Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Rescue Ranger

HORRIBLE.Absolutely horrible. I can't believe this is actually going to be true.
What is wrong with them. I don't get it anymore. STOP taking away and ADD. Maelstrom needs to stay. It is part of Norway.

Build a Frozen area/attraction...whatever, but not this. Epcot is desperate for some refreshment. If they would only build a Frozen area..land....whatever, with an attraction as well as updating some areas of Epcot, building at least one new country and bringing back Dreamfinder & Figment, now that would be AMAZING. But no. Lets take yet something else away from Epcot.....! Keep whats classic classic and update and add what is needed. So upset over this.

And in Frozen's defence, it itself deserves better. This is cheap.

Mike S

It would serve the money-grubbin' jackasses right if this happened in Florida...

snow-tokyo-disney.jpg
That is just beautiful..........

BigTxEars

It does seem like there are many angry folks. Not sure why

Anytime you mess with a classic you mess with people memories. Not a easy thing for people to take sometimes.

I liked Maelstrom but it was never a classic ride to me, but to other it was. I would hate to see something happen to Haunted Mansion or POTC though so I can understand people's anger.

Arty Cordova

Anytime you mess with a classic you mess with people memories. Not a easy thing for people to take sometimes.

I liked Maelstrom but it was never a classic ride to me, but to other it was. I would hate to see something happen to Haunted Mansion or POTC though so I can understand people's anger.
I guess, just dont think of malestrom as one of the classics. Similar to the Donald ride in Mexico

Ranch Dressing

Maelstrom has to go. I hope they regut the whole thing and get rid of all the mold. I do feel bad fof the guy who has to cover up that beautiful mural.

But what do you expect? The wait at MK to see the Frozen ladies is longer than all the Potter attractions combined at Universal. The demand is there.

cw1982

Yes really. Is the malestrom really that amazing? I think it gives the kids one more thing to do in Epcot.

1. How do kids not have enough to do at Epcot without adding more cartoons? It's not like kids can't be interested in anything that doesn't involve Disney movies or eliminating references to cultures of real places.
2. It's not so much about Maelstrom as we know it leaving as it is about changing the theme of WS, or at least adding in elements that don't fit there. If Maelstrom was being closed for a refurbishment and was coming back as something that improves the ride while keeping the Norwegian representation in tact, I doubt the negative comments would be so prominent.

But it's not like these things haven't already been said hundreds of times over multiple threads...

And before this becomes a repeat of the other thread, I'm not saying everyone should agree on this. But I don't understand how anyone can say they don't understand why some are upset about this or act like this side of the argument has not been explained when the reasons have been stated over and over.

Last edited:

Mike S

Maelstrom has to go. I hope they regut the whole thing and get rid of all the mold. I do feel bad fof the guy who has to cover up that beautiful mural.

But what do you expect? The wait at MK to see the Frozen ladies is longer than all the Potter attractions combined at Universal. The demand is there.
So put it in Magic Kingdom where the space is available to build a big enough attraction that can meet the demand. Or in Hollywood Studios. According to @WDW1974's most recent post in his thread an attraction like the one I've described IS coming. To Tokyo.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Most people are not angry because they have some emotional attachment to the ride, they are angry be cause it is an inappropriate thing to do in World Showcase.

ryan1

Yes really. Is the malestrom really that amazing? I think it gives the kids one more thing to do in Epcot.

It doesn't matter if it is that amazing or not. The problem is instead of building something new they are taking the cheap way out and replacing an existing ride.

There really won't be anything "new" in the real sense of the word, it will just be something different. Epcot isn't gaining an attraction as the number of rides stays the same as it is now.

They should build an entirely new attraction around the film somewhere else (MGM) and do justice to the film AND please the fans of the film. By doing this they are taking something away that they don't need to and that is what is making people angry.

No one thinks that Frozen shouldn't have a ride or presence in the parks, it just needs to be somewhere else that needs the boost that Frozen will bring.

FigmentsFangirl

The time line suggests this isn't going to be a new attraction, but rather the same Malestorm attraction but themed to the Frozen movie. Personally found Malestorn rubbish, just a time pass attraction.

Very underwhelming, and a clear indication there is going to be no investment in the parks at all, if a massive hit ike Frozen can't even get a attraction. Come to think of it, even attractions like Toy Story, etc have had poor attractions.

Frozen is so massive at the moment, it should get it's own Harry Potter style land. We just have to face facts the current suits at Disney don't really have the feel for theme parks. Hopefully the next lot in will. So in the meantime all these saddos who love nostalga can remain happy, cos nothing is going to change.

This is exactly what my line of thinking is; they can use Frozen, pretty much literally make it, in the northern part of Fantasyland, north of Haunted Mansion, and the north part of TSI at MK Complete with the north part of the north island of TSI as the North Mountain, the river can be the fjords of Arendelle, and Arendelle itself can be built behind/part of New Fantasyland, only called Arendelle, not fantasyland. The only way to really do it right. I just hope they don't just use a crappy and simple backdrop like a covered window in Fairytale Hall. :banghead: Its not easy to edit the backgrounds of such images to put in the ice palace doorway >.<

Anyhow, yes this eactly is what my line of thinking is going by.

Lance

Maybe its been posted in the 32 pages before this...

But all I wanna know is.... are they going to take out the over-priced Helly Hansen jackets and ski lodge sweaters from the first gift shop after you exit Maelstrom!?!?!?

I'm assuming they'll be the first to go.

BigTxEars

Like they have with Star Wars?

Like what I think they will do with Star Wars. :) Or at least what I hope. I am not a huge SW fan, but they could do wonders with it at DHS IMO. I think a SW themed table service place would be cool.

Guests want Frozen, that is not something Disney should ignore as a for profit business. Placing a Frozen overlay on Maelstrom is a smart more. The current ride needs a refresh IMO, the setting (Norway) is correct and the cost will be less than building a entire new Frozen attraction. From an educational standpoint I think Frozen has done more (at the very least) to ensure millions of American kids know where and even that there is a Norway than anything in the last 20 years.

I am fine with the move, I can understand those who are not though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom