Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

dajazz

Glad to know a childhood favorite of mine is disappearing, disappearing (sob) because of a business decision. Truly soothing for my wounds. Yes, soothing like salt and lemon juice.

Everyone is going to lose childhood favorites, obviously it hurts but if things stayed the same we wouldn't have some great rides. I'm sure someone loved Food Rocks as a kid, and because it's gone now I get to enjoy Soarin when I go.

From a completely objective standpoint, what do you feel Disney should have done? Assuming that Maelstrom's popularity was on the wane, should they have left it as is? Should they have updated it?

jakeman

Everyone is going to lose childhood favorites, obviously it hurts but if things stayed the same we wouldn't have some great rides. I'm sure someone loved Food Rocks as a kid, and because it's gone now I get to enjoy Soarin when I go.

From a completely objective standpoint, what do you feel Disney should have done? Assuming that Maelstrom's popularity was on the wane, should they have left it as is? Should they have updated it?
The answer is going to be update it.

Wildflower

Yeah, I commented about that a few minutes back here, but this thread is growing so fast I can't keep up. Funny how they axed at least 4 comments at once, I didn't see them all, but the total went from 50 to 46 swiftly.
right there with you, sorry I missed yours (wouldn't have duped)! Yes, indeed on the speed of taking them off, somewhat shocked they even made it through in the first place.

AMartin767

This attraction belongs in Hollywood Studios not Epcot. The Norway attraction should be about... hmmm... Norway maybe? I big part of what makes World Showcase so attractive is each pavilion is, was or should be, about taking you to a little peice of the country it represents. This is destructive to that ideal. Disney continues to drag its parks lower and lower. There is SOO much work that needs to be done in future world and we get this? you're losing it Disney... the magic is slowly erroding away. *sigh*

boufa

This move exemplifies the current Disney Company management style regarding WDW: Let them Expect More while We Deliver Less.

Many would consider a Frozen attraction over a old out of date attraction that presents an almost offensive stereotypical view of Norway to be getting more. You may not, but I bet most do.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Based on the alterations, I'm not so sure. Since 1995, what have they touched in Epcot where the end result was better than the original? Journey into Imagination? Horizons? Wonder's of Life/Body Wars? Living Seas? Odyssey restaurant? El Rio del Tiempo? Ice Station Cool (or whatever it was called)? Off-Kilter to a lumberjack show?
Better is again relative. What is better/worse to you and me is different that what is better to the majority of people in the country.

You average theme park guest likes an attraction like TT more than WoM.

You average 9 year old loves Turtle Talk more than a trip in the Sea Cabs.

If it gives you any indication of what the general public sees as entertaining, Nicki Minaj has sold millions of records and once had seven singles simultaneously charting on the Billboard top 100.

Last edited:

Matt7187

Also, every time I was ever at Epcot, it would always have at least a 40 minute wait. I don't know how popularity would have waned.

It's just sad. Every last thing that was original and educational has to be ruined. That really sucks. This isn't just about disney, it is all of America. People only care about what is new and fresh. No one gives a rats a$$ about learning on vacation. They just want tacky redo's on rides that were fine the way they were. Sure, Maelstrom could have used a touch up, maybe some new effects/animatronics, but why close it down? If a frozen ride is really necessary in World Showcase, or even at all, why not just build a new building or use an unoccupied building. It just doesn't make sense. When they actually try to make the parks better, they fail. When we want them to do something, they don't. I just wish they would listen to what the fans want.

Rant over

EDIT: That may not make much sense, I just typed what was coming into my head.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

This attraction belongs in Hollywood Studios not Epcot. The Norway attraction should be about... hmmm... Norway maybe? I big part of what makes World Showcase so attractive is each pavilion is, was or should be, about taking you to a little peice of the country it represents. This is destructive to that ideal. Disney continues to drag its parks lower and lower. There is SOO much work that needs to be done in future world and we get this? you're losing it Disney... the magic is slowly erroding away. *sigh*
its still 100% magical to Iger's wallet.

jdmdisney99

Education in Epcot had a long and storied life, but today slipped away quietly after a long slow decline in health.

Education in Epcot was born in 1966 to Walt Disney, father of many mind boggling and forward thinking achievements. In it's youth, it's father dreamed of a Utopian city, melding some of industry's leaders together to create a new world for the future. Sadly, Education in Epcot's father passed away shortly after it's birth.

As Education in Epcot grew, it realized it's true calling, to bring out the best in human civilization by fostering excitement among people big and small, educating people from all walks of life about the technologies and dreams of the future, as well as exposing people to the global community that would need to come together to make these dreams come true.

During it's teenage years, Education in Epcot contracted a case of malaise brought on by poor decision making from it's new foster parents. Starting in 1994, it started losing some of it's most important fundamental beliefs. It started to lose it's energy and mobility in 1996, it's imagination in 1998, and by late 1999, all of it's dreams of the future crumbled away.

Education in Epcot still maintained a love for foreign travel though, and continued to enjoy life with it's love for cuisine and world music. These loves could only be sustained for so long though, and signs of it's death started cropping up in the past few years. It quietly passed away today, it's last heartbeat frozen in time. It's death was announced in a short statement on social media.

It is survived by it's half-sibling Corporate Greed.

Education in Epcot: 1966 - 2014. Rest in Peace.

Donations can be made in Education of Epcot's honor to local school systems and libraries.
The 21st century began October 1, 1982.
It ended September 12, 2014.
Orson-welles-clapping.gif

BrerJon

It would be easy to keep everything as Norwegian as could be, and integrate Frozen.

All they need to do is change the official line to say that instead of Arrendele being a country itself, it's actually just a principality of Norway, and always was part of the larger country. Then make the ride Anna and Elsa exploring the country. If they do that it's a bit more bearable, but sticking to the 'inspired by' line just feels wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom