Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

BrerJon

Oh, and many, many, many people have kids (all of our parents did) Many of us started going to Disney as kids. Well, Epcot still is not a kid park. World showcase just doesn't do it for kids. Sure Agent P has helped a bit... but in the end, the entire family has to find a reason to visit a park, and a lot of younger kids (frozen target market) are more interested in spending the day at a child care center, than walking around world showcase.

I think if parents brought their children up to appreciate travel, and the value of learning about the world, then it would 'do it' for kids. All too often nowadays parents are so paranoid about their kids complaining, or being seen as 'bad parents', that they'll kowtow to their every whim and shove an iPad in their faces, instead of letting them discover things for themselves and expand their horizons.

I know I loved World Showcase as a kid, and I can't have been alone. It was amazing to be able to go from one country to another in minutes. I think it's doing the children of today a disservice to say they lack that intelligence and curiosity.

aladdin2007

It will be interesting to see what further information TDO puts out on this one. It seems that they will be caught between a rock and a hard place. The current incarnation of Maelstrom is maddeningly short - many folks get off and say "that was it??". If they simple use the existing track and turn it into a straight-up Frozen ride, folks will still get off with a "that was it" feeling. And we all know that an overlay that tries to blend Frozen with some remaining vestige of Norway will fall flat - TDO simply doesn't have the creativity needed for that (look at the Seas for a prime example of how NOT to change something).

Further, the pavilion just isn't set up in a way conducive to managing large crowds. A new Frozen attraction PLUS a meet and greet? Not possible to put all those people in that small a space. Expanding the pavilion into the pad between Mexico and Norway would help with this, but that would cost significantly more money.

It's also interesting that Disney seems to sure that Frozen will still even be a hot ticket in 2016. There will be quite a few animated features between now and then to take the limelight. The only way that Frozen could still be incredibly popular 2 years from now is if Disney continues to beat it to death - and at that point, I would imagine many consumers would simply get sick of seeing it.

Finally - when are they going to do the obvious thing and put the Frozen sisters into Akershus?

Thats what they should do instead of the meetngreet, now its going to be one big hodgepodge.

Mike S

I am literally so done with this company. I don't want nostalgia. That's NOT why I'm furious. I want relevance, and originality. That's what EPCOT needs and that's what it's never going to have. Sticking with the ground-breaking work happening at Universal folks. I can't deal with this anymore.
All aboard the hype train.
image.jpg

mousehockey37

I think if parents brought their children up to appreciate travel, and the value of learning about the world, then it would 'do it' for kids. All too often nowadays parents are so paranoid about their kids complaining, or being seen as 'bad parents', that they'll kowtow to their every whim and shove an iPad in their faces, instead of letting them discover things for themselves and expand their horizons.

You mean like when you go somewhere in the car and tell the kids to pay attention? That someday they'll have to know how to navigate roads to get places? Oh wait, we have GPS now that tells you turn for turn how to get somewhere.

I, for one, looked out the window of the car when we went on vacation when I was little (gameboy's and such weren't around yet) and I learned where I was going and saw things as we traveled. I use google maps and such before I leave home, but I still know how to actually read a map and carry one in the car with me, just in case.

psherman42

For those wondering, and sorry if this has been said already, I'm not reading all 22 pages of this thread, but Disney appears to be deleting negative comments on the blog about how this is a poor fit for Epcot.

FutureCEO

Three Calabros (sp) and Donald in Mexico
Frozen in Norway
Mulan in China
Snow White in Germany
Mickey and Mnnie in USA
Aladdin in Morocco
Something in Japan
Beauty and the Beast in France
Brother Bear in Canada
Winnie the Pooh in UK
Nemo in Living Seas
Dumbo in Soarin
Wall E in Space
Dinosaur in Universe
Cars in Test Track

Future Epcot plans

SpaceMountain77

Its just too much Frozen. Am

Anna & Elsa are everywhere, yet so many other princesses get snubbed.

I'd rather see Mulan or Pocahantas get an attraction.

Personally, I do not support Meet & Greet locations in Epcot. There are plenty of opportunities for autographs and photos throughout the Walt Disney World Resort. However, I find it incredibly odd that a real person, from American History, does not appear at the American Adventure. If you were to meet anyone in World Showcase, you would think it would be Pocahontas and John Smith.

Cesar R M

Frozen in Norway
Mulan in China
Snow White in Germany
Mickey and Mnnie in USA
Aladdin in Morocco
Something in Japan
Brother Bear in Canada
Winnie the Pooh in UK
Nemo in Living Seas
Dumbo in Soarin
Wall E in Space
Dinosaur in Universe
Cars in Test Track

Future Epcot plans
Three Caballeros bro.

mousehockey37

At the very least, it will make the WS more enjoyable for kids... the only pro I can think of.

The ride wait time apps that tell you what park to visit will have to update. You'll have MK, AK, DHS, EPCOT and Frozen Showcase (which will always be RED).

So a silver lining might be that other parks will empty out some now to follow the Frozen phenomenon.

Pixie VaVoom

Why do they always do this to EPCOT? Seriously, why? Frozen wasn't eve that good. I must not be the only person to walk out of the theater on that movie. Or am I? Oh well, here comes more people to Epcot. Meanwhile WoL still needs love and UoE needs love as well... But more TRON on TT and more characters in Tue park. That will make everyone happy.

Well, I didn't walk out ...i just FELL ASLEEP.

i agree - "Frozen" was cute, but sheesh - it wasn't ALL THAT !!! I actually enjoyed "Saving Mr. Banks" lots more - but there is no screech of 'mommy bloggers' over that.

Mike S

Frozen in Norway
Mulan in China
Snow White in Germany
Mickey and Mnnie in USA
Aladdin in Morocco
Something in Japan
Brother Bear in Canada
Winnie the Pooh in UK
Nemo in Living Seas
Dumbo in Soarin
Wall E in Space
Dinosaur in Universe
Cars in Test Track

Future Epcot plans
Big Hero 6 in Japan.

aladdin2007

All I know so far is that they are going totally remove all the old show sets and show pieces and start totally new. It is supposed to be a mix of AA's and video projection. It has changed a couple of times already and probably change a couple more times before they actually build it.

hence the reason for no concept art probably with this announcement, they probably dont know exactly what they are doing or cant make up their minds. shocking.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
All I know so far is that they are going totally remove all the old show sets and show pieces and start totally new. It is supposed to be a mix of AA's and video projection. It has changed a couple of times already and probably change a couple more times before they actually build it.

Thanks for injecting some actual info into a thread that was flying off the rails.

Track layout/length looks like it's staying as is then?

If that's the case, I literally can't see anyway this is able to handle the crowds it will surely attract.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom