Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Bocabear

I am not a fan of Frozenstrum because it has nothing to do with Norway, IPs can be used to good effect if they actually enhance and promote cultural understanding for the pavilion... If they left France as is but added the Remy ride in the vacant expansion pad, that would work...Remy was all about Paris...that is an example of what works... But really the world showcase is still stuck at Phase one... If they just finished out the attractions designed for the existing Pavilions, and perhaps added a few all new pavilions, that the World Showcase would feel more complete...and really IPs are not necessarily the only way to freshen up WS.
Future World is a whole other thread...lol

Mike S

I am not a fan of Frozenstrum because it has nothing to do with Norway, IPs can be used to good effect if they actually enhance and promote cultural understanding for the pavilion... If they left France as is but added the Remy ride in the vacant expansion pad, that would work...Remy was all about Paris...that is an example of what works... But really the world showcase is still stuck at Phase one... If they just finished out the attractions designed for the existing Pavilions, and perhaps added a few all new pavilions, that the World Showcase would feel more complete...and really IPs are not necessarily the only way to freshen up WS.
Future World is a whole other thread...lol
A full ride would be too much. This, imo, was the perfect way of putting Ratatouille in France.
chef-remy-at-les-chefs.jpg

Bocabear

I liked the Remy on a cheese tray....that was very cute... Adding the ride as done at Disneyland Paris could bring another restaurant (Remy's Cafe) which would allow Chefs De France to have a little more accurate French food, and Remy's would have a little more Family Friendly/whimsical menu...But seriously...The other world showcase pavilions that were supposed to have attractions from the beginning (UK, Germany, Japan)...Put the damn attractions in... Three new attractions in World Showcase ( not inluding Remy in France) would add so much capacity to the park, and really give the Magic Kingdom a little breathing room... Toy Storyland isn't going to do it...especially the value engineered version we are going to get... Wonder if they are going to dumb it down a little more still...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think a piece that's missing here as well is that all theme parks have moved towards IP based entertainment almost exclusively. Disney may have started that idea but every other park domestic and international has continued it. So customer expectation has really shifted. Look at uni... They build all IP and always will. That cats out of the bag. It's simply more profitable now that everyone is trained to be a rabid consumer of products, especially if they have our favorite character on them.
There are exceptions like Mystic Manor, but for the most part all major expenditures going forward will be IP based because it's simply proven to be the most profitable way of doing things when synergy and franchising is your bread and butter.

No mysteries at why Universal STUDIOS is movie IP based, It's right there in the name the park's whole gestalt is allowing the guest to participate in their favorite movies and cartoons. Disney historically has not been about being movie based. That's the difference.

raymusiccity

Of course they do. It's a park about IPs.

Epcot wasn't.

It has been noted before that from EPCOT's inception there have been Disney characters sprinkled throughout the park....from 'rope drop' till closing. There are lots of photos of the double decker bus loaded with characters making the rounds to remind everyone that they were at Disney World! :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It has been noted before that from EPCOT's inception there have been Disney characters sprinkled throughout the park....from 'rope drop' till closing. There are lots of photos of the double decker bus loaded with characters making the rounds to remind everyone that they were at Disney World! :)

Absolutely. I had breakfast with Mickey and Minnie in Osyssey in 1987. And for no extra charge! Imagine that.

I should have worded it better about attraction cartoon crossovers.

raymusiccity

Absolutely. I had breakfast with Mickey and Minnie in Osyssey in 1987. And for no extra charge! Imagine that.

I should have worded it better about attraction cartoon crossovers.

I don't see any harm. I don't understand all the naysayers. I remember back in the day when you'd bump into characters, just roaming free. What's the harm hearing the little ones get all excited when this goes by!

image.jpeg

phi2134

Really? Imagination, universe of energy, motion, spaceship earth are all net 0. The land is +1. Health is -1. And space replaced horizons.

Now some rides like imagination are not as good as they used to be. Am I missing any rides? Really not trying to be argumentative.
I said quality too

BrianV

I said quality too

Soarin is better than most rides, though technically it didn't replace a ride. Finding Nemo is short, but certainly better than the previous transport ride. And test track is better than "its fun to be free" (can't remember the name, but I do remember the song!) Your point is still valid, but some are better and some are not.

chiefs11

Soarin is better than most rides, though technically it didn't replace a ride. Finding Nemo is short, but certainly better than the previous transport ride. And test track is better than "its fun to be free" (can't remember the name, but I do remember the song!) Your point is still valid, but some are better and some are not.
Well, those are your opinions... When I was young I loved the hydrolaters and sea-cabs... I think the current Nemo version is just dumb. While I like test track (I preferred the previous version actually), I certainly wouldn't say it is better then World of Motion...it's a completely different experience. Horizons and World of Motion were masterpieces and we will likely never see anything like that again.

Matt_Black

I was speaking with my mother today about the trip we took back in '84. It was my mom, my grandmother, my younger brother, and myself. Now, I remember visiting EPCOT but not doing much. I had always assumed that we left early because mom and grandma figured we'd get bored. Not so. My mother today informed me that my grandmother HATED EPCOT and wanted to do more of the Magic Kingdom.

WDWFREAK53

Character integration when they make sense is perfectly fine IMO.
Take Cranium Command for instance...Buzzy was a character...and he was beloved. Why can't they do something similar with the Inside Out gang? Is Figment a "no-no" if they decide to make a movie of him?

The purpose of Epcot is "edutainment." Why can't we learn about things from the characters? Energy being taught to us from the Monsters Inc gang...considering the entire movie was centered around energy. Inside Out dealt with the problems being inside a young child.

Nemo in the Seas is no different...the difference is that they could've done something similar but kept the feel of the seabase. No pun intended but it feels watered down. The Seabase gave a sense of adventure and now that it's completely Nemo, it just feels cheap. Turtle Talk, and the actual ride are fine IMO but they could've had those in there while keeping the Seabase Alpha theme as your location.

If kids start enjoying these attractions because they're not "talking over them" like Energy did, they may actually learn something in the process...

That being said, am I for Frozen being in Norway? Nope...it doesn't fit and the whole "the architecture was based on Norwegian architecture" argument is a pretty big stretch as to it fitting into World Showcase.

Mike S

I was speaking with my mother today about the trip we took back in '84. It was my mom, my grandmother, my younger brother, and myself. Now, I remember visiting EPCOT but not doing much. I had always assumed that we left early because mom and grandma figured we'd get bored. Not so. My mother today informed me that my grandmother HATED EPCOT and wanted to do more of the Magic Kingdom.
Doesn't mean EPCOT Center has to become Magic Kingdom 2. That's the beauty of two different parks. Magic Kingdom for people who like that (and I will admit that it's the majority) and EPCOT Center for people who like what that park had to offer. Should high class restaurants dumb down their menus to McDonalds levels because it would be more popular with more people?

BrianV

Well, those are your opinions... When I was young I loved the hydrolaters and sea-cabs... I think the current Nemo version is just dumb. While I like test track (I preferred the previous version actually), I certainly wouldn't say it is better then World of Motion...it's a completely different experience. Horizons and World of Motion were masterpieces and we will likely never see anything like that again.

I assure you those are my opinions. I did always enjoy horizons and the GM ride too. (The living seas ride not so much.). Change is hard.

Matt_Black

Doesn't mean EPCOT Center had to become Magic Kingdom 2. That's the beauty of two different parks. Magic Kingdom for people who like that (and I will admit that it's the majority) and EPCOT Center for people who like what that park had to offer. Should high class restaurants dumb down their menus to McDonalds levels because it would be more popular with more people?

The fact that you use "dumb down" to refer to different tastes is a bit elitist and, quite frankly, just a bit insulting. It'd be like if I said, "I like Epcot the way it is now; why do some snobs insist on snootying the place up?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom