Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Cesar R M

Apparently the phrase of "You have to spend money, to make money" doesn't work with WDW.

All in all, with new movies coming out multiple times a year with more and more characters, Disney is obviously running out of room to put them places. Instead of doing the obvious and opening the 5th gate, where they could expand and have room for these new characters and lands, they are going the cheaper route and finding places where they can just do a quicker, cheaper overhaul and, as others have said, when it dies off, they can (if they want) change it back to what it used to be if they want to.

ETA: There are a lot of other things in WDW that need some TLC. I understand they want to give Frozen the ride or whatnot, but how about improving the other things that have been around that need it first?
Have they really done the "changed it back" on things that dont work?
Dont they just close and raze these attractions to the ground , then claim "they're too costly and outdated"?

lazyboy97o

“Disneyland is something that will never be finished. It’s something that I can keep developing. It will be a live, breathing thing that will need change. A picture is a thing, once you wrap it up and turn it over to Technicolor, you’re through. Snow White is a dead issue with me. But I can change the park, because it’s alive.”
Blah blah blah. Maybe Anna and Elsa should be added to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

I understand where everyone is coming from as far as being upset about cartoons in the Disney countries but did anybody ever stop to think that maybe this is a way to get more kids interested in actually coming to the countries section of the park? This way there is something there for the kids to enjoy as well as maybe learn something new. What if there was a video at Norway where Elsa, Anna, and Olaf were the hosts and they educate guests about other cities in Norway that actually exist? I guarantee alot more kids will sit and watch with them as hosts. When people come on vacation, especially kids they want to have fun and they don't want to be educated because that is the whole point of not being in school. As far as replacing malestorm, umm it features trolls which don't really exist and are part of the folklore of that region of the world. Guess what mythical creatures are featured as part of Frozen? Trolls!!! Yet people say this does not make sense...Really? Another point that people make is the wait time. Well the average wait time at Princess Fairy Tale Hall for Anna and Elsa is pretty much the longest in any of the parks. Therefore Disney is actually being smart in recognizing that they need another meet and greet location for these particular characters. Norway actually makes a lot of sense, especially given that there are other princesses that they can meet around the World Showcase. Personally if I were a parent I would much rather take them to the World Showcase to visit them than I would Magic Kingdom because of the crowds. Finally since apparently this rennovation is going to take a while...if anyone has watched the bonus features of Frozen there is an attraction that was in the works with a model for a movie that Walt thought about producing called "The Snow Queen". So if you are looking for concept art you might want to check that out. From what I saw it looked pretty epic and awesome. Sorry its so long but I thought this thread definetely needed some positive feedback..
These lame excuses have been trotted out plenty. The idea is creatively bankrupt.

minsmk

Matthew from PA on September 12th, 2014 at 1:45 pm
"Very excited to see a Frozen attraction coming soon. Any details on what it will be (is it still a boat ride of the same length?). Also, I’m curious on how the story of Norway will be represented in the attraction. World showcase to me has always been about portraying the background, culture and history of the country it represents. Even the updated boat ride in Mexico that introduced the Three Cabelleros kept the idea of visiting the actual Mexico as part of the storyline.

1b9637f2d7b7c7e92e74b48af1600518

Tom Staggs on September 12th, 2014 at 6:26 pm
We’re excited for the Frozen attraction, too, Matthew. While we
don’t want to give away the whole show, we’re well aware that what
people love most about Frozen are its heartwarming story, the wonderful
characters the film brought to life, and the amazing music throughout
the film. The attraction is designed to let guests experience and
immerse themselves in all those key elements. And we think it’s a
natural fit to locate the Frozen attraction at Epcot’s Norway Pavilion,
which showcases the country that helped inspire the film."

Oh look at you beating around the bush, Tom..

So he's pretty much saying that there is going to be NO Norwegian culture anymore.. HOW NICE.

I guess we have to welcome the stupid snow princesses..

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Apparently the phrase of "You have to spend money, to make money" doesn't work with WDW.

That's because it isn't true. Spending money may make it easier to make money, but you do t always have to. I have a business set up that makes money with virtually no spending. Works very well.

JordanNite

The time line suggests this isn't going to be a new attraction, but rather the same Malestorm attraction but themed to the Frozen movie. Personally found Malestorn rubbish, just a time pass attraction.
Very underwhelming, and a clear indication there is going to be no investment in the parks at all, if a massive hit ike Frozen can't even get a attraction. Come to think of it, even attractions like Toy Story, etc have had poor attractions.

Frozen is so massive at the moment, it should get it's own Harry Potter style land. We just have to face facts the current suits at Disney don't really have the feel for theme parks. Hopefully the next lot in will. So in the meantime all these saddos who love nostalga can remain happy, cos nothing is going to change.

Cesar R M

That's because it isn't true. Spending money may make it easier to make money, but you do t always have to. I have a business set up that makes money with virtually no spending. Works very well.
Hang on, are you saying you never expend money on:

a) Your education
b) the company set up (including IT, physical stuff, buildings, space..etc..)
c) the product presentation and display
d) product movement (purchasing, selling , renting..etc..)

If you did any of these.. you already had to "spend" money to get money.

Captain Neo

Matthew from PA on September 12th, 2014 at 1:45 pm
"Very excited to see a Frozen attraction coming soon. Any details on what it will be (is it still a boat ride of the same length?). Also, I’m curious on how the story of Norway will be represented in the attraction. World showcase to me has always been about portraying the background, culture and history of the country it represents. Even the updated boat ride in Mexico that introduced the Three Cabelleros kept the idea of visiting the actual Mexico as part of the storyline.

Oh look at you beating around the bush, Tom..

So he's pretty much saying that there is going to be NO Norwegian culture anymore.. HOW NICE.

I guess we have to welcome the stupid snow princesses..

......that's the worst pr response I've ever seen. It's like disney doesn't even care anymore

SpaceMountain77

Oh, what complete and utter nonsense. What is left of the pavilion that showcases the country? It has been years since Akershus served a traditional fare. The Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe menu has been scaled back. Authentic Norwegian merchandise offerings, in the shops, have significantly dwindled. Now, Maelstrom is becoming a journey to Arendelle.

Mr. Staggs, which part of the Norway Pavilion specifically showcases Norway?

champdisney

Honestly, Gran Fiesta Tour and Nemo and Friends were already the stepping stones as to what was to come in terms of the new direction Epcot was going in. I would'nt be surprised that in a few years from now, Disney announces a rebranded version of World Showcase titled "Infinity Showcase" as a marketing strategy to promote Disney Infinity. Disney goes by what's selling, it obviously explains the Frozen frenzy.

BigTxEars

I am excited, seems I am out numbered :)

I am looking forward to seeing what they will do with the characters and story as well as the setting. It's a huge license for them, I would guess they will put their best foot forward with this.

I can understand those folks who are ed about this though.

If nothing else that lame queue will be replaced with a new one, and based on the recent Disney queue areas it should be awesome.

The lines are going to be insane, poor Norway is going to get slammed again like with the M&G crowds. We have ADRs in Jan at Norway, might be out last meal there for a while :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom