Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just looked up the budget for last year's extensive Thunder Mountain renovation in California and the OC Register has it at four million dollars. New track, new vehicles, new show scenes, new sound and lighting, some rockwork re-work, new mining town, and overall paint and polish.

While I don't doubt the OC Register had a source for that number (their labeled 'documents filed with the city') - I would doubt the number they are referencing really reflects the total spend. Its hard to say without their actual source cite. Disney spends more than that on a food location.. so I question how a total ride rebuild plus show upgrade that takes almost 9m in actual execution (let alone the time before the attraction was closed), and includes major elements from outside partners being done that cheap is Disney.

Cesar R M

I truly did not care for the Maelstrom ride, but adding Frozen to every aspect of the parks is too much. I always wished that they would redo Maelstrom, but not to go so far as to replace the entire ride with some cute Pixar junk.

View attachment 68713
I must have missed the memo. Since when Frozen counts as Pixar?

*edit*
nevermind, I just read your other answer.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The creators of Frozen took inspiration from Norway, but the movie doesn't take place in Norway. This is why it is a bad fit for the Norway pavilion.

The problem is not about where it takes place or not (its a fictional land they can decide is anywhere.. like Gothem is). The problem is it's not ABOUT Norway or it's culture. It's no more a better fit for World Showcase is than Dark Knight Rises is for the American Adventure.

Cesar R M

The problem is not about where it takes place or not (its a fictional land they can decide is anywhere.. like Gothem is). The problem is it's not ABOUT Norway or it's culture. It's no more a better fit for World Showcase is than Dark Knight Rises is for the American Adventure.
awww.. no James Gordon for us in the American Adventure? :( (lol)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I suspect Disney is placing this bet on a winner, even if it's doing so in the wrong location.
Its been reported that Disney execs had NO faith in Frozen when it was being made but now that its majorly successful they are placing all bets on it. To me, that proves how disassociated they are with what will or will not be a hit. Are the execs so arrogant that they dont realize how wrong they were to start with and that their ideas to over saturate Frozen could be equally as wrong (in the long term)?

It just seems like, more often than not, when something is as popular as Frozen is, there is usually a steep decline and/or backlash at some point.
I think thats an excellent point. It reminds me of Vanilla Ice. Insanely popular for a few years, sold millions of records and sold out shows for years. After the fad wore off, the backlash came and people were too embarrassed to even admit they owned his album. Could this happen with Frozen? Perhaps not on the level of Vanilla Ice backlash, but I can see kids distancing themselves from it just to be "cool", especially as more and more adults become obsessed with it. My brother just visited and they attended MNSSHP and he mentioned that most people dressed as Anna or Elsa were adults. His daughter and her friend (who are HUGE princess fans) chose to be Snow White and Jasmine.

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Its been reported that Disney execs had NO faith in Frozen when it was being made but now that its majorly successful they are placing all bets on it. To me, that proves how disassociated they are with what will or will not be a hit. Are the execs so arrogant that they dont realize how wrong they were to start with and that their ideas to over saturate Frozen could be equally as wrong (in the long term)?

They obviously realize how wrong they were to start with. That's why the turn in strategy. Of course they realize they COULD be equally as wrong now. These are judgment calls being made by big boys. They know they are taking a risk.

If if one example of a mistake PROVES to you that the execs are unqualified to predict what will or will not be a hit, why doesn't their faith in Guardians of the Galaxy PROVE that they are qualified? Nobody is right all the time, and nobody is wrong all the time.

My comment was that I believe the bet on Frozen will pan out. So, obviously, do the execs. But it could be wrong. Just like the bet on Stitch's Supersonic catastrophe show was wrong, and just as the bet on John Carter was wrong. The fact that a judgment call COULD be wrong can't always stop you from taking the risk. If you want until you KNOW that your decision COULDN'T be wrong, it's usually too late.

But despite the mistakes, we want them to take risks. Without the willingness to take risks, Disney doesn't buy Marvel, build Epcot, start the cruise line, or do anything else good.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
They obviously realize how wrong they were to start with. That's why the turn in strategy. Of course they realize they COULD be equally as wrong now. These are judgment calls being made by big boys. They know they are taking a risk.

If if one example of a mistake PROVES to you that the execs are unqualified to predict what will or will not be a hit, why doesn't their faith in Guardians of the Galaxy PROVE that they do? Nobody is right all the time, and nobody is wrong all the time.

My comment was that I believe the bet on Frozen will pan out. So, obviously, do the execs. But it could be wrong. Just like the bet on Stitch's Supersonic catastrophe show was wrong, and just as the bet on John Carter was wrong. The fact that a judgment call COULD be wrong can't always stop you from taking the risk. If you want until you KNOW that your decision COULDN'T be wrong, it's usually too late.

But despite the mistakes, we want them to take risks. Without the willingness to take risks, Disney doesn't buy Marvel, build Epcot, start the cruise line, or do anything else good.
I agree. I wasnt saying they should not take the risks. I just see stuffy suit type guys in their Burbank offices making decisions for the parks that they never step foot in. I think your correct and the risk on Frozen will surely pay off, especially in the form of an attraction. I cant stand the idea of Frozen in Norway but that doesnt mean I wont give it a whirl.

tribbleorlfl

I think thats an excellent point. It reminds me of Vanilla Ice. Insanely popular for a few years, sold millions of records and sold out shows for years. After the fad wore off, the backlash came and people were too embarrassed to even admit they owned his album. Could this happen with Frozen? Perhaps not on the level of Vanilla Ice backlash, but I can see kids distancing themselves from it just to be "cool", especially as more and more adults become obsessed with it. My brother just visited and they attended MNSSHP and he mentioned that most people dressed as Anna or Elsa were adults. His daughter and her friend (who are HUGE princess fans) chose to be Snow White and Jasmine.
And you right there just highlighted what's incorrect with the contention that "Frozen" is a fad and that this ride will fail because by the time it opens, kids will have moved onto something else. Disney made the rare film the entire family could enjoy and "Frozen" resonated with a wide, diverse audience (not just with the younglings). Besides, the facts the merch is still flying off the shelves and that the National Retail Federation reported "Frozen" as being the top IP for children's costumes this Halloween (w/ an estimated 2.6 m children dressing up as a resident of Arendelle) suggests it's still plenty popular w/ kids.

Sure, we're past the frenzy and peak of it's popularity, but to think "Frozen" is going to disappear into obscurity (thus a poor IP to base a ride on) is disingenuous at best and ignores the numbers.

spiritofNorway

And are we sure Frozen is actually Norwegian? Because the two choral pieces "Heimr Arnandalr" and "Eatnemen Vuile" are both in ancient Icelandic...

Eatnemen Vuelie is made by a Norwegian componist and sung by a Norwegian choir.
In Southern Sami language Vuelie is the name for the kind of song it is, joiking.
The translation would be the earths song.

Prototype82

Honestly, what is Tom Fitzgerald even doing? Is the park completely in danger now? Entertainment cuts, Frozen,...we all thought he was going to bring great things as "creative director" ...What is going on?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom