Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Mr Anderson

In The Three Caballeros movie Donald is an American character who learns about Mexican and South American culture throughout the course of the film. The whole premise is each present he opens teaches him another thing. He represents the American movie audience. In the ride, as in the movie, he is shown as an American tourist seeing Mexican sights and places.

It would be one thing if Donald himself was presented as a part of Mexican culture, but he's not.

Gran Fiesta Tour is one of the most faithful translations of film to attraction. Right down to Donald's crazed obsession with human females (and just like in the movie, that's never really explained. Poor Daisy).
@Animaniac93-98 !!! YOU!! HOW DARE YOU!!! I AM SO MAD I CAN'T EVEN SEE STRAIGHT!!! Thanks to your detailed explanation, I now have the theme from Gran Fiesta Tour, Three Caballeros, stuck in my head!!
The nerve of some people on these forums...

spacemt354

Chili's
Those exhibits are a very small fraction of the overall space and take roughly 5-10 mins to see at a normal pace. I don't consider them to be in a position to make the over experience of Mexico at WS a educational one when the vast majority of space and activity is shopping, drinking and eating.

Your last post disregarded the historical/cultural education in Mexico entirely, claiming that you "aint seeing it."

Well, you're wrong. It exists.

Also, you've stated countless of times that you only use World Showcase for eating and shopping, so how would you know a) how much space the educational resources take up and b) how long it takes to observe at it at a normal pace? (since apparently you've never seen it)

If you or someone else finds educational value to WS that is great, I don't see it though, not in any degree to worry about what Olaf is going to do to it.

Education is not simply reserved for sitting in a class and taking notes. Education can be visceral, and it is at World Showcase. If you're too oblivious to see it, or simply don't want to, that's not my problem. But to claim that they don't exist just because you don't look for them is simply incorrect. And that's not an opinion. That's a fact. :)

For fans like you? Olaf won't do anything. Because you see nothing thematically wrong with it. And you can't be reasoned with. :)

Jake Wilson

I have such mixed feelings about this subject. I do like the show Frozen, do I think it is the greatest movie ever? No. Is it the greatest musical Disney has created? Close but I still think Lion King, Little Mermaid and Aladdin have ever lasting music as well. On the Theme park side of it I do think it deserves a spot in the world. EPCOT is not the place, it is how ever a park that is deserving new attractions and TLC.
The Gran Fiesta Tour is a fun ride for what it is and still informative for featuring Disney character. The Mexico pavilion is awesome and a wonderful way for people to learn about Mexico for all ages. Now back to Frozen and being in Norway, I know the land was based off of Norway but it is not really related to the movie in the script. I am all for EPCOT getting something that is new, updated and a way of clearing waits for other attractions, I am not happy it has to be Frozen overlaying a classic Disney ride that was informative to the area. Now if it is done in a tasteful way that can appease both adult and child with having the pavilion still based mostly off of Norway much like the Mexico pavilion then its a win win situation. If this becomes a Frozen "Magic Kingdom" type of attraction based entirely around the movie and the characters, I fear we are in the beginning stages of losing EPCOT all together...

If for some reason this is a complete success and keeps World Show Case the way it is supposed to be then I would be open to Rat ride and others being implemented. If not I say leave it for MK which will not happen due to how much is there, NFL and being a crown eater already. In the end I am happy just to finally have some new things coming to one of my favorite parks, I just wish I could have ridden the nostalgic Maelstrom one last time and shared that experience with my young son. It will now be told from great memories and pictures and youtube lol.

misterID

As soon as you walk inside the pavilion, you enter the "Animales Fantasticos" art collection displaying artifacts of Mexican folklore, These artifacts represent the state of Oaxaca, and as you tour the gallery, you can catch a glimpse into the culture and heritage dating back to ancient times. In fact, the pavilion itself represents the type of Mesoamerican pyramid you would expect to find in the state of Oaxaca.

In addition, the shops in the Plaza de los Amigos, offer a wide variety of souvenirs unique to the country of Mexico, including Kahlua, pottery, clothing, and more. It's interesting to look around the shops and learn about the novelties of other cultures.

And El Rio del Tiempo used to be a ride throughout Mexico specifically exploring its architecture and landscape. When The Three Caballeros arrived in 2007 for the renamed Grand Fiesta Tour, while I didn't agree with the input, at least they didn't tarnish the ride. The portions of the ride were kept intact for the most part. Also, the 1944 film Three Cabelleros, was a film commissioned by the United States to help the goodwill efforts towards South America, so the blend of the film's characters fits the greater purpose of the pavilion. Do I agree with its inclusion? Not really, I liked El Rio del Tiempo. But its apples to oranges when compared to what's happening next door in Norway.

How's that for education? :)

No, you have answered that the answer doesn't matter because you don't believe in it. :)
That was too nice of a post to waste on someone who is clearly not going to read it nor take any point seriously and is only looking for someone to respond to him so he can be the center of attention. But nice post :)

BigTxEars

Your last post disregarded the historical/cultural education in Mexico entirely, claiming that you "aint seeing it."

Well, you're wrong. It exists.

Also, you've stated countless of times that you only use World Showcase for eating and shopping, so how would you know a) how much space the educational resources take up and b) how long it takes to observe at it at a normal pace? (since apparently you've never seen it)

Education is not simply reserved for sitting in a class and taking notes. Education can be visceral, and it is at World Showcase. If you're too oblivious to see it, or simply don't want to, that's not my problem. But to claim that they don't exist just because you don't look for them is simply incorrect. And that's not an opinion. That's a fact. :)

For fans like you? Olaf won't do anything. Because you see nothing thematically wrong with it. And you can't be reasoned with. :)

So we are not going to ride Frozen together? Did I at least get that right?? :)

I did not disregard or say it did not exist it I said it (what you posted about) was minimal and gave specific examples of places that have more educational displays / relevance than WS that are not even trying to be educational. So I don't consider what you posted as a example of the educational value of Mexico in WS. Go back and read the post again if you want too to see that is exactly what I said, or stick with your inaccurate version above.

I am not blind, I am eating and shopping but with my eyes open. I would see it if it were there. Like I said I will be glad to double check the tequila cave next visit :)

Love the last part that I can't be reasoned with, because of my opinion on a animated frozen talking snowman.....who is replacing trolls and such on a 3 minute European based ride.......in Florida.....that about sums up your mindset about this whole matter......

But enough of this mess honestly, you won't or can't accept that your version of WS is just that, your version. Mine as well as other is different, it seems to you off that I see WS differently than you do. That is your burden to bear so I have no comment on that.

Enjoy your version of WS and I will enjoy mine. I will leave you with the last words......

BigTxEars

That was too nice of a post to waste on someone who is clearly not going to read it nor take any point seriously and is only looking for someone to respond to him so he can be the center of attention. But nice post :)

Oh I read it and responded to it, feel free to read that reply.

Next time your in WS do some people watching and tell me that the crowds are in WS for an educational experience. Disney is giving the crowds (their guest) what they want which is shopping and eating.

The guest want Frozen, now they are getting that.

We can all yammer (stole that from a earlier post!) on about what we think WS was/is/should be but at the end of the day it's a retail and food area, and soon to be home to a incredibly popular ride based on a hit Disney movie..poor little Olaf is getting blamed for compromising something that has been compromised for years and years.

See and all this time I did not even bring up all the non Norwegian princesses in Norway already, a couple of more "alleged foreigners" like Anna and Elsa are not going to bring Norway to it's knees.

aladdin2007

Just want to point out a couple things in an update, take it for what its worth:

Disney management was in the puffins roost today watching people taking pictures with the big troll, they were apparently trying to decide on whether it was going, moving, or staying etc.

Dont give up just yet on Norway being Norway, there are things taking place still behind the scenes in the process. Yes the ride is going frozen etc etc, but there is ongoing discussion/support involvement to showcase a Norwegian presence, coinciding with the frozen stuff, while other things will stay pretty much the same. Thats all I can say at the moment even though theres more to it, but Im happy to hear what I did. It sounds like Norway and frozen will still somehow be blended regarding the pavilions theme and or used together.

there is a new pin out with Olaf on it, but instead of Norway, it says Scandinavia. def doesnt match above info but interesting.

Mike S

Just want to point out a couple things in an update, take it for what its worth:

Disney management was in the puffins roost today watching people taking pictures with the big troll, they were apparently trying to decide on whether it was going, moving, or staying etc.

Dont give up just yet on Norway being Norway, there are things taking place still behind the scenes in the process. Yes the ride is going frozen etc etc, but there is ongoing discussion/support involvement to showcase a Norwegian presence, coinciding with the frozen stuff, while other things will stay pretty much the same. Thats all I can say at the moment even though theres more to it, but Im happy to hear what I did. It sounds like Norway and frozen will still somehow be blended regarding the pavilions theme and or used together.

there is a new pin out with Olaf on it, but instead of Norway, it says Scandinavia. def doesnt match above info but interesting.
The big troll might stay? That is good news but still only a small comfort. We'll have to see how the pavilion itself changes, we already know the ride itself won't be keeping any Norwegian influence unless they don't change the boats at all.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

They were probably looking at the troll and thinking, "if we break this into little pieces how many commemorative pins can we make from it?" ;)

Siren

I really can't believe this is true. Now, I know what they have said and all that but I really don't believe a word of it. You can't tell me that they designed a pretty but magical princess who looks modern and 'cool' but has problems and they didn't expect that to resonate with anyone? PLEASE. :rolleyes: It's princesses meets Phantom of the Opera meets Loki. I don't like her because I don't like how boring the character is (She had way too much potential) but apparently others see different. And I could see her popularity coming from the moment the movie started. How did Disney not?

OMG, I *love* Elsa, she is my absolute favorite Queen. It's pretty common knowledge that Disney intended for Anna to be the star. I would post some articles but I don't want to *try* to hard, it's very easy to find though. Elsa had a very tiny role in the film and Disney had plenty of Anna merchandise on hand, but hardly anything for Elsa. I hope we learn more about Elsa in Frozen 2 because I find Anna to be so annoying.

Monkee Girl

OMG, I *love* Elsa, she is my absolute favorite Queen. It's pretty common knowledge that Disney intended for Anna to be the star. I would post some articles but I don't want to *try* to hard, it's very easy to find though. Elsa had a very tiny role in the film and Disney had plenty of Anna merchandise on hand, but hardly anything for Elsa. I hope we learn more about Elsa in Frozen 2 because I find Anna to be so annoying.

Haha. Try not. Do or do not. there is no try. :cool:

No need to show proof. I have seen the posts and articles. I just personally don't buy what they are saying (that they didn't expect her popularity). It's obvious to me they changed the story to either give her a bigger part....or changed her from being the villain. Effectively dumbing her down (my opinion...I would have liked to see her as a redemptive villain). When I went in October (before the movie came out) they had just as many Elsa costumes as they did Anna. In fact, I feel Elsa got more the publicity just because she was 'the snow queen.' Our MNSSHP trick or treat bags were Frozen too now that I remember. I don't remember much else because the movie hadn't been out yet so no dolls/toys were really out. After that I remember pretty much equal billing for both of them.

Siren

Yup, still trying too hard....

And of course, you might have had more insightful opines as this had you posted anything since last November. But I suppose there was no need to defend the brand this hard in the interim....
I just have to know what you've got in that cup of yours. Really, what's that you're sippin' on? I only ask because, I want some too, so I can reach new heights and feel invincible behind the keyboard.

Ugh.... trying too hard? For what? You? So you can *like* me and *accept* me. Oh come, that's just way too easy -- I'm all too privy to how the system works here. All I have to do is be mild mannered and soft spoken and passively subscribe to the status quo, and of course, attack anyone who dares to voice a different opinion or think just slightly outside of the box -- and *wallah*, I'll be an internet rock star sensation, just like you. Right? I would, but, that's just way much too much effort.

Now, let's address this "defend the brand" thing. I've done no such thing, I don't take it that seriously which is quite evident by the low number of posts I have here. The posts that I have amassed over the course of *three* years, would only take three hours or so for you. For me, it's quality over quantity every time, so if I am too "extra" for you, so be it, it's not my problem if you can't relate.

If you had actually read the two posts that I have here, you would know that I did not immediately jump on the bandwagon and I did have mixed feelings about the demise of Maelstrom. I even suggested an alternate location and I got flamed for that too, so go figure.

I cannot fathom how anyone can be emotionally distraught over something like this. I only say this because I care. Someone here needs to be honest and say, snap out of it. I adore Maelstrom as much as the next person for its history and culture -- but now the time has come to move on and learn to embrace something new. And, let's face it, these trolls horrify kids, me too. The Frozen ride will grant the entire family an opportunity to enjoy the Frozen ride together. That's all I am saying.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2014/09/MEP433LARGE.jpg

I come here just to have a little fun and talk about Disney with no agenda. But, you can't bare to see anyone other than yourself enjoying themselves here. So, fine. You win. I am so done with this. It's all yours, rock star.

Cesar R M

Actually, it seems like it was a real pitch from some Imagineers to make a Frozen attraction on the quick and cheap and was sadly greenlit.
I would not be surprised if some imagineers finally noticed how to get up in the corporate ladder at Disney. And that is not with innovation or giving the best ideas ever. But find the cheapest way to everything to reduce costs.

so no surprise someone would be all happy, to give the most cheapest crap they can muster to satisfy their bosses.

Monkee Girl

Let's get this topic back on track, shall we?

I cannot fathom how anyone can be emotionally distraught over something like this. I only say this because I care.

It's not that we are crying ourselves to sleep over it. To me, my problem comes from the fact that Frozen, to me, is so over hyped at this point. I know it's popular. I appreciate that. But that doesn't mean Disney should be plastering it everywhere. Hollywood Studios should have been enough at this point. any ideas for a ride should wait until it is well thought out and the hype has died down. But on top of Studios, and Maelstrom, we have Elsa doing Cinderella's Castle. Heck, didn't Aurora get booted off a float so Anna and Elsa could be there instead (pretty float, btw)? It's just too much and I think they really need to take a step back and just chill. And, as I said in previous posts, it's not just Disney forcing the Frozen thing on me. My dance school was putting Frozen into every activity they had this past year. So when I got the news, it just was the straw that broke the camel's back. What was an ok/cute movie to watch is now something people couldn't pay me to sit through. So to hear one of my favorite rides is being re-worked for Frozen, it just irritated me to no end.

Someone here needs to be honest and say, snap out of it.

Actually, I really don't think it needs to be said. Someone a few dozen pages back make a great remark about how it is keeping us from doing something bad. Not that we would, but again, it's a place to vent. That is all we are doing is venting over something. We have that right on a discussion board just like someone else has the right not to open it and read if they feel people need to get over something. I would never go to a board where people are lamenting the Adventurers club and tell them 'get over it.' They need a place to let it out and that is what this thread does for many of us. We know the ride is coming. We know there is nothing we can do. And we know it will be successful and eventually Maelstrom will be forgotten. but we still need a place to talk about it.

I adore Maelstrom as much as the next person for its history and culture -- but now the time has come to move on and learn to embrace something new.

This isn't based just to you, I just hate this way of thinking sometimes. We embrace many new things and new things are always welcome; when done right. When something is well planned and put in a space that needs something in it and fits the theme, then it's great. But when the something new feels 'forced' and fake because the purpose of it is to simply push something out fast and cheap then it doesn't work for me. Maelstrom is fine the way it is, a little tinkering here and there but there is no need to remove it. However, Studios and other places in EPCOT are in dire need of something new. Had they decided to put a ride there instead, this thread would not be existing. To me, Frozen deserves as much as Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast got when they came out. A show at the Hollywood Studios. It sounds like that sing a long is a big hit. They should have just made that the permanent show for the studios and would have been enough.

And, let's face it, these trolls horrify kids, me too. The Frozen ride will grant the entire family an opportunity to enjoy the Frozen ride together. That's all I am saying.

This I dissagre with most. Lots of little kids go on this ride and have no problem with it. They go on Pirates of the Caribbean with no problem either. And kids 'back in the day' had scarier things to watch with no issues. Using 'kids are scared of trolls' is just an excuse to dumb the kids down more. They can handle it and if they are too young to handle it, maybe the parents should show better judgement. My little cousin has been going on it since she was 3 and loved it. My favorite ride as a kid was Snow White's Scary Adventure. sometimes a little fear is good and fun.

Phil12

That sounds promising. I think they'll keep the boats and the story line will revolve around the guests being time traveling Norwegian Vikings that have magically appeared from the future to save Elsa and Anna from the evil Hans. We'll need help from Kristoff, Olaf, Sven, Sitron and the Trolls to keep Elsa and Anna from being frozen for all eternity. Since we're Norwegian Vikings from the future we'll have high power laser guns that we'll use to save the day! The attraction will demonstrate that when animals, people, snowmen and trolls all work together then peace, harmony and goodness shall follow them forever after.

Sped2424

tumblr_ncbtfqIkwv1rb3d4bo1_1280.png

I feel like frozen could have gone in the mk easily. :< Preferably behind dumbo. With a little reworking they could have done it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom