Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Good thing my DW surprised me with this today! She has been holding onto it for a week or so until the Frozen announcement was official.

photo (2).JPG

FigmentsFangirl

My two cents on this topic

Why Norway ? Why not just expand Fantasyland some more ? What is behind Haunted Mansion and Small World ? NOTHING, there is also nothing save for old ride and not working ride elements on the north side of Tom Sawyer Island, so why not deconstruct that area {north of the Fort on the island} and the area on the other side of the 'river' into Arendelle ? Why go with Norway ?

I'll say it is because it is already there. And should they move the meet & greet back to Norway, it'd better have a fastpass+ line. I for one, have been on Maelstrom ONCE and to be honest, I did not really enjoy it as much as I thought I would have.

I will say this though; I really like the architexture of the Norway Pavillion, if they make an ice look to it, then it makes it even cooler, but should they fully make it right out of Frozen, why not just update the entire pavillion {make it bigger} ? As it is its tiny. no courtyard space, when lines get long, they get strung out into World Showcase Promenade and cause crowding problems. What they should do is that they should first design how its going to look before doing construction. Take Arendelle's Castle directly from the film {at least the castle courtyard} plus some shops {maybe the marketplace or docks out into World Showcase Lagoon ?} and put it in there. That would, for me, make it feel more like Frozen.

Howeve I think they should have the Ice Palace for Elsa's M&G location, where she is now is kinda boring. no ice :(

I do root for this though, and am looking forwards to seeing the results

Snoopy

Knew it was coming but... ugh. This news is bumming me out a lot more than I thought it would. :(

For those of you keeping score, here are Disney's past five animated movies lined up by gross and corresponding theme park presence:

$1.2 billion: Overlay of a 25 year old boat ride, part of a parade float, summer "event".
$591 million: Bathrooms, parade float.
$471 million: Temporary themed indoor meet and greet.
$267 million: Permanent un-themed outdoor meet and greet, part of a parade float.
$44 million: Zilch, not even a freshening up of the already-existing dark ride.

I wonder how much one of these films would have to gross to get an actual new attraction.

Cesar R M

My husband asked what the general response was on this thread. I told him that most (please note the use of the word "most") established members of this forum were aghast at this idea, but that several new members no one had heretofore encountered seemed to believe it was the most awesome thing ever. Coincidence?
probably Disney paid PR guys, they're trying their best to make the general population that somehow this move is "good".

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Knew it was coming but... ugh. This news is bumming me out a lot more than I thought it would. :(

For those of you keeping score, here are Disney's past five animated movies lined up by gross and corresponding theme park presence:

$1.2 billion: Overlay of a 25 year old boat ride, part of a parade float, summer "event".
$591 million: Bathrooms, parade float.
$471 million: Temporary themed indoor meet and greet.
$267 million: Permanent un-themed outdoor meet and greet, part of a parade float.
$44 million: Zilch, not even a freshening up of the already-existing dark ride.

I wonder how much one of these films would have to gross to get an actual new attraction.
No idea, but 2.8 billion gets you a whole land.

Cesar R M

Finally! Not exactly the announcement we are all waiting for... But it's at least something! This also paves the way for other animated titles to make their way into WS without being thematically out of place, such as Ratatouille in France. I know this idea is unpopular here, but EPCOT needs whatever it can get.

going as fast as to say "EPCOT needed whatever it can get" just shows how awful things are in TDO.
I really wish Lesseter could just punch Rasulo and Co to outer space and fix the parks in the way they should be.
And not the Wall Street wet dream it is becoming.

Cesar R M

My two cents on this topic

Why Norway ? Why not just expand Fantasyland some more ? What is behind Haunted Mansion and Small World ? NOTHING, there is also nothing save for old ride and not working ride elements on the north side of Tom Sawyer Island, so why not deconstruct that area {north of the Fort on the island} and the area on the other side of the 'river' into Arendelle ? Why go with Norway ?

I'll say it is because it is already there. And should they move the meet & greet back to Norway, it'd better have a fastpass+ line. I for one, have been on Maelstrom ONCE and to be honest, I did not really enjoy it as much as I thought I would have.

I will say this though; I really like the architexture of the Norway Pavillion, if they make an ice look to it, then it makes it even cooler, but should they fully make it right out of Frozen, why not just update the entire pavillion {make it bigger} ? As it is its tiny. no courtyard space, when lines get long, they get strung out into World Showcase Promenade and cause crowding problems. What they should do is that they should first design how its going to look before doing construction. Take Arendelle's Castle directly from the film {at least the castle courtyard} plus some shops {maybe the marketplace or docks out into World Showcase Lagoon ?} and put it in there. That would, for me, make it feel more like Frozen.

Howeve I think they should have the Ice Palace for Elsa's M&G location, where she is now is kinda boring. no ice :(

I do root for this though, and am looking forwards to seeing the results
Probably the reasons are:
A) Epcot needs more visitors fast. the food and wine festivals clearly aren't enough.
B) Too expensive to build something big/good on EPCOT (for Wallstreet creamies, aka Mr. Rasulo and co).
C) The success of the cheap DHS's "Frozen Summer" made them think they could draw huge crowds thanks to Frozen, into anywhere they wanted.. not mattering how cheap it is.
D) using the recipe of " Toss Frozen ride into Epcot to attract little kids still stuck with Frozen and thus force the parents in to Epcot" was 1+1=2 for Wall Street creamies.

wdwfan4ver

My own thoughts are this isn't a shock and is a bad idea at the same time.

I liked the way Mexico has the Three Caballeros because it actually shows them in different locations in including Donald in Mexico. Disney didn't use the Three Caballeros for a movie ride unlike what happened to the living seas.

Based on the information Disney given, it sounds like Maelstrom is going to be turned into a movie ride based on Frozen due to the scenes and music being in the ride. Movie Rides is made for Magic Kingdom or DHS if needed.

My other problems is Frozen Ride in World Showcase and Meet and Greet equals more guests than the area can handle since they are not using land in World Showcase that can be used for an expansion.

Cesar R M

Well, the facebook page comments aren't being deleted and I haven't seen too much "good" yet. There are a ton of "likes" for it, but the comments are not pretty.
Pretty sure its a bit harder to delete comments in Facebook than in a self owned and contained blog.
Plus they can take screenshots of the deleted comments and post them again... in a self contained blog they can ban and put moderation mode easily to filter anything.

JordanNite

The time line suggests this isn't going to be a new attraction, but rather the same Malestorm attraction but themed to the Frozen movie. Personally found Malestorn rubbish, just a time pass attraction.

Very underwhelming, and a clear indication there is going to be no investment in the parks at all, if a massive hit ike Frozen can't even get a attraction. Come to think of it, even attractions like Toy Story, etc have had poor attractions.

Frozen is so massive at the moment, it should get it's own Harry Potter style land. We just have to face facts the current suits at Disney don't really have the feel for theme parks. Hopefully the next lot in will. So in the meantime all these saddos who love nostalga can remain happy, cos nothing is going to change.

Last edited:

mousehockey37

The time line suggests this isn't going to be a new attraction, but rather the same Malestorm attraction but themed to the Frozen movie.

Very underwhelming, and a clear indication there is going to be no investment in the parks at all, if a massive hit ike Frozen can't even get a attraction. Come to think of it, even attractions like Toy Story, etc have had poor attractions.

Frozen is so massive at the moment, it should get it's own Harry Potter style land. We just have to face facts the suits at Disney don't really have the feel for theme parks. Hopefully the next lot in will.

Apparently the phrase of "You have to spend money, to make money" doesn't work with WDW.

All in all, with new movies coming out multiple times a year with more and more characters, Disney is obviously running out of room to put them places. Instead of doing the obvious and opening the 5th gate, where they could expand and have room for these new characters and lands, they are going the cheaper route and finding places where they can just do a quicker, cheaper overhaul and, as others have said, when it dies off, they can (if they want) change it back to what it used to be if they want to.

ETA: There are a lot of other things in WDW that need some TLC. I understand they want to give Frozen the ride or whatnot, but how about improving the other things that have been around that need it first?

Tom Morrow

Apparently the phrase of "You have to spend money, to make money" doesn't work with WDW.

All in all, with new movies coming out multiple times a year with more and more characters, Disney is obviously running out of room to put them places. Instead of doing the obvious and opening the 5th gate, where they could expand and have room for these new characters and lands, they are going the cheaper route and finding places where they can just do a quicker, cheaper overhaul and, as others have said, when it dies off, they can (if they want) change it back to what it used to be if they want to.

ETA: There are a lot of other things in WDW that need some TLC. I understand they want to give Frozen the ride or whatnot, but how about improving the other things that have been around that need it first?
They don't even need a 5th gate when DAK and DHS are still to this day underdeveloped parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom