Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Mike S

I think the majority would wish that.
But we almost always get a retelling of a popular movie than actually something different.
Not to mention every character based ride in Epcot has been done on the cheap. No reason to believe that'll change. If it didn't change for Frozen, it just won't for anything else either. No clones of Ratatouille or B&tB in France, sorry. Too expensive for modern WDW. Did you know they're a business and have to do it this way or they'll be out of business?

Bocabear

What is also astounding is the numbers I have seen thrown around about this Frozen overlay...Cheap it's not! i heard 80 million, and then more recently i hear 100 million due to cost over runs...Can this be true? Expedition Everest and all it's support structures came in at 100 million as rthe most expensive soller coaster ever built...Is it possible, really possible that this overlay of an existing ride can have costed 100 million? I mean, at that cost they might as well have just built an all new attraction that would have been designed for high capacity behind the existing pavilion and left Maelstrom alone...

zooey

I'm going to guess that most of us are still going to visit Epcot. We will still take a stroll around world showcase. What do you plan on doing once this opens? Ignore it? Ride it begrudgingly? I'm genuinely curious what people's plans are. it took over one of my favorite pavilions and not sure if that will affect the feeling of all of world showcase or if it will stay more localized. But I'll probably ride it begrudgingly anyway.

G00fyDad

I'm going to guess that most of us are still going to visit Epcot. We will still take a stroll around world showcase. What do you plan on doing once this opens? Ignore it? Ride it begrudgingly? I'm genuinely curious what people's plans are. it took over one of my favorite pavilions and not sure if that will affect the feeling of all of world showcase or if it will stay more localized. But I'll probably ride it begrudgingly anyway.

I for one hated Maelstrom so I doubt I will ride this version. This is even less likely to be visited by us because if I have to listen to "Let it Go" sung one more time I may have a stroke. It doesn't mean that I will be skipping the pavilion. I will still look at the new additions, but I doubt that I will ride the attraction.

Mike S

Due to the fact that I don't go to the parks alone I see myself riding it. Only with FastPass. The rest of my party will have to stay up to get them though because frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
What is also astounding is the numbers I have seen thrown around about this Frozen overlay...Cheap it's not! i heard 80 million, and then more recently i hear 100 million due to cost over runs...Can this be true? Expedition Everest and all it's support structures came in at 100 million as rthe most expensive soller coaster ever built...Is it possible, really possible that this overlay of an existing ride can have costed 100 million? I mean, at that cost they might as well have just built an all new attraction that would have been designed for high capacity behind the existing pavilion and left Maelstrom alone...

if that's true then Disney has gone from just stupid to completely insane

they could/should have built an entirely new structure/building for a frozen ride... preferably NOT in EPCOT but since that ship has sailed they should have used the plot IMO between Mexico and Norway to build it and LEAVE Maelstrom as is

raymusiccity

I don't agree with Frozen's placement (at all), but taking away the fact that it's in Maelstrom's place, the show scenes aren't really THAT bad. I think the hate for placement is a bit blinding to what looks nicely done. I'm not saying it's amazing but if this were in a new showbuilding in the proper park, I think there would be more praise for what we've seen. JMO.

I agree. Frozen looks like an upgrade to the previous 'ride'. Proof would be any flash photos of Maelstrom, including the tacky stuffed polar bear.

Idoonu

If the price range is even half of that you'd expect this to be one of the best boat/dark rides in the world. It just doesn't sound entirely accurate though, unless most of the money was actually spent on R&D and counted towards this ride.

FigmentForver96

I agree. Frozen looks like an upgrade to the previous 'ride'. Proof would be any flash photos of Maelstrom, including the tacky stuffed polar bear.
People keep saying "oh well the old ride was dumb anyway this should be better"! If the old ride was so bad they should had properly updated or replaced the ride. Not shoehorn something into the ride to capitalize on a booming franchise.

jt04

We have gone from people complaining Disney is not investing enough in new attractions to now they are investing too much.

And people criticize me for being out of touch. Wow.

Idoonu

We have gone from people complaining Disney is not investing enough in new attractions to now they are investing too much.

And people criticize me for being out of touch. Wow.

I think what people want is for Disney to invest this kind of money into something original.

MOM2FOUR

Disney will invest in what makes them the most money. That's why they are capitalizing on the Frozen franchise in as many areas as possible, especially in someplace like Epcot that's struggling to get young families to visit.

UpAllNight

Well I'm in a minority but I'll give it a chance and am very much looking forward too it. I love a good boat ride and it'll be a worthwhile ride for the next gen AAs and hopefully strong use of projection mapping and screens in the right places.

It's in the wrong location but can we get over that now because it isn't going to change. It's happening. So let's hope it's well executed and adds a strong attraction, for what it is, to the lineup.

Bocabear

Seems like if they just added the attractions that were originally planned for World Showcase, they would have no problems attracting families... and that is without having to bring in characters...Much was planned for that park that never got completed... Also an updated Imagination, and revival of something into the Wonders Of Life pavilion would be great... There were so many opportunities for them to create new attractions to bring in the young families before they needed to stoop to cartoon characters in World Showcase...

FigmentForver96

Seems like if they just added the attractions that were originally planned for World Showcase, they would have no problems attracting families... and that is without having to bring in characters...Much was planned for that park that never got completed... Also an updated Imagination, and revival of something into the Wonders Of Life pavilion would be great... There were so many opportunities for them to create new attractions to bring in the young families before they needed to stoop to cartoon characters in World Showcase...
That's the only WAY! Think of the poor poor children who are simply bored at all of the wonder and exciting countries! I mean who the heck cares where Norway is or what the culture is like! Frozen and Olaf and Sven they are soooo amazing and the ride is going to be the best thing ever! Remember Walt said that as long as there is imagination left...ok im done.

FigmentForver96

Well I'm in a minority but I'll give it a chance and am very much looking forward too it. I love a good boat ride and it'll be a worthwhile ride for the next gen AAs and hopefully strong use of projection mapping and screens in the right places.

It's in the wrong location but can we get over that now because it isn't going to change. It's happening. So let's hope it's well executed and adds a strong attraction, for what it is, to the lineup.

Thank God the entire world does not have that attitude. No you do not just "accept it". When something goes wrong or bad things happen, you say something. Yes, many here will still ride it at least once but no matter what the ride looks like on the inside, it does not change the fact that it is in the wrong spot.

MOM2FOUR

There's no way a family is going to spends hundreds of dollars to take children under 8 to World Showcase when they can take them someplace else. This a huge conglomerate company that is out to make a ton of money and whether we like or not, they won't do it at Epcot without changing it. I have a 2, 4, 6, and 9 year old and this will be the first time we've taken them to Epcot. And if it wasn't for my 9 year old, we wouldn't be going there this year. I love Epcot, it's been my favorite since I became an adult, but I'm not going to drop a bunch of money there to tote around screaming, bored kids. I grew up in the 80's when Atari and Nintendo were amazing. Kids today have iPads and smartphones, and watch amazing movies with fantastic graphics. Disney knows how to make money and that's all it's about. This Frozen ride is in exactly the right location for Disney to make a ton of money.

FigmentForver96

There's no way a family is going to spends hundreds of dollars to take children under 8 to World Showcase when they can take them someplace else. This a huge conglomerate company that is out to make a ton of money and whether we like or not, they won't do it at Epcot without changing it. I have a 2, 4, 6, and 9 year old and this will be the first time we've taken them to Epcot. And if it wasn't for my 9 year old, we wouldn't be going there this year. I love Epcot, it's been my favorite since I became an adult, but I'm not going to drop a bunch of money there to tote around screaming, bored kids. I grew up in the 80's when Atari and Nintendo were amazing. Kids today have iPads and smartphones, and watch amazing movies with fantastic graphics. Disney knows how to make money and that's all it's about. This Frozen ride is in exactly the right location for Disney to make a ton of money.
Why? Why would they not take them? Since 1982....yes 1982 adults AND CHILDREN were vastly entertained, wowed and amazed by EPCOT Center. Future World inspired generations about the future and how if they can dream it they can do it. Learning that some our best secrets were found in our past. World Showcase shows a ideal version of each country. Children and adults can experience the sound, sights, people and culture that make up great nations. Norway was always interesting because the ride went into some of the Norway myths of trolls and hidden adventures. Once guest left the ride they would often find storytellers who told the stories of Norway legends and the monsters they believed to roam the lands. So yes adults LOVED the idea of taking their children to EPCOT Center because not only did they learn, but they did it in a fun environment where they truly did discover new things but were not bored. This whole "Epcot is boring" mantra is something rabid Disney lovers throw around to defend the pathetic decisions of a company that wishes to quickly make money off of a film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom