Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Phil12

Watch a video of the Monsters Inc. ride in DCA which was a similar conversion with a budget of $30M (pre-existing ride system and vehicles just with a new theme). It really isn't anything special. Once again, the full $75M isn't going to the ride.

This is what I'm expecting from Frozen and I'm really not impressed.

If it had laser guns...

Bairstow

Has anyone else put dibs on the prediction that your boat will get hit with some kind of spell/freeze thing by Elsa at the backward/boat turnaround part?

If not... DIBS.

Would be kind of neat if the world is "normal" at that point and the Troll marsh turns into a big climatic "freezing" scene.
You could do some cool stuff with mapped projection effects and wraparound sound to show frost "spreading" all over the walls/trees/whatever as the boat travels backwards.
If the projection could be timed correctly to match the speed of the ride vehicle, the cold would appear to be "chasing" the riders, Day After Tomorrow style.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So on the last cycle of the ride will they change the dialog from "You are not the first to pass this way, nor shall you be the last." to "You are not the first to pass this way, but you shall be the last."?

RayTheFirefly

And like they're planning to with Frozen, Tokyo actually put effort into their MI ride. Look, the figures are fully animated and the facade and queue are perfect at immersing you into the setting. Additionally, it's not a stupid book report ride, but a sequel.

Never been on either, but you're right. The difference in quality is apparent.

Jake Wilson

Watch a video of the Monsters Inc. ride in DCA which was a similar conversion with a budget of $30M (pre-existing ride system and vehicles just with a new theme). It really isn't anything special. Once again, the full $75M isn't going to the ride.

What was the before ride? Is there a video of that to compare to? Sorry I am lost lol still a little tired...

BigTxEars

No offense but you don't want the ride period so I would guess your not the most optimistic person to speculate about how the ride will turn out. It could very well turn out just as you say but I am waiting to see it before I write it off. I certainly don't expect it to be "WOW!" but it will at least be a flat trade in quality with the current ride IMO.

BigTxEars

I agree. $75 million is more than enough to gut the current ride and replace it with a quality attraction. The most expensive part will be outfitting the old boats with new laser guns so each guest will be able to shoot the plywood targets, interactive screens and reverse the frozen spell. As a tribute to the Maelstrom ride they will retain the Viking Eye as you go up the lift. Shooting the Viking Eye with your laser will score extra bonus points!

Interacting with a ride is a form of learning so I would guess the pro education WS folks on here would love a shooter at WS :)

I just hope the boats on the ride have cup holders and maybe somewhere to put my nachos when I ride :)

Mike S

No offense but you don't want the ride period so I would guess your not the most optimistic person to speculate about how the ride will turn out. It could very well turn out just as you say but I am waiting to see it before I write it off. I certainly don't expect it to be "WOW!" but it will at least be a flat trade in quality with the current ride IMO.
Sometimes a nice dose of reality is better than hopeless optimism. The Monsters ride is probably the most perfect thing to compare to as a gauge of what to expect with this budget.

BigTxEars

Sometimes a nice dose of reality is better than hopeless optimism. The Monsters ride is probably the most perfect thing to compare to as a gauge of what to expect with this budget.

We shall see, like I said it will be a break even affair at worst IMO. I think just the fact that they are updating the ride in general will make it superior to the quality that is currently there. And you know the queue will be better, but I am kinda nuts about my queues so........ :)

Mike S

We shall see, like I said it will be a break even affair at worst IMO. I think just the fact that they are updating the ride in general will make it superior to the quality that is currently there. And you know the queue will be better, but I am kinda nuts about my queues so........ :)
The queue is actually a good thing to bring up. If that rumor is true and they'll be completely redoing it and making the current unload area a combination load/unload area and the current load area will be a new show scene that's even more money from the budget. Add in whatever is done to the rest of the pavilion and $75M is going to go quickly. Since it seems they were dead set on doing this they could've at least gone for a much bigger budget. It would still sting EPCOT Center fans just the same but at least the ride wouldn't have been cheap.

Nick Wilde

The dreaded day is Sunday. Who's going?

Edit: Wait, will it be open for the last day on Sunday, or will Sunday be the first day it's closed?

aladdin2007

The queue is actually a good thing to bring up. If that rumor is true and they'll be completely redoing it and making the current unload area a combination load/unload area and the current load area will be a new show scene that's even more money from the budget. Add in whatever is done to the rest of the pavilion and $75M is going to go quickly. Since it seems they were dead set on doing this they could've at least gone for a much bigger budget. It would still sting EPCOT Center fans just the same but at least the ride wouldn't have been cheap.

Im being told everything else will largely remain the same. So you can expect the majority of the budget to go to the ride, queue, signage, and meetngreet area wherever that ends up being.

Mike S

Im being told everything else will largely remain the same. So you can expect the majority of the budget to go to the ride, queue, signage, and meetngreet area wherever that ends up being.
Hm. Lee said some changes might come to the bakery and/or restaurant too. Guess we'll see.

mitchk

The rumors I had heard state that the renovated version of Maelstrom will board and unload at the same area- the current unload area. The post-show theater will become queue space and what is now the boarding area and queue will be devoted to the first show scene.

Dead on!

Cesar R M

wow, the animatronics seems like just plastic figures with minimal movements.. o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom