Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
What's really going to be funny is if kids suddenly change their minds about Frozen all together and stop enjoying it so much by the time this new attraction is complete. Then Norway suddenly becomes the Frozen clearance rack.

It just seems like, more often than not, when something is as popular as Frozen is, there is usually a steep decline and/or backlash at some point.

Although it is odd to think now that if you're facing the USA pavilion, that most of the left side of WS is now fictional cartoon versions of the nation they represent (Mexico, Norway).
I think it's way too soon for a Frozen ride because it's too early to tell if it'll be a "timeless classic" (Little Mermaid) or a passing fad (Stitch). I also think Carsland happened too soon, before we knew whether the IP would have lasting popularity. That being said, I suspect Disney is placing this bet on a winner, even if it's doing so in the wrong location.

Also, there are five pavilions on the "left" (ignoring the outpost) -- Mexico, China, Norway, Italy, Germany. 2 of 5 does not make "most". Good point you make -- no need to oversell it.

FigmentJedi

I think it's way too soon for a Frozen ride because it's too early to tell if it'll be a "timeless classic" (Little Mermaid) or a passing fad (Stitch). I also think Carsland happened too soon, before we knew whether the IP would have lasting popularity. That being said, I suspect Disney is placing this bet on a winner, even if it's doing so in the wrong location.
Lilo and Stitch is still the most popular film of the '00s and still a huge juggernaut of a franchise in Japan. Problem was Disney thought Stitch was their own version of Poochie and marketed him accordingly here in the West.

Tony Perkis

So you're saying it's OK to call people who aren't opposed to this development idiots because the development is bad and dumb and therefore those who aren't opposed to it are indeed idiots? But when Robb Alvey (whoever the heck he is) does the same thing only from the opposite side, it's wrong and inappropriate, because he's calling the wrong people idiots?

Pretty sure that's not the way it's supposed to work. Name-calling is unnecessary, no matter which side the person is on and how unpopular (or ridiculous) the position is that they are espousing.
I have no problem disparaging a person for calling those who disagree with them idiots.

Agreeing with this overlay doesn't make people idiotic. I disagree with it, but I'm not putting someone down for thinking differently.

There's your difference.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I have no problem disparaging a person for calling those who disagree with them idiots.

Agreeing with this overlay doesn't make people idiotic. I disagree with it, but I'm not putting someone down for thinking differently.

There's your difference.

Then we agree.

Mr Anderson

What's really going to be funny is if kids suddenly change their minds about Frozen all together and stop enjoying it so much by the time this new attraction is complete. Then Norway suddenly becomes the Frozen clearance rack.

It just seems like, more often than not, when something is as popular as Frozen is, there is usually a steep decline and/or backlash at some point.

Although it is odd to think now that if you're facing the USA pavilion, that most of the left side of WS is now fictional cartoon versions of the nation they represent (Mexico, Norway).
Very good point. I think Disney will do anything necessary to try to keep the hype train rolling, though. But you can't force kids to like something (the exec's didn't even think the movie would be popular) and more of the exact same thing doesn't always work.

Next Big Thing

Disney won't let it die (or should I say Let it go? ;)). They already have a sequel lined up, Frozen on Ice, the upcoming Broadway show and the animated short next year. I'm sure there's more i've missed too, but those are some pretty big things to keep Frozen out there in the public eye (on top of the ride).

FigmentJedi

Disney won't let it die (or should I say Let it go? ;)). They already have a sequel lined up, Frozen on Ice, the upcoming Broadway show and the animated short next year. I'm sure there's more i've missed too, but those are some pretty big things to keep Frozen out there in the public eye (on top of the ride).
Also Once Upon a Time becoming The Frozen Show.

lazyboy97o

Which they clearly state in the film's credits and some people are blissfully ignoring.
Those same credits also make it clear that it is an American film.

So if Disney came out and said (to begin with) that Arrendelle was a kingdom in Norway. Then everyone would be ok with putting this in the Norway pavilion??
No, because it is not a Norwegian film.

I've said it before, but I really doubt they will spend the money to install a new ride system.
The time just doesn't seem to be there.

2. Your focus on Anna and Elsa in particular is telling. No, as far as I know, those specific personalities/characters themselves are specifically represented - but they aren't building an Anna & Elsa ride - they are building a FROZEN ride. Frozen, which has many connections to Norway, according to everyone else but some folks on a message board like this.
Tom Staggs seems to be under the impression that the rides will focus on the characters and music.

That's the part I don't get.

Maelstrom as it exists right now, is not really specific to Norway - trolls and Nordic gods are overall Scandinavian. Frozen is more specific in it's references - to actual cities, places, and buildings in Norway itself.
A film filled with Pixar references is not a Pixar film.

I'll be honest - I was surprised at that number. It does seem like a nice hunk of change.

On one hand, though, I know it's often true that it costs more to renovate something than just tear it down and start fresh, but on the other - it does seem like 75M in that space should be able to accomplish a lot.

That's one reason I'm not entirely convinced the ride system will be staying as is, and this will simply be an overlay - it does seem like there is going to be more to it than that.

Once it's underway, I will be very curious and anxious to hear what really is going to go on in that space.
That money is not just going towards the ride. There is also the highly accelerated development timeline.

Has Disney ever contracted ride building out to third parties? Maybe they are being brought to a third party for a redo?
All the time.

Could this be Walt Disney World's first trackless system ride??
Very doubtful.

Sea World tried it with Antarctica. Poor execution. Perhaps Disney can do better if they try.
What's funny is that Antartica: Empire of the Pengun was laughed at for adding color to ice, but that is done in Frozen.

No problem with it personally. I loved Maelstrom as the quirky experience it was. That said, Frozen is a phenomenon. What might seem as overexposure to some is, to my three year old, amazing. Much like I was with Toy Story. While I have fears of it becoming a boring ride like the Mermaid (compared to a mostly boring but quirky ride like Maelstrom), I also have faith that almost every new attraction we have had appear over the last few years has been beautiful. Frozen isn't going away.... it might be overexposed, but being the top grossing animated movie, one of the best selling soundtracks since Titanic, and toys that can't stay on the shelves are signs that it is worth the change over to me.
Frozen needs to go away so that it can fit in such cramped quarters.

tl77

Just curious, but now that The Three Caballeros are in Mexico's boat ride, and Frozen is coming to Norway's boat ride, do you think if the German pavilion had gotten it's Rhine River boat ride back in the 1980's....

6710GermanyPLAN_copy.jpg

that they would now be replacing it with this?
Tangled_rapunzel_poster_20.jpg

or if the UK Pavilion had gotten it's boat ride through Charles Dicken's stories
scrooge+attraction.jpg

would they now be replacing that with Disney versions of British literature like Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and Mary Poppins? Or if they now brushed off the old Rhine River Blue Prints for a Tangled boat ride in Germany would anyone object to it? because the story of Rapunzel is from German culture/folk lore, the same way Mulan is from China and Sleeping Beauty is France, and this seems to be the direction Epcot/World Showcase is heading

Mike S

Just curious, but now that The Three Caballeros are in Mexico's boat ride, and Frozen is coming to Norway's boat ride, do you think if the German pavilion had gotten it's Rhine River boat ride back in the 1980's....

6710GermanyPLAN_copy.jpg

that they would now be replacing it with this?
Tangled_rapunzel_poster_20.jpg

or if the UK Pavilion had gotten it's boat ride through Charles Dicken's stories
scrooge+attraction.jpg

would they now be replacing that with Disney versions of British literature like Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and Mary Poppins? Or if they now brushed off the old Rhine River Blue Prints for a Tangled boat ride in Germany would anyone object to it? because the story of Rapunzel is from German culture/folk lore, the same way Mulan is from China and Sleeping Beauty is France, and this seems to be the direction Epcot/World Showcase is heading
2 or more wrongs don't make a right. Just a further devolved park that used to strive for more than just being Fantasyland overflow. About Germany I think a ride based on the Brothers Grimm and more than just one of their stories would be a good fit. Based on the original works of course, not the Disney versions.

ETA: Yes Disney probably would've put Tangled in Germany and other toons if the rides were there to cheaply replace.

Last edited:

Phil12

2 or more wrongs don't make a right. Just a further devolved park that used to strive for more than just being Fantasyland overflow. About Germany I think a ride based on the Brothers Grimm and more than just one of their stories would be a good fit. Based on the original works of course, not the Disney versions.

ETA: Yes Disney probably would've put Tangled in Germany and other toons if the rides were there to cheaply replace.
Me too! I want to see the wicked Queen from Snow White put into a pair of glowing hot iron shoes and made to dance until she dies. I think today's kids can take the truth!

Lucky

You mean like with Hannah Montana or High School Musical? Nah, that never happens.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I wanted to come in and add some firsthand experience from Sunday that adds likely 0 new information to the discussion and has likely already been noted in the past 10 pages or so. You know, because that is how these kinds of threads work.

I was able to get one last ride on Maelstrom on Sunday, around 3pm. Both the standby line and FP+ lines were back past the entrance to Akershus. Standby was listed at 75 minutes at that point in time.
There was a brief moment when we were outside in line that someone was able to put up a sign in the center window above the entry doors (and attraction sign) that read #savemaelstrom. It was dropped quickly, I'm guessing someone was seen doing it. I didn't see the sign return while I was outside. Our group of us WDWMagic folk all had FP+, so we cruised through the line fairly quickly.

Inside, nearly every person was taking pictures of everything (myself included). The signs, the flags, the boats, the murals, the people. The CMs were posing for pictures in the unload area.

The ride itself was what it always has been. A middling attraction that was an odd mix of reality and fantasy. I snapped a few ride photos that are not very good. We all sat down and stayed through the end of the film, and then watched the entire thing on the next loop. That was always my favorite part of that attraction. Wow was it well outdated. That was one heck of a computer that dude was working on.

We all stopped back by the pavilion on our way out, around 10pm, as we were slowly wandering around a mostly empty WS taking pictures and enjoying a post-meal stroll. The group outside was gathered, the doors were closed, and the last few ride cycles were running. I'm not sure if they were the CM rides, or the last of the guests. We took some pictures and moved along, not joining the group of people hanging around doing whatever it is they were doing outside the closed doors.

It was kind of odd to be hit with some of the feelings of loss and nostalgia that I had, based on the fact that I had no real love for the attraction. Maybe it was making up for not being at all the closings of attractions at Epcot that I really loved, like Horizons, WoM, The Living Seas, Journey into Imagination. Maybe it was knowing that it's being Frozen-afied (talked to a lady and her daughter on the way out of the film after her girl literally cringed when someone started jokingly singing Let It Go, she said her girl usually loves the film, but has recently become very sick of it). Maybe it was the beers and pitcher of sangria.

I feel bad for the Norway pavilion for the next couple of years. Nobody is going to stop there. It's going to go from one day of massive popularity to a couple years of ghost town.

Maelstrom No More.jpg

Cesar R M

Yep, this. He's basically calling everybody who thinks this overlay is a bad idea idiots.

Don't think the fictional story of Frozen and the fictional location of Arrendale fit in Norway? You're an idiot. Don't think Disney should abandon its original theme and purpose for World Showcase? You're an idiot.
sounds like that dude as severe emotional problems and little self stem.

Monkee Girl

Actually...a Norway pavilion with a Thor theme on it would be quite tasty and probably more acceptable for everyone who hates the Frozen stuff...

I know Marvel can't go into the park and all that but even just having the 'real' Thor would be cool. I love Norse Mythology and wish there was more available in the country for it. so yea Real/Marvel Loki needs to ice those two princesses out the the pavilion. lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom