Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I wonder how different this situation would be if it was the Denmark pavilion and not Norway. At least the argument of The Snow Queen being a story from that country could somewhat fit even though Frozen is completely different. Still wouldn't be a good fit for WS in the end.
Interesting postulation.

Considering how much license Disney took with the story, I'd still say no.

The Snow Queen is a captivating and quite scary tale.

Frozen is about teenage angst and would fit in with a Disney After School Special, at best, were it not for fantastic animation and great music...though, I will say about the music, it doesn't fit the MOVIE, for the most part.

But, it is good music.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I guess the searching idea makes a neat story, but I've never really understood how Gran Fiesta Tour is considered much of an improvement. It's almost all what was there. Most of the animation was added on top of the existing footage.
I didn't say the current ride was good. I said I liked it better.

FigmentJedi

Interesting postulation.

Considering how much license Disney took with the story, I'd still say no.

The Snow Queen is a captivating and quite scary tale.

Frozen is about teenage angst and would fit in with a Disney After School Special, at best, were it not for fantastic animation and great music...though, I will say about the music, it doesn't fit the MOVIE, for the most part.

But, it is good music.
A proper adaptation of the story would have made for a great Disney road movie. And I call bullcrap on all those "Oh it's too hard to do" comments from Disney. Instead of adapting the story, they just got caught up with the concept of a Snow Queen at the expense of everything else and that seeped into pretty much every post-Walt attempt at it. There was a freaking Snow Queen draft with aged up versions of the kids where Gerda became a shallow antagonist figure and Kai married the Snow Queen. Just awful.

Meanwhile, Russia's made two animated Snow Queens that actually paid attention to the source: The 50s classic that inspired a young Hayao Miyazaki to stick with animation and a decent CG film that came out a year before Frozen that made the troll into the comic relief sidekick that got sold over here as a mockbuster.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
A proper adaptation of the story would have made for a great Disney road movie. And I call bullcrap on all those "Oh it's too hard to do" comments from Disney. Instead of adapting the story, they just got caught up with the concept of a Snow Queen at the expense of everything else and that seeped into pretty much every post-Walt attempt at it. There was a freaking Snow Queen draft with aged up versions of the kids where Gerda became a shallow antagonist figure and Kai married the Snow Queen. Just awful.

Meanwhile, Russia's made two animated Snow Queens that actually paid attention to the source: The 50s classic that inspired a young Hayao Miyazaki to stick with animation and a decent CG film that came out a year before Frozen that made the troll into the comic relief sidekick that got sold over here as a mockbuster.
Yeah. I've only seen the latter Russian version, but it is pretty bad. And "Frozen" fans don't get that.

And they don't get that you can admit the production was fantastic.

But, you can still think it's a bad movie and an even worse story.

It's like talking to a fan of "Pocahontas"

That was a terrible movie.

But, people loved it. Dunno who (though the Box office didn't love it quite as much as Frozen)

Mulan was a far better film, but didn't (at the time) hold the same stage as that mess of mixing up history and fairy tale, with weak characters and mediocre and predictable plot.

One thing I will give Frozen, it has an unpredictable plot. But, not in a good way. It has this because they were so intent to be able to sell Elsa merch afterwards, that they watered down the Snow Queen until she was just a whiny teenager. And her "empowerment" song "let it go" is completely cliche.

UGH...

I really don't like this movie...if you can't tell. It's not BAD, but it's not good either.

Mike S

Yeah. I've only seen the latter Russian version, but it is pretty bad. And "Frozen" fans don't get that.

And they don't get that you can admit the production was fantastic.

But, you can still think it's a bad movie and an even worse story.

It's like talking to a fan of "Pocahontas"

That was a terrible movie.

But, people loved it. Dunno who (though the Box office didn't love it quite as much as Frozen)

Mulan was a far better film, but didn't (at the time) hold the same stage as that mess of mixing up history and fairy tale, with weak characters and mediocre and predictable plot.

One thing I will give Frozen, it has an unpredictable plot. But, not in a good way. It has this because they were so intent to be able to sell Elsa merch afterwards, that they watered down the Snow Queen until she was just a whiny teenager. And her "empowerment" song "let it go" is completely cliche.

UGH...

I really don't like this movie...if you can't tell. It's not BAD, but it's not good either.
I'm a fan of Frozen but I can accept your differing opinion. It is a much better movie than Pocahontas though, but still doesn't touch The Lion King for me ;)

Matt_Black

Very true. It was a unique IP, made just for the Park, with promotional stuff and all (something Eisner was quite good at, frankly)

Actually, that was originally intended to be an Aliens attraction. However, as that would have been TOO intense (read up on WHY exactly the xenomorphs look the way they do, because that was very intentional), they instead went with something similar but different, while still having a big scary alien drip goo on you.

Matt_Black

I personally think The Lion King is a bit overrated. It's certainly very good, probably in a tie with Lady & The Tramp as the best of the talking animal movies (with Bolt coming in 3rd place, as that movie hit so many sweet spots for me), but it's not nearly as good as many people make it out to be.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I personally think The Lion King is a bit overrated. It's certainly very good, probably in a tie with Lady & The Tramp as the best of the talking animal movies (with Bolt coming in 3rd place, as that movie hit so many sweet spots for me), but it's not nearly as good as many people make it out to be.
I...actually agree.

However, it did at least captivate you for the whole story arch.

But, while it's generally seen as the "pinnacle" of the Disney Renaissance, I actually think it was the start of the decline.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That's technically what happens when you reach a pinnacle. ;)
Haha

True!

Well, by "decline", it was when they started inviting popular pop artists to have major influence over their soundtracks (not just do a popular cover), rather than create their own.

A trend that carried for over a decade, with mixed results.

Note, I'm not saying it's all bad (Lion King or Pop artists doing soundtracks)...just that it has mixed results.

Sped2424

Well...

It's a Danish story by a Danish author with an opening theme:

That is a Danish traditional folk song.

But it's NORWAY! Because WDI SAID SO!

Because all Scandinavians are the same!

Screw cultural experiences. Austrians are German too, and Scots are Brits (ok, they just voted that they are, but that's aside the point).

It is LAZY to slap Frozen here. I don't mind it, and if they do it well, I'll be the first to say it was well done. But, to remove a ride that talked about the PEOPLE and HISTORY of Norway (that was its role) in such an amazing way, and replace it with Frozen just to hike park attendance (which, it won't in a few years...Frozen, like Avatar, was a fad)?

LAZY!

It's the same sort of lazy thinking that makes them think that Avatarland will "save" Animal Kingdom, when there is so much else WRONG with the park that needs addressed first.

The same is a mixture of Sami folk singing and Danish hymns. So it's a blend of the two, the sami people are found in parts of northern norway.

Matt_Black

Haha

True!

Well, by "decline", it was when they started inviting popular pop artists to have major influence over their soundtracks (not just do a popular cover), rather than create their own.

A trend that carried for over a decade, with mixed results.

Note, I'm not saying it's all bad (Lion King or Pop artists doing soundtracks)...just that it has mixed results.

There weren't actually all that many. Tarzan & Brother Bear had Phil Collins (and he worked with someone) and both were commercially successful, though only the former is considered a classic. Sting WAS supposed to be a bigger influence on Emperor's New Groove, but his role was diminished significantly. Even then, though, he's responsible for the much improved ending we got. Johnny Rze... Rez... The Goo Goo Dolls guy did the two songs for Treasure Planet and while the movie is at best considered a cult classic, I don't think you can point to him as the cause, as they're both very nice songs. So, with Lion King, that's all of five movies from in a 20-year period. Technically, I suppose you COULD include The Princess & The Frog, as that had Randy Newman, though he'd be doing movies for a good long while at that point.

Siren

There are no bigger issues or pressing external issues. The decision is about again exploiting Frozen as quickly and cheaply as possible. The announcement and follow up comments don't even bother with connecting the film to Norway.

Well, I finally saw the pictures and my position is firmly buh-bye Maelstrom. It's time to make room for something new.

I try hard to remain objective, because not all change is good and I try not to jump on the "new" bandwagon, but that clearly doesn't apply here. No one is "really" going to be distraught over losing this, it's so drab.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2014/09/MEP433LARGE.jpg

Frozen Maelstrom
frozen2.jpg~original

Photo%20Jan%2004%2C%209%2041%2027%20PM.jpg.opt634x794o0%2C0s634x794.jpg

Maelstrom_Frozen_Overlay_Olaf.jpg

Norway_Frozen_Overlay.jpg

Awww, Frozestrom is going to be so beautiful & sparkly -- even the iciest of hearts will surely melt! Just imagine on a icky hot summer day, being able to take this cool snowy ice adventure and likewise for the Christmas holidays - the theme just works incredibly well here. This may become the new Toy Story Mania or 7DMT and that in itself is a huge accomplishment.

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-22_4-47-8.jpeg
    upload_2014-9-22_4-47-8.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 37

Siren

UGH...

Elsa's popularity caught Disney entirely off guard. Anna was supposed to be "the" star of the movie, but people love both sisters.

Mike S

Well, I finally saw the pictures and my position is firmly buh-bye Maelstrom. It's time to make room for something new.

I try hard to remain objective, because not all change is good and I try not to jump on the "new" bandwagon, but that clearly doesn't apply here. No one is "really" going to be distraught over losing this, it's so drab.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2014/09/MEP433LARGE.jpg

Frozen Maelstrom
frozen2.jpg~original

Photo%20Jan%2004%2C%209%2041%2027%20PM.jpg.opt634x794o0%2C0s634x794.jpg

Maelstrom_Frozen_Overlay_Olaf.jpg

Norway_Frozen_Overlay.jpg

Awww, Frozestrom is going to be so beautiful & sparkly -- even the iciest of hearts will surely melt! Just imagine on a icky hot summer day, being able to take this cool snowy ice adventure and likewise for the Christmas holidays - the theme just works incredibly well here. This may become the new Toy Story Mania or 7DMT and that in itself is a huge accomplishment.
You do realize those pictures are photo shopped right? The ride will most likely NOT end up looking like that.

Rinx

Ew.

Monkee Girl

I wonder how different this situation would be if it was the Denmark pavilion and not Norway. At least the argument of The Snow Queen being a story from that country could somewhat fit even though Frozen is completely different. Still wouldn't be a good fit for WS in the end.

I think it would be quite different. If this were the Denmark Pavilion, Disney might have made the actual Snow Queen because I am sure they had this whole thing in mind when they chose the location for the film (merchandising!). If it were the actual Snow Queen in Denmark, it would (to me) count as part of the country's tradition/literature heritage and wouldn't be so hard to swallow. But then, of course, they never made a Canada ride for Anne of Green Gables :p. Just saying it would be a better fit than Frozen. However, if they did have a Denmark Pavilion and had a ride, I would want to see the Country's origin/nationality featured because I know nothing about it. I wouldn't want that space wasted on a fictional movie Loosely based on the architecture.

hmmm....maybe they should add a Dr. Who ride in the UK....

Monkee Girl

Elsa's popularity caught Disney entirely off guard. Anna was supposed to be "the" star of the movie, but people love both sisters.

I really can't believe this is true. Now, I know what they have said and all that but I really don't believe a word of it. You can't tell me that they designed a pretty but magical princess who looks modern and 'cool' but has problems and they didn't expect that to resonate with anyone? PLEASE. :rolleyes: It's princesses meets Phantom of the Opera meets Loki. I don't like her because I don't like how boring the character is (She had way too much potential) but apparently others see different. And I could see her popularity coming from the moment the movie started. How did Disney not?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom