Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Monkee Girl

I wanted to come in and add some firsthand experience from Sunday that adds likely 0 new information to the discussion and has likely already been noted in the past 10 pages or so. You know, because that is how these kinds of threads work.

I was able to get one last ride on Maelstrom on Sunday, around 3pm. Both the standby line and FP+ lines were back past the entrance to Akershus. Standby was listed at 75 minutes at that point in time.
There was a brief moment when we were outside in line that someone was able to put up a sign in the center window above the entry doors (and attraction sign) that read #savemaelstrom. It was dropped quickly, I'm guessing someone was seen doing it. I didn't see the sign return while I was outside. Our group of us WDWMagic folk all had FP+, so we cruised through the line fairly quickly.

Inside, nearly every person was taking pictures of everything (myself included). The signs, the flags, the boats, the murals, the people. The CMs were posing for pictures in the unload area.

The ride itself was what it always has been. A middling attraction that was an odd mix of reality and fantasy. I snapped a few ride photos that are not very good. We all sat down and stayed through the end of the film, and then watched the entire thing on the next loop. That was always my favorite part of that attraction. Wow was it well outdated. That was one heck of a computer that dude was working on.

We all stopped back by the pavilion on our way out, around 10pm, as we were slowly wandering around a mostly empty WS taking pictures and enjoying a post-meal stroll. The group outside was gathered, the doors were closed, and the last few ride cycles were running. I'm not sure if they were the CM rides, or the last of the guests. We took some pictures and moved along, not joining the group of people hanging around doing whatever it is they were doing outside the closed doors.

It was kind of odd to be hit with some of the feelings of loss and nostalgia that I had, based on the fact that I had no real love for the attraction. Maybe it was making up for not being at all the closings of attractions at Epcot that I really loved, like Horizons, WoM, The Living Seas, Journey into Imagination. Maybe it was knowing that it's being Frozen-afied (talked to a lady and her daughter on the way out of the film after her girl literally cringed when someone started jokingly singing Let It Go, she said her girl usually loves the film, but has recently become very sick of it). Maybe it was the beers and pitcher of sangria.

I feel bad for the Norway pavilion for the next couple of years. Nobody is going to stop there. It's going to go from one day of massive popularity to a couple years of ghost town.

View attachment 68677

What a great post and thanks for sharing your day. I won't be going back until April so didn't get a chance to ride one last time.

I really do think the decision was a rushed thoughtless one. The only one over hyping Frozen is Disney themselves. Do kids like it? yea as much as they liked Tangled and all that. But in a few years, it will be replaced with something else. Not saying Frozen is going away, it is part of the Disney films so should have a place in the parks. but the Powers that be should have just kept it in the Studios for now until they could plan something (a show, ride, whatever) appropriately.

I know I am curious to see what will be happening in the Pavilion when I go there. It would have been nice if they at least added some sort of entertainment to make up for the loss of the ride.

aladdin2007

What a great post and thanks for sharing your day. I won't be going back until April so didn't get a chance to ride one last time.

I really do think the decision was a rushed thoughtless one. The only one over hyping Frozen is Disney themselves. Do kids like it? yea as much as they liked Tangled and all that. But in a few years, it will be replaced with something else. Not saying Frozen is going away, it is part of the Disney films so should have a place in the parks. but the Powers that be should have just kept it in the Studios for now until they could plan something (a show, ride, whatever) appropriately.

I know I am curious to see what will be happening in the Pavilion when I go there. It would have been nice if they at least added some sort of entertainment to make up for the loss of the ride.

Anyone been there yesterday or today or spoken with cast? I imagine its a ghost town just about. I'll be there tomorrow but not looking forward to it I have to say.

sedati

Just looked up the budget for last year's extensive Thunder Mountain renovation in California and the OC Register has it at four million dollars. New track, new vehicles, new show scenes, new sound and lighting, some rockwork re-work, new mining town, and overall paint and polish.

Phil12

I heard they put in a Lumberjack show just up the street from Norway and it's getting a lot of talk.

Monkee Girl

I heard they put in a Lumberjack show just up the street from Norway and it's getting a lot of talk.

I meant for the Norway Pavilion. I think it's great they had something ready to replace Off Kilter. I know a lot of people will miss that show (I never stopped to see them). For Norway though, I think something should be added to make up for the absence of Maelstrom.

G00fyDad

I truly did not care for the Maelstrom ride, but adding Frozen to every aspect of the parks is too much. I always wished that they would redo Maelstrom, but not to go so far as to replace the entire ride with some cute Pixar junk.

Maelstrom_Frozen_Overlay_Olaf.jpg

ttalovebug

Well, I was there on Sunday night and was one of the last to ride, and though the whole thing is really upsetting, we had a blast. Everyone there was a fan of the ride, cheering and chanting and just bonding over our love for Epcot. I met some great people, we acted like total nuts and it was great. Everyone gathered in the unload area after riding and was cheering for every boat that pulled in to unload for the last half-hour. They showed the film twice at the end of the night for the last guests in theatre (which has probably never been so full in 26 years). The crowd was rowdy and crazy and it was great. It was truly a celebration, which was great.Thanks to everyone who made it so fun! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom