Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

sedati

1.Pretty sure frozen had no vikings or norse mythology in it.
There is a model of a Viking longboat in Elsa's bedroom.
Or perhaps it's a just a Danish longboat.
Or perhaps their whole family (who are all 100% Danish of course) are some sort of crazed Norweigian lifestylers who have modeled their entire culture, clothing, architecture, etc. to emulate their most favoritest troll-dusted vacation destination making Arendelle a slice of Norway in Denmark. This means that Arendelle is not at all true Norweigian, but in fact an miniature post-card version of Norway in a foreign land- much like a World Showcase pavilion.

Matt_Black

Well, now, you bring up a good point. Over 1500 years or so, Norway and Denmark have had a bit of cultural crossover with one another, so where's the line? For example, Aquavit is one of the many fine adult beverages to be had in the Norway pavilion. It was invented in Denmark, according to tradition.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
There is a model of a Viking longboat in Elsa's bedroom.
Or perhaps it's a just a Danish longboat.
Or perhaps their whole family (who are all 100% Danish of course) are some sort of crazed Norweigian lifestylers who have modeled their entire culture, clothing, architecture, etc. to emulate their most favoritest troll-dusted vacation destination making Arendelle a slice of Norway in Denmark. This means that Arendelle is not at all true Norweigian, but in fact an miniature post-card version of Norway in a foreign land- much like a World Showcase pavilion.
Ya, there is a model of a boat in Elsas bedroom, so that means that Arendelle thematically fits in Norway pavilion! I had a poster of Pele in my bedroom when I was a kid and I also had a Brazil jersey. That means I am from Brazil, right?

sedati

Ya, there is a model of a boat in Elsas bedroom, so that means that Arendelle thematically fits in Norway pavilion! I had a poster of Pele in my bedroom when I was a kid and I also had a Brazil jersey. That means I am from Brazil, right?
Well, the comparative point to Frozen/Norway would be if you had the poster, the jersey, and EVERYTHING ELSE- all clothing, art, language, decor, architecture, and even landscape that was indicative of Brazil, but you actually lived in Georgia and we were all fools for mistaking you for a citizen of Brazil.

NearTheEars

Conde Nast Put together this slideshow outlining the Norway/Frozen connections. It's nothing no one in this thread already doesn't know, just the stuff that's being blinded by the anger over the rides placement.

If they were to build an Arrendale pavilion directly next to the Norway pavillion, they would likely look identical. From the landscape, to the dress, to the architecture and the troll mythology, the film basically did everything but come out and say: Yes this is Norway.

As I say in most of my posts in this thread: RIP Maelstrom. It was one of my favorites. :(
A Frozen ride would be better suited in the MK.

http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2014-11-02/places-in-norway-that-inspired-disneys-frozen/1

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I always chalk it up to a new member who probly only read the last 2 pages of the thread and assumed they would be the first person to post, "you guys should relax", "get over it", or my personal fav, "the kids will love it". What cracks me up is that they believe the people against this are in some way furious and we are at home smashing our keyboard and cursing Disney. lol.

They are the exact type of customer that Disney drools over because they know these people will lie down and take whatever TWDC steamrolls over them and then gladly pay for more. Anybody who simply tries to explain this is wrong because everything from the budget, the location, the timing, the (lack of PROPER) theme, and the notion that this blurs the lines of distinction between theme parks is called everything from a hater to a doom and gloomer. Funny how the people who care about the integrity of what made WDW great are the ones who are crazy, not the people who feel that a short dark ride slammed into the wrong place is the future of Epcot just because its being done quickly and their kids are bored with not seeing enough cartoon characters.

You should relax. The kids will love it. Besides, Norway is Frozen!

That's right. The Norwegian government keeps the troll population in line with hunters and for the really big ones, electrical fences that just look like powerlines.

Trollhunter is a great movie.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Well, now, you bring up a good point. Over 1500 years or so, Norway and Denmark have had a bit of cultural crossover with one another, so where's the line? For example, Aquavit is one of the many fine adult beverages to be had in the Norway pavilion. It was invented in Denmark, according to tradition.

There shouldn't be any line. Cartoons all the way. Next, let's do American Adventure as Carsland. Carsland is cool and takes place in the USA with references to things like Route 66. Plus, who knows about Benjamin Lincoln and Mark Jefferson and all those guys that haven't been in a recent cartoon movie smash hit. Plus, it has vrooms vrooms which yanks love. Next, let us build San Fransyoko or whatever the hell it is called between Japan and the USA and I hope Disney makes a Japanese animated film since I don't think Japan makes any animated films of their own. The whole Italian pavilion screams out for a giant Pinocchio. They'll build Greece for Hercules. Move the flying carpets to Morocco. At least I could walk through Adventureland again. Man, I can't wait.

Cesar R M

There shouldn't be any line. Cartoons all the way. Next, let's do American Adventure as Carsland. Carsland is cool and takes place in the USA with references to things like Route 66. Plus, who knows about Benjamin Lincoln and Mark Jefferson and all those guys that haven't been in a recent cartoon movie smash hit. Plus, it has vrooms vrooms which yanks love. Next, let us build San Fransyoko or whatever the hell it is called between Japan and the USA and I hope Disney makes a Japanese animated film since I don't think Japan makes any animated films of their own. The whole Italian pavilion screams out for a giant Pinocchio. They'll build Greece for Hercules. Move the flying carpets to Morocco. At least I could walk through Adventureland again. Man, I can't wait.

WP6CeWk.gif

George, after reading this post.. I'm unsure if I should applaud you for the amazing trollish you did in this post.. or outright strangle you hulk-hogan style.

Steel City Magic

A) Because Norway is nothing but vikings.
B) Did you not see the trolls in the movie?
C) There were also Nordic runes on the king & queen's tombstones.
1.I was quoting the original poster.
2.I saw a snowman and a snow monster in that movie. One could argue that it was a troll, but thats a bit of a stretch. I'd say that would be more of a gollem than a troll. Especially if you want to compare it to the traditional Norwegian troll.
3. Runes you say? Celtic, Norweigan, made up or other? I'm not an expert on acient runes in movies, if you are I'd love to be educated...

Last edited:

Steel City Magic

Dear god, this.
It makes just as much sense.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Conde Nast Put together this slideshow outlining the Norway/Frozen connections. It's nothing no one in this thread already doesn't know, just the stuff that's being blinded by the anger over the rides placement.

If they were to build an Arrendale pavilion directly next to the Norway pavillion, they would likely look identical. From the landscape, to the dress, to the architecture and the troll mythology, the film basically did everything but come out and say: Yes this is Norway.

As I say in most of my posts in this thread: RIP Maelstrom. It was one of my favorites. :(
A Frozen ride would be better suited in the MK.

http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2014-11-02/places-in-norway-that-inspired-disneys-frozen/1
I can not stress enough that this post is not a response of anger or trying to say your a Frozen fan and Im gonna convince you that your wrong. Im just making a counter point to that article and its pictures.:)

Here are a few photos from Siberia.

images.jpg

buryat-republic-landscape.jpg

images (1).jpg

They look just like what we see in Frozen. So I guess the movie also could come out and say: Yes this is Siberia? Im just posting this to show that even though Norway did inspire some aspects of the movie, a few pictures that show similar landscapes does not justify that a pavilion meant to display cultural aspects of a real place (Norway), should be considered to be the same as a fictional land in a fairy tale about two sisters overcoming adversity.

Frozen was 99% about a girl with magical powers who froze her kingdom and then her sister has to find her and help her control her ability to unfreeze their land. How does that in any way represent the culture of a real place such as Norway? Because buildings look similar? Because there was a reindeer? Because Annas dress looks Norwegian? Yes, there are similar aspects and Disney traveled to Norway, but they also traveled to Canada and Wyoming and used them as inspiration as well. Again, Im not saying you are trying to prove anything with that article so please dont take my post as some type of attack. Its not. Just saying that its easy to make a connection if a person is willing to accept similarities as being the exact same thing. Frozen takes place in Siberia. Here is an ice castle in Russia that was by the handiwork of an empress named.....Anna! (seriously, it was). Frozen is Russia!

st-petersburg-russia-ice-castles-500x375.jpg

Disneyhead'71

Ah yes, trolls are indicative of the Nordic culture since there's so many trolls roaming around in Norway.

It's sad that Thor would fit better in Norway than Frozen due to its portrayal of Norse mythology.

Also, Norway is more than just Vikings...
And America is more than Duck Dynasty, but Duck Dynasty is all that really counts, right?

duck-dynasty-cast__130813194923-575x383.jpg

And technically, the best guesstimate of Arendelle's actual location would be Lapland. Which covers the northern sections of Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Russia.

And to be quite honest, based on the content of the film, the time frame would be before Norway was officially a country. They were united, but without a constitution. This would have been during Feudal times. Arendelle would have been a city state that pays taxes to the union, but that was mostly for military protection. No one would have considered it a "Country". So there wouldn't be mention of Norway or a Norwegian flag or anything.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
1.I was quoting the original poster.
2.I saw a snowman and a snow monster in that movie. One could argue that it was a troll, but thats a bit of a stretch. I'd say that would be more of a gollem than a troll. Especially if you want to compare it to the traditional Norwegian troll.
3. Runes you say? Celtic, Norweigan, made up or other? I'm not an expert on acient runes in movies, if you are I'd love to be educated...
They are Old Norse.

https://tattuinardoelasaga.wordpress.com/2014/03/26/the-runes-and-old-norse-in-disneys-frozen/

https://lingaspect.wordpress.com/2014/03/13/deciphering-the-runes-book-in-frozen/

https://lingaspect.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/runes-on-king-queen-of-arendelles-gravestones/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom