Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

lazyboy97o

Right.

Like I said. It's "Norwegian" because it's been hyper-justified (largely by big-headed Imagineers) to be so.
The animators are the ones who looked to Norway.

Well, I finally saw the pictures and my position is firmly buh-bye Maelstrom. It's time to make room for something new.

I try hard to remain objective, because not all change is good and I try not to jump on the "new" bandwagon, but that clearly doesn't apply here. No one is "really" going to be distraught over losing this, it's so drab.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2014/09/MEP433LARGE.jpg

Frozen Maelstrom
frozen2.jpg~original

Photo%20Jan%2004%2C%209%2041%2027%20PM.jpg.opt634x794o0%2C0s634x794.jpg

Maelstrom_Frozen_Overlay_Olaf.jpg

Norway_Frozen_Overlay.jpg

Awww, Frozestrom is going to be so beautiful & sparkly -- even the iciest of hearts will surely melt! Just imagine on a icky hot summer day, being able to take this cool snowy ice adventure and likewise for the Christmas holidays - the theme just works incredibly well here. This may become the new Toy Story Mania or 7DMT and that in itself is a huge accomplishment.
:joyfull: Those images aren't real. And cold snowy is not a theme.

DisneyGentleman

Well...

It's a Danish story by a Danish author with an opening theme:

That is a Danish traditional folk song.

But it's NORWAY! Because WDI SAID SO!

Because all Scandinavians are the same!

Screw cultural experiences. Austrians are German too, and Scots are Brits (ok, they just voted that they are, but that's aside the point).

It is LAZY to slap Frozen here. I don't mind it, and if they do it well, I'll be the first to say it was well done. But, to remove a ride that talked about the PEOPLE and HISTORY of Norway (that was its role) in such an amazing way, and replace it with Frozen just to hike park attendance (which, it won't in a few years...Frozen, like Avatar, was a fad)?

LAZY!

It's the same sort of lazy thinking that makes them think that Avatarland will "save" Animal Kingdom, when there is so much else WRONG with the park that needs addressed first.

They will make it up to you by serving Danish pastries with a video clip of Victor Borge and an intro movie directed by Lars von Trier.

misterID

Well, I finally saw the pictures and my position is firmly buh-bye Maelstrom. It's time to make room for something new.

I try hard to remain objective, because not all change is good and I try not to jump on the "new" bandwagon, but that clearly doesn't apply here. No one is "really" going to be distraught over losing this, it's so drab.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2014/09/MEP433LARGE.jpg

Frozen Maelstrom
frozen2.jpg~original

Photo%20Jan%2004%2C%209%2041%2027%20PM.jpg.opt634x794o0%2C0s634x794.jpg

Maelstrom_Frozen_Overlay_Olaf.jpg

Norway_Frozen_Overlay.jpg

Awww, Frozestrom is going to be so beautiful & sparkly -- even the iciest of hearts will surely melt! Just imagine on a icky hot summer day, being able to take this cool snowy ice adventure and likewise for the Christmas holidays - the theme just works incredibly well here. This may become the new Toy Story Mania or 7DMT and that in itself is a huge accomplishment.
Maelstrom is not a ride I'm enamored with. I always assumed Fozen would be an overall better attraction. But you've managed, by posting these comparisons, to make Maelstrom actually look fresh and cool.

spacemt354

Chili's
Go back like 25 pages or so, I asked someone to tell me what in Mexico is educational. I picked that because it is the first country we always enter. Feel free to list it cause I ain't seeing it.
As soon as you walk inside the pavilion, you enter the "Animales Fantasticos" art collection displaying artifacts of Mexican folklore, These artifacts represent the state of Oaxaca, and as you tour the gallery, you can catch a glimpse into the culture and heritage dating back to ancient times. In fact, the pavilion itself represents the type of Mesoamerican pyramid you would expect to find in the state of Oaxaca.

In addition, the shops in the Plaza de los Amigos, offer a wide variety of souvenirs unique to the country of Mexico, including Kahlua, pottery, clothing, and more. It's interesting to look around the shops and learn about the novelties of other cultures.

And El Rio del Tiempo used to be a ride throughout Mexico specifically exploring its architecture and landscape. When The Three Caballeros arrived in 2007 for the renamed Grand Fiesta Tour, while I didn't agree with the input, at least they didn't tarnish the ride. The portions of the ride were kept intact for the most part. Also, the 1944 film Three Cabelleros, was a film commissioned by the United States to help the goodwill efforts towards South America, so the blend of the film's characters fits the greater purpose of the pavilion. Do I agree with its inclusion? Not really, I liked El Rio del Tiempo. But its apples to oranges when compared to what's happening next door in Norway.

How's that for education? :)

I answered your question three times now. Norway and WS do not need a detailed and documented historical link to a character or group of characters for them to "fit" in that pavilion IMO. I have given examples and reason why I think this. Feel free to go back and read those or don't, it is up to you.

No, you have answered that the answer doesn't matter because you don't believe in it. :)

Last edited:

Cesar R M

GotG was fantastic. Well written, excellent effects and just a fun story.

I spared myself from Bay's TMNT. In fact, I've spared myself from Bay since Transformers 2.
you did well, because TMNT by itself was 90% Transformers like plot with a ridiculous plot thief from the Amazing Spiderman.

Stevek

This is a tough one for me. While I loved the idea of riding Maelstrom (all of 2 times), I always walked off the ride thinking it was "neat" but it never really lived up to my own expectations. There was a certain coolness of going forward and backward and forward again with their unique ride system, but it didn't really make me more interested in their culture. While the "fit" is questionable (i.e. it's not set in Norway), the look and feel of the movie is clearly Scandanavian based and the average consumer will make the connection.

And that's the reality of it...Disney is playing to the average consumer, not you or me or any of the borderline nuts (which I say out of love) that look at the parks as more than a "theme park." This ride will be a monster success and hopefully (i'm not holding my breath) spur more investment in the park. That being said, my concern is that the investment will result in more rides that potentially water down World Showcase. We need things like Wonders of China, O'Canada, Impressions of France & The American Adventure...but I wouldn't be surprised if we get Ratatouille at some point. Unfortunately, today's average tourists probably wants less of the former and more of the latter.

P.S. not sure where I saw it mentioned but someone threw out the idea of moving It's A Small World to somewhere in WS...I actually like that to be honest. It would be a great fit thematically (just not sure where to put it) and it would free up some prime Real Estate in Fantasyland. Now I don't think it will ever happen but it is an interesting concept.

matt9112

My problem with the frozen and maelstrom has nothing to do with the latter...I could care less if maelstrom is there or not and I shed not tears over change....however my problem comes with the cartooning of world showcase...besides the whole (I get it it's norway blah blah blah) it thematically is not fit for the location....let alone anywhere in epcot...and before somebody pipes up with Mexican boat ride refrences sit back down...one bad decision is not some gateway drug for more bad decisions (besides the ducks fly around a real Mexico on screen not a fake village) in a perfect world this could sit somewhere over in the park that needs attractions the least. But more so it could surely fit in the studios somewhere for more relevance. But matt yout say there's already a norway location and look they can just replace this ride and life is great. Yes your right....life is great for TDO when they can create an attraction that will draw 90 minutes lines all day long with a glorified refurbishment and switch a roo. You don't get it....whatever costs the least to make the most is what they will do..it is how the company is currently operated.

Cesar R M

Interesting postulation.

Considering how much license Disney took with the story, I'd still say no.

The Snow Queen is a captivating and quite scary tale.

Frozen is about teenage angst and would fit in with a Disney After School Special, at best, were it not for fantastic animation and great music...though, I will say about the music, it doesn't fit the MOVIE, for the most part.

But, it is good music.
I wouldn't say great animation honestly.
there was a lot of clipping and animation errors in the first revisions.
some even made to the final version.
There was already a discussion about this.
I honestly would take RISE OF THE GUARDIANS from dreamworks (animation and 3d quality) over Frozen any day.

EPCOTCenterLover

This is a tough one for me. While I loved the idea of riding Maelstrom (all of 2 times), I always walked off the ride thinking it was "neat" but it never really lived up to my own expectations. There was a certain coolness of going forward and backward and forward again with their unique ride system, but it didn't really make me more interested in their culture. While the "fit" is questionable (i.e. it's not set in Norway), the look and feel of the movie is clearly Scandanavian based and the average consumer will make the connection.

And that's the reality of it...Disney is playing to the average consumer, not you or me or any of the borderline nuts (which I say out of love) that look at the parks as more than a "theme park." This ride will be a monster success and hopefully (i'm not holding my breath) spur more investment in the park. That being said, my concern is that the investment will result in more rides that potentially water down World Showcase. We need things like Wonders of China, O'Canada, Impressions of France & The American Adventure...but I wouldn't be surprised if we get Ratatouille at some point. Unfortunately, today's average tourists probably wants less of the former and more of the latter.

P.S. not sure where I saw it mentioned but someone threw out the idea of moving It's A Small World to somewhere in WS...I actually like that to be honest. It would be a great fit thematically (just not sure where to put it) and it would free up some prime Real Estate in Fantasyland. Now I don't think it will ever happen but it is an interesting concept.
World Showcase is becoming It's a Small World on a grand scale.

GiveMeTheMusic

Since when does the "average consumer" prefer long lines and dislike grand experiences?

Bingo. "Average consumers" are the worst hurt by these kind of short-sighted decisions. Maelstrom is not a high capacity attraction and demand will far outpace its capacity.

IF ONLY DISNEY COULD BUILD FROZEN A BRAND NEW HIGH CAPACITY ATTRACTION WITH HIGH PRODUCTION VALUES. They can't afford it though! They're in the poorhouse to hear the fans tell it! Funny how every time prices go up the same fans say it's necessary to pay for new attractions...but they can't ever afford new attractions?

It just isn't rocket science people. It just isn't.

Stevek

Since when does the "average consumer" prefer long lines and dislike grand experiences?
Have you seen the frozen meet and greet lines? Seriously, a meet and greet. The lines don't get any longer and experience couldn't be less grand IMO (unless you have a under 8 yr old daughter). There are plenty of long lines in WDW and quite honestly, nobody knows whether or not Frozen will be a grand experience. We can all make our own guesses but we just don't know at this point. Now assuming the lines are very long, the question becomes where are they gonna put all those folks...which I'm sure someone has already asked in the first 150 pages.

lazyboy97o

Have you seen the frozen meet and greet lines? Seriously, a meet and greet. The lines don't get any longer and experience couldn't be less grand IMO (unless you have a under 8 yr old daughter). There are plenty of long lines in WDW and quite honestly, nobody knows whether or not Frozen will be a grand experience. We can all make our own guesses but we just don't know at this point. Now assuming the lines are very long, the question becomes where are they gonna put all those folks...which I'm sure someone has already asked in the first 150 pages.
A meet and greet is a known experience. Trends point to big films getting big rides, and the biggest animated film is going to be getting a very small ride. We know the new attraction cannot be too grand because those who have ridden Maelstrom know the small size of the space.

BigTxEars

As soon as you walk inside the pavilion, you enter the "Animales Fantasticos" art collection displaying artifacts of Mexican folklore, These artifacts represent the state of Oaxaca, and as you tour the gallery, you can catch a glimpse into the culture and heritage dating back to ancient times. In fact, the pavilion itself represents the type of Mesoamerican pyramid you would expect to find in the state of Oaxaca.

In addition, the shops in the Plaza de los Amigos, offer a wide variety of souvenirs unique to the country of Mexico, including Kahlua, pottery, clothing, and more. It's interesting to look around the shops and learn about the novelties of other cultures.

And El Rio del Tiempo used to be a ride throughout Mexico specifically exploring its architecture and landscape. When The Three Caballeros arrived in 2007 for the renamed Grand Fiesta Tour, while I didn't agree with the input, at least they didn't tarnish the ride. The portions of the ride were kept intact for the most part. Also, the 1944 film Three Cabelleros, was a film commissioned by the United States to help the goodwill efforts towards South America, so the blend of the film's characters fits the greater purpose of the pavilion. Do I agree with its inclusion? Not really, I liked El Rio del Tiempo. But its apples to oranges when compared to what's happening next door in Norway.

How's that for education? :)

No, you have answered that the answer doesn't matter because you don't believe in it. :)

Those exhibits are a very small fraction of the overall space and take roughly 5-10 mins to see at a normal pace. I don't consider them to be in a position to make the over experience of Mexico at WS a educational one when the vast majority of space and activity is shopping, drinking and eating. For example we have a local restaurant that was built near a clay pit, they have a a collection of dinosaur bones on display that is larger than the collection you listed at Mexico WS. I don't consider that restaurant educational either. But they do have really good onion rings.

But everyone can decide for themselves the education value of WS. I saw more Mexican culture Saturday night at the Astro game than at anytime at WS. They had a Fiesta Patrias night at the park, sadly the nachos still kind sucked that game like all the other games :)

I have already given my opinion on the gifts in Mexcio, I can't get past the "I Taco Mexico" shirt that was made in Asia.

If you or someone else finds educational value to WS that is great, I don't see it though, not in any degree to worry about what Olaf is going to do to it.

Stevek

A meet and greet is a known experience. Trends point to big films getting big rides, and the biggest animated film is going to be getting a very small ride. We know the new attraction cannot be too grand because those who have ridden Maelstrom know the small size of the space.
Grand doesn't need to be in size, right? Could it be a short but very detailed experience? Could they expand the size of the pavillion at all (extend ride building towards Mexico)? I have no clue, none of us do. And just so we're all on the same page, I'm not really in favor of a Frozen redo. Just commenting that I think that it will likely be of more interest/generate more excitement with the average guest. Could be a total nightmare experience as well...long lines for a very short ride as others have commented. Time will tell.

lazyboy97o

Grand doesn't need to be in size, right? Could it be a short but very detailed experience? Could they expand the size of the pavillion at all (extend ride building towards Mexico)? I have no clue, none of us do. And just so we're all on the same page, I'm not really in favor of a Frozen redo. Just commenting that I think that it will likely be of more interest/generate more excitement with the average guest. Could be a total nightmare experience as well...long lines for a very short ride as others have commented. Time will tell.
It seems rather unlikely that an expanded ride would be designed in 6-9 months and built in about 18.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom