Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Clowd Nyne

But it's all about the Benjamins baby. And frozen is gonna sell tickets. The second and third quarters are gonna be sick this summer for Epcot.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I still see kids who like Frozen in public and will get more people to go to World Showcase.
Will it get people to go to World Showcase? Or will it get people to go to Norway pavilion then leave? For some reason, its been said repeatedly that this ride will generate interest for WS. How exactly is that suppose to happen though? The rest of WS will still be the same that it has always been. Returning guests will not find Morocco pavilion anymore stimulating after riding the Frozen attraction. Or will the Frozen attraction miraculously make a guest crave bangers and mash at England pavilion? Perhaps after seeing Olaf in Norway a person will want to buy a drum in Africa.

The only cause and effect we will see from this attraction will be an uptick in park hopper purchases.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Will it get people to go to World Showcase? Or will it get people to go to Norway pavilion then leave? For some reason, its been said repeatedly that this ride will generate interest for WS. How exactly is that suppose to happen though? The rest of WS will still be the same that it has always been. Returning guests will not find Morocco pavilion anymore stimulating after riding the Frozen attraction. Or will the Frozen attraction miraculously make a guest crave bangers and mash at England pavilion? Perhaps after seeing Olaf in Norway a person will want to buy a drum in Africa.

The only cause and effect we will see from this attraction will be an uptick in park hopper purchases.

I have a feeling people are going to eye the rest of WS as boring (well, it kinda is...) and yeah, you're spot on.

It's a slippery slope. They might as well turn the rest of WS into a cartoon happy world.

NearTheEars

I think people new to EPCOT, which Frozen just may attract in droves, will expect every pavilion to house a ride. They will quickly be disappointed and move on to The Seas with Nemo and Friends.

Kate F

I can picture it now...

You enter Epcot and grab a few park maps with Elsa on the front cover and begin to make your way over to World Showcase. Future World is for the most part deserted, minus the crowds of people flocking to Test Track and Soarin'. You start to make your way over to the Norway pavilion when all of a sudden you come across the end of a huge line that has extended all the way into Mexico. You grieve over the fact that you were unable to get a Fastpass for the ride and now you must wait in this 4+ hour line if you wish to have any chance of experiencing the new attraction. You are not looking forward to standing in a huge line in the Florida heat surrounded by a bunch of loud children wearing Anna and Elsa dresses, but you decide to put yourself through the torture anyway, as it is the newest ride on property and has been much anticipated. After a few hours of sweating and staring at your phone, you finally make it to the actual queue. The queue contains instrumental tracks from Frozen as well as some visual references to the film, and it all looks very nice. You start to think that maybe this could be worth waiting that long for after all. You are almost to the front of the line, and can see the boats being loaded and unloaded. The people being unloaded have looks on their faces telling you that you have indeed wasted your time. You hop into the boat, and soon you're off. This is the big moment, the hottest (or...coolest) attraction in Florida, the thing you just waited hours in line for. The little girls in your boat are super excited and you can't help but smile at their enjoyment. You come across animatronics of Sven, Olaf, Anna and Kristoff, and are impressed by the technology. It becomes colder and you know what is about to come. The star of the ride appears singing the famous song, and before you know it, you come towards the end of the ride where all the characters are smiling and waving at the boat. You just exit the boat with a blank expression on your face, though the little girls in your boat seemed to love it. You can't be angry, you can't be upset, you should have known what you were in for. You don't want to even think about the time you just wasted in that line, concluding your thoughts of the ride with "I guess it was cute, I probably would have enjoyed it more had I only had to wait 20 minutes." Later you decide to eat lunch in World Showcase and soon after that you decide to use your Fastpass for Test Track. You just move on with your day at Epcot and choose to forget about the frustrating experience you had earlier that day, otherwise you'd just be filled with grief. The good news is that you were able to find the perfect viewing spot for Illuminations and you took lots of pictures. The day ended up not being a total bummer after all, perhaps even the highlight of your trip. The End.

(This is just a made-up, generalized scenario I came up with, I don't think I'd ever wait over 30 minutes for this ride).

Last edited:

No Name

I am deeply concerned. Is this good for the future of World Showcase (something that is very successful right now)? No. Sure, it might make the place more "kid friendly" I guess, but it could very much disturb the integrity of the area. One of the main draws of World Showcase is the culture, the authenticity, the feeling of actually going from country to country. This Frozen push could turn quite a few types of big spenders away. There are ways to achieve kid-friendliness while keeping the theme, but that's not happening in this case. So that's not good.

But a big concern no matter how you look at it, as people have pointed out, is capacity. Maelstrom had (and the new ride will more than likely have) a theoretical hourly capacity of about 1,000 an hour. Lets say this new ride runs for 12 hours. That's 12,000 riders a day, if everything goes absolutely perfectly. More like 11,000 in reality though. Only issue is that Epcot had average crowds in 2014 of 31,380. Do you see the probelm here? Only about a third of Epcot's daily guests will be able to ride Frozenstrom. Two-thirds of guests will not get to experience it and I'd bet a good sum of money that many of those people will leave disappointed about that. Sure, two thirds of people didn't get to ride Maelstrom, but it wasn't a ride that every 4-year-old wanted to do anyway. Some kids would see the drop from the outside and be like "umm dat looks scaaary mommy." But when you have something that'll draw massive crowds like Frozen, you need a ride that can handle those crowds.

Oh, but Disney knows that most news outlets don't know or care much about capacity. The ride with the longest line must be the most popular, right?? So the ride will look more popular than it really is simply becuase it can't handle the demand. It's unfortunate that while Frozenstrom will actually be an operational failure, it'll look like a huge success to the outside world, and I really don't think Disney minds that.

HauntedMansionFLA

I
I am deeply concerned. Is this good for the future of World Showcase (something that is very successful right now)? No. Sure, it might make the place more "kid friendly" I guess, but it could very much disturb the integrity of the area. One of the main draws of World Showcase is the culture, the authenticity, the feeling of actually going from country to country. This Frozen push could turn quite a few types of big spenders away. There are ways to achieve kid-friendliness while keeping the theme, but that's not happening in this case. So that's not good.

But a big concern no matter how you look at it, as people have pointed out, is capacity. Maelstrom had (and the new ride will more than likely have) a theoretical hourly capacity of about 1,000 an hour. Lets say this new ride runs for 12 hours. That's 12,000 riders a day, if everything goes absolutely perfectly. More like 11,000 in reality though. Only issue is that Epcot had average crowds in 2014 of 31,380. Do you see the probelm here? Only about a third of Epcot's daily guests will be able to ride Frozenstrom. Two-thirds of guests will not get to experience it and I'd bet a good sum of money that many of those people will leave disappointed about that. Sure, two thirds of people didn't get to ride Maelstrom, but it wasn't a ride that every 4-year-old wanted to do anyway. Some kids would see the drop from the outside and be like "umm dat looks scaaary mommy." But when you have something that'll draw massive crowds like Frozen, you need a ride that can handle those crowds.

Oh, but Disney knows that most news outlets don't know or care much about capacity. The ride with the longest line must be the most popular, right?? So the ride will look more popular than it really is simply becuase it can't handle the demand. It's unfortunate that while Frozenstrom will actually be an operational failure, it'll look like a huge success to the outside world, and I really don't think Disney minds that.
I agree with the people concerned about the capacity of the Frozen ride. Were the details about the meet and greet area? And I mean real details. It's a lost opportunity for WDW that they didn't put Frozen over in DHS. They could have had a good dark ride with high capacity, meet and greet, place to eat and retail. DHS could have had three lands that could have appealed to a large demographic of guest. Plus, another Frozen movie is in the works, so it could crank the Frozen money machine again.

RSoxNo1

I can picture it now...

You enter Epcot and grab a few park maps with Elsa on the front cover and begin to make your way over to World Showcase. Future World is for the most part deserted, minus the crowds of people flocking to Test Track and Soarin'. You start to make your way over to the Norway pavilion when all of a sudden you come across the end of a huge line that has extended all the way into Spaceship Earth's extended queue. You grieve over the fact that you were unable to get a Fastpass for the ride and now you must wait in this 4+ hour line if you wish to have any chance of experiencing the new attraction. You are not looking forward to standing in a huge line in the Florida heat surrounded by a bunch of loud children wearing Anna and Elsa dresses, but you decide to put yourself through the torture anyway, as it is the newest ride on property and has been much anticipated. After a few hours of sweating and staring at your phone, you finally make it to the actual queue. The queue contains instrumental tracks from Frozen as well as some visual references to the film, and it all looks very nice. You start to think that maybe this could be worth waiting that long for after all. You are almost to the front of the line, and can see the boats being loaded and unloaded. The people being unloaded have looks on their faces telling you that you have indeed wasted your time. You hop into the boat, and soon you're off. This is the big moment, the hottest (or...coolest) attraction in Florida, the thing you just waited hours in line for. The little girls in your boat are super excited and you can't help but smile at their enjoyment. You come across animatronics of Sven, Olaf, Anna and Kristoff, and are impressed by the technology. It becomes colder and you know what is about to come. The star of the ride appears singing the famous song, and before you know it, you come towards the end of the ride where all the characters are smiling and waving at the boat. You just exit the boat with a blank expression on your face, though the little girls in your boat seemed to love it. You can't be angry, you can't be upset, you should have known what you were in for. You don't want to even think about the time you just wasted in that line, concluding your thoughts of the ride with "I guess it was cute, I probably would have enjoyed it more had I only had to wait 20 minutes." Later you decide to eat lunch in World Showcase and soon after that you decide to use your Fastpass for Test Track. You just move on with your day at Epcot and choose to forget about the frustrating experience you had earlier that day, otherwise you'd just be filled with grief. The good news is that you were able to find the perfect viewing spot for Illuminations and you took lots of pictures. The day ended up not being a total bummer after all, perhaps even the highlight of your trip. The End.

(This is just a made-up, generalized scenario I came up with, I don't think I'd ever wait over 30 minutes for this ride).
Minor change

Chris82

I can picture it now...

You enter Epcot and grab a few park maps with Elsa on the front cover and begin to make your way over to World Showcase. Future World is for the most part deserted, minus the crowds of people flocking to Test Track and Soarin'. You start to make your way over to the Norway pavilion when all of a sudden you come across the end of a huge line that has extended all the way into Mexico. You grieve over the fact that you were unable to get a Fastpass for the ride and now you must wait in this 4+ hour line if you wish to have any chance of experiencing the new attraction. You are not looking forward to standing in a huge line in the Florida heat surrounded by a bunch of loud children wearing Anna and Elsa dresses, but you decide to put yourself through the torture anyway, as it is the newest ride on property and has been much anticipated. After a few hours of sweating and staring at your phone, you finally make it to the actual queue. The queue contains instrumental tracks from Frozen as well as some visual references to the film, and it all looks very nice. You start to think that maybe this could be worth waiting that long for after all. You are almost to the front of the line, and can see the boats being loaded and unloaded. The people being unloaded have looks on their faces telling you that you have indeed wasted your time. You hop into the boat, and soon you're off. This is the big moment, the hottest (or...coolest) attraction in Florida, the thing you just waited hours in line for. The little girls in your boat are super excited and you can't help but smile at their enjoyment. You come across animatronics of Sven, Olaf, Anna and Kristoff, and are impressed by the technology. It becomes colder and you know what is about to come. The star of the ride appears singing the famous song, and before you know it, you come towards the end of the ride where all the characters are smiling and waving at the boat. You just exit the boat with a blank expression on your face, though the little girls in your boat seemed to love it. You can't be angry, you can't be upset, you should have known what you were in for. You don't want to even think about the time you just wasted in that line, concluding your thoughts of the ride with "I guess it was cute, I probably would have enjoyed it more had I only had to wait 20 minutes." Later you decide to eat lunch in World Showcase and soon after that you decide to use your Fastpass for Test Track. You just move on with your day at Epcot and choose to forget about the frustrating experience you had earlier that day, otherwise you'd just be filled with grief. The good news is that you were able to find the perfect viewing spot for Illuminations and you took lots of pictures. The day ended up not being a total bummer after all, perhaps even the highlight of your trip. The End.

I'd be very surprised if this isn't how it plays out. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train times ten.

RSoxNo1

I'd be very surprised if this isn't how it plays out. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train times ten.
Woah... people complained because our insiders on here presented info indicating that the budget had been cut for the ride. But there was far more enthusiasm about Seven Dwarfs Mine Train than there was about Frozen Ever After. Our complaints about Frozen Ever After have been consistent - bad thematic fit and poor capacity. I think most rational people on here expect the attraction itself to be decent, at least at Little Mermaid level.

Chris82

Woah... people complained because our insiders on here presented info indicating that the budget had been cut for the ride. But there was far more enthusiasm about Seven Dwarfs Mine Train than there was about Frozen Ever After. Our complaints about Frozen Ever After have been consistent - bad thematic fit and poor capacity. I think most rational people on here expect the attraction itself to be decent, at least at Little Mermaid level.

I'm not sure what you think I mean by comparing it to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - to be clear, I mean that it's likely to be a very long wait for a very short, cute-but-not-particularly-compelling attraction, which is how I interpreted Kate's original post.

MagicGoofy

I know Seven Dwarfs isn't great and had a lot of lost potential but if Frozen is just as good as that then it will be fine. But I heavily doubt that it will be as its going to be just an overlay. The average guest (that I have seen coming out of the train/exit) seem to be happy with 7dmt, I'll just hear a remark that its too short which is a very valid complaint.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom