with periodic group or one on one meetings. It's not just cute terminology, it's a methodology, and it seems to work.

The title doesn't magically make them better than another park's employees.

It's not that the WDW CMs are better, although I believe they are, but there is a difference. Just like WDW isn't better than the other area parks, but there is a difference. And whatever that difference is, is why WDW is the place to be by so many.

whitethunder

The parks have a certain ability to let me run away from my real life problems for a couple hours each visit.

That being said, I've only really been going to Disney over the past couple years as an AP holder. So I don't have a lot of experience with how things use to be, I just know how things are now. Maybe some things have gone down hill, but nothing is bad enough to make me not want to go. I still prefer to hold a AP for Disney over the other parks, the events that go on at the world are freaking awesome.. I'll never do New Years fireworks anywhere else again.

Rogue21

When I retire . . .

My parents, ages 69 and 71, FINALLY consented to go after a decade of me pleading. I think they only agreed to go because DD is doing the college program, but nonetheless, DH and I vacationed with them at WDW earlier this month and they were BLOWN away by literally everything!

Same situation . . . neither of my parents had any interest in WDW, but I kept insisting they'd love it. Finally, my Dad gave in and said they'd go when he retired. I held him to that promise and we went in 2008 when they were both 70. They still talk about that first trip; telling everyone how much they enjoyed the hotel (WL), the parks (esp. Epcot), the food (Dad loves a buffet!) and the rides (Soarin').

We'll be returning this October for their 3rd trip. A little 56th anniversary celebration for them. :sohappy:

So, what does Disney do "right"? It's the memories.

dkosdros

Disney just does "IT" right. You can call it magic, you can call it the landscaping, you can call "it" whatever you want. But "It" is done RIGHT at Disney.

I never see or feel like they cut corners to do something there. "It" always feels and seems perfect.

The moment you see the big entrance into Disney World. (You know the big arches you drive under to get into the world) and we all know we are finally there. It is at that moment when it is like a switch turns on while 500 others can finally turn off. It is a weird thing to say but it is almost like I feel like I am home at that point and everyone has been awaiting my arrival. My troubles leave, I feel safe and special and like a kid again. No other place on earth other than my own home can give you that feeling and I have to say many times I feel like Disney is better than home.

While Uni does have some cool attractions that they hit a grand slam on, you don't get that special feeling all day and every day in the park like you do at Disney. You just get a little taste here and there. To me Uni is still just a really cool Theme Park while Disney is a "magical world". I honestly believe this will never change. Disney knows what "its" secret is and no other parks will ever be able to replicate it without making themselves well.... Disney. :)

MarkandAmy

Original Poster
Disney just does "IT" right. You can call it magic, you can call it the landscaping, you can call "it" whatever you want. But "It" is done RIGHT at Disney.

I never see or feel like they cut corners to do something there. "It" always feels and seems perfect.

The moment you see the big entrance into Disney World. (You know the big arches you drive under to get into the world) and we all know we are finally there. It is at that moment when it is like a switch turns on while 500 others can finally turn off. It is a weird thing to say but it is almost like I feel like I am home at that point and everyone has been awaiting my arrival. My troubles leave, I feel safe and special and like a kid again. No other place on earth other than my own home can give you that feeling and I have to say many times I feel like Disney is better than home.

While Uni does have some cool attractions that they hit a grand slam on, you don't get that special feeling all day and every day in the park like you do at Disney. You just get a little taste here and there. To me Uni is still just a really cool Theme Park while Disney is a "magical world". I honestly believe this will never change. Disney knows what "its" secret is and no other parks will ever be able to replicate it without making themselves well.... Disney. :)

Totally agree. Once you drive under that sign it's like the real world vanishes and all of our problems are gone.

jlevis

Come again? "Cast member" is just Disney's cute, inconsequential terminology for their... wait for it... employees. The title doesn't magically make them better than another park's employees. In fact, Disney SHARES many of its employees with other area parks.

By the way, they're technically "team members" at Universal. ;)

So, at Universal employees are technically team members but at Disney World Cast Members are technically employees? What makes a Cast Member better than other park employees is training and commitment to a philosopy.

tink65

I think one major thing Disney does “right” / “best”, IMO, is allowing you to totally escape the reality of everyday life and truly have a good time. The other thing I think Disney does right is the way the parks are kept clean. Consider the amount of people that are there throughout the day, I’m amazed at how clean it is. Now in reality, working with professional business men and woman you would expect the same thing, but come take a look at the conference room after a luncheon. :eek:

I totally agree! When I'm at Disney I leave my "real" life behind and enter into a world of wonder & imagination! We've only been to Universal once and while we had a great time....no comparision to Disney. Just my opinion.....

JT3000

So, at Universal employees are technically team members but at Disney World Cast Members are technically employees? What makes a Cast Member better than other park employees is training and commitment to a philosopy.

No, an employee is an employee is an employee. Meaningless titles are just that. And you don't seriously think Disney is the only theme park organization that trains their employees, do you? :lookaroun

JayCricket

No, an employee is an employee is an employee. Meaningless titles are just that.

I'm going out on a limb here, you're not a CM?
The vast majority, not all, of CMs are there because they really wanted to be part of something special.
The pay is competitive, Disney expects a lot out of every CM, the work environment can be grueling in some positions, yet they do it and are proud to wear that oval name tag.
Nothing demonstrates that more than the College Program and International Program kids.

sublimesting

Not corny at all...we've all found ourselves there at one time or another. Here's what you want to do. Just keep walking in a straight line. Now it will start looking like a torrential storm but that just means your nearing the center of the fountain. But keep on going, it will start to subside. This means you are approaching the other side. Eventually the water will stop and you'll see a railing with a slab of cement and some buildings and people. This is where you want to be. it's the way out!!! Remember, no matter which side you start from just go in a straight line to get out.

This probably applies to life in someway too but I'm not sure how.

menamechris

It's not that the WDW CMs are better, although I believe they are, but there is a difference. Just like WDW isn't better than the other area parks, but there is a difference. And whatever that difference is, is why WDW is the place to be by so many.

Just FYI - a VERY good number of cast members at Disney are also team members at Universal. In fact, I would say roughly half of the people I know in that industry pull shifts at both resorts....The difference is more perception and expectation on the part of the guest...

3WaltFans

Design, presentation, imagination, creativity, hospitality, customer appreciation, staff training, music, landscaping, furniture, fittings, accessories, food, storytelling, ambiance, fireworks, pest control, surprises and plusses, ride technology, technology integration. Just some off the top of my head not necessarily in that order

Agree with you 100%

That's why we go every year, it's the best!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom