Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

G00fyDad

duck-dynasty-cast__130813194923-575x383.jpg

I don't see anything here. Are they hiding?

Matt_Black

2.I saw a snowman and a snow monster in that movie. One could argue that it was a troll, but thats a bit of a stretch. I'd say that would be more of a gollem than a troll. Especially if you want to compare it to the traditional Norwegian troll.

No, those were not trolls. I grant you that. They were magical constructs with sentience. I'm talking about the living rock people that Kristoff hung out with, who are repeatedly referred to as trolls.

NearTheEars

I can not stress enough that this post is not a response of anger or trying to say your a Frozen fan and Im gonna convince you that your wrong. Im just making a counter point to that article and its pictures.:)

Here are a few photos from Siberia.

View attachment 82158

View attachment 82160
View attachment 82161

They look just like what we see in Frozen. So I guess the movie also could come out and say: Yes this is Siberia? Im just posting this to show that even though Norway did inspire some aspects of the movie, a few pictures that show similar landscapes does not justify that a pavilion meant to display cultural aspects of a real place (Norway), should be considered to be the same as a fictional land in a fairy tale about two sisters overcoming adversity.

Frozen was 99% about a girl with magical powers who froze her kingdom and then her sister has to find her and help her control her ability to unfreeze their land. How does that in any way represent the culture of a real place such as Norway? Because buildings look similar? Because there was a reindeer? Because Annas dress looks Norwegian? Yes, there are similar aspects and Disney traveled to Norway, but they also traveled to Canada and Wyoming and used them as inspiration as well. Again, Im not saying you are trying to prove anything with that article so please dont take my post as some type of attack. Its not. Just saying that its easy to make a connection if a person is willing to accept similarities as being the exact same thing. Frozen takes place in Siberia. Here is an ice castle in Russia that was by the handiwork of an empress named.....Anna! (seriously, it was). Frozen is Russia!

View attachment 82162

I agree with everything you say. It's just they publicized that they specifically went to Norway in order to come up with the look and feel of the film. They even created an exhibit in the Stave church about this. So they went out of their way to show and publicize the Norway connection. Again, that's nothing we all don't know already.

Definitely don't see your post as an attack. Just point, counterpoint.

And we both basically still agree a Frozen ride should, and really deserves to be somewhere other than World Showcase.

And America is more than Duck Dynasty, but Duck Dynasty is all that really counts, right?

duck-dynasty-cast__130813194923-575x383.jpg

And technically, the best guesstimate of Arendelle's actual location would be Lapland. Which covers the northern sections of Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Russia.

And to be quite honest, based on the content of the film, the time frame would be before Norway was officially a country. They were united, but without a constitution. This would have been during Feudal times. Arendelle would have been a city state that pays taxes to the union, but that was mostly for military protection. No one would have considered it a "Country". So there wouldn't be mention of Norway or a Norwegian flag or anything.

Please remember that Hans Christian Andersen was a HUGE proponent of ONE SCANDANAVIA, not xenophobia.

DisDan

This thread is largely a debate over how people feel about Frozen moving into WS and how it does not belong and how this signals the end of EPCOT as we knew it. Although many argue that the "End" of EPCOT has been underway for some time now. None the less, as I have contributed the pointless debates in this thread, at this time I think it best we simply try and keep discussions in here about the NEW Ride and additions to the Pavillion. Just seems like a waste of time and energy to continue to debate this when it is happening whether we like it or not.

DisDan

plus new people who just joined, went all "lol, best thing ever!" again.

Not trying to argue here, but I don't see the harm in letting them have their opinion, if that's how they feel. Problem is, it seems every time someone chimes in with good feelings about this project there are a select set of individuals in here who will do their darnedest to try and bring them down.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
This thread is largely a debate over how people feel about Frozen moving into WS and how it does not belong and how this signals the end of EPCOT as we knew it. Although many argue that the "End" of EPCOT has been underway for some time now. None the less, as I have contributed the pointless debates in this thread, at this time I think it best we simply try and keep discussions in here about the NEW Ride and additions to the Pavillion. Just seems like a waste of time and energy to continue to debate this when it is happening whether we like it or not.
As its been pointed out numerous times, this is a discussion board. Not all people look at the debates as pointless. These discussions create awareness. No one is stopping you from discussing the NEW ride, nor is anyone telling you what should be discussed or what they think is a waste of time and energy. It makes for a hell of a better time when people can speak their minds (whether its for or against) rather than everybody agreeing and discussing the same thing, or one person telling people what to discuss. What would be the point? Go to the DPB if you want controlled homogeneous discussion.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Not trying to argue here, but I don't see the harm in letting them have their opinion, if that's how they feel. Problem is, it seems every time someone chimes in with good feelings about this project there are a select set of individuals in here who will do their darnedest to try and bring them down.
Bring them down? If a person says 'I love it', how is that any different than a person saying, 'I disagree with it'? They are just opinions and emotions. There is no right or wrong. The back and forth has predominately been about the thematic issues. I have yet to see any one attempt to bring anybody down. It just so happens that more people disagree with the notion of 'Frozen is Norway'. Or at least more people that feel that way speak up. That does not mean its an attack. People on either side state why they feel it is or is not a fit and attempt to prove it. Again, not attacks.

ETA: This just my opinion but it seems as if the people in favor of Frozen being about Norway are the ones who usually call foul, name call, or say they are getting attacked. They are always the victim.

Last edited:

DisDan

Bring them down? If a person says 'I love it', how is that any different than a person saying, 'I disagree with it'? They are just opinions and emotions. There is no right or wrong. The back and forth has predominately been about the thematic issues. I have yet to see any one attempt to bring anybody down. It just so happens that more people disagree with the notion of 'Frozen is Norway'. Or at least more people that feel that way speak up. That does not mean its an attack.

I agree with you on this, but it does seem like sometimes if a post says something positive about this change. The immediate reaction by some is to question it and post a counter opinion in an effort to try and invalidate the opinion. Not everyone that posts a comment about something in a forum does so in an effort to get into a debate on the subject.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I agree with you on this, but it does seem like sometimes if a post says something positive about this change. The immediate reaction by some is to question it and post a counter opinion in an effort to try and invalidate the opinion. Not everyone that posts a comment about something in a forum does so in an effort to get into a debate on the subject.
And nobody forces them to respond. They chose to respond. They can also choose to leave the discussion.

Cesar R M

Its a discussion board as wdisney9000 said, if you post.. you will meet people who DO NOT AGREE with your opinion.
If you really cant stand other's opinions.. maybe you should stick to nothing-but-censored-good type board like Disney's own blog.

JohnD

There are several factors going on here:
1. Disney has oversaturated its parks with Frozen to the point that people who otherwise enjoyed the movie alone are now sick of it.
2. The premise of Epcot and World Showcase is being turned upside down by putting a ride based on a fictional country inside a pavillion for a real country.

If WDW re-themed, say, MK's Little Mermaid to Frozen, I don't think nearly as many people would be upset about it. It's a fictional story inside a park filled with fictional characters. Still, I can imagine people who would be upset about the retheming of Little Mermaid.

I think the best solution that most might be okay with would have been to keep Maelstrom, or at least refurb/update/upgrade it, and then build the separate building as they are now for Anna and Elsa meet and greet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom