Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Oriolesmagic

Fans welcome change if what we're getting is equal or better, it just very often isn't. Many feel Norway is diminished by pretending to be a fictional country.

Jaws at Universal was beloved, but fans were happy when it closed because we got Diagon Alley.
Mickey was evicted and Toontown demolished, but we got New Fantasyland, fans were fine with that.
The new Lion King Theater is much better than the old one.

But stuff like replacing 20K with Pooh, replacing PI with nothing, or Horizons with Mission:Space... fans dislike, not because they're just negative ninnies, but because the replacements just dont compare.

Maybe the Frozen ride will be great, I hope so, but it will fundamentally change the feel of the Norway pavilion from its original intention.

This is a very good post. Agreed on every point. (Except for maybe one could argue that 20K is replaced with the entire New Fantasyland instead of Pooh. It just took awhile. Disney taking a long time to do something good?! WHAT?!)

wdw47

Fans welcome change if what we're getting is equal or better, it just very often isn't. Many feel Norway is diminished by pretending to be a fictional country.

Jaws at Universal was beloved, but fans were happy when it closed because we got Diagon Alley.
Mickey was evicted and Toontown demolished, but we got New Fantasyland, fans were fine with that.
The new Lion King Theater is much better than the old one.

But stuff like replacing 20K with Pooh, replacing PI with nothing, or Horizons with Mission:Space... fans dislike, not because they're just negative ninnies, but because the replacements just dont compare.

Maybe the Frozen ride will be great, I hope so, but it will fundamentally change the feel of the Norway pavilion from its original intention.

I think people are worried we're gonna get "El Rio del Tiempoed"

lebeau

Shocked-William-Shatner-Star-Trek.gif

BrerJon

Actually, it is. Number one..their lines are way longer and crowding in that TINY pavilion will be ridiculous. (It's already crowded w/o it). Second of all, I don't see a Snow White ride in Germany, an Aladdin ride in Morocco, or a Poppins ride in UK. So....

A Poppins ride would be fine in the UK, as the movie is actually set there, but, like having Aladdin in Morocco, having Arrendale in Norway just diminishes the real country.

it's actually kinda racist to just group everyone from a vague geographic region into one land. I know most Americans don't have a clue what the difference is between Norway, Sweden, Finland etc., but that lumping all foreigners into the same pot shouldn't be encouraged.

Imagine if the American pavilion had a New York ride, but it got replaced by a Gotham City Batman ride. How would that feel?

Last edited:

mouse_luv

Snow White, Aladdin and Mary Poppins are also not the number 5 movie in world in terms of box office receipts.
Not the point.
Many Disney movies were highest grossing of their time period. Snow White was released in a whole different kind of World than today's Frozen. That doesn't mean that it needs to vomit all over the Theme Park. If that's the case, where's my Lion King ride from back in the mid-90's? Oh wait, Disney wasn't delusional greed mongers back then.

iheartdisney91

All I have to add is that
Seeing they closed a classic attraction, and one of my favorites
Disney better put the time and effort into making this ride amazing.
Nothing cheap or lazy like they did with adding donald to el del tiempo!

Sassagoula-Rvr

Here's to hoping it's an amazing state of the art ride (who knows though) but was a huge fan of Maelstrom. There was just something so charming about this ride to me and I'm not talking about the cute Norwegian girls. ;)

Maybe that's why the Norway pavillion is one of my favorites!! Haha

But for real...hopefully they keep same ride system....the boat going backwards was always fun!

Bolna

A Poppins ride would be fine in the UK, as the movie is actually set there, but, like having Aladdin in Morocco, having Arrendale in Norway just diminishes the real country.

it's actually kinda racist to just lump everyone from a vague geographic region into one land. I know most Americans don't have a clue what the difference is between Norway, Sweden, Finland etc., but that lumping all foreigners into the same pot shouldn't be encouraged.

Imagine if the American pavilion had a New York ride, but it got replaced by a Gotham City Batman ride. How would that feel?

I agree, I find it rather ignorant and culturally insensitive to have a pavilion named after one country but using it instead to promote your own American version of a fairy tale from an author that is from a neighbouring country.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not the point.
Many Disney movies were highest grossing of their time period. Snow White was released in a whole different kind of World than today's Frozen. That doesn't mean that it needs to vomit all over the Theme Park. If that's the case, where's my Lion King ride from back in the mid-90's? Oh wait, Disney wasn't delusional greed mongers back then.
I guessed I missed the part where Disney as a company did not care about capitalizing on their product until sometime after the year 2000.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom