Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Mike S

Skip to about 13:40:

Today in Backlot they were working on some things and I noticed giant Anna and Elsa head sculptures (they're reddish and on either side of the table at the 13:40 mark). Do these have anything at all to do with the Maelstrom redo? Not sure what kinds of things they do in that room, but just thought I'd ask. If not for a ride, any clue what they'd be for?

Interesting. What could they be for?

Admiral01

Premium Member
I would guess WDW see potential for more revenue at Epcot with Frozen than without it. What were the numbers at Epcot with the M&G compared to before and after it? I would guess they like the numbers they had during the M&G. More tickets, more park hoppers, more people eating in WS since they are there already etc....makes business sense IMO.

As I posted earlier WS is a huge retailtainment area IMO, has been for year. They do indeed want guest to shop and eat more while there, Frozen should accomplish that. But lets not forget we can all buy a cheap plastic pair of viking horns in Norway tonight or a number of other cheap gifts, it's hardly an area set up to discourage us from spending money now. This is just a move to get a more popular item in the area, the number one animated movie of all time no less. I am not buying horns or a Olaf doll myself, but I will stuff my face there :)

You know what else would increase ticket sales? Adding NEW attractions instead of destroying old ones. Why does Maelstrom have to go? Why does Disney hate Norway? Didn't we just get a brand new addition to Fantasyland? Why not expand that, build a new attraction from the ground up?

This move by TDO, sticking Frozen into Norway, is being done for short term profit at the expense of long term quality.

They may indeed see more tickets being purchased...but it comes at the cost of my patronage. No more money being wasted staying at Beach Club. No more money being wasted on Premier Passes. No more money being wasted on food, drinks, and merchandise at WDW. WDW has made it clear that they don't want or respect me as a customer. My AP expires on October 15, and for the first time in 6 years, I'm not renewing. This decision by WDW to shoehorn Frozen into World Showcase was the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't understand the concept of continuing to pay for a product that, while it continues to get more expensive, the quality continues to decrease. There are less quality things to do at EPCOT today than there was when I was going in the 80s and 90s as a kid and teenager. I go to WDW for EPCOT. Not MK, DHS, or DAK. Without EPCOT to pull me in, I'm not at WDW at all.

When it comes to spending money on a product, I don't care what others like, I only care what I like. The attitude that many have taken, that I should just get used to Frozen in Norway and the other crap WDW has done to EPCOT, is frustrating. I'm not going to force myself to get used to it. I'm simply going to stop buying the product. If McDonald's doesn't have the item I want, I'm not going to pay for an item I don't want...I'm going to leave McDonald's and go to Burger King or Wendy's. Instead of my annual April/May trip to WDW, we went to Japan. Instead of our annual October trip to WDW, we are going to Hawaii. Next April, instead of WDW, we are planning London. See? Easy to not pay for something I don't want. Others can pay to ride Frozen.

I used to ride Maelstrom a few times each visit to WDW, and then eat and drink in Norway. I looked forward to it. It was a must-do. After Frozen, I won't be setting foot in that area.

I know Disney does all they can to turn us all into Pavlov's dogs...to condition us to spend money at WDW no matter what they do...but I'm not playing that game. Why should I pay for a product that I don't want? If anyone can answer that question I'd love to hear it.

FigmentJedi

Skip to about 13:40:

Today in Backlot they were working on some things and I noticed giant Anna and Elsa head sculptures (they're reddish and on either side of the table at the 13:40 mark). Do these have anything at all to do with the Maelstrom redo?

So that's what they're replacing "DOWN TO THE NORTH SEA WITH YOU" with.

FutureCEO

6148046512_7db54535de_z.jpg

Disneyhead'71

Your using the time tested and always weak debate method of taking things to imaginary extremes to try and prove a point. If WDW want to build Star Wars land in AK let me know, I judge things as individual cases.

Until then it's silly conjecture to try and compare the placement of a heavily Scandinavian influenced movie like Frozen in a Scandinavian country like Norway at WS and placing it in Animal Kingdom.
They are putting a fictional space alien land into DAK.

If I'm not mistaken, you are also pro-Avatar.

PS: There was a rumor a while ago that the Moon of Endor might actually be VERY close to Pandora in the Disney universe.

xstech25

You know what else would increase ticket sales? Adding NEW attractions instead of destroying old ones. Why does Maelstrom have to go? Why does Disney hate Norway? Didn't we just get a brand new addition to Fantasyland? Why not expand that, build a new attraction from the ground up?
Because it costs a lot of money to maintain and operate attractions, and when they get old/dated, they should be replaced with something new that is going to be more popular. There are some exceptions, like classics such as Haunted Mansion, Small World, etc that will never get removed, but Maelstrom is definitely not one of those attractions.

Why should I pay for a product that I don't want? If anyone can answer that question I'd love to hear it.
You shouldn't, that would be stupid. I, along with most other people on this forum, will still go to WDW after this ride opens and won't miss you. But from Disney's perspective while they will lose your business (and maybe a few other angry people) in the aggregate attendance at Epcot will probably go way up and they will make millions more dollars. They trade your business of probably a few thousand dollars a year for making millions more. Once again there is this law of the marketplace called supply & demand.

It's really sad when people stomp their feet and think that by making a stink "i'm never going to come here again" is going to scare a company into getting their way, especially such a hugely successful one like Disney. Sorry dude the world doesn't revolve around you.

Last edited:

Mike S

Because it costs a lot of money to maintain and operate attractions, and when they get old/dated, they should be replaced with something new that is going to be more popular. There are some exceptions, like classics such as Haunted Mansion, Small World, etc that will never get removed, but Maelstrom is definitely not one of those attractions.
Yes this makes so much sense. An $80 billion dollar company that makes billions off of Walt Disney World every year can only afford to replace attractions. Building new would obviously bankrupt them. Forget that there was a concept for a more appropriate Maelstrom update.
image.jpg

Also lets not even consider the possible money being left on the table from building a fully fleshed out area based on a movie that made $1.2 billion. Yes, shoving this ride in an incredibly small space is the only option there is. CURSE YOU CRUEL FATE FOR DISNEY NOT HAVING ENOUGH MONEY FOR A BIGGER PROJECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xstech25

Yes this makes so much sense. An $80 billion dollar company that makes billions off of Walt Disney World every year can only afford to replace attractions. Building new would obviously bankrupt them. Forget that there was a concept for a more appropriate Maelstrom update.
I think you are completely ignorant on how the world works.

Sure they could afford to, but they have to manage their capital in ways that maximize their profits because that's what businesses do. A Frozen land may not be a bad idea, but that would cost hundreds of millions of dollars they are spending on other major projects that they have already designed and green-lit.

I could go out and buy a Mustang right now if I wanted to, that doesn't make it a good idea.

FutureCEO

Sure they could afford to, but they have to manage their capital in ways that maximize their profits because that's what businesses do. A Frozen land may not be a bad idea, but that would cost hundreds of millions of dollars they are spending on other major projects that they have already designed and green-lit.

I could go out and buy a Mustang right now if I wanted to, that doesn't make it a good idea.

You have to spend money to make money. But then again, why spend when your raking in the dough.

Mike S

Yes they would spend hundreds of millions NOW, but then they would make that back easily and more. Why do you think Universal expanded Harry Potter? They made an incredible amount of money from the first area. If you think Disney wouldn't be able to make a great amount of money from a fleshed out Frozen area that would easily make back its cost and much, MUCH more you're insane. Possibly even more money than this overlay if it included a restaurant on the level of BoG. Actually that sounds familiar....... Oh yeah, it's because this kind of area might actually get built in Tokyo where they have a management team that understands how to run theme parks. Big investment, even bigger return.

BigTxEars

This move by TDO, sticking Frozen into Norway, is being done for short term profit at the expense of long term quality.

They may indeed see more tickets being purchased...but it comes at the cost of my patronage. No more money being wasted staying at Beach Club. No more money being wasted on Premier Passes. No more money being wasted on food, drinks, and merchandise at WDW. WDW has made it clear that they don't want or respect me as a customer. My AP expires on October 15, and for the first time in 6 years, I'm not renewing. This decision by WDW to shoehorn Frozen into World Showcase was the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't understand the concept of continuing to pay for a product that, while it continues to get more expensive, the quality continues to decrease. There are less quality things to do at EPCOT today than there was when I was going in the 80s and 90s as a kid and teenager. I go to WDW for EPCOT. Not MK, DHS, or DAK. Without EPCOT to pull me in, I'm not at WDW at all.

When it comes to spending money on a product, I don't care what others like, I only care what I like. The attitude that many have taken, that I should just get used to Frozen in Norway and the other crap WDW has done to EPCOT, is frustrating. I'm not going to force myself to get used to it. I'm simply going to stop buying the product. If McDonald's doesn't have the item I want, I'm not going to pay for an item I don't want...I'm going to leave McDonald's and go to Burger King or Wendy's. Instead of my annual April/May trip to WDW, we went to Japan. Instead of our annual October trip to WDW, we are going to Hawaii. Next April, instead of WDW, we are planning London. See? Easy to not pay for something I don't want. Others can pay to ride Frozen.

I used to ride Maelstrom a few times each visit to WDW, and then eat and drink in Norway. I looked forward to it. It was a must-do. After Frozen, I won't be setting foot in that area.

I know Disney does all they can to turn us all into Pavlov's dogs...to condition us to spend money at WDW no matter what they do...but I'm not playing that game. Why should I pay for a product that I don't want? If anyone can answer that question I'd love to hear it.

Why are you posting this as a reply to me instead of sending it to WDW? I already posted a page or so ago that I agree with you on not buying what you don't want. If you don't like what WDW offers these days don't go, that is perfectly logical.

I still love what they offer so I will continue to go until I no longer feel that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom