Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Have no problem with Frozen attraction in Norway. Infact i think they should shoe Horn Ratatouille into France.

Just a quick question, why didn't they just make a brand new attraction? Why use the same exisiting layout as Maelstrom? Pirates of the Caribbean in Shanghai show just what Disney Imagineers are capable off.
You answered your own question. They went cheap (and in their eyes quick) and shoe horned.

AndyMagic

Winnie the Pooh was 'shoehorned' in to replace Mr. Toad.......That worked out pretty well! :)

It worked out pretty well in the sense that it wasn't a total disaster and ended up being a cute ride on-par with the existing Fantasyland attractions but it wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms within the community either. That said, it isn't even close to a fair comparison for the following reasons:
  • Winnie the Pooh was an established brand in 1999 but was by no means a phenomenon when the attraction opened.
  • The limited capacity of the Winnie the Pooh ride matched the expected customer demand.
  • It wasn't a thematic disaster to place it in Fantasyland.
  • Mr. Toad closed in September of 1998 and Pooh opened in June of 1999. That's a 9 month turn-around just to give everyone an example of how ridiculous Disney's current "fast track" scheduling is these days.
  • And most importantly, the scope and length of the Pooh re-do met the expectations of the consumer given the brand IP.
None of these apply to Frozen.

ProfSavage

WDI's bloated budgets and waste have been detailed on these forums time and time again. You just choose to ignore it.

Wrong. Frostrom is so much better for children than anything that would actually fit in World Showcase.
epcot-matterhorn_web.png

epcot-fuji.png

Man. I am still bitter about not getting Switzerland/Alps and a proper attraction in Japan. Japan still needs a ride of some sort, and we need another country. Balance out the other side of WS that is lacking.... Preferably an indoor pavilion to give symmetry to Mexico...

raymusiccity

Man. I am still bitter about not getting Switzerland/Alps and a proper attraction in Japan. Japan still needs a ride of some sort, and we need another country. Balance out the other side of WS that is lacking.... Preferably an indoor pavilion to give symmetry to Mexico...

Bitterness is an understatement when you look at the aerial views of World Showcase. Especially Germany and Japan. The lions share of the work has already been completed. Site work, utilities and Show Buildings are all finished and waiting for whatever attractions Disney would like to install. It has all been hashed out in other threads......Germany can complete their original vision of a River Tour, Japan gets a Bullet Train and France gets Ratatouille! :)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
How old are your kids? I couldn't take my two year old or four year old on the old Norway ride. Heck, my six year old would probably pee her pants. So like I said, unless you've got older kids, little ones aren't going to be learning about the experience and wonder of Norway from the old troll boat ride. Nowadays kids can go to live feeds of the fjords and FaceTime classmates in Oslo. And so while I agree the World Showcase Norway and Frozen don't go together, Disney did it to make money. Why would you expect anything else? Disney is a for profit company that shoves, mostly fun, garbage down our throats and we eat it up for lots of different reasons.
Sounds like your kids are coddled waaaaaaay too much ,(especially if Maelstrom would make them wet their pants).

And every busines is just that, ...a BUSINESS. The intent is to make a profit, only difference is that nowadays, it's at any cost, but it used to about creating a quality product...which people will ALWAYS eat up AND get their moneys worth.

Last edited:

Alejandro

Japan ride....a bullet train ride like the Mikey in Tokyo Cartoon

danlb_2000

Premium Member
We have gone from people complaining Disney is not investing enough in new attractions to now they are investing too much.

And people criticize me for being out of touch. Wow.

If you ever need some work down around your house, please contact me because it seems you will have no problem paying twice as much for the same work that someone else could do for half the price.

AEfx

Good, then we're agreed that no one has to mention UNI ever again outside of the sub-forum specifically devoted to UNI.

Five years ago you would have still had a good argument about that. And before that, you wouldn't have needed to make the argument because a dozen folks would would smack you silly if you tried to talk about Universal in a Disney thread.

However, in 2016, given the nature of the discussions that we have in the News and Rumors forum, it's simply impossible. Too much has changed at Universal, and frankly too much has not changed at WDW - and what has changed has been for the worse.

MOM2FOUR

Sounds like your kids are coddled waaaaaaay too much ,(especially if Maelstrom would make them wet their pants).

And every busines is just that, ...a BUSINESS. The intent is to make a profit, only difference is that nowadays, it's at any cost, but it used to about creating a quality product...which people will ALWAYS eat up AND get their moneys worth.

You're funny! My kids are way coddled and sheltered. I'd be pretty concerned if my little ones liked seeing trolls in a boat in the dark! LOL. But do you not understand what you're saying? Businesses don't put products out to lose money. If Epcot's attendance decreases because of the Frozen ride or other rides like it, they'll stop. But I think everyone's fear here is that it won't. Supply and demand. Can you only imagine what Disney will do if Epcot's attendance skyrockets? Holy cow, every country in World Showcase will have a Disney movie associated with it. They'll be selling stuffed animals at the end of every ride. Disney is definitely a company that makes a profit at any cost. It's sad that it's become that, but we're the reason, I'm the reason. Disney produces fun crap and I willingly buy it for my kids because they like it and for nostalgic purposes. After my kids are grown, I will probably never set foot in the parks again unless I have grandchildren. I'd rather visit the real countries than drop thousands of dollars to come to an amusement park to learn about other countries.

ProfSavage

Can you only imagine what Disney will do if Epcot's attendance skyrockets? Holy cow, every country in World Showcase will have a Disney movie associated with it. They'll be selling stuffed animals at the end of every ride.

Yes I can. And I hope I am dead by then.

I'd rather visit the real countries than drop thousands of dollars to come to an amusement park to learn about other countries.

Some of us like learning about other countries, and either can't afford, or will never be able to visit those. This whole mindset is what is causing the dumbing down of Epcot.

jt04

If you ever need some work down around your house, please contact me because it seems you will have no problem paying twice as much for the same work that someone else could do for half the price.

So the myth goes. Get back to me after Pandora opens. There is a Disney difference. That is not a myth.

AEfx

I'd rather visit the real countries than drop thousands of dollars to come to an amusement park to learn about other countries.

That's one key reason that WS has lost much of it's original appeal. By today's standards, it's actually the epitome of the inauthentic revisionism and culture-washing that Disney is so often accused of perpetuating. Coupled with the fact that a WDW vacation has gone up so much and overseas travel has gone down over the past few decades, it's easy to see why folks aren't terribly impressed with a few facades when they could visit the actual countries for a commensurate cost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom