Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Oriolesmagic

Roj2323, here's the quote from DisneyParks:

So I’m pleased to say that we’re starting construction at Walt Disney World Resort on a brand new “Frozen” attraction at the Norway Pavilion in Epcot. The new attraction, which replaces Maelstrom, will take our guests to Arendelle and immerse them in many of their favorite moments and music from the film. The pavilion will also include a royal greeting location where Anna and Elsa can meet our guests.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

71jason

They absolutely do, my comments were quite tame and were still not accepted by their moderators. I essentially asked how much of Norway would remain Norwegian?

If a version of China that serves quick-serve "sweet and sour chicken" and a UK pavillion largely focused on Beatles and Dr. Who merch are ok, I really have no problem with a fictionalized version of Norway taking over the pavilion. All the countries are fictionalized to one degree or another.

In any case, it's a done deal. Rather than rehashing the debate, why not focus on how it will be done.

DC0703

Personally i'm looking forward to the Frozen re-theme. I realize it's not very fitting with the focus of Epcot's world showcase but having ridden the attraction recently It honestly just felt tired, outdated and to be completely honest kinda boring. As for the meet and greet, that was going to happen either way so there's no sense in arguing or complaining about it. Anna and elsa in Norway is no different than Snow White in Germany, Jasmin and Alladin in Morocco or Alice and Mary Poppins in Great Britain,

The topic of a Disney trip came up at a recent family gathering and I brought up the Maelstrom rumor - the reaction was very optimistic, with everyone saying essentially what you said here, that it is outdated and boring. I was kind of surprised that nobody was against the idea.

Personally, I'm not a fan of them bringing this to Epcot, as I fear a trend starting. But there's no doubt that it will be a bigger draw than the current ride, like it or not.

BrerJon

Has there ever been a time where Disney or any other fans have welcomed change?

Fans welcome change if what we're getting is equal or better, it just very often isn't. Many feel Norway is diminished by pretending to be a fictional country.

Jaws at Universal was beloved, but fans were happy when it closed because we got Diagon Alley.
Mickey was evicted and Toontown demolished, but we got New Fantasyland, fans were fine with that.
The new Lion King Theater is much better than the old one.

But stuff like replacing 20K with Pooh, replacing PI with nothing, or Horizons with Mission:Space... fans dislike, not because they're just negative ninnies, but because the replacements just don't compare.

Maybe the Frozen ride will be great, I hope so, but it will fundamentally change the feel of the Norway pavilion from its original intention.

Last edited:

mouse_luv

Dare I say it? --- YET --- Disney has plenty of money to screw things up.
You are totally missing the point. But hey, I would welcome a ride in Germany since they never did the Rhine boat ride, and theres a building just sitting there. AKA that would be totally different than taking cultural stuff away from Norway. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The fact of the matter is we don't know what they have planned yet. We have no renderings or descriptions of plans officially. for all we know they are going to use the expansion plot between Norway and Mexico to build a meet and greet and just have an entry way from Norway.
Errr... Now quite...

Oh well. Shame.

ABQ

If a version of China that serves quick-serve "sweet and sour chicken" and a UK pavillion largely focused on Beatles and Dr. Who merch are ok, I really have no problem with a fictionalized version of Norway taking over the pavilion. All the countries are fictionalized to one degree or another.

In any case, it's a done deal. Rather than rehashing the debate, why not focus on how it will be done.
I'll give you the Sweet and Sour Chicken thing, but the Beatles and Dr Who are both things that came from the UK. Yes, Dr Who is a fictional character, but a character out of the BBC.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Actually, it is. Number one..their lines are way longer and crowding in that TINY pavilion will be ridiculous. (It's already crowded w/o it). Second of all, I don't see a Snow White ride in Germany, an Aladdin ride in Morocco, or a Poppins ride in UK. So....
Snow White, Aladdin and Mary Poppins are also not the number 5 movie in world in terms of box office receipts.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I'm looking forward to the change we never cared for Maelstrom and only rode it because it was one of the few rides in WS. On the last trip my DH said can we just skip it. so we did. But I also understand there are people who love it and a losing a favorite ride. For that I feel sorry.

I'm guessing it came down to money in the end. Spend the money on an update of what was there or spend the money on a makeover to Frozen. Frozen is a cash cow and no one from Norway was willing to pay to keep it the way it was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom