Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Monkee Girl

tumblr_m5d6blbtHb1r1v7mw.gif

loki-smile-avengers.gif

You know.......I wouldn't exactly be upset.....if Disney changed Maelstrom into a Loki ride.....just saying...

Tony Perkis

To be fair. there are plenty around here calling anybody who thinks this overlay is anything other than an abomination an idiot. So we're even on that front.
People here are more educated than the average Theme Park Review poster and contributor on WDW issues. People here realize that a $50-75 million budget does not lend itself to an innovative and stellar new attraction, because we are all aware how Disney allocates and spends its money inefficiently. And many of us are of the opinion that the purpose and foundation of Disney's most mature offering, World Showcase, shouldn't be completely undone by a talking snowman and freaking Frozen.

This honestly baffles me. Other than the presence of snow, Frozen had exceedingly little to do with Norway. That isn't opinion. The film that was released in 2013 is not grounded in Norwegian lore and history. It's pure fiction.

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Hopes for the new ride/Norway area:
-I hope they're able to increase capacity in some sort of way, so the rest of us who are not interested in riding can enjoy shorter lines throughout the rest of Epcot/WS!!! :D:happy:;) I've gotta find a bright side in here somewhere, right?
-I hope they do not allow Frozen to COMPLETELY overtake the gift shop area. From video I've seen, it appears to have eaten up a large chunk already, but I hope some of it is left over. I know I joked earlier, but I do really hope Norway does not end up becoming Arendelle.
-I hope the stave church stays in it's current form/look. Please don't repaint it and make it look all cutesy ala Frozen, Disney! Please?

Mike S

Hopes for the new ride/Norway area:
-I hope they're able to increase capacity in some sort of way, so the rest of us who are not interested in riding can enjoy shorter lines throughout the rest of Epcot/WS!!! :D:happy:;) I've gotta find a bright side in here somewhere, right?
-I hope they do not allow Frozen to COMPLETELY overtake the gift shop area. From video I've seen, it appears to have eaten up a large chunk already, but I hope some of it is left over. I know I joked earlier, but I do really hope Norway does not end up becoming Arendelle.
-I hope the stave church stays in it's current form/look. Please don't repaint it and make it look all cutesy ala Frozen, Disney! Please?
You forgot Maelstrom tributes.

Captain Neo

Don't worry guys when i'm on the board Frozen will be replaced by a THOR ride that will end with Thor victoriously beheading the ice witch Else while liquid sprays on guests to give them the sensation of blood splattering. Kids will cheer and the ride will end with the ghost of Odin praising Thor for restoring the "Spirit of Norway"

BrerJon

Don't worry guys when i'm on the board Frozen will be replaced by a THOR ride that will end with Thor victoriously beheading the ice witch Else while liquid sprays on guests to give them the sensation of blood splattering. Kids will cheer and the ride will end with the ghost of Odin praising Thor for restoring the "Spirit of Norway"

Oh, and that water your boat is sailing in? Yeah... Olaf's remains.

yepitsandy

No problem with it personally. I loved Maelstrom as the quirky experience it was. That said, Frozen is a phenomenon. What might seem as overexposure to some is, to my three year old, amazing. Much like I was with Toy Story. While I have fears of it becoming a boring ride like the Mermaid (compared to a mostly boring but quirky ride like Maelstrom), I also have faith that almost every new attraction we have had appear over the last few years has been beautiful. Frozen isn't going away.... it might be overexposed, but being the top grossing animated movie, one of the best selling soundtracks since Titanic, and toys that can't stay on the shelves are signs that it is worth the change over to me.

Matt_Black

No problem with it personally. I loved Maelstrom as the quirky experience it was. That said, Frozen is a phenomenon. What might seem as overexposure to some is, to my three year old, amazing. Much like I was with Toy Story. While I have fears of it becoming a boring ride like the Mermaid (compared to a mostly boring but quirky ride like Maelstrom), I also have faith that almost every new attraction we have had appear over the last few years has been beautiful. Frozen isn't going away.... it might be overexposed, but being the top grossing animated movie, one of the best selling soundtracks since Titanic, and toys that can't stay on the shelves are signs that it is worth the change over to me.

Welcome to the boards, and prepare yourself- a well-thought out, rational post like that is liable to get you branded as a "pixie-duster".

G00fyDad

People here are more educated than the average Theme Park Review poster and contributor on WDW issues. People here realize that a $50-75 million budget does not lend itself to an innovative and stellar new attraction, because we are all aware how Disney allocates and spends its money inefficiently. And many of us are of the opinion that the purpose and foundation of Disney's most mature offering, World Showcase, shouldn't be completely undone by a talking snowman and freaking Frozen.

This honestly baffles me. Other than the presence of snow, Frozen had exceedingly little to do with Norway. That isn't opinion. The film that was released in 2013 is not grounded in Norwegian lore and history. It's pure fiction.

No its not! It was taken bit-for-bit from Isabelle Tanikumi's life. :angelic:

Ulysses McGill

What's really going to be funny is if kids suddenly change their minds about Frozen all together and stop enjoying it so much by the time this new attraction is complete. Then Norway suddenly becomes the Frozen clearance rack.

It just seems like, more often than not, when something is as popular as Frozen is, there is usually a steep decline and/or backlash at some point.

Although it is odd to think now that if you're facing the USA pavilion, that most of the left side of WS is now fictional cartoon versions of the nation they represent (Mexico, Norway).

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Ive seen Robb Alvey called worse on here...

And he is the one openly insultinf people upset about Maelstrom online.

Yep, this. He's basically calling everybody who thinks this overlay is a bad idea idiots.

Don't think the fictional story of Frozen and the fictional location of Arrendale fit in Norway? You're an idiot. Don't think Disney should abandon its original theme and purpose for World Showcase? You're an idiot.

To be fair. there are plenty around here calling anybody who thinks this overlay is anything other than an abomination an idiot. So we're even on that front.

So you're saying it's OK to call people who aren't opposed to this development idiots because the development is bad and dumb and therefore those who aren't opposed to it are indeed idiots? But when Robb Alvey (whoever the heck he is) does the same thing only from the opposite side, it's wrong and inappropriate, because he's calling the wrong people idiots?

Pretty sure that's not the way it's supposed to work. Name-calling is unnecessary, no matter which side the person is on and how unpopular (or ridiculous) the position is that they are espousing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom