Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Mike S

What's the ride you're talking about? Just curious.
Major Edit as I just realized what you were talking about, my bad.

The ride was King Kong. A picture of the animatronic leaked some weeks before the official reveal but it was scrubbed off the net before I saw it.
Sorry your opinion is wrong. Disney is giving the average guest what they want and since Frozen fits Norway closely enough it is a win for the masses. People power.
This same logic puts The Good Dinosaur as a perfect fit for the American Adventure or even Frontierland. "Hey, Pixar was inspired by Wyoming and the American West and there's Cowboy T-Rex's!!! What could possibly be more American?!?!?! Ben and Mark WHO?????? Down with them, they bore my kiddies!!!!!!!"

Ludicrous.
There is just really no point speculating on the photos because they are both behind the actual sets that riders will see. People are just so afraid of change that it seems like already 50% of people here will not even give it a chance, even though Maelstrom wasn't a world-class attraction beforehand.
This change would've been welcomed with open arms.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Those with so much of an inkling of passion and an understanding for the parks disagree with the location.
This is the one thing I just don't get. So many people with no regard for theme parks, who will even acknowledge as much, going on and on about how theme parks need to be more change to be more suited to them, people who don't like themed entertainment. How is that in any way a sensible concept?

ProfSavage

This is the one thing I just don't get. So many people with no regard for theme parks, who will even acknowledge as much, going on and on about how theme parks need to be more change to be more suited to them, people who don't like themed entertainment. How is that in any way a sensible concept?

I believe that's called "cognitive dissonance."

RSoxNo1

Sorry your post is wrong.

The average guest wouldn't care what park a Frozen ride is in.

Those with so much of an inkling of passion and an understanding for the parks disagree with the location.
Those that are indifferent would still subconsciously prefer it to be in a more thematically appropriate area. It's why placemaking is so important.

matt9112

But do we *really* know the reason Maelstrom has been replaced by Frozen Ever After? Do we know the actual NEED that led to this project? A fairly common assumption seems to be that it was simply to insert Frozen into the parks somewhere because the movie was popular, but I have to wonder if there was more to it than that, especially since there are other less expensive and less permanent ways to do that (for example the various Frozen-themed events etc. at DHS).

For instance, was there an operational need of some sort, such as a need to increase capacity? Even with Maelstrom's (relatively) low hourly capacity, if it was only pulling 500-600 people per hour, perhaps park operations was looking for a way to increase the numbers. (of course, they have created a capacity challenge in its place - time will tell)

Another possibility: there have been rumors that the mold build up in the building had become a potentially serious issue. Was the mold so bad that they had to rehabit the building anyway? If they needed to tear out the existing attraction (or much/most of it) putting in something new makes sense.

I understand the concerns many have about whether or not a Frozen attraction is appropriate for the Norway pavillion, but I think the answer to the question "Why are they doing this?" is a bigger one than "Frozen is popular - just shove Anna and Elsa into Norway." I think stepping back and considering the larger question and bigger picture might help gain us some perspective.

Take Care,

Lou Prosperi

You would be correct IF this was a new ride system with a capacity to match demand what Disney has done is cheaply retheme an existing attraction from the 80s with one of the worst hourly capacitys of any ride in Epcot maybe even the worst? if this was to create a truly great experience and not cramming frozen into something they would have built a new ride. Overlay or not the capacity is going to ruin this attraction....heads will roll once it opens mark my words.

Disney Analyst

You would be correct IF this was a new ride system with a capacity to match demand what Disney has done is cheaply retheme an existing attraction from the 80s with one of the worst hourly capacitys of any ride in Epcot maybe even the worst? if this was to create a truly great experience and not cramming frozen into something they would have built a new ride. Overlay or not the capacity is going to ruin this attraction....heads will roll once it opens mark my words.

Let's take the cheaply out. They have rethemed a ride yes, we have no way to assess the expense, and I certainly don't think the ride is going to look cheap or any cheaper than its predecessor.

matt9112

Let's take the cheaply out. They have rethemed a ride yes, we have no way to assess the expense, and I certainly don't think the ride is going to look cheap or any cheaper than its predecessor.

Cheaper than a new ride....hence the cheap way out. And it may look just as good but it still won't handle riders worth a damn....you took a low capacity mediocre ride and just put the most popular IP you own all over it. I don't care that it's in Norway and I don't care that it's frozen I care that they lacked the spine the build a new attraction that could handle the crowd it will draw.

This ride is the 1 car at this price on a car lot. But hey your still likely to buy a car even if you don't get the price.

jt04

Sorry your post is wrong.

The average guest wouldn't care what park a Frozen ride is in.

If World Showcase was a movie it would be from the 'silent era'.

Way past time for it to evolve.

Mike S

I really don't know how people can continue to defend Frostrom with this out there. Mind boggling really.
tds-arendelle.jpg

Tokyo DisneySea is getting a whole land with a major E Ticket that's rumored to use the same trackless technology as Mystic Manor and people are content with a reskinned 26 year old boat ride that wasn't even fully gutted and won't have what is even close to an adequate enough capacity to deal with the kind of crowds Frozen will attract. 900 people per hour. 900, people, per HOUR. Not to mention the same Frozen ride as Tokyo is rumored for Disneyland as part of an expansion of Fantasyland. The land clearing for that may have even already begun along with the clearing for Star Wars Land. It's rumored for the expansion pad labeled on this map with a little area taking over part of Toontown as well.
StarWarsExpansion-After-610x518.jpg

But sure, let's ruin Epcot some more. It's not like an amazing new Imagination could have pleased families just the same. Or the big Frozen show coming to DCA going to DHS as well. Nah, let's be happy with Frostrom.

/endrant

Cesar R M

My question in this anti-IP debate, why can't we use these characters to educate? Why can't Remy take people on a tour of Paris or Mary Poppins take people around London or Merida through the Scottish Highlands? Just because they're IP doesn't mean they can't be used well. I know Frozen is a horrible fit but IPs that clearly take place in the countries could give World Showcase a new life.
I think the majority would wish that.
But we almost always get a retelling of a popular movie than actually something different.

Cesar R M

He said that we think Walt Disney should have given up cartoons. That's a flat out lie and over exaggeration of our points to the highest degree.
I dont think he means us, but some people around here have said outright that.
Even if its kinda right (aka the fixation of current disney on over-reliance on foamheads and princesses to fill other areas of the park to make them "kid friendly" instead of actually developing the attractions to fit everyone like most of the older well done attractions by WDI).
But I dont think Walt Disney should have given up cartoons. Most of us agree that there is a place for foamheads and princesses. Its just current Disney just puts them everywhere.
Whats next? Mickey in the bathroom giving you toilet paper to make it "kid friendly" ?

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Wings?

Lol, nobody's afraid of change. What has WDW produced in the last few years that should make us feel confident that this refurb/overlay will be quality? I'm sure all the $65 cupcake parties are enough to get you excited, but some of us would like to see maximum effort for once
Worse when you consider how good the new offerings for Shangai Disneyland are. (at least the E tickets).
I just hope Avatar takes our breath with its quality.
If it fails, I dont think people will have much hope of Star Wars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom