Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

BigTxEars

So the whim of the public takes precedence over the thematic integrity of the parks? That's not how Disney parks got to where they are now, and it they start deviating from that to much they won't stay there either.

Whim of the public? What business do you think the theme parks are in if not whim of the public business? Of course they should cater to the whims of their guest.

I have seen nothing at all in any numbers to show WDW is losing their hold on the top spot. Is there something that makes you think that other than your dislike of their current direction?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Whim of the public? What business do you think the theme parks are in if not whim of the public business? Of course they should cater to the whims of their guest.

I have seen nothing at all in any numbers to show WDW is losing their hold on the top spot. Is there something that makes you think that other than your dislike of their current direction?

I disagree completely on your first point. The public whim changes constantly, and it is not something that should always be catered to. I prefer to see a high quality well thought out product, that will lead to long term success. Disney in the past has been the innovator in theme parks, giving people things they didn't even know they wanted. Now they just seem to want to milk their existing customers for as much money as they possibly can, instead of providing new experiences that will attract more guests, and get them to come back more often. Their strategy seems to we working in the short term, but I fear it will fail long term and will leave a lot of damage to be repaired.

BrerJon

As Henry Ford said: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

And as Steve Jobs once said: “A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.”

Disney shouldn't just be asking guests what they want and serving it up, they should be coming up with stuff that guests will love but could never have thought of by themselves.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As Henry Ford said: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

And as Steve Jobs once said: “A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.”

Disney shouldn't just be asking guests what they want and serving it up, they should be coming up with stuff that guests will love but could never have thought of by themselves.

Can you imagine if these forums had been around when Tower of Terror was announced. A drop tower ride themed to Twilight Zone, what kind of joke is that! But we all know how that turned out.

Mike S

Can you imagine if these forums had been around when Tower of Terror was announced. A drop tower ride themed to Twilight Zone, what kind of joke is that! But we all know how that turned out.
One of the most perfectly themed attractions I've ever been on and my personal favorite. Tower of Terror is a clear grand slam just by itself.

Am I gushing too much?

Admiral01

Premium Member

Yeah, but ToT didn't replace something. It was a wholly original ride, that was the centerpiece of a major park expansion - not a lame overlay on an already existing attraction.

Again, recent track record from my earlier post:
  • Stitch's Great Escape
  • Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management
  • Journey into Imagination with Figment
  • Monster's Inc Laugh Floor
  • The Seas with Nemo and Friends
  • Gran Fiesta Tour starring The Three Caballeros
  • "Updated" Polynesian Village lobby
  • Disco Yeti
  • No more Toad, Horizons, or WoL
  • and The Hat
None of those are of the quality and caliber of the Tower of Terror. Besides, ToT didn't replace, say, Haunted Mansion. Both deal with the supernatural, so it should have been a great fit, right? Twilight Zone in HM would have been a great Iger-era overlay. Twilight Zone in Haunted Mansion...Frozen in Maelstrom at Norway...sounds about right :)

I know you and I agree on this point, but I wanted to get this thought on the forum and your post was a great lead in! Thanks friend!

BTW, I realize my list isn't all Iger era.

BigTxEars

Your upset about this so you equate it to a and / poor/ horrible move on Disney's part which is nothing but your opinion. I think it's a fine fit, just my opinion. The mass of paying guest (not you or I) will decide if it was the right move as Disney is a for profit business. It really is that simple IMO.

And the guest will love it I am thinking, more so than what is there now. Time will tell.

This is hardly an issue that related to revolutinary societal changes like the home computer or automobile. It's a theme park ride, it's not a comparison that makes sense IMO for that reason. Those were both items that people really had no comparisons for in their lives so it did change their life in ways they could not understand, the same can not be said for theme parks rides.

It's simply make believe characters replacing other make believe characters IMO, no harm no foul at the end of the day. None of the characters in the old or new ride can meet me for lunch tomorrow :)

But all of this has been beat to death, some on here just want to continue the debate to allow them to express their rage over it again. Olaf is rolling into WS so partake of him or not, it's up to you. I won't be there in line the first year if it's crazy but I will be there at some point so I am looking forward to it. If others are not that is understandable if they feel strongly about it.

BigTxEars

I disagree completely on your first point. The public whim changes constantly, and it is not something that should always be catered to. I prefer to see a high quality well thought out product, that will lead to long term success. Disney in the past has been the innovator in theme parks, giving people things they didn't even know they wanted. Now they just seem to want to milk their existing customers for as much money as they possibly can, instead of providing new experiences that will attract more guests, and get them to come back more often. Their strategy seems to we working in the short term, but I fear it will fail long term and will leave a lot of damage to be repaired.

WDW is not responding to a trending Twitter feed of the week....it's the most successful animated movie in history. I would agree with you if they built Justin Bieber land for example but Frozen is here to stay. NFL, all established content as well. Pandora is a risk, I think it will work but it's a risk. But Frozen is safe as can be imagined IMO.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
WDW is not responding to a trending Twitter feed of the week....it's the most successful animated movie in history. I would agree with you if they built Justin Bieber land for example but Frozen is here to stay. NFL, all established content as well. Pandora is a risk, I think it will work but it's a risk. But Frozen is safe as can be imagined IMO.

I have absolutely no problem with Frozen, if they spent the time and money to put it someplace thematically appropriate

Your upset about this so you equate it to a and / poor/ horrible move on Disney's part which is nothing but your opinion. I think it's a fine fit, just my opinion. The mass of paying guest (not you or I) will decide if it was the right move as Disney is a for profit business. It really is that simple IMO.

And the guest will love it I am thinking, more so than what is there now. Time will tell.

This is hardly an issue that related to revolutinary societal changes like the home computer or automobile. It's a theme park ride, it's not a comparison that makes sense IMO for that reason. Those were both items that people really had no comparisons for in their lives so it did change their life in ways they could not understand, the same can not be said for theme parks rides.

It's simply make believe characters replacing other make believe characters IMO, no harm no foul at the end of the day. None of the characters in the old or new ride can meet me for lunch tomorrow :)

But all of this has been beat to death, some on here just want to continue the debate to allow them to express their rage over it again. Olaf is rolling into WS so partake of him or not, it's up to you. I won't be there in line the first year if it's crazy but I will be there at some point so I am looking forward to it. If others are not that is understandable if they feel strongly about it.

I find it quite sad that you don't seem to understand what made Disney parks so great in the first place. :(

Mike S

Make believe characters from Norwegian folklore (not to mention historical Vikings) and make believe characters from an American animation studio. Yeah, really no difference there when it comes to which would fit more in a pavilion based on the real life country of Norway :rolleyes:

Also, Disney was a for profit business when they cared about theme in their theme parks and they did just fine.

Mr Anderson

Can't really separate the two. The theme doesn't fit were it is being put which makes it a net loss for the park. It would sort of be like putting Star Tours in Animal Kingdom.
Don't bother trying to reason with him; save your breath (so to speak). You're talking to a brick wall who outright refuses to see the logic in following the overall theme & vision of World Showcase, and instead finds his high & mighty, all powerful, mega-important opinion to be the factor which dictates what fits best where.

baloofigment14

From Orlando Park News:
If you currently visiting Epcot, you can have the chance to enjoy some extra ride time on Maelstrom this evening! In fact, park managers have decided to extendMaelstrom's operating hours until 11:00 p.m., while the rest of the park will close at 9:00 p.m. as scheduled (no other rides should be operating after park close, as this change only affected Maelstrom due to the ride's imminent closure.) The ride's last day of operation will still be October 5, 2014.

BrerJon

From Orlando Park News:
If you currently visiting Epcot, you can have the chance to enjoy some extra ride time on Maelstrom this evening! In fact, park managers have decided to extendMaelstrom's operating hours until 11:00 p.m., while the rest of the park will close at 9:00 p.m. as scheduled (no other rides should be operating after park close, as this change only affected Maelstrom due to the ride's imminent closure.) The ride's last day of operation will still be October 5, 2014.

Nice, though I'm not surprised given how huge the lines were last weekend. I'm not sure it ever dropped below 45 minutes, and was on a par with the lines for 7 Dwarfs over at MK.

I wonder how many people are going on Maelstrom just for one last ride, and how many haven't been on it for years, took a spin and realised how good it was, and are now getting as many as they can in as they know it won't be around much longer.

Phil12

Nice, though I'm not surprised given how huge the lines were last weekend. I'm not sure it ever dropped below 45 minutes, and was on a par with the lines for 7 Dwarfs over at MK.

I wonder how many people are going on Maelstrom just for one last ride, and how many haven't been on it for years, took a spin and realised how good it was, and are now getting as many as they can in as they know it won't be around much longer.
I think the reason for the long lines at Maelstrom is because the board of directors from the Office of Thematic Integrity have been inspecting the attraction to make sure this is an appropriate upgrade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom