Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Kate F

I think it is important for everyone to look at both the positives and the negatives of this project. It is wrong to talk nothing but hate about the attraction before it is even built, but I think it is just as wrong to defend all of the stupid decisions Disney has made with it thus far. I have decided to make a list of somewhat opinionated Pros and Cons to be more fair about the upcoming attraction.

Pros:
1. Epcot finally gets a new ride. It is a repurposing of an old ride and doesn't actually increase the ride count for the park, but it's still a new addition nonetheless.
2. I think the new facades will look very nice. They are already starting to look good from the photos I've seen.
3. It will be very popular with kids. I don't think the idea of kids enjoying it should be an excuse for everything Disney does, but I think it will be delightful to see the many happy faces of children seeing their favorite characters.
4. I think theme-wise, it fits enough. Overall, I don't really think Frozen belongs there, but I'm sure it will be well integrated into the pavilion, or at least I'm hoping.
5. We certainly know the project isn't being rushed!

Cons:
1. The location. Perhaps the most obvious flaw with this entire project. I'm not mad about it replacing Maelstrom anymore, but it still really doesn't make sense why they chose this spot. If they were trying to rush a ride for Frozen at the realization of its popularity, it could have easily gone, and should have gone, to DHS, where they already have a popular Frozen show and would not have had to overcomplicate the project by building in an existing (and small) space. I can't think of any benefits that this location offers them, besides drawing more attention to World Showcase I guess.
2. Continued over-saturation of the IP. This one is more of my personal opinion. Look, I get it, Frozen is popular, but did we really need more of it in the parks? I know a Frozen ride was going to happen somewhere eventually, but I've still had more than enough of it. I think the IP is worn out at this point, and I didn't think it was that great to begin with, but it still draws big crowds, so it is what it is.
3. The name "Frozen Ever After." Just...ugh.
4. The lines this thing is going to have...*shudders*
5. Could have had much more potential of they had just chosen to build it from scratch somewhere else. I don't think the ride is going to be bad at all, just okay, the story doesn't really excite me and there is only so much they can do with that space. But just imagine what it could be like if they had built it in MK or DHS with lots of space. Oh well...
6. I know this project is complicated, though that's their own fault, but they could still be faster.

Last edited:

Mike S

Not at all.

TDO will quantify it a success due to two hour waits, stroller hell and poor little darlings crying because they can't ride thanks to a THC of 800.
I think two hours is being generous. Looking at the app if Splash and Space Mountain are at an hour right now, two rides with a much higher capacity than this will have, I can't imagine what this will be when it opens close to summer.

rle4lunch

Malestrom actually had more drops than Pirates, and if you count the show at the end, has a similar length.

To each his own. I prefer something unique, which was what Malestrom was.

As a side note...it's been so long I honestly forgot this redo was happening. I was so much happier before. Ignorance is bliss ;)

Sorry, when I think POTC I always think of DL's version with two drops and a 15 minute ride time. I think MK's version is half that long with just one drop. although I've rode maelstrom a few times and only remember one drop and it was only around 4-5 minutes. doesn't matter though now, it's gone the way of the do-do.

Goofyernmost

I don't know if this was discussed already, but do the plans include keeping the theatre at the end of the ride?
Why would they do that? The discontinued the movie as a required part of the ride years and years ago. Besides that, the unload area is now going to be in a different location, so I think it's safe to say... No movie for you!!!

spiritofNorway

I seriously hope they do something with the sound level though...
It was quite loud in the old que-room. And the old theater and village-scene are large rooms which reflects sound quite good. Since this ride will be at 40 minutes wait-time constantly I would not stand working there for a day. Thank god for rotations every 45 minutes.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
You can tell that it is a success because the usual critics are complaining in chorus about how long it has taken, Norway is not being represented properly and WS is going to hell in a hand basket due to abject toonification.
images
Am I a critic of this? Yes. Have I accepted that its happening. Yes. I will still visit Norway pavilion and ride the attraction and hopefully enjoy it after fueling up on booze as I make my way from England pavilion. The shoehorning and the ride do not bother as much as the mindset that certain people (not saying you) have adopted towards convincing themselves that the IP belongs there due to the fact that there is a partial Norwegian inspiration in the movie.

This ride is happening. Nothing will stop it. However, This new mindset is dangerous for the future of not just WS, but for all of Epcot. As @marni1971 pointed out, TDO will claim complete success due to long lines and an overcrowded pavilion. That, coupled with the average guest accepting it will no doubt have some over-eager, unimaginative executive float the idea that it should be done in another pavilion or in Future World somewhere. While having more dark rides and character experiences are a good thing, we cant loose sight that what makes Magic Kingdom special is that it has its own identity in a special location. If it becomes spread out into Epcot it will definitely loose a bit of that magic. Fantasy can exist in Epcot, but it should be a different fantasy. One of the future, or of the world being a better place. You can argue that they can have both, but IMO it waters it down while blurring the lines of distinction between the parks.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I bumped this thread yesterday because I was going back and forth with @A foolish mortal about the "inspiration" of Frozen. Yes, Norway was an influence for clothing, mountains and architecture. I suggested that since Disney also traveled to Iowa and Canada to find inspiration that the ride would fit in Canada or America pavilion if were gonna justify it simply on the merit of influence.

Sure, Norway was a heavier influence, but not the sole influence. It was adapted from a Danish story, written by Americans, Animated in America. The language was English. Elsas ice castle was influenced by the Ice Hotel in Canada and a big chunk of the movie takes place in the castle so we actually see more of that influence they found in Canada than we realize. For arguments sake, how is Elsas ice castle less important than clothing or village design in the aspect of "the ride should go in Norway because it was an inspiration"? That doesnt mean I actually think the ride should go in Canada, but in terms of influence, one could argue so many different points it becomes ridiculous. Why werent they speaking Norwegian. None of the characters even have Norwegian accents except for the guy in Oakens trading. Why? Because it was made by Americans, not Norwegians.

Regardless of how thick I layered my sarcasm, he/she (@A foolish mortal ) only cared to consider Norway an inspiration and that I was a "stupid american" for suggesting anything else. The ride going ANYWHERE in WS is truly what is stupid.

Mike S

I bumped this thread yesterday because I was going back and forth with @A foolish mortal about the "inspiration" of Frozen. Yes, Norway was an influence for clothing, mountains and architecture. I suggested that since Disney also traveled to Iowa and Canada to find inspiration that the ride would fit in Canada or America pavilion if were gonna justify it simply on the merit of influence.

Sure, Norway was a heavier influence, but not the sole influence. It was adapted from a Danish story, written by Americans, Animated in America. The language was English. Elsas ice castle was influenced by the Ice Hotel in Canada and a big chunk of the movie takes place in the castle so we actually see more of that influence they found in Canada than we realize. For arguments sake, how is Elsas ice castle less important than clothing or village design in the aspect of "the ride should go in Norway because it was an inspiration"? That doesnt mean I actually think the ride should go in Canada, but in terms of influence, one could argue so many different points it becomes ridiculous. Why werent they speaking Norwegian. None of the characters even have Norwegian accents except for the guy in Oakens trading. Why? Because it was made by Americans, not Norwegians.

Regardless of how thick I layered my sarcasm, he/she (@A foolish mortal ) only cared to consider Norway an inspiration and that I was a "stupid american" for suggesting anything else. The ride going ANYWHERE in WS is truly what is stupid.
Then I brought up how the West was a big influence on The Good Dinosaur so clearly it should be in Frontierland, right? ;)

Kate F

It continues to make no sense to me why they chose this spot for the ride. People can debate over whether Frozen fits in Norway or not, but I'm not concerned so much with that as I am the fact that it doesn't even need to be shoehorned in there in the first place. Like I said, if they were trying to rush out a ride for Frozen when they realized how popular it was, they could have just built it from Scratch in DHS where they already have a popular show. This spot offers no benefit to them whatsoever and clearly they have made it a challenge for themselves trying to work with what they have in that building. I just don't understand what they were thinking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom